No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691448
12/12/19 08:35 PM
12/12/19 08:35 PM
Berlin, Pa.
C
cci Offline
trapper
cci  Offline
trapper
C

Berlin, Pa.
Originally Posted by tomahawker
She’s 2.5 years old. I bought her started out of North Dakota a week before thanksgiving. She stays in the house and is calm as could be. But get in the fields and her switch is flipped. She minds well but wants to chase everything from sparrows to deer. We’re hunting together pretty well. Although today I lost her and screamed my head off, hitting the shock collar only to find her on point 20 yards away. Cockbird at that! I felt 6 inches tall

Do that a few times (sometimes just once) and you will make her bird shy. No more hunting. Get a beeper. Once you hunt with one you wont ever want to be without one

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691546
12/12/19 09:50 PM
12/12/19 09:50 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
I've got an older spayed female Brittany, orange and white, mostly white. She hunts close and you can see her good. I've never used anything but a bell.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691549
12/12/19 09:52 PM
12/12/19 09:52 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
Had a beeper. I don’t want a beeper. Already mentioned running a gps collar, that is what I like. Dead batteries is why it happened. The gps controller vibes when on point, shows direction and distance to dog at all times. Up to like 8 miles away. Maps dog track and controller track. Records hunt tracks, will guide you to truck location and anything else you drop a pin on. You try that and you’ll love it. Garmin 430T. Has a lot of features I don’t use but the gps function is simple, quick and accurate.

Last edited by tomahawker; 12/12/19 09:57 PM.
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: cci] #6691575
12/12/19 10:07 PM
12/12/19 10:07 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
In the 70,s and 80,s I had a Springer Spaniel he was slow to understand what he was supposed to do He had a dumb owner he needed to get past Once the owner caught on, he help our group of hunters get a lot more birds . The pheasant population disappeared in PA in the early 80.s so I took up archery hunting and started bow hunting out of state .Now health issues limit how much time and energy I can spend hunting and balance issues have reduced my time spent in a tree stand . So I got 2 dogs now .A 3 year old Boykin Spaniel .She had the light bulb go on this season after a slow start due to some gun shy issues She now is seeking birds and gets them airborne .At first she would look for them if she happened to stumbled on scent .Now she trailing and flushing birds . She needs some retrieving work but she will locate dead birds and stand there until you find her .Boykin #2,The younger one is just 9 months old She ranges a bit to far ahead and does not work the cover as well as the older one and still needs to do better with hand signals Dogs are like people , all different in what they are good at But as my learning about how to work with dogs has increased I figured out like many others " I like dogs more than I like most people"

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691579
12/12/19 10:11 PM
12/12/19 10:11 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Had a beeper. I don’t want a beeper. Already mentioned running a gps collar, that is what I like. Dead batteries is why it happened. The gps controller vibes when on point, shows direction and distance to dog at all times. Up to like 8 miles away. Maps dog track and controller track. Records hunt tracks, will guide you to truck location and anything else you drop a pin on. You try that and you’ll love it. Garmin 430T. Has a lot of features I don’t use but the gps function is simple, quick and accurate.

I'd much rather use my ears than eyes to locate a dog on point. Birds don't hold forever, the quicker you get to your dog, the better off you'll both be.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: Posco] #6691598
12/12/19 10:19 PM
12/12/19 10:19 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
Not wanting the p!$$ match. Thanks for all the comments. I’m out

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: Gator Foot] #6691607
12/12/19 10:22 PM
12/12/19 10:22 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Gator Foot
I can relate! Same thing happened to me! My dog would work farther and farther away trying to find birds. The next dog I’m thinking about is a Brittany. I heard they like to hunt a little closer. Which means less birds! So, I’m still thinking!

It doesn't do you much good if your dog is working birds a quarter mile away from you. Pheasant run but grouse do, too. You want a dog that can relocate on a moving bird without bumping it but you want it working close enough to you to get a crack at the bird. I don't want a bootlicker but any dog that's working forty yards ahead of me is the dog I want.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691609
12/12/19 10:23 PM
12/12/19 10:23 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Not wanting the p!$$ match. Thanks for all the comments. I’m out

Not a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) match, gobs of experience.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: cci] #6691636
12/12/19 10:45 PM
12/12/19 10:45 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by cci
She’s 2.5 years old. I bought her started out of North Dakota a week before thanksgiving. She stays in the house and is calm as could be. But get in the fields and her switch is flipped. She minds well but wants to chase everything from sparrows to deer. We’re hunting together pretty well. Although today I lost her and screamed my head off, hitting the shock collar only to find her on point 20 yards away. Cockbird at that! I felt 6 inches tall

Do that a few times (sometimes just once) and you will make her bird shy. No more hunting. Get a beeper. Once you hunt with one you wont ever want to be without one

Just curious but does a beeper collar scare the birds? Out west the birds are real cautious

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691641
12/12/19 10:48 PM
12/12/19 10:48 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Also, what’s everyone’s experience with a lab chasing birds? I had this problem this year and it was tough on my dog and fruitless because they’d finally come to a block and flush 80 yards away. I definitely have to fix this

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: bass10] #6691648
12/12/19 10:52 PM
12/12/19 10:52 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by bass10
Also, what’s everyone’s experience with a lab chasing birds? I had this problem this year and it was tough on my dog and fruitless because they’d finally come to a block and flush 80 yards away. I definitely have to fix this

Labs are typically a flushing dog and not a pointing breed. If you got the dog knowing it was a flusher, you need to control how closely it works.

I didn't know anything about dogs when I first started out and was trying to get a Springer Spaniel to point. I was working against every instinct that was bred into the dog. Ninety percent of it is instinct, the dog has it or it doesn't. Getting a handle on the dog is the other ten percent.

Last edited by Posco; 12/12/19 11:04 PM.
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691655
12/12/19 10:59 PM
12/12/19 10:59 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I’m not a big fan of collars, and have had a set for my last eleven dogs. Used one on a male lab that liked to run deer. Sparky ended that in one application. I’ve seen more dogs ruined than i’ve Ever seen helped.
Couple pictures from last week in Sd. Conditions were real bad, with rotten ice under 6” of snow. Dogs and I both going through ice after chasing birds into the cattails. Ice would hold the birds but not the dogs, nor I. Came home after three days with a limping dog and four pair of soaked boots. Should be better next week after this cold spell.
That Springer pup(Cash) turned 7 months old today. Got his first solo hen flush the last day we hunted. The bird on the far left in the tailgate shot is missing his tail feathers. Cash “helped” retrieve that one! Lol

Last edited by Rally; 12/12/19 11:06 PM.

Keep your boots dry
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: Posco] #6691661
12/12/19 11:05 PM
12/12/19 11:05 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by Posco

Labs are typically a flushing dog and not a pointing breed.

Yes I realize this but birds ran a lot on us this year and she chased them through some pretty tough brush that left her eyes, nose and lips a mess. I couldn’t buzz her back when she chases? But yes she is not a pointer

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: bass10] #6691666
12/12/19 11:09 PM
12/12/19 11:09 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Yes I realize this but birds ran a lot on us this year and she chased them through some pretty tough brush that left her eyes, nose and lips a mess. I couldn’t buzz her back when she chases? But yes she is not a pointer

I didn't mean to sound pompous, my apologies. I've hunted over pointing dogs for a lot of years, both my own and others. Ninety percent of the game is having a obedient dog, that's if the instincts are there. I'd rather hunt over no dog than one that completely ignores its owner/handler and goes out self-hunting.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: w side rd 151] #6691673
12/12/19 11:16 PM
12/12/19 11:16 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Me too.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691706
12/12/19 11:38 PM
12/12/19 11:38 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Bass10,
I'm a lab guy, and have five now. The Springer came from my grandson who couldn't have it where he lived after getting it as a wedding present!
Best thing I can tell you is to train your dogs to stay close at home, not in the field. Any dog will naturally push them hard until they learn the distance limits you impose. I run my dogs twice a day in a five acre field. When they get too far away call them back until they learn how far is too far. A puppy usually takes a long check chord/ leash for awhile, but just be consistent. After awhile they get the idea and will look or listen for you. That is real important to me, because I most often run several dogs at once, usually hunt alone, on CREP or Walk-in land open to the public, and in cattails taller than I am, so they need to keep track of me also.
Birds flying out of a drive is quite common on hard hunted public ground. Not much you can do, but try to push them to points or corners, to better offer a shot. The worse the weather usually the longer they hold. I've hunted in fields that birds are so wild they flush 1/4 section ahead of you. Post blockers if you have them, but even then smart birds will come out the sides or where there are no blockers. I watched four roosters run down a drainage ditch and out the side of a five man drive from a hill top vantage point once. The guys never fired a shot, nor saw the birds! Old roosters don't get old being dumb.

Last edited by Rally; 12/12/19 11:41 PM.

Keep your boots dry
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: J.Morse] #6691746
12/13/19 12:19 AM
12/13/19 12:19 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by J.Morse
Neat stuff. Pheasant hunting is, along with squirrel hunting, one of the earliest memories I have with my biological father, who died when I was a pup. I can remember playing the part of the flusher/retriever dog while chasing roosters when I was likely only 3-4 years old. There were pheasants up the ying AND the yang back in those days. During the war (before my time) my brother would slowly drive the car around the section for our father.....who sat in the passenger seat with the .22 rifle poked out the window. They'd go around the section and my dad would shoot a good mess of birds for Sunday dinner. Meat was rationed and all those roosters cost was a little gas and a small number of .22 shells. I still own that rifle. They were still thick until my memories were formed in the late 50's. There aren't many birds nowadays. I once had an uncle drive to our place, from an upstate area without pheasants, so he could get some birds to eat. He loved wild rooster meat. My father had to work and couldn't hunt with him that day, so he lined up a friend to take my uncle hunting. They stomped around and both men filled their 2 bird limits. My uncle was given all 4 birds to take back north. Well it was about dusk when he left. As he was leaving my father told him he'd taken the .22 to work and went hunting on his way home afterwards, and would my uncle like his birds too. Uncle was thrilled to have them. The Old Man went to the barn and grabbed a gunny sack that was "filled with skinned pheasants". My father put them in the back seat and told my uncle that he wanted pheasant meat, and he now had some! During the heyday of Michigan pheasant hunting, it was as if there were so many birds they were like locusts to some farmers. That all ended by the 70's.

Nice story J.Morse!

Cold as ice!
Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: Posco] #6691791
12/13/19 02:36 AM
12/13/19 02:36 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Posco

Ninety percent of the game is having a obedient dog, that's if the instincts are there. I'd rather hunt over no dog than one that completely ignores its owner/handler and goes out self-hunting.

Sounds like the dog I hunt over. Bad manners, runs way ahead, doesn't come when called.
Hunting Grouse and woodcock.

Have to have a beeper/GPS on the dog. She will point 125yds away and without beeper/gps and bell only you'd never find her.
She is poor on following a moving bird.
So she does reasonably good on pointing woodcock, poor on Grouse.

And woodcock do run/move even with a dog on them.

We saw it last year, a woodcock ran across the logging road leaving the dog behind pointing where it started from. Woodcock ran approx. 15 yards.
Had to get dog off old point and get her to area that the bird ran to.
She started pointing again only to have bird flush about 10 yards ahead of dog.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: Rally] #6691884
12/13/19 09:04 AM
12/13/19 09:04 AM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by Rally
Bass10,
I'm a lab guy, and have five now. The Springer came from my grandson who couldn't have it where he lived after getting it as a wedding present!
Best thing I can tell you is to train your dogs to stay close at home, not in the field. Any dog will naturally push them hard until they learn the distance limits you impose. I run my dogs twice a day in a five acre field. When they get too far away call them back until they learn how far is too far. A puppy usually takes a long check chord/ leash for awhile, but just be consistent. After awhile they get the idea and will look or listen for you. That is real important to me, because I most often run several dogs at once, usually hunt alone, on CREP or Walk-in land open to the public, and in cattails taller than I am, so they need to keep track of me also.
Birds flying out of a drive is quite common on hard hunted public ground. Not much you can do, but try to push them to points or corners, to better offer a shot. The worse the weather usually the longer they hold. I've hunted in fields that birds are so wild they flush 1/4 section ahead of you. Post blockers if you have them, but even then smart birds will come out the sides or where there are no blockers. I watched four roosters run down a drainage ditch and out the side of a five man drive from a hill top vantage point once. The guys never fired a shot, nor saw the birds! Old roosters don't get old being dumb.

Thanks Rally, my girl is 4 now and I originally trained her for pheasants and shed hunting. We don't have wild birds but do a few pen raised hunts a year and one trip to Iowa. I think when dogs aren't hunting the way you want them to it falls directly on me. We've only had her to Iowa twice now. I'm thinking she is not getting on them close enough to me but doing what Posco said and actually out self-hunting? But the ones she was getting on close would take off and she'd go after them and I didn't want to call her back off of them. I've got some work to do before next year and have about 30 pen raised birds left but they are completely different and don't tend to run like wild birds. I need to find a forum so I can ask some people that have been down this road. I paid good money when she was 6 months old on training but I probably won't do that again.

Last edited by bass10; 12/13/19 09:06 AM.

Re: 4 hard days bird hunting [Re: tomahawker] #6691915
12/13/19 09:35 AM
12/13/19 09:35 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Nice looking Dog!

Cool pic.