No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6689721
12/11/19 02:25 AM
12/11/19 02:25 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
t shirt gun from the suburbs

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Jurassic Park] #6689722
12/11/19 02:26 AM
12/11/19 02:26 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Hey guys I was just thinking, do you think Santa Claus drops presents off at the Res or just flies over?

Santa steers clear ever since the Indians jacklighted and shot his reindeer. They even took his boots and made him walk the gravel roads, barefoot, in the snow, until he was off Res. shocked

Keith

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6689773
12/11/19 07:39 AM
12/11/19 07:39 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
So Santa just keeps flying over your house as well as the Res then Jurrasic with that may kids in the household must be a sorry Xmas around there
Keith they were too drunk when they were shooting at Santa's reindeer so no major damage occurred.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6689825
12/11/19 08:49 AM
12/11/19 08:49 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
They would probably do to santa what they did to that guy who was ice fishing and landed his plane across the line into the res on upper red a few years ago.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6689831
12/11/19 08:55 AM
12/11/19 08:55 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
no one messes around Seneca ground here.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: BernieB.] #6689886
12/11/19 10:05 AM
12/11/19 10:05 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by BernieB.
They would probably do to santa what they did to that guy who was ice fishing and landed his plane across the line into the res on upper red a few years ago.

Oh yes that little incident. I'd forgotten.
As for the alleged perpetrator in this progressing saga, will there be much of a penalty from state or fed if found guilty. A nephew of mine worked with the fellow from the Zimmerman area who just a few years ago was found guilty of poaching quite a number of trophy whitetail in that area. Nephew said the fellow was on Facebook this fall posting hunting pictures again. Hear that type of thing often enough from people a long ways over the limit on fish as well. Back on the water in no time it seems.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6689920
12/11/19 10:52 AM
12/11/19 10:52 AM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
I was glad to see that the MN guys were all pretty respectful. Honest and blunt, but still respectful. Sadly, the same cannot be said for others.

At a previous job, I had the opportunity to work with countless reservation youth in a treatment setting. The conditions in which these kids grow up is nothing short of one big, non-stop, traumatic event. Often times nothing, no one, and no place is safe for them every single day they are on earth. This leads to a form of generational trauma in which it is nearly impossible to break cycles. The conditions on Indian reservations in this country are undeniable proof that these human beings endured one of history's most overlooked genocides. This is a compound issue with no easy solution, assuming any could ever be found to counteract hundreds of years of murder and broken promises.

Jurassic, based on your comments I am going to assume that you don't read many books that are not primarily composed of pictures. Should this ever change, I could recommend a few that give some incredible insight on colonization from an Indian perspective.

I agree that there must be a lot more to the bear story.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6689929
12/11/19 11:03 AM
12/11/19 11:03 AM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
Hey guys I was just thinking, do you think Santa Claus drops presents off at the Res or just flies over?

Santa stopped briefly in '09 :
Minnesota's Indian tribes expect huge benefits from economic stimulus
Tom RobertsonBemidji, Minn.May 7, 2009 1:00 p.m.
Share story

Listen
Red Lake Reservation border
The Red Lake Band of Ojibwe in northern Minnesota expect to see millions of dollars flowing to their reservation through the federal economic stimulus package. Leaders at Red Lake and other Minnesota reservations say the stimulus will create much needed jobs and help fix crumbling infrastructure.MPR Photo/Tom Robertson
It's been years since the Red Lake Indian Reservation in northern Minnesota has seen such a flurry of economic activity.

The tribe sometimes waits years to get federal funding for things like housing or road repairs. But in just the past few months, Red Lake learned it will receive well over $5 million, and there's probably much more to come.

"It's just been such a breakneck pace," Tribal Chairman Floyd "Buck" Jourdain said. "This is going to happen very, very quickly, and so it's been really fascinating to watch it unfold."

Jourdain says he's amazed at how quickly the stimulus money is flowing.

Chairman Buck Jourdain
Red Lake Tribal Chairman Floyd "Buck" Jourdain says stimulus money will fund construction of more than a dozen homes on the reservation. The tribe has been awarded more than $5 million so far. Jourdain says he's amazed at how quickly the stimulus money is flowing.MPR Photo/Tom Robertson
Red Lake has been aggressive at going after stimulus money.

The tribe hired additional grant writers and planners to prepare. They dusted off plans that have been sitting on the shelf. They're gearing up for lots of new construction activity beginning this spring.

Roads, water, sewer and housing needs are the tribe's top priorities. But there may also be grants, loans or bonding dollars available for other things on the tribe's wish list -- a kidney dialysis center, a new tribal government center, hospital expansion and maybe a convenience store.

""One of the things with Red Lake is that we had shovel ready projects that... we had planned for, but we just never had the resources to be able to do," said Jourdain. "With the stimulus money, we should be able to get some of those done. That money is going to flow into the economy, and I think that's going to be a good shot in the arm, not only for our community, but for the area and the country."

Jourdain says the projects will create much needed jobs.

The stimulus money is coming from a hodgepodge of federal sources. In addition to the $2.5 billion set aside specifically for tribes, there's an additional $2.5 billion that tribes can access through competitive grants.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is dispensing $500 million in stimulus money by boosting its annual appropriation to existing tribal programs.

Red Lake reservation road construction
Annual funding for Red Lake's roads department doubled this year because of the federal stimulus package. The stimulus includes more than $2.5 billion for tribes across the country.Courtesy Red Lake Band of Ojibwe
Ultimately the Red Lake band could get well over $15 million in stimulus over the next couple of years according to Sam Strong, director of economic development and planning at Red Lake.

"We almost doubled our annual funding through our roads department," Strong said. "We're going to be building 15 more homes through the increase in funding through the stimulus. We're going to be receiving five times our annual appropriation for weatherization. Across the board, we're going to see projects that would have taken years to complete, completed within the next two years."

The stimulus money available to tribes across the country targets a broad range of priorities.

There's money to expand broadband, telemedicine and distance learning. There are funds to modernize medical records. There's money available for small business loans, and there are bonding dollars for renewable energy projects.

On the nearby White Earth Reservation, tribal leaders say they expect the stimulus will bring more federal dollars to the reservation than they've seen in years.

The tribe will build 30 new homes with the extra funds. They've applied for other grants, too, including money for more police officers, technology upgrades for their court system and a youth mentoring initiative.

Sam Strong
Sam Strong, Red Lake's director of economic development and planning, says the stimulus will allow the tribe to complete shovel-ready projects that have been unfunded for years.MPR Photo/Tom Robertson
Economic planners at White Earth say parts of the stimulus process have been frustrating.

They point out that White Earth and other less wealthy tribes won't be able to access some of the stimulus money because it requires matching grants, which they can't afford.

On the Leech Lake Reservation, Tribal Executive Director Rob Aitken says leaders there have identified 40 roads that need repair. Stimulus money will allow some of that work to begin this spring.

Leech Lake is also applying for stimulus grants that could help pay for a correctional facility, a new high school, a government center or possibly construction of a hotel.

"We have people working full time on the stimulus package," Aitken said. "We're looking at areas in the stimulus that can help Leech Lake, but we don't want to go after and accept money just for the sake of going after and accepting it and running a program that doesn't fit our needs. But there have been grants that we've been applying for, so we'll start seeing whether we're going to be successful or not in the next month or so."

Indian tribes in northern Minnesota have some of the highest unemployment and poverty rates in the country. So far it's unclear how many new jobs the federal economic stimulus plan will create on reservations.

The stimulus package for tribes includes millions of dollars for workforce development and on-the-job training programs.

Gallery

1 of 1
Red Lake Reservation border
MPR Photo/Tom RobertsonThe Red Lake Band of Ojibwe in northern Minnesota expect to see millions of dollars flowing to their reservation through the federal economic stimulus package. Leaders at Red Lake and other Minnesota reservations say the stimulus will create much needed jobs and help fix crumbling infrastructure.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690034
12/11/19 01:16 PM
12/11/19 01:16 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Interesting. I’m just a guy who goes thru there and I generally stop for gas or whatnot. Always children hanging around to buy candy for.
I do not mean to be negative but what native jobs? I saw roadwork being done by outside contractors with natives doing the flagging. No new businesses in town, nothing I’ve seen for housing const. I’m not sure any natives are set up to do their own construction.
Sad

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Jurassic Park] #6690081
12/11/19 02:46 PM
12/11/19 02:46 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old

But if I was minding my own business driving down some roads for a couple hours and ended up on their Main Street without any warning of not being allowed and 3 Indians came up in my face, I’d be throwing straight rights and left hooks till they all dropped.

This brings to mind a story I have often heard about a game warden with the initials of D.F. (who I had the displeasure of meeting once) from Thief River Falls a long time ago. It seems he managed to annoy some of the natives in some manner over a fishing issue where he probably had no jurisdiction anyway. They took it upon themselves to hold him down and insert a small walleye deeply into his butt. I understand he had to have surgery to have it removed. I'm not 100% sure this is a true story but it has been around a long time and if I were you I would be hesitant about throwing straight rights and left hooks since there's no telling how they might retaliate.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690100
12/11/19 03:03 PM
12/11/19 03:03 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Aw don’t worry JP and don’t get wound. Ive got a few feathers i can let you have, blend right in.
Get to be my age and you don’t use em much anyway, they get a bit floppy.

Floppy Feather er I mean

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690104
12/11/19 03:07 PM
12/11/19 03:07 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
they'd "pike him" grin

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: MNCedar] #6690106
12/11/19 03:08 PM
12/11/19 03:08 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by MNCedar
I was glad to see that the MN guys were all pretty respectful. Honest and blunt, but still respectful. Sadly, the same cannot be said for others.

At a previous job, I had the opportunity to work with countless reservation youth in a treatment setting. The conditions in which these kids grow up is nothing short of one big, non-stop, traumatic event. Often times nothing, no one, and no place is safe for them every single day they are on earth. This leads to a form of generational trauma in which it is nearly impossible to break cycles. The conditions on Indian reservations in this country are undeniable proof that these human beings endured one of history's most overlooked genocides. This is a compound issue with no easy solution, assuming any could ever be found to counteract hundreds of years of murder and broken promises.

Jurassic, based on your comments I am going to assume that you don't read many books that are not primarily composed of pictures. Should this ever change, I could recommend a few that give some incredible insight on colonization from an Indian perspective.

I agree that there must be a lot more to the bear story.

I have also worked with some of these people in a treatment situation and agree it's hard to combat the generational trauma. I know of several people who have dedicated their lives to trying to help change the course. Life for people on the res so often is going from one crisis to the next. Alcohol, drugs, physical abuse, suicide, incest is all a part of just about everyone's family tree. The hopelessness is palpable.

But blaming what you call genocide is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Nobody alive today was there when North America was settled by the whites. I am not to blame for what the whites did to the natives, and the natives today are not to blame for the horrific things they did to the whites from the mountain men, to the westward migrants, to the settlers. The blame doesn't all lie on the backs of the Europeans. There's plenty of blame to go around for everyone involved. It's time we just got over it because there's nobody alive to blame. I've heard them tell stories about what they teach in their schools that are not historically accurate, and I know a guy who started a campaign to help natives get a college education and went around to schools, etc. explaining that they could have a better life by getting educated and being a part of the solution instead of the problem and he was met with a lot of resistance.

As long as there is a victim mentality rather than an over-comer mentality, things will never change. That's what everyone needs to work towards.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690121
12/11/19 03:46 PM
12/11/19 03:46 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
BernieB I agree with what you are saying.

I do believe that when Europeans took over this continent it was indeed a form of genocide, but I do not believe that to be the sole culpable source of the trouble today.

I mentioned it to remind some that it happened, not necessarily to place all of the blame of the current plight on that. As mentioned, it is a layered issue. I hear so many negative and outright disgusting comments toward these communities that it at times can become very frustrating. It is reassuring to read your words as you understand that palpable hopelessness you mentioned first hand. Many do not and I believe that is the root of tremendous ignorance and misunderstanding.

I will always approach topics like this from a recovery and trauma-informed standpoint. As you mentioned, we can only hope that others will slowly transition to this as well.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: pcr2] #6690136
12/11/19 04:12 PM
12/11/19 04:12 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I slapped a guy around one time with a 12 lb pike.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: MnMan] #6690140
12/11/19 04:15 PM
12/11/19 04:15 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by MnMan

But if I was minding my own business driving down some roads for a couple hours and ended up on their Main Street without any warning of not being allowed and 3 Indians came up in my face, I’d be throwing straight rights and left hooks till they all dropped.

This brings to mind a story I have often heard about a game warden with the initials of D.F. (who I had the displeasure of meeting once) from Thief River Falls a long time ago. It seems he managed to annoy some of the natives in some manner over a fishing issue where he probably had no jurisdiction anyway. They took it upon themselves to hold him down and insert a small walleye deeply into his butt. I understand he had to have surgery to have it removed. I'm not 100% sure this is a true story but it has been around a long time and if I were you I would be hesitant about throwing straight rights and left hooks since there's no telling how they might retaliate.

That sounds fishy. grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Boco] #6690142
12/11/19 04:18 PM
12/11/19 04:18 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Boco

Say Boco is this one of those “you shoulda seen the other guy” stories?

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690230
12/11/19 05:39 PM
12/11/19 05:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Nah,it wasnt really a scrap Osky it was more of an initiation.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690240
12/11/19 05:48 PM
12/11/19 05:48 PM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
I think a lot of their problems on the reservation could be solved if they would assimilate.

Help yourself.

Help yourself.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Boco] #6690262
12/11/19 06:06 PM
12/11/19 06:06 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Originally Posted by Boco

was he tryin to insert it??and the initial image made me laugh out loud and the wife thinks i'm up to somethin.--let her wonder,builds character.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread