Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Double door cage trap usage #6682660
12/04/19 12:10 AM
12/04/19 12:10 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
[Linked Image]

For you guys running double door cages,how do y'all go about it and what are y'all trapping ?

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6683902
12/05/19 10:29 AM
12/05/19 10:29 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
They are excellent for cat trapping bc it presents a walk thru situation which I believe in. I brush in the sides if for no other reason it makes a caged animal feel a little bit more hidden after they are caught. Trust me the less they are bouncing around the fewer the bird hunters that will notice them and "do you a favor" with there dam 12 ga

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6685937
12/07/19 12:00 PM
12/07/19 12:00 PM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
Cage trapping in the west of course is a result of the loss/restrictions of foot holds. AZ was first in '94 followed by Colorado in '96 CA '98 and WA state in 2000. Of the four CO is where I have seen the greatest use of double doors likely because those mountain cats can be so hard to get into a cage. I have never had much problems getting cats to enter cages in the deserts of AZ and CA. I figure around 70 percent captures/visits. In Colorado the same techniques can sometimes cause you to pull your hair out.

Colorado was the first place I ever heard of double door cages and multiple guys building them and offering for sale. Never have run across anybody in CA or AZ and only a couple of guys in WA. I'm fairly ignorant as to Washington. Might be more prevelant.

It was about six years ago when I got to see double doors in action for the first time in North West Colorado with a guy named George Bosik. He has a few You Tubes if your interested. Search "thinkinthebox". I believe he used to post on here. We caught two the day I checked with him. His system was to set under the ledges on S facing ridges to avoid the heavy snow in that part of the state. He uses large amounts of lure. He didn't mess around with four ounce jars - those would only last half a dozen sets. He would put a big glob under the pan then set the trap over it and brush it in to the point the cat could only go way around, leave or go thru. He also believed in call lure above the set and had some long range call techniques. The cage traps he had engineered, built and sold were truly unique and impressive given his limited fab facilities. I quickly got him hooked on my Lead In scent and he started using it in all his sets. As I recall he told me he had only ever tried to catch cats in single doors his first season with little luck. He has caught quite a few in DDs.

Other DD guys I have talked to prefer to set them in a tight trail and either do nothing or just dowse them inside with bobcat urine.

I myself have caught a dozen or so so far in my experimenting and I always have used lure, urine and hanging bait. I throw the sink at them.

I published a DD bobcat catch on trail cam 6-7 years ago. cagingbobcats@l.com on You Tube.

So far my trail cam work and testimonials from friends indicates that bobcats react to them just like any other cage. They first smell it and investigate real good. The thought that they encounter it and just walk through just because does not add up in my head.

Being able to see through should add up to being more likely to enter. Jury is still out IMO.

ML
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6687428
12/08/19 09:05 PM
12/08/19 09:05 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Mercer that last picture looks like money . But being a coyote trapper I have to ask , wouldn’t a second cage on the other side be appropriate?
I know nothing of cats, just seems like a good spot for two traps .

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6688667
12/10/19 05:18 AM
12/10/19 05:18 AM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
In that particular culvert the other end was round but even if it was square I would rather get just one two hundred dollar cage stolen!

Big difference between foot hold trapping and cages is how many cages a guy can run. Would rather have a second culvert covered than two in one.

I suppose if I could snap my fingers and make a cage appear it would be nice to have one in both ends.

I might not know anything though as there were cat tracks but in the two weeks that cage sat there it didn't catch anything...

ML

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6688975
12/10/19 12:51 PM
12/10/19 12:51 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Well that’s just trapping I think , lol ! I didn’t want to imply that I know anything about cat trapping . It just looked like the one side was in the sun and the road looked like an easy place for two without a lot of work . We can’t trap under a public road way or bridge , but a farm road or bridge that would be a good place to load up on .

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6689586
12/10/19 10:40 PM
12/10/19 10:40 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Mercer Lawing
Cage trapping in the west of course is a result of the loss/restrictions of foot holds. AZ was first in '94 followed by Colorado in '96 CA '98 and WA state in 2000. Of the four CO is where I have seen the greatest use of double doors likely because those mountain cats can be so hard to get into a cage. I have never had much problems getting cats to enter cages in the deserts of AZ and CA. I figure around 70 percent captures/visits. In Colorado the same techniques can sometimes cause you to pull your hair out.

Colorado was the first place I ever heard of double door cages and multiple guys building them and offering for sale. Never have run across anybody in CA or AZ and only a couple of guys in WA. I'm fairly ignorant as to Washington. Might be more prevelant.

It was about six years ago when I got to see double doors in action for the first time in North West Colorado with a guy named George Bosik. He has a few You Tubes if your interested. Search "thinkinthebox". I believe he used to post on here. We caught two the day I checked with him. His system was to set under the ledges on S facing ridges to avoid the heavy snow in that part of the state. He uses large amounts of lure. He didn't mess around with four ounce jars - those would only last half a dozen sets. He would put a big glob under the pan then set the trap over it and brush it in to the point the cat could only go way around, leave or go thru. He also believed in call lure above the set and had some long range call techniques. The cage traps he had engineered, built and sold were truly unique and impressive given his limited fab facilities. I quickly got him hooked on my Lead In scent and he started using it in all his sets. As I recall he told me he had only ever tried to catch cats in single doors his first season with little luck. He has caught quite a few in DDs.

Other DD guys I have talked to prefer to set them in a tight trail and either do nothing or just dowse them inside with bobcat urine.

I myself have caught a dozen or so so far in my experimenting and I always have used lure, urine and hanging bait. I throw the sink at them.

I published a DD bobcat catch on trail cam 6-7 years ago. cagingbobcats@l.com on You Tube.

So far my trail cam work and testimonials from friends indicates that bobcats react to them just like any other cage. They first smell it and investigate real good. The thought that they encounter it and just walk through just because does not add up in my head.

Being able to see through should add up to being more likely to enter. Jury is still out IMO.

ML
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First of thanks for info ! Found that guys traps very interesting! Are his the same style of trap door as in yours in the second picture ? Don't think I've ever seen a door that folds in on its self like that. Are there any benefits to one like that ?
Now in your video something I saw was that the cat would come in pretty hard until he could touch the flag then he'd kinda stall out. Is that common ?
Also have you messed with any of the wire triggered traps ?

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6692272
12/13/19 05:28 PM
12/13/19 05:28 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Wolfdog,

What have you caught with your trap pictured? Have you got any video showing how the animals work the trap? If you do would you post if you can.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Kirk De] #6692788
12/13/19 11:29 PM
12/13/19 11:29 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Kirk De
Wolfdog,

What have you caught with your trap pictured? Have you got any video showing how the animals work the trap? If you do would you post if you can.

Haven't been able to get anything seems I cleaned out all the possums and skunks. Been running a camera on this one to see how it works but so far the only thing I got working it is squirrels and the neighbors dog.

Here's another pic if your intrested.
[Linked Image]

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #6968843
08/19/20 09:45 PM
08/19/20 09:45 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #7424942
12/07/21 09:05 PM
12/07/21 09:05 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Trying double doors in trails and so far....
[Linked Image]

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #7425005
12/07/21 09:51 PM
12/07/21 09:51 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Have you tried brushing in the sides more?

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Wolfdog91] #7425191
12/08/21 02:12 AM
12/08/21 02:12 AM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
What are you trapping for?

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: Dragger] #7425205
12/08/21 03:31 AM
12/08/21 03:31 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Dragger
What are you trapping for?

Honestly just seeing what I'll catch. I had a camera on this two track for a week and saw coon possum armadillo and grey fox. I know there's cats around too but honestly I have no real interest in them. I seen others use the Comstock,camtrip and various other double doors have such a by just plopping them down in a trail that's kind brushed I like this so wanted to see if I could do the same. I have two cameras running on the cage ( one read and one from across the other side of the two track ). Personally I just kinda see what happens. I did add some lure in the cage today though

Re: Double door cage trap usage [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7425206
12/08/21 03:34 AM
12/08/21 03:34 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Have you tried brushing in the sides more?

There where a little more before I got this possum I'm trying to disturb the the are as least as possible. Gotta feeling if I brush it in like a tunnel cubby and have a trailing scent running though it it might be a better deal though

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91