No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Possibles bag [Re: EdP] #6687099
12/08/19 04:17 PM
12/08/19 04:17 PM
NW Colorado
C
COMuleman Offline
trapper
COMuleman  Offline
trapper
C

NW Colorado
Originally Posted by EdP
A woodsman (or mtn man for that matter) doesn't carry his gun stuff in his equivalent of a day pack any more than you would put one round in your gun and ammo for follow-up shots in your day pack today. It has to be more handy than that or you won't keep your scalp very long. The shooting pouch is the first thing to go on and the last to be thrown off because the only gear more valuable to life is your gun.

In most cases they only wore the possible bag and it doubled as a shooting bag. What I meant by the day pack equivalent is that it’s not just for shooting gear. A lot of times it was the shooting gear plus a few other odds and ends like fire kit and stuff they might need during a day of hunting.

When the time comes for a man to look his maker in the eye, where a better place for a meeting to be held than in the wilderness?
- Dick Proenneke
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687108
12/08/19 04:29 PM
12/08/19 04:29 PM
Suffolk new york
M
Miley Offline
trapper
Miley  Offline
trapper
M

Suffolk new york
[Linked Image]

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687111
12/08/19 04:31 PM
12/08/19 04:31 PM
Suffolk new york
M
Miley Offline
trapper
Miley  Offline
trapper
M

Suffolk new york
Bro did the the tanning and beadwork!

Re: Possibles bag [Re: Miley] #6687114
12/08/19 04:37 PM
12/08/19 04:37 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Miley
Bro did the the tanning and beadwork!

Sexy man, I like it!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687149
12/08/19 05:21 PM
12/08/19 05:21 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
COMuleman, I know exactly what you meant and I don't agree, but I am certainly willing to be shown to be wrong. What references can you share. I have read several books on the mtn men and on the eastern woodsmen such as Boone and Kenton and what you describe is not the accepted consensus in the circles I run.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687165
12/08/19 05:43 PM
12/08/19 05:43 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
[Linked Image]

Made by Scott Sibley

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687204
12/08/19 06:16 PM
12/08/19 06:16 PM
NW Colorado
C
COMuleman Offline
trapper
COMuleman  Offline
trapper
C

NW Colorado
http://wyomuseum.state.wy.us/pdf/dtmountainman.pdf

https://www.historycolorado.org/mountain-man-artifacts

https://centerofthewest.org/wp-cont...ailblazers-Skype-Lesson-Presentation.pdf

EdP, here’s just a few links I found online. I have read quite a few books about the Mtn men and would have to go through them to find references in the books. As for the Longhunters of the east, I haven’t looked into as much and don’t know if they differed from the western explorers. I’m not saying that everyone was the same either. I’m sure they carried both ways as well. I just think the term possibles bag covers everything you want to put in it including shooting gear.

Last edited by COMuleman; 12/08/19 06:24 PM.

When the time comes for a man to look his maker in the eye, where a better place for a meeting to be held than in the wilderness?
- Dick Proenneke
Re: Possibles bag [Re: Miley] #6687216
12/08/19 06:37 PM
12/08/19 06:37 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Miley
[Linked Image]

I like that headed strap!

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687320
12/08/19 07:48 PM
12/08/19 07:48 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline
trapper
uplandpointer  Offline
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
I carry one with my snares and a few other things in it . It is canvas though. I bought it at a army surplus store and I think it was called a Swiss army map bag. Not as nice as the one you guys are posting but it get the job done.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687345
12/08/19 08:09 PM
12/08/19 08:09 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I used to make them in my Rendezvous days. But its been years...now I just make Small Medicine pouche's [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687356
12/08/19 08:18 PM
12/08/19 08:18 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline OP
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline OP
trapper
W

North Dakota
Well, I bought back the bag. It turned out nice enough that I didn't want it to go too cheap, so I made a donation to get it back. It is a bit small to be a true possibles bag, and too big to be a medicine bag or neck bag. It wouldn't be big enough for a shooting bag, but about the right size for a fire kit, a first aid kit and a snare or two.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: 330-Trapper] #6687383
12/08/19 08:36 PM
12/08/19 08:36 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I used to make them in my Rendezvous days. But its been years...now I just make Small Medicine pouche's [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey Scott, do you sell ones like the one in the first pic? PM me if ya do.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687395
12/08/19 08:43 PM
12/08/19 08:43 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I made Some like that over the years for the Tman Auctions...PM sent

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687555
12/08/19 10:31 PM
12/08/19 10:31 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
CoMuleman, I will note first off that none of your sources are primary source documents so cannot be counted on to be accurate. They MAY be accurate or may not. No telling if they are not primary source documents, but lets look at what they say.

From your first reference: POSSIBLES BAG: This bag served as the carrying pouch for items the mountain man might “possibly” have needed, such as tools for the firearms, tinder to start fires, bullets and personal gear. Here you have some support for your position, but mixing tinder to start fires and personal gear with bullets and firearm tools is not what I or anyone else I know does except for those items not likely to be needed close at hand.

From your second reference: Possibles Bag - A very important piece of the trapper’s gear, the possibles bag was used for the storage of any number of items, from flints and steels, to the castoreum box, awls, and other tools used in daily trapping life. There is no mention of anything that would be needed to keep a gun working.

From your 3rd reference: A possibles bag carried the mountain man’s necessities, such as knife and flint. Again nothing there about items to keep a gun working.

Another item from your 3rd reference: The mountain man carried a leather pouch called a possible bag. A possible bag contained everything a mountain man needed to survive in the wilderness. The mountain man carried the supplies he needed in the bag. He carried: • a metal tobacco tin with a glass disk to hold tobacco or flint and steel strikers to start fires • a spoon made from cow or buffalo horn and a crude fork • Beads and trinkets for trade with the American Indians Once again, nothing there about items to keep a gun working.

I do not believe your references help you make your case. I agree that a possibles bag was used like we would now use a day pack, and I use a haversack in exactly the same way when hunting in 18th century gear, but I carry a separate shooting pouch with the items needed to run my flintlock. The shooting pouch items include tools to pull a ball and clean the bore, spare flints, compass, patching, balls, turn screw, patch knife, vent pick, and a cows knee. There is no room for "personal items" or tinder or flint and steel and char cloth, or even a ball mold. Those items go in my haversack (possibles bag). If you look at the size of the bag pictured I think you will find it of a size more appropriate for those items that are needed and will fit in a shooting pouch.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687566
12/08/19 10:47 PM
12/08/19 10:47 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Wow...someone believes their right

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Possibles bag [Re: EdP] #6687572
12/08/19 10:53 PM
12/08/19 10:53 PM
NW Colorado
C
COMuleman Offline
trapper
COMuleman  Offline
trapper
C

NW Colorado
Originally Posted by EdP
CoMuleman, I will note first off that none of your sources are primary source documents so cannot be counted on to be accurate. They MAY be accurate or may not. No telling if they are not primary source documents, but lets look at what they say.

From your first reference: POSSIBLES BAG: This bag served as the carrying pouch for items the mountain man might “possibly” have needed, such as tools for the firearms, tinder to start fires, bullets and personal gear. Here you have some support for your position, but mixing tinder to start fires and personal gear with bullets and firearm tools is not what I or anyone else I know does except for those items not likely to be needed close at hand.

From your second reference: Possibles Bag - A very important piece of the trapper’s gear, the possibles bag was used for the storage of any number of items, from flints and steels, to the castoreum box, awls, and other tools used in daily trapping life. There is no mention of anything that would be needed to keep a gun working.

From your 3rd reference: A possibles bag carried the mountain man’s necessities, such as knife and flint. Again nothing there about items to keep a gun working.

Another item from your 3rd reference: The mountain man carried a leather pouch called a possible bag. A possible bag contained everything a mountain man needed to survive in the wilderness. The mountain man carried the supplies he needed in the bag. He carried: • a metal tobacco tin with a glass disk to hold tobacco or flint and steel strikers to start fires • a spoon made from cow or buffalo horn and a crude fork • Beads and trinkets for trade with the American Indians Once again, nothing there about items to keep a gun working.

I do not believe your references help you make your case. I agree that a possibles bag was used like we would now use a day pack, and I use a haversack in exactly the same way when hunting in 18th century gear, but I carry a separate shooting pouch with the items needed to run my flintlock. The shooting pouch items include tools to pull a ball and clean the bore, spare flints, compass, patching, balls, turn screw, patch knife, vent pick, and a cows knee. There is no room for "personal items" or tinder or flint and steel and char cloth, or even a ball mold. Those items go in my haversack (possibles bag). If you look at the size of the bag pictured I think you will find it of a size more appropriate for those items that are needed and will fit in a shooting pouch.

Fair enough, just a friendly debate. I could be completely wrong, that’s just the way I’ve taken it. I’m definitely going to look around and see what good references I can find. Do you happen to have any documents that you could show? I would love to see them. I’m always for learning and not afraid to admit if I’m wrong.

- Dick Proenneke
Re: Possibles bag [Re: 330-Trapper] #6687763
12/09/19 07:56 AM
12/09/19 07:56 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI

Its a common theme among the living history/reenacting vs rendezvous crowd. I have been accused of being a stitch counter, oh well.

There never was an item called a possibles bag pre-1850. That term was never used in any of the old journals, that I am aware of. Did trappers, etc carry knapsacks? All the time. Haversacks were a military item and there is VERY little evidence of them being used by civilians. We also have to keep in mind that western trappers and many of the eastern frontiersmen, were mounted 99% of the time. All of their gear was carried on their horses and mules.

Not all trappers were the best prepared, like we want to believe they were. The old journals are full of people getting lost, cold, starving, running out of ammo, and all sorts of other problems.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6687771
12/09/19 08:05 AM
12/09/19 08:05 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
[Linked Image]

Buck skin pouch with muskrat flap. Although not nearly as fancy, I feel it’s much closer to what you would find 200 years ago in the back of beyond. No thread, no metal, no beads. Simply 1 muskrat, wang and pouch out of 1 deer hide.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: k snow] #6687820
12/09/19 09:25 AM
12/09/19 09:25 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by k snow

Its a common theme among the living history/reenacting vs rendezvous crowd. I have been accused of being a stitch counter, oh well.

There never was an item called a possibles bag pre-1850. That term was never used in any of the old journals, that I am aware of. Did trappers, etc carry knapsacks? All the time. Haversacks were a military item and there is VERY little evidence of them being used by civilians. We also have to keep in mind that western trappers and many of the eastern frontiersmen, were mounted 99% of the time. All of their gear was carried on their horses and mules.

Not all trappers were the best prepared, like we want to believe they were. The old journals are full of people getting lost, cold, starving, running out of ammo, and all sorts of other problems.

True stuff.

And when reading writings of "old times" you have to know the author and time of writings. Just like they say about the internet....just because its there/ written dosen't make it fact.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Possibles bag [Re: tomahawker] #6687908
12/09/19 12:13 PM
12/09/19 12:13 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
[quote=tomahawker][Linked Image]

Buck skin pouch with muskrat flap. Although not nearly as fancy, I feel it’s much closer to what you would find 200 years ago in the back of beyond. No thread, no metal, no beads. Simply 1 muskrat, wang and pouch out of 1 deer hide.
[/q

Very true. Most anything made on the frontier was fashioned with what was on hand. I have a book somewhere that showed some of the items carried in a [ insert preferred technical term here ] pouch... The one item that stuck out was an awl for leather work. And a lot of early trade knives had a "Spanish Notch" for stripping sinew... So with some tawed/tanned leather, an awl, and trade knife you could fashion most anything you needed... Clothing, shelter, pouches, mocassins, etc...

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread