No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Born] #6690344
12/11/19 07:18 PM
12/11/19 07:18 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Born
I think a lot of their problems on the reservation could be solved if they would assimilate.

Help yourself.

No not assimilate, accept and look forward. Be proud of your past but understand there are new and good ways to move yourself and your family forwards.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690370
12/11/19 07:35 PM
12/11/19 07:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Thats like asking Canada to Assimilate with the USA-Never happen.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Osky] #6690384
12/11/19 07:45 PM
12/11/19 07:45 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Born
I think a lot of their problems on the reservation could be solved if they would assimilate.

Help yourself.

No not assimilate, accept and look forward. Be proud of your past but understand there are new and good ways to move yourself and your family forwards.

Osky

What do they have to be proud of in their past?

Keith

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690390
12/11/19 07:48 PM
12/11/19 07:48 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
More than you I bet.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: BernieB.] #6690526
12/11/19 09:10 PM
12/11/19 09:10 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by MNCedar
I was glad to see that the MN guys were all pretty respectful. Honest and blunt, but still respectful. Sadly, the same cannot be said for others.

At a previous job, I had the opportunity to work with countless reservation youth in a treatment setting. The conditions in which these kids grow up is nothing short of one big, non-stop, traumatic event. Often times nothing, no one, and no place is safe for them every single day they are on earth. This leads to a form of generational trauma in which it is nearly impossible to break cycles. The conditions on Indian reservations in this country are undeniable proof that these human beings endured one of history's most overlooked genocides. This is a compound issue with no easy solution, assuming any could ever be found to counteract hundreds of years of murder and broken promises.

Jurassic, based on your comments I am going to assume that you don't read many books that are not primarily composed of pictures. Should this ever change, I could recommend a few that give some incredible insight on colonization from an Indian perspective.

I agree that there must be a lot more to the bear story.

I have also worked with some of these people in a treatment situation and agree it's hard to combat the generational trauma. I know of several people who have dedicated their lives to trying to help change the course. Life for people on the res so often is going from one crisis to the next. Alcohol, drugs, physical abuse, suicide, incest is all a part of just about everyone's family tree. The hopelessness is palpable.

But blaming what you call genocide is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Nobody alive today was there when North America was settled by the whites. I am not to blame for what the whites did to the natives, and the natives today are not to blame for the horrific things they did to the whites from the mountain men, to the westward migrants, to the settlers. The blame doesn't all lie on the backs of the Europeans. There's plenty of blame to go around for everyone involved. It's time we just got over it because there's nobody alive to blame. I've heard them tell stories about what they teach in their schools that are not historically accurate, and I know a guy who started a campaign to help natives get a college education and went around to schools, etc. explaining that they could have a better life by getting educated and being a part of the solution instead of the problem and he was met with a lot of resistance.

As long as there is a victim mentality rather than an over-comer mentality, things will never change. That's what everyone needs to work towards.

Agreed Bernie, well said.
Not to mention, they were killing each other and taking over each others lands long before the Europeans got here. No telling how many tribes were killed off or assimilated before the Europeans got here. Actually, might not be a stretch to say we wouldn't know what a live Indian looked like if Genghis Khan, China or Russia would have gotten here before us.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690648
12/11/19 11:15 PM
12/11/19 11:15 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Russia and Japan did get to the west coast well before The Cook expedition.
Look at some of the paleo people and you see clovis points inbeaded into their pelvises so hunted or be hunted as long been in place.

Jurrasic has gone quite...did he go for a side trip and a little rumble.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Northof50] #6690940
12/12/19 10:30 AM
12/12/19 10:30 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Northof50
Russia and Japan did get to the west coast well before The Cook expedition.
Look at some of the paleo people and you see clovis points inbeaded into their pelvises so hunted or be hunted as long been in place.

Jurrasic has gone quite...did he go for a side trip and a little rumble.

I should have said "settled" first.

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #6690984
12/12/19 11:13 AM
12/12/19 11:13 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
"What do they have to be proud of in their past?"

Obviously nothing. Thank you for the reminder.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #7285753
06/13/21 10:18 PM
06/13/21 10:18 PM
Wisconsin
D
Dirk Offline OP
trapper
Dirk  Offline OP
trapper
D

Wisconsin
Poacher plead guilty in September and was sentenced on June 9th 2021 to 15 months in prison

Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #7285894
06/14/21 12:21 AM
06/14/21 12:21 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
If the incident would have happened off reservation he'd have got a fine and walked away. 15 months in prison is nuts, I imagine it was mostly because he trespassed and killed the bear on Indian land.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Giant Red Lake MN black bear [Re: Dirk] #7286020
06/14/21 07:58 AM
06/14/21 07:58 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Any way to find WI black Bear records from years ago?
I have looked but not been successful.

Reason I ask is there was Guy in the town I grew up in who supposedly had the state record black bear.
The story around town was he bought it from the Indians off one of the reservations.

Just curious to see if his name is on the list and how big the bear was.
This would of been in the '60's. Maybe the '50's.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread