No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6688054
12/09/19 03:20 PM
12/09/19 03:20 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
COMuleman, here is a resource that I believe supports my case. Shooting pouch link Once you open the link page down to the heading "Pouches, Bags and Accoutrements." There you will find numerous period paintings depicting shooting pouches (or shot bags/hunting bag/shot pouch) plus photos of surviving bags both from England and various American colonies. From their relative size I believe it is clear that only a small amount of gear can be carried in them. That, to me, would exclude a fire start kit, tinder, personal items, ect, that would have to be carried in a larger bag or in some other manner. In other words, the bags depicted were for what was needed to support shooting and little if anything else.

That argument made, I will admit that it doesn't exclude a person from carrying a larger bag with all the items from the shooting pouch dumped in with whatever else was being carried. To make a more convincing argument based on historical documentation I would have to find evidence of both being carried and I haven't done that. However, it seems terribly inefficient to put all those small items in a larger bag with a bunch of other stuff when a person would want it handy.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: Mike in A-town] #6688187
12/09/19 06:30 PM
12/09/19 06:30 PM
Buffalo, SD
Wanbli Offline
trapper
Wanbli  Offline
trapper

Buffalo, SD
Beadwork available from Crazy Crow Trading Post

Beaded Strip

"There is value in any experience that reminds us of our dependency on the soil-plant-animal-man food chain" Aldo Leopold
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6688218
12/09/19 06:52 PM
12/09/19 06:52 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
My pouch was originally a pillow for my pistol, hence the photo. Works good to carry stuff too.

Re: Possibles bag [Re: EdP] #6688304
12/09/19 08:08 PM
12/09/19 08:08 PM
NW Colorado
C
COMuleman Offline
trapper
COMuleman  Offline
trapper
C

NW Colorado
Originally Posted by EdP
COMuleman, here is a resource that I believe supports my case. Shooting pouch link Once you open the link page down to the heading "Pouches, Bags and Accoutrements." There you will find numerous period paintings depicting shooting pouches (or shot bags/hunting bag/shot pouch) plus photos of surviving bags both from England and various American colonies. From their relative size I believe it is clear that only a small amount of gear can be carried in them. That, to me, would exclude a fire start kit, tinder, personal items, ect, that would have to be carried in a larger bag or in some other manner. In other words, the bags depicted were for what was needed to support shooting and little if anything else.

That argument made, I will admit that it doesn't exclude a person from carrying a larger bag with all the items from the shooting pouch dumped in with whatever else was being carried. To make a more convincing argument based on historical documentation I would have to find evidence of both being carried and I haven't done that. However, it seems terribly inefficient to put all those small items in a larger bag with a bunch of other stuff when a person would want it handy.

Like I said earlier, I’m sure it was done both ways. I’ve seen estimates that say roughly 3000 men came west during the early 19th century for the fur trade era. (Again I don’t have the info of the longhunters in the eastern frontier). These were a mix match of different types of people and different backgrounds and ethnicity. Most of these are so undocumented that we don’t have a clue about, we only have the bits and pieces of those that did happen to document. Even some of the well known Mtn men, we only have the histories that have been passed on by people who heard or witnessed it. That’s why the few documents and journals we have are so valuable for the info. I’ve looked at the Alfred Jacob Miller paintings and the bags he shows from that period were a little larger than the ones in the link you showed it appears but like I said,there was hundreds of men and I’m sure they all had there own way of doing it and I don’t think one way or the other is wrong as long as it works for the person using it.

When the time comes for a man to look his maker in the eye, where a better place for a meeting to be held than in the wilderness?
- Dick Proenneke
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6688364
12/09/19 08:52 PM
12/09/19 08:52 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
[Linked Image]

Saw this on another site....

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6688378
12/09/19 09:04 PM
12/09/19 09:04 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline
trapper

western alaska
Possibly known as a Purse also.

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: Possibles bag [Re: Malukchuk] #6688383
12/09/19 09:06 PM
12/09/19 09:06 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Malukchuk
Possibly known as a Purse also.

Murse.........man purse

Last edited by Nessmuck; 12/09/19 09:06 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6688430
12/09/19 09:44 PM
12/09/19 09:44 PM
NW Colorado
C
COMuleman Offline
trapper
COMuleman  Offline
trapper
C

NW Colorado
[Linked Image]

I have made others but this one I traded for.

When the time comes for a man to look his maker in the eye, where a better place for a meeting to be held than in the wilderness?
- Dick Proenneke
Re: Possibles bag [Re: WakopaWalker] #6688828
12/10/19 09:53 AM
12/10/19 09:53 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Alfred Jacob Miller's painting "The Trapper's Bride" shows the trapper wearing a bag of size consistent with the period bags shown in my previous post. The Trappers Bride."[/url] Same for "Louis, Rocky Mountain Trapper." Louis, Rocky Mountain Trapper. Same for "Taking the Hump Rib."Taking the Hump Rib

Interesting exercise this research is. I knew Miller had done sketches and paintings of the era but did not recognize the quantity of the work he did.

Last edited by EdP; 12/10/19 10:01 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread