No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: Luke C] #6683608
12/04/19 11:25 PM
12/04/19 11:25 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline
trapper
wamp  Offline
trapper
W

indiana
I understand raw bones aren't as bad as a bone that had high temperature applied, this heat changes the way a bone breaks when chew.
I was told this years ago.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: Luke C] #6683624
12/04/19 11:49 PM
12/04/19 11:49 PM
lower alabama
URBANTRAPPER1 Offline
trapper
URBANTRAPPER1  Offline
trapper

lower alabama
I disagree about the bones not being dangerous to dogs. My dogs do not get any bones of any kind. Reason being, I had a blue heeler a few years ago, that had consumed a pork chop bone that ruptured and pinned his stomach his stomach closed near his lower intestine. This caused the food or water he consumed over the next day to fill his stomach and couldn’t move down the tract. Wound up making his stomach spin and he had to be put down. The vet that I took him to say that this occurred several times a year due to the same issue.
Didn’t mean to run this thread off tract, just saying that people that don’t feed bones aren’t “babying” their dog. If I put time and effort into training a dog, I’m not going to risk another by feeding him bones.

Franklin Wildlife Removal Services
251-721-3011
Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: Luke C] #6683640
12/05/19 12:02 AM
12/05/19 12:02 AM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Yes we did pick most of the large bones out of the coon stew before adding it to the dry dogfood. Not so much so the dogs wouldn't eat them but more so there weren't small pointy bones laying around the dog areas to get in a tractor tire while cleaning up. Don't remember how long we boiled them. Just kept checking it till the bones would come out easy. Never had a problem with dogs being sick from eating cooked coon. Have had dogs get wormy from eating too much raw pork. Like Danny said above beaver meat is awesome dog food, they love the stuff uncooked and it sure makes some fat sassy dogs. We have also always fed our deer bones and trimmings to the dogs. Old timers would say feeding deer to a dog will make him run deer but I've never seen that to be true. Just don't feed them any of the deer parts that still have hair on them like legs and feet.

Last edited by Davisfur; 12/05/19 12:17 AM.
Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: Luke C] #6683681
12/05/19 01:38 AM
12/05/19 01:38 AM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Buzzards won’t eat the coins here just skunks. Dogs won’t even drag them out of the yard. Now lay beaver out there and it will disappear before you can blink. Trap beaver for good dog food and I like it too.

Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: Luke C] #6683759
12/05/19 08:15 AM
12/05/19 08:15 AM
Georgia
L
Luke C Offline OP
trapper
Luke C  Offline OP
trapper
L

Georgia
Okay thanks for the input and advice guys. I guess I'll try the boiling method and see if my dog likes it. If not, we have the local, feral cats that are always begging for more food lol.

Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: URBANTRAPPER1] #6683764
12/05/19 08:18 AM
12/05/19 08:18 AM
Georgia
L
Luke C Offline OP
trapper
Luke C  Offline OP
trapper
L

Georgia
Sorry to hear that. My girl is a Collie/blue heeler mix. I know them blue heelers form a bond with their partners like no other.

Re: Raccoon meat for dog food? [Re: Davisfur] #6683794
12/05/19 08:46 AM
12/05/19 08:46 AM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
Originally Posted by Davisfur
When we fed 25 - 30 head of coonhounds we used to feed them coon all the time. Just like catch 22 said we had a big pot that we set on the wood stove in the fur shed and we'd throw 3 or 4 coon carcasses in it and boil them till the meat fell off the bone. Then we'd pour the water and meat mixture into 50 pounds of the absolute cheapest chunk dog food you could get and stir it all together until it became kind of a mush. You talk about some hounds liking a bowl clean buddy they loved it! And would get fat and slick and shiny! Been over 20 years since we boiled a coon and I can still remember the smell like it was yesterday.

X2 that's the way I was taught as a kid. We would throw a lil bucket of corn in with the boiling coons. Just like was said them coon hounds would go crazy over that stuff mixed in with meaty gravy cheapo dog food.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread