No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685607
12/07/19 12:14 AM
12/07/19 12:14 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I've read a little about Otzi. But not the book you mentioned.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of hunting down one guy after you've already sacked and pillaged his village... And why not take his copper axe if that were the case?

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685614
12/07/19 12:21 AM
12/07/19 12:21 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
He was wounded and got away to die later,They figured he either had time to gather some meagre supplies or was already set to go into the mountains herding or hunting.
They found an arrowhead embedded in his shoulder,they figured he got hit being pursued by the village invaders and they gave up the chase,like you said his stuff would have been taken if he was killed outright.The scientists could not determine if the arrowhead was the ultimate cause of his death or exposure, due to his weakened condition and no place to return to.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685618
12/07/19 12:26 AM
12/07/19 12:26 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Interesting idea in that book Boco. I watched several tv shows about him.

My opinion on him is, he got caught with the neighbors wife and when the husband didn't believe he was there for another tattoo, he shot him. shocked

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685627
12/07/19 12:35 AM
12/07/19 12:35 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I knew about the arrowhead. I figure that copper axe would've been reason enough to pursue him. That had to have been extremely valuable back then.

I read an article a few years back that stuck with me. The basic premise was that modern science really can't answer why we developed stone arrow points... They had done tests where they whittled the end of a wooden arrow to a sharp point and flame hardened it... Penetration into test animals was only about an inch less than flint arrowheads...

I figured the flint points cut a larger wound channel (faster blood loss) than a sharp wooden point would. But I'm just an average Joe. Lol

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685634
12/07/19 12:44 AM
12/07/19 12:44 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I think a flint arrowhead would provide more weight for better flight,momentum and penetration.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685677
12/07/19 02:17 AM
12/07/19 02:17 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
This is one fascinating discussion here, I'm going to sit back and do some more reading as the comments keep coming in.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685680
12/07/19 02:29 AM
12/07/19 02:29 AM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
Mad Max will rule !!!
Dennis

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Mike in A-town] #6685705
12/07/19 06:31 AM
12/07/19 06:31 AM
Cleveland IL
muddyriverdogz Offline
trapper
muddyriverdogz  Offline
trapper

Cleveland IL
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
Mike

Your thinking is nieve given the idea of an EMP. You will be dealing with people who are entitled and think they should have what they want when they want it. Your concept might work if initially discovering america. But not in an immediate emergency.... They may get there eventually, but not in the middle of a crisis

I don't think so. In the event of an EMP here is what will happen... Life as we know it will come to a dead stop. Within a week cities will have devolved into complete chaos and people will start leaving the cities in a mass exodus. Some will have the idea that they can go to a family or friends place out in the country... "So and so has cows and stuff..." Most will just be looking for anything they can get their hands on to survive. And there'll be thousands of them. And they'll figure out pretty quick they need to "gang up" to hold on to what they have and protect themselves... From there they'll make the jump from "safety in numbers" to "force in numbers." And a lot of them will be armed in some way.

Meanwhile you and 6 or 7 of your family and friends have forded up in a cabin, shed, farmhouse, whatever... You've got canned food, firewood, a decent source of water, medical supplies, and 18 guns and 10K rounds of various ammo. You thought you were ready for the end of the world.

The first thing that's going to happen is a large group of desperate marauders (we'll say 300 of them) are going to see/smell the smoke from your fire and they're going to surround your cabin. They might even give you the chance to hand all your stuff over... So what do you do? You say "nuts" to that and kill a dozen of them. But one of them gets close enough to chuck a Molotov cocktail at your place. Everything you have is going up in flames and you're getting shot/stabbed/beaten to death once you leave the burning house. They take whatever is left that is salvageable and move on to the next place... Over the course of a few weeks they learn how to get what they want by intimidation and force. Sure, they lose a few dozen through the learning curve. But they learn... You don't get to learn anything because you're already dead and your cache of supplies is divided amongst them. They move like a horde of locusts killing and looting along the way.

Until...

Our band of merry marauders runs across an isolated town that is a farming community... This town has 600 to 700 people who saw what was coming and fortified the town... They've got folks out cutting firewood, tending crops, and purifying water while 200 armed sentries keep watch. They even had guys out at observation points looking for signs of trouble coming... So these folks knew what was coming. Our merry marauders didnt stand a chance and are now in a mass grave. And yes, our isolated farming community had a handful of ne'er-do-wells, dopeheads, etc... Who decided it was easier to steal or let others do the work... But the lazies were given the option of pitching in or hitting the road. And the thieves were hung to save ammo.

The above scenario is a simplified version. You could fill chapters with all of the angles. But historically, thats basically how it plays out. People willing to come together in enough numbers and kill to keep what they have... Because the ones coming to take what you have are for sure going to do the same thing.

If you want more/better insight into how things would play out you might read the Patriots series by James Wesley Rawles... His books are more in-depth and give a better picture of what one could expect.

Mike

And all of that would be in vein as the radioactive waste invisibly rained down.

You only live once, so get over it!

Tactics may change but the goal remains the same.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6685753
12/07/19 08:03 AM
12/07/19 08:03 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
roving bands of marauders and cannibals, nuclear fallout, disease like cholera, typhoid, tuberculosis, coming back with a vengeance, any break in your skin posing a danger of life threatening infection, round worm, tape worm and giardia making a big comeback, ricketts and scurvy are likely.

very few 60 or older or 12 and younger lives very long. Anybody dependent on insulin or blood pressure meds wont last. There wont be any coming back from a heart attack or stoke.

people from countries like mexico will have a good chance. their babies die if there are any medical problems rather than grow up to reproduce. they know how to live with very little other than hard work.

indians in the amazon, farmers in the philippines, hmong still living in the mountains of vietnam, san people in the khalahari desert, thats who will repopulate the world with humans, assuming the disaster is world wide.

3-4% might live long enough to recreate a society in N.America and Europe.

Nope. dont think i will run off to live under a poncho, hiding and eating mice , bugs dandelions and cat tails, while waiting on everyone else to die. It is not something i want to do.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread