No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: SkyeDancer] #6684311
12/05/19 07:33 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
Originally Posted by Boco
By the time you figure out the depends part it will likely be all over.
Trying to hold out alone would be a miserable existance and only a matter of a short time before you were gone.
Only way to survive would be as part of a "tribe" or tight knit community sharing skills and defense and work.

I
That's BS! The more people involved the more desent and devision. I will take my chances alone or with a small trusted group any time

History shows it's not BS. If you have prepped and have everything you need to get by for a while you have to guard it. Who's going to guard it while you cut more firewood, tend your garden, or fetch drinking water?

People band together and formed communities for a reason. Strength in numbers and division of labor. Everyone can take a turn at growing food while others pull guard duty and so on.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6684313
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Its been many moons since I was in a power station but if I remember right, those disconnects are after the transformers. I have seen a conductor melt down under a steam turbine. It turned the concrete walls of the room they where into glassy looking stuff. And someone let go of a bucket of rice skins and the wire handle of that bucket destroyed a Rolls Royce Avon Turbine in seconds. ... Powerstations are fun places to work in.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Mike in A-town] #6684452
12/05/19 09:38 PM
12/05/19 09:38 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Mike

Your thinking is nieve given the idea of an EMP. You will be dealing with people who are entitled and think they should have what they want when they want it. Your concept might work if initially discovering america. But not in an immediate emergency.... They may get there eventually, but not in the middle of a crisis

Last edited by SkyeDancer; 12/05/19 09:40 PM.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6684526
12/05/19 10:29 PM
12/05/19 10:29 PM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline
trapper
Mike C  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
I have to agree with Mike on this one. No man is an island. His point of needing help is well founded. Whether that consist of family members or friends and neighbors, small groups of people would have the best chance of survival. Besides his points of security and division of labor you also have a more diverse pool of knowledge and you have folks to help out during times of injury or illness (That are survivable).

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6684530
12/05/19 10:31 PM
12/05/19 10:31 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Plus if you have ever worked on a 5 man railroad construction gang it is amazing the amount of work 5 strong men working as a gang can accomplish.
A couple of gangs of men could throw up a formidable and sizeable fortification in short order.Entire winter supplies of wood etc could be put up in a few days, and like the natives two or three good hunters,in the right locations, could supply meat and hides for 20 or 30 people for winter.There would be lots of things women and children of all ages could do also.
No doubt a tribal society would thrive.

Last edited by Boco; 12/05/19 10:40 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6684597
12/05/19 11:04 PM
12/05/19 11:04 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Get far away from any populated area as fast as possible.....if you have a good group take them with you.

smile

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Marty] #6684611
12/05/19 11:12 PM
12/05/19 11:12 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Marty
Get far away from any populated area as fast as possible..

smile

I try to do that already,,and theres not even a disaster yet!! laugh

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6684635
12/05/19 11:29 PM
12/05/19 11:29 PM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
A nuclear explosion isn't the only way an EMP happens If the earth gets hit with an X class solar flair, the same effect happens!!! Check out the Corrention (SP) effect that happened in the late 1870's or 1880's, it fryed the telegraph wires and heated the rail road rails so hot that the cross ties caught on fire !
Dennis

Last edited by iaduckhntr; 12/05/19 11:29 PM. Reason: missed key

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6684697
12/06/19 12:25 AM
12/06/19 12:25 AM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline
trapper
Mike C  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
IAD - that was the Carrington event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Mike C] #6684705
12/06/19 12:46 AM
12/06/19 12:46 AM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Mike C
I have to agree with Mike on this one. No man is an island. His point of needing help is well founded. Whether that consist of family members or friends and neighbors, small groups of people would have the best chance of survival. Besides his points of security and division of labor you also have a more diverse pool of knowledge and you have folks to help out during times of injury or illness (That are survivable).

Agree, if all are known and tested compaions.....but put one or Two unknowns in the mix and it could bring all down

Last edited by SkyeDancer; 12/06/19 12:49 AM.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Big George W] #6684735
12/06/19 01:54 AM
12/06/19 01:54 AM
Cleveland IL
muddyriverdogz Offline
trapper
muddyriverdogz  Offline
trapper

Cleveland IL
Originally Posted by Big George W
When I was still an active member of our all volunteer fire dept, one of our members who worked in the control room in the New Haven Power Plant made it sound like all one had to do was arc the feeder lines, which could be done with a crossbow and some heavy gauge copper wire attached to the trailing side of the arrow.
a] I doubt you could successfully fire such a rig without being tangled, and b] I question the validity of that statement because I feel the wire being used to arc the feeders would just burn off.

However, after he made that statement, we were blessed with a massive power failure in the north east, this was I think during the summer of 2003, maybe 2004 ?? which somehow got attributed to the trees of the Mohawk Valley, which is another statement I find hard to believe - but it did make me reconsider the crossbow statement.....

Regarding my previous comment, I did as a tech on the Blackhawk Assembly line, he felt that the aircraft are shielded from an electrical standpoint from EMP radiation, but not the crews.

VH aircraft on the other hand are fully shielded - which one would expect.

I'll poke into that further when I cross paths with some of my old pals in Flt Ops....

Yeah, either way - EMP would be real bad for those who depend on modern technology...........
But for those who modern society views as backwards, my money is on that they would be just fine, since their way of living tends to be more survival based to begin with,

Your life depends on the maintenance of modern technology weather you believe so or not. Running and hiding will not save you.

You only live once, so get over it!

Tactics may change but the goal remains the same.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: upstateNY] #6684819
12/06/19 08:07 AM
12/06/19 08:07 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by Marty
Get far away from any populated area as fast as possible..

smile

I try to do that already,,and theres not even a disaster yet!! laugh

Nice!

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: J.Morse] #6684919
12/06/19 09:55 AM
12/06/19 09:55 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by J.Morse
How are all these hungry hordes going to make it out of the city if their vehicles are zapped by the EMP too?

exactly what I was thinking. Ive talked about something similar to an EMP(hopefully not nuclear though). I think it would be good for us to get back to depending on ourselves and clearing out all of those that have lost some of the most basic human skills. I think the more rural you were the better off youd be, the cities would be a war zone at least for a while

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685063
12/06/19 12:45 PM
12/06/19 12:45 PM
Cleveland IL
muddyriverdogz Offline
trapper
muddyriverdogz  Offline
trapper

Cleveland IL
Without power It will be Chernobyl's and Fukushima's everywhere.

Getting far away better mean a different planet.

Last edited by muddyriverdogz; 12/06/19 12:49 PM.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685074
12/06/19 12:54 PM
12/06/19 12:54 PM
Cleveland IL
muddyriverdogz Offline
trapper
muddyriverdogz  Offline
trapper

Cleveland IL

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685532
12/06/19 11:08 PM
12/06/19 11:08 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
Mike

Your thinking is nieve given the idea of an EMP. You will be dealing with people who are entitled and think they should have what they want when they want it. Your concept might work if initially discovering america. But not in an immediate emergency.... They may get there eventually, but not in the middle of a crisis

I don't think so. In the event of an EMP here is what will happen... Life as we know it will come to a dead stop. Within a week cities will have devolved into complete chaos and people will start leaving the cities in a mass exodus. Some will have the idea that they can go to a family or friends place out in the country... "So and so has cows and stuff..." Most will just be looking for anything they can get their hands on to survive. And there'll be thousands of them. And they'll figure out pretty quick they need to "gang up" to hold on to what they have and protect themselves... From there they'll make the jump from "safety in numbers" to "force in numbers." And a lot of them will be armed in some way.

Meanwhile you and 6 or 7 of your family and friends have forded up in a cabin, shed, farmhouse, whatever... You've got canned food, firewood, a decent source of water, medical supplies, and 18 guns and 10K rounds of various ammo. You thought you were ready for the end of the world.

The first thing that's going to happen is a large group of desperate marauders (we'll say 300 of them) are going to see/smell the smoke from your fire and they're going to surround your cabin. They might even give you the chance to hand all your stuff over... So what do you do? You say "nuts" to that and kill a dozen of them. But one of them gets close enough to chuck a Molotov cocktail at your place. Everything you have is going up in flames and you're getting shot/stabbed/beaten to death once you leave the burning house. They take whatever is left that is salvageable and move on to the next place... Over the course of a few weeks they learn how to get what they want by intimidation and force. Sure, they lose a few dozen through the learning curve. But they learn... You don't get to learn anything because you're already dead and your cache of supplies is divided amongst them. They move like a horde of locusts killing and looting along the way.

Until...

Our band of merry marauders runs across an isolated town that is a farming community... This town has 600 to 700 people who saw what was coming and fortified the town... They've got folks out cutting firewood, tending crops, and purifying water while 200 armed sentries keep watch. They even had guys out at observation points looking for signs of trouble coming... So these folks knew what was coming. Our merry marauders didnt stand a chance and are now in a mass grave. And yes, our isolated farming community had a handful of ne'er-do-wells, dopeheads, etc... Who decided it was easier to steal or let others do the work... But the lazies were given the option of pitching in or hitting the road. And the thieves were hung to save ammo.

The above scenario is a simplified version. You could fill chapters with all of the angles. But historically, thats basically how it plays out. People willing to come together in enough numbers and kill to keep what they have... Because the ones coming to take what you have are for sure going to do the same thing.

If you want more/better insight into how things would play out you might read the Patriots series by James Wesley Rawles... His books are more in-depth and give a better picture of what one could expect.

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685566
12/06/19 11:31 PM
12/06/19 11:31 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Gee, Mike. can I steal all that for a dystopian novel?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685574
12/06/19 11:38 PM
12/06/19 11:38 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Folks we are not dealing with muskets anymore. You can run and hide all you want. One weapon will annihilate your county and the adjoining counties. Our nukes are NOT emp protected. We watch our enemies for days before remotely ending their lives We just had 6 Saudis arrested for NAS Pensacola - and one was a flight student. Folks, our enemy is already in Congress and some of you voted them in........Mark my words again - our country will be invaded again. God has lifted His shield due to the open prideful sin of our country.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: James] #6685580
12/06/19 11:48 PM
12/06/19 11:48 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by James
Gee, Mike. can I steal all that for a dystopian novel?

Jim

I can't take credit for it... I learned it from the Babylonians, Medes, Persians, Romans, Vandals, Goths, Angles, Jutes, Turks, Mongols, Americans, Blackfeet, Sioux, etc...

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685590
12/07/19 12:01 AM
12/07/19 12:01 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I dont know if you ever read the book-The man in the ice,
It was about the discovery of Otzi,a perfectly preserved neolithic man from the alpine area between what is today Northern Italy and South Austria.
One of the theorys about his demise was that his settlement was invaded by a neighboring settlement for their stored winter supplies due to widespread crop failure,and he escaped to the mountains but was hunted down.
These early neolithic villages were well fortified for just such conflict which was common,and eventually evolved,in later times into City States,which were organized like small countries,often warring with each other over resources.
Einstein once said-"I dont know what the 3rd world war will be like,but the 4th world war will be fought with sticks and stones"-basically saying mankind is destined to return to a stone age existence at some point.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread