No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690279
12/11/19 06:23 PM
12/11/19 06:23 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

may do it tony,,do u know the squirrel pops near me are finally high now. I was spoiled from hunting them in w.va on the beech ridges as a young man and not so many here. We would clean them and in the mornin granny would fix squirrel gravy over biscuits with eggs n bacon..omg im Hungry!!!!!This past yr ive been shocked by the numbers killed on the roads...so maybe I will!!!

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690287
12/11/19 06:30 PM
12/11/19 06:30 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
UpstateNY , I eat a lot of squirrel . It has one of the best flavors of all wild meats . I cut into serving size pieces , soak in a mild salt water solution over night then simmer in water until tender/not quite falling off the bone . Dredge in your favorite coating and brown in a frying pan in the oil of your choice . A pressure cooker will tenderize the squirrel faster than simmering but both produce the same result . younger squirrels get tender pretty quick so I do them seperately from the older ones . Might I suggest the squirrels done as stated above and served with a rich brown gravy containing mushrooms and onions over some wide egg noodles with hot buttered biscuits or corn bread ?

Re: Squirrels [Re: VH60] #6690289
12/11/19 06:32 PM
12/11/19 06:32 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by VH60
UpstateNY , I eat a lot of squirrel . It has one of the best flavors of all wild meats . I cut into serving size pieces , soak in a mild salt water solution over night then simmer in water until tender/not quite falling off the bone . Dredge in your favorite coating and brown in a frying pan in the oil of your choice . A pressure cooker will tenderize the squirrel faster than simmering but both produce the same result . younger squirrels get tender pretty quick so I do them seperately from the older ones . Might I suggest the squirrels done as stated above and served with a rich brown gravy containing mushrooms and onions over some wide egg noodles with hot buttered biscuits or corn bread ?

That sounds delicious! Now I need to go get some squirrels.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690313
12/11/19 06:47 PM
12/11/19 06:47 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
I have a friend that cooked a few in a crock pot until falling apart. He took them out, removed all the bones, added barbeque sauce, mixed all together like pulled pork and took to work. They all knew it wasn't pork, but ate all of it. Did not know it was squirrel.

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690348
12/11/19 07:19 PM
12/11/19 07:19 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by squacks
The above pressure cooking methods will work.
I use 15 lbs of steam for 12 minutes. Most times, I just season salt them before cooking and enjoy them just like that.
After cooking you could add just a little BBQ sauce to them.
After pressure cooking, One of my friends loves to egg wash them, Roll them in white corn meal with a little red pepper and garlic powder added, then quick fry them only to brown the meal.
You can, after pressure cooking, pull the meat from the bones and make chili. It's good!
Or, you can add the boned meat with cream of celery and cream of mushroom soup. This will make a rich sauce. Pour this sauce over your favorite pasta. I like a 3 cheese tortellini.

For skinning instructions you can try this method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNuLAsXnuk&feature=youtu.be
The varmint doing the skinning is me and it was quite a few years ago. It was a time of phone modems and 10 minute downloads. It was also before cell phones.

Nice quick skinning there squacks !!

That method works really good... The only problem I have with it is when I put the ball through the ribs instead of the head... they tend to tear in half pretty easy then. Lol

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690541
12/11/19 09:24 PM
12/11/19 09:24 PM
N/E Il. NOT Chicago!!
S
squacks Offline
trapper
squacks  Offline
trapper
S

N/E Il. NOT Chicago!!
Mike:
That happens! Even a .22 lr hp through the ribs/spine may cause that. I have taken them with a .310 round ball but it best be in the head/neck area to save any meat at all. This time of year, I like a .22 magnum solid . It has a bit more usable range and can be sent through the ribs without much damage. It also anchors them quickly. I prefer to shoot squirrels in the head if at all possible but not so stuck on the idea that I am willing to go home "skunked" because of it! lol

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690579
12/11/19 09:52 PM
12/11/19 09:52 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I quarter them , roll them in flour. Salt pepper then brown in butter in the pressure cooker. Add a cup of stock and half a cup of red wine. 4 bay leaves and half a dozen juniper berries per squirrel. One chopped onion and some mixed mushrooms. ( re hydrated dried shrooms work best ) Cook in the pressure cooker till the meat comes of the bones. Let cool and pick the meat of the bones and put it back into the pot with the rest, thicken with some corn starch and serve with dumplings and red cabbage cooked with apple slices in it. And the rest of the red wine.

And thats how ya cook squirrels.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Squirrels [Re: Macthediver] #6690606
12/11/19 10:18 PM
12/11/19 10:18 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Online content
trapper
Actor  Online Content
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by Macthediver
For most my life I parboiled squirrels same as my mother did in just regular pot. Cook until meat was almost falling off bone...
I've always boiled then pan fried in oil of your choice with just Salt and Pepper..

Mac

I am with Mac on this... with the addition of rolling them in flour before frying them.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690667
12/11/19 11:41 PM
12/11/19 11:41 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
Put them in the crock pot, cover with chicken stock, set on high for the afternoon. When they come out, the meat falls off the bones and you wouldn't know it's not chicken unless someone told you.

Re: Squirrels [Re: VH60] #6690720
12/12/19 01:01 AM
12/12/19 01:01 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by VH60

That sounds pretty darn good over the noodles with some biscuts!! Quite a few recipes that sound real good in here.Gona have to try several.At least the grand kids will be happy to go squirrel hunting.

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/12/19 01:06 AM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690803
12/12/19 07:31 AM
12/12/19 07:31 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Squirrel is one of the best tasting wild meats in my opinion and my family agrees.

We use a method similar to the ones Macthediver, and VH60 have described. We keep it simple and let the delicious flavor of the meat dominate.

Eh...wot?

Re: Squirrels [Re: Lugnut] #6690845
12/12/19 08:51 AM
12/12/19 08:51 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Squirrel is one of the best tasting wild meats in my opinion and my family agrees.

We use a method similar to the ones Macthediver, and VH60 have described. We keep it simple and let the delicious flavor of the meat dominate.

Took a little digging in my files but I found a pic of some tree rat I had in the frying pan.. This batch appears to have just a bit more oil that I usually put in the pan. Looks to be some even rolled in flour?? The amount oil may have been a oups! and I just left it, makes no difference in long run. I've used butter too but then ya really got watch heat so don't burn before browns.
This is pretty much how I've always done Squirrels pretty simple.

[Linked Image]

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Squirrels [Re: Macthediver] #6690854
12/12/19 09:01 AM
12/12/19 09:01 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Macthediver
Originally Posted by Lugnut

Took a little digging in my files but I found a pic of some tree rat I had in the frying pan.. This batch appears to have just a bit more oil that I usually put in the pan. Looks to be some even rolled in flour?? The amount oil may have been a oups! and I just left it, makes no difference in long run. I've used butter too but then ya really got watch heat so don't burn before browns.
This is pretty much how I've always done Squirrels pretty simple.

[Linked Image]

Mac

I want to eat some of that right now !! We got a couple more days of deer season here.Soon as that's done Im taking the grand boys squirrel hunting.

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690868
12/12/19 09:19 AM
12/12/19 09:19 AM
trapper
trapper

Im goin too

Re: Squirrels [Re: west river rogue] #6690871
12/12/19 09:22 AM
12/12/19 09:22 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by west river rogue
Im goin too

Come on up Steve.We got LOTS of greys here.We don't have them big fox squirrels though.I would like to go somewhere that has those and shoot some of them.We have a lot of them black squirrels here too,,but I guess they are just a different color of grey squirrel so they say.They are the same size.

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690874
12/12/19 09:24 AM
12/12/19 09:24 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by west river rogue
Im goin too

Come on up Steve.We got LOTS of greys here.We don't have them big fox squirrels though.I would like to go somewhere that has those and shoot some of them.We have a lot of them black squirrels here too,,but I guess they are just a different color of grey squirrel so they say.They are the same size.

Yep, black squirrels are a dark phase grey. I love hunting them in the snow. You can see those little coal dots way out there. This spring I saw my first ever blonde squirrel, much rarer than the blacks.

Fox squirrels are big and tasty, thought the biggest ones get pretty tough.

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6690881
12/12/19 09:31 AM
12/12/19 09:31 AM
trapper
trapper

We have alot of fox squirrels here now...blacks are small here. Come on down T!

Re: Squirrels [Re: west river rogue] #6690986
12/12/19 11:15 AM
12/12/19 11:15 AM
Rose, NY
N
Night Owl 22 Offline
trapper
Night Owl 22  Offline
trapper
N

Rose, NY
Cooking them low and slow in a crock pot in spaghetti sauce will make them tender. The acid in the sauce breaks them down nicely.

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691012
12/12/19 11:48 AM
12/12/19 11:48 AM
N/E Il. NOT Chicago!!
S
squacks Offline
trapper
squacks  Offline
trapper
S

N/E Il. NOT Chicago!!
We started an invitational squirrel hunt on the old Marlintalk board around 19 years ago. The last one was this past September. It is held in the Shawnee National Forest on the southern tip of Illinois. It is officially a 5 day hunt because Illinois sells a 5 day small game license for a reasonable price. We have had folks show up from Virginia to Oregon and from Texas to New York. There have been a few folks from Britain and 1 from New Zealand.
This is a camping type hunt. This is NOT a squirrel hunting CONTEST.
I usually post a new invitation every Jan. 1 over on the rimfire central hunting forum.
If there is any interest in this hunt from members of this board, I can post the invite here as well.
There are usually 30 to 50 people show up for this event and it is a lot of fun if you enjoy squirrel hunting.

Re: Squirrels [Re: squacks] #6691091
12/12/19 01:27 PM
12/12/19 01:27 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by squacks
We started an invitational squirrel hunt on the old Marlintalk board around 19 years ago. The last one was this past September. It is held in the Shawnee National Forest on the southern tip of Illinois. It is officially a 5 day hunt because Illinois sells a 5 day small game license for a reasonable price. We have had folks show up from Virginia to Oregon and from Texas to New York. There have been a few folks from Britain and 1 from New Zealand.
This is a camping type hunt. This is NOT a squirrel hunting CONTEST.
I usually post a new invitation every Jan. 1 over on the rimfire central hunting forum.
If there is any interest in this hunt from members of this board, I can post the invite here as well.
There are usually 30 to 50 people show up for this event and it is a lot of fun if you enjoy squirrel hunting.

that might be kind of fun.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread