No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691125
12/12/19 02:07 PM
12/12/19 02:07 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Put in PC at 10lbs for 30 min. Cooking time starts when the gauge starts to rattle. Make sure there is enough water to make steam for 30 min. Fry in cast iron pay. Nothing better in my book.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691141
12/12/19 02:19 PM
12/12/19 02:19 PM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline
trapper
MAArcher  Offline
trapper
M

MA
I like to sear them and then put them in the crock pot with a bit of broth. When the meat is falling off the bones, pick them clean and use the stock to make a gravy. Add peas and carrots, coarse ground pepper, garlic, field garlic or chives, and then use it all for a pot pie filling or serve over toast or rice.

I haven't had squirrel in a few years and I was really looking forward to doing some squirrel hunting this year but we had a big population crash in my area last year due to a massive "squirrel migration" that resulted from a bad mast year. The streets were covered with dead squirrels. This year I think I'd have to hunt sun up to sun down to get a limit of 5.

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691240
12/12/19 04:25 PM
12/12/19 04:25 PM
Kansas
T
trapperbill Offline
trapper
trapperbill  Offline
trapper
T

Kansas

[Linked Image]

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691246
12/12/19 04:45 PM
12/12/19 04:45 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
I highly recommend trying this at least once. It is by far the most delectable way to prepare a squirrel. I’ve done public demonstrations of it, had seasoned squirrel eaters saying “no way that will be anything but rubber”. 30 minutes later they say, that’s the best squirrel I’ve ever eaten. Can’t always do it though, it requires an open fire and outside for the first part.
1. Take gutted squirrel, unskinned, DRY (like the fur is dry) squirrel and toss in a campfire. Roll it around a bit, then remove and scrape with back of a knife and toss back in a roll or two to burn off stubble. You will see what I mean when you do it.
2. Roast squirrel in the skin. Open fire on a grate, impales on a stick, doesn’t matter. Don’t be afraid to chat the skin a bit, it bubbles and protects the meat under it. Roast 25-35 minutes until done. OPTION: roast in the oven at 375-400 for 25-30 minutes.
3. Peel the skin off and eat.

I know, I know, you don’t believe me. I’m just offering it. I don’t blame you, I didn’t believe it either...

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Squirrels [Re: loosanarrow] #6691308
12/12/19 06:07 PM
12/12/19 06:07 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
I highly recommend trying this at least once. It is by far the most delectable way to prepare a squirrel. I’ve done public demonstrations of it, had seasoned squirrel eaters saying “no way that will be anything but rubber”. 30 minutes later they say, that’s the best squirrel I’ve ever eaten. Can’t always do it though, it requires an open fire and outside for the first part.
1. Take gutted squirrel, unskinned, DRY (like the fur is dry) squirrel and toss in a campfire. Roll it around a bit, then remove and scrape with back of a knife and toss back in a roll or two to burn off stubble. You will see what I mean when you do it.
2. Roast squirrel in the skin. Open fire on a grate, impales on a stick, doesn’t matter. Don’t be afraid to chat the skin a bit, it bubbles and protects the meat under it. Roast 25-35 minutes until done. OPTION: roast in the oven at 375-400 for 25-30 minutes.

I know, I know, you don’t believe me. I’m just offering it. I don’t blame you, I didn’t believe it either...

oh sure now I have to try it

going to set the traps and pick up another squirrel , I didn't reset after Mondays Squirrel.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Squirrels [Re: trapperbill] #6691361
12/12/19 07:12 PM
12/12/19 07:12 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by trapperbill

[Linked Image]

That's a nice bunch right there.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Squirrels [Re: loosanarrow] #6691374
12/12/19 07:28 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI

Hmong folk been doing it that way for long time..Not sure they even gut them first will have to ask my friend. He has been going to have his father in-law make me some like this since first met him. But tell the truth we haven't hunted squirrels together now for 5-6 years.
Was out on my drive way one day kept smelling that burn hair smell..Finally got my direction of wind right and heard what thought was shop vac. Peaked threw my privacy fence to see neighbor one yard over, Hmong fella. Burning hair off a squirrel with a heat gun. Singed pin feathers off a chicken when was done with squirrel. Now that I've done plenty times burn pin feathers.
So like said them folks been doing it long time. I've ate lot good food they have cooked, thought have yet to try the camp fire squirrel.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Squirrels [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6691375
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
we had very good results 1 squirrel 2 sheets alluminum foil , a pat of butter or drizzel of oil and some of your favorite BBQ sauce wrap in foil , flip , wrap in second sheet we did this on the coals at scout camp this worked out well and the boys could cook it and eat it right from the foil. rake the coals out and lay right on the coals it really didn't take that long maybe 30 minutes flip something about trapping that moisture inside the foil sort of steamed it , the meat fell of the bones.

I was watching a video yesterday where they were cooking squirrel and brown rice in a instapot 28 minutes at pressure is what they used . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7iQCtT89E

my wife just bought one of these instapot things , it is really just a pressure cooker but one you hardly have to watch at all it keeps the heat right , but it can also be a slow cooker

I looked that instapot contraption up and it said that it maintains around 12 lbs. of pressure.I was wonderin.

Re: Squirrels [Re: Macthediver] #6691391
12/12/19 07:42 PM
12/12/19 07:42 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Macthediver

Hmong folk been doing it that way for long time..Not sure they even gut them first will have to ask my friend. He has been going to have his father in-law make me some like this since first met him. But tell the truth we haven't hunted squirrels together now for 5-6 years.
Was out on my drive way one day kept smelling that burn hair smell..Finally got my direction of wind right and heard what thought was shop vac. Peaked threw my privacy fence to see neighbor one yard over, Hmong fella. Burning hair off a squirrel with a heat gun. Singed pin feathers off a chicken when was done with squirrel. Now that I've done plenty times burn pin feathers.
So like said them folks been doing it long time. I've ate lot good food they have cooked, thought have yet to try the camp fire squirrel.

Mac

Did you tell them "GET OFF MY LAWN" ? LOL

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/12/19 07:42 PM.

Re: Squirrels [Re: k snow] #6691415
12/12/19 08:07 PM
12/12/19 08:07 PM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline
trapper
Dillrod  Offline
trapper

S/W Mich.
"Yep, black squirrels are a dark phase grey. I love hunting them in the snow. You can see those little coal dots way out there. This spring I saw my first ever blonde squirrel, much rarer than the blacks.

Fox squirrels are big and tasty, thought the biggest ones get pretty tough."

Reminded me of some pics i took long ago , thought i would share.
Have only senn 4-5 in my life, believe they are a color phase of the local Fox squirrels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Some Domestication Required "

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691437
12/12/19 08:29 PM
12/12/19 08:29 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
They look like some HUGE squirrels !!

Re: Squirrels [Re: upstateNY] #6691449
12/12/19 08:35 PM
12/12/19 08:35 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline OP
trapper
upstateNY  Offline OP
trapper
U

ny
My tongue is slappin myself silly after seeing some of the pics of cooked squirrels in here.Cant wait to try some out.

Re: Squirrels [Re: Macthediver] #6691711
12/12/19 11:40 PM
12/12/19 11:40 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by Macthediver

Mac

If you cook them fresh, without freezing, it is actually much easier to burn the fur first and then gut them. Not only does the skin become much easier to cut, but the guts and vitals cook just a little and the firm up (the blood firms up a bit too) so the innerds are easier to remove and significantly less mess.

The reason I said gut them is that most of the time I freeze most of my squirrels. If you freeze them, be sure to gut them first because when they thaw, the non-vitals will bloat as soon as you put it in the fire to burn the fur, and it will be difficult to gut them without the old yuk-yuk spewing forth.

So when they are fresh, gut after burning fur. But always gut before freezing.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread