No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
A Writing of Miine.... #6690135
12/11/19 04:09 PM
12/11/19 04:09 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Although I have been on this site for 11 years, many years very active at other times, not so much. I don't really know many of you personally. One of my favorite things, other than trapping, (NO NOT THAT) ... I enjoy writing. I have been writing and publishing outdoor articles since 1971 and have published approximately 200. I have published in Fur, Fish & Game, Ohio Fisherman, and a regular monthly contributor the Outdoor Beacon for about 8 or 9 years, and Trappers Post. I also did articles for several newspapers and other magizines that are no long being published.

I also did the book called "Muskrats", that is being printed by Dakota Trappers Supply and can be purchased from several of the well known trapper supply companies. I also have a novel I wrote that is an adventure, with some hunting and trapping thrown in. I published it as an Ebook on Amazon.

Even before I was doing outdoor articles I was writing poetry. Most of it was of a rhyming style, but some as story style and some plain free verse. I am in the process of putting all of these writings together, hoping to publish it through Amazon, in Ebook and maybe printed form.

Why am I telling you this? Because I want to get to know some of you better, so what better way than you getting to know me better. I see what a lot of you are doing through photos of projects, etc., so I am presenting to you one of the last pieces I wrote, in a story form. It is one of the pieces that I enjoy reading over and over again. I am hoping that some of you will enjoy it, although I am sure some of you aren't interested in this type of writing, and that is okay too.

I am also using this to encourage others of you, to tell your stories of some of the unusual things you enjoy doing, so we all may get to know one another better.

Yours truly,

Garry-

PS - in case you are wondering, my user name Actor came from the 32 years of stage acting I did, but that is another story.

A Magical Day

Garry L. McLaughlin

As green as emeralds were the lush thick grass. Sprinkled throughout the carpet of greenery, were flowers of every kind, shape, and size, their sweet fragrance wafted through the air and titillated my senses.

The regal oak trees softly whispered their approval as they gently beckoned for all in their domain to participate in this joyous day. Shards of sunlight eluded the oak’s crown and pierced the ground all around me. The weeping willow trees dipped and weaved gently touching the pool of life-giving water, forming ringlets; one after another they raced across the otherwise placid surface of the water.

One sense after another stimulated my being, to my delight. Then a voice echoed from a faint whisper in the breeze. “Come to me, come to me.” With great trepidation and trembling, I at first hesitated and then slowly I began to rise to a sitting position. Peering in the direction of the pool, I could see nothing, but the sunrays that illuminated the mist rising from the water’s surface.
Intently I listened, but I could hear nothing except two rival birds dueling back and forth with their melodic calls.
Having held my breath so as not to let the sounds of my breathing interfere with the mystical voice, I sighed, a deep and wistful sigh, that must have astounded even the regal oaks.
Knowing that I had let my imagination twist and contort nature’s sounds into something that can be read about only in fairytales, I started to recline to my original position with my eyes closed, so as to absorb all that was around me. When all went quiet.

A chill went through my body, as though I had been pierced by a bolt of lightning. My breath left me. My eyes opened as quickly as the lens on a camera when the button is actuated.
I gazed at my surroundings. Slowly looking for anything I thought was out of place. I listened so intently, I imagined I could hear an orchestra of violins and harps playing a rhapsody with Mother Nature's creatures and plants being the participants. My senses were alert and ready for any sign of movement or sound.

There, it was again. “Come to me, come to me.” I slowly raised myself to a sitting position. I notice that mist that had been hanging listlessly over the water had now started to gather at a place in the middle of the pond. As it gathered it formed a vortex and slowly descended, down into the water.

All my senses had now reached a peak of awareness. I was full of apprehension but cautiously rose to my feet. My mind was whirling faster than the vortex of mist as I approached the edge of the pond. I looked, into the water at the point of the vortex and it was milky white in appearance and was slowly encroaching on the clarity of the surrounding water. The water at my feet was clear and I could see the bottom a few inches below the surface … What was happening?

My eyes quickly shifted to the vortex … “Come to me, come to me,” the voice whispered from the water. I could now hear it was an Angelic voice of a young female … or was it?
“Where are you, what do you need,” I cried out?

"Help me, come to me, help me," the voice responded. As the voice wafted into silence, I observed a delicate, feminine hand and arm reach up from the water.
Oh, Dear Lord, someone is drowning and I must try and save her … Without hesitation, I leaped from the bank of the pond. When my feet came down they didn't light on water … they landed abruptly on ice. Quickly I looked around. I had landed about 6 to 8 feet from the bank. Everything in front of me was covered by ice, and everything behind me was, as it had been.

“Help me. Please come help me,” the voice pleaded.

I could see the vortex had subsided and formed an ever-expanding cloud of haze over a jagged hole in the ice, twenty feet in front of me. I could see the hand and arm rise from the hole and slowly vanish back into the water. I was fearful of the of the ice and was becoming quite chilled. I must go on I thought and edged toward the hole. Almost to the hole, I noticed the delicate white arm was becoming blue.

As I reached the edge of the hole, the arm reached up, I grabbed it and with a swift and straining pull lifted the beautiful young being from the water and into my arms. With one swift motion, I had pulled her from the water and she ended up in my arms curled into a ball with her head tucked in.

Holding her was like holding a very large piece of ice. I hadn't realized how cold I was until that moment. My eyes were to the point of freezing shut and the water that dripped from her expulsion from the water had drenched me and immediately froze into cakes of ice and ice cycles hanging from my arms. I slowly moved toward the shore. Aware of the ever-increasing cracking of the ice beneath my feet, I moved forward.

As I reached the bank, I was relieved, but almost entirely blinded by the ice. I carefully stepped up onto the bank and the ice melted away almost immediately. I could feel the body that was cradled in my arms begin to warm but without any movement. As I walked, my breathing and warmth were returning to my body.

I opened my half-shut eyes to look at the beautiful creature I had so instinctively rescued … And she was gone. I had just felt her arms around my neck and her body and weight in my arms …. Where had she gone?

Totally amazed, I stood there with my arms at my side. Then I saw a movement on the front of my shirt … I looked down and there was a beautiful butterfly. Its wings were golden with streaks of a rainbow running through them. I reached my hand down to it … it crawled onto my fingers … flapped its wings … and flew away.

I turned around and looked at the pond, and the tree, the sun was shining through its branches … this truly has been a magical day.

September 14, 2017

Last edited by Actor; 12/11/19 04:11 PM.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6690544
12/11/19 09:26 PM
12/11/19 09:26 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Hey Garry,

I used to write short stories myself. Never had anything published though. I lost everything I had saved when an older puter took a dump. I think one of my sisters and a cousin may still have most of it.

I started a book about 15 years ago that I never did finish. Funny thing about the book, those who had read it told me it was more like a movie than a book......lol I really never have understood that. I may sit down someday and finish it, but who knows?

Your "Magical Day" was a good read for me. Kept me guessing at what was coming next. I like that sort of thing. Also reminded me of one of my writings where I got educated on why a particular area I hunted a lot was called "Ghost Bottoms".

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6690603
12/11/19 10:13 PM
12/11/19 10:13 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Here is why you got the comment about a movie....

"The dialogue novel is a unique creature. In it the conversations among characters are the primary or only means of narrative advancement—so the initial experience might be similar to reading a play or movie script, where we’re tasked to mentally dramatize what we’re reading."

The way you write is most likely the way I write novel, because I get the same thing. The elite class, that does the publishing of books want you to have 2/3 narrative and no more than 1/3 in dialogue.
Life isn't that way. I don't have anyone reading the lines that tell how I am living my life, besides that, I am single and don't have a wife telling me either.

Thank you for the nice comments.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6690728
12/12/19 01:14 AM
12/12/19 01:14 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Nice piece of work there, Actor. Send a copy on down to the Pen & Quill forum, if you want it critiqued or commented on.

I tend to use a lot of dialogue in my own work, and at times have trouble getting rid of superfluous or unnecessary speech by my characters. But I've found the same thing you have: agents and editors want mostly narrative.

I want to say, "But Shakespeare wrote his great works through dialogue alone."

To be told by a modern reader your story reminds them of a movie is not a bad thing.

Jim

Last edited by James; 12/12/19 01:15 AM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691058
12/12/19 12:55 PM
12/12/19 12:55 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Thank you James … As I stated, my intent was to get to know people on the site, through exposing my some of my background to others and getting others to do the same. As far as the Pen and Quill... well I am not looking for validation for my writing or anything else I do.

You are correct James about the narrative vs. dialogue... I believe the elite haven't developed their imagination to the point, to be able to fully comprehend a dialogue driven story. I find in talking to people that were born before TV, and weren't fortunate to go to the movie theater, as a very young person, had to rely on the radio for their entertainment. Listening to stories on the radio forced people to develop their imagination.

The piece I posted was the result of my having 2 TIAs in late 2016 and again in early 2017. My mind was shot and through writing this piece over a period of 6 months I was able to start using my thoughts and again putting them on paper. Before the TIA, I could have written this piece in a couple of hours, not 6 months. I am now, able to write some outdoor articles and specifically, trapping articles. I have recently sold one to Trappers Post that should appear in the near future. Your mind can do many fabulous things, but there are times when you have to force it.

So I say to il.trapper and James and anyone else... write the way you want, write what you and you always have Amazon and other places you can get it published in EBook format at no cost. Then if you feel comfortable in doing so, you can spend a little money and have Amazon put it in print.

Here is a tidbit about online publishers... They can put your book in print, but it is not cheap... I had a publisher calling me and sending me email on a weekly basis. They were calling in reference to the EBook novel I had on Amazon... they wanted to put it in print for me. Finally after several months I took one of their phone calls. They were going to edit it, and publish, and on and on. I ask if they thought it would sell. Of course it would sell, they responded and we will set it up on an easy payment plan for me.

At this point the little lightbulb came on in my head... Okay here is the deal... I will send you my manuscript, you will edit it, I already have a cover designed, so you will print it, I already have the copywrite, so I will buy the ISBN, and you can publish it and as far as the easy payment... the payments will be deducted from the copies of the book you sell. I want 50 cents per book, and the rest will go toward the payment that I owe for the printing and distribution. At the time you have recouped the costs that we agree on, I will then get all of the proceeds.

"WHAT, WE CAN'T DO THAT!"

"Why not, you said it would really sell", I asked them. The call didn't last very long after that.

Caveat emptor... ("let the buyer beware.")

Garry-

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691093
12/12/19 01:32 PM
12/12/19 01:32 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois

Garry,

I had no idea about the e-books and such stuff. It is something I may very well look into.

Many of what I had written was about family members and others I have met or spent time with throughout my life. My cuz, who has had a few things published, told me to be very careful about writing about family and friends. I found out she was right. Some of my family didn't appreciate I saw other family members, or how I thought about a few of them.

So, I started writing in a way that I could tell the same stories but not use specific names or people. I also started writing more fiction. I presume most people who write fiction are putting to print what they have dreamed of, or at the least their own thoughts and beliefs. That is how I write. I am an outdoors person, thus I write about the outdoors. In fictional work I write it how I imagine it.

I make my living as an ADC trapper. I have several hobbies. Blacksmith, boat rebuilding, woodwork, fishing, and metal fabrication. I also have participated in rendezvous and other re-enactments. I camp any time I get the chance.

I am a grandpa now and love this part of my life. Wish I could spend more time with the g-kids. I hope to live long enough that I can show these younguns a few things they won't get anywhere else. That I try to do with any youngun that shows an interest. Nothing pleases me more than to see that I have helped a youngun learn something they maybe had not even heard of before.

Going to stop now, but will add more later.

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691122
12/12/19 02:04 PM
12/12/19 02:04 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
People who want to write and think of themselves as writers can be really gullible when it comes to "Vanity" press. Obviously you decided it wasn't for you and saw through it right away. Here's the deal, it takes a LOT OF MONEY to make a book work. They do not sell themselves, you have to market the heck out of them. Get an interview on Oprah or Ellen and you'll sell 5,000 copies or don't get any interview and you sell 50 copies to your relatives and friends. Those vanity press places work for people who simply want to see their work in print that's why their called vanity.

Another option is to do a books on demand printing. This way you can just print a book each time one is ordered. It will cost you about 3-4 times as much per book to do this as self-publishing costs, but it's one way to sell some books even though there's very little profit in this method.

I have self-published 13 print books and several kindle books. Kindle has never become what many of us thought it would be. In fact I would call it a bust for established authors like me. I have made up to $60,000 on a self-published book and I had one that I lost money on. Most of them pay for themselves and provide a small income but here's the deal with self publishing: you better have a very solid niche and you pay the money up front and take all the risks. This never seems to work with novels and poetry books. It has worked for me with how-to books such as trapping, fishing and hunting books. The two books I'm making money from right now have a very tight niche: The Bear Baiter's Manual and The Freelance Bowhunter. I'll give you an idea how the numbers look.

On both of these books I printed 5,000 copies to get the cost per book down under $3 per book. (Do the math to figure out how much I had to shell out up front) They are about 200 pages with full color. The bear book was printed in 2013 and I have about 1,700 left, the Bowhunting book was printed in 2014 and I have about 2,700 left. They sell for $20 each and I sell almost entirely retail, no dealers. In 2017, I was working on a new book called Bowhunting Farmland Whitetails when book sales plummeted. The trend the past five years has been steeply downward for outdoor books, not coincidentally paralleling the rise of YouTube. At that time I abandoned the Farmland deer book and have not finished it and never will.

I believe the ability to communicate with language is a God-given gift and if you don't have it you're wasting your time. You can improve your ability to write but if it doesn't come naturally and if people don't read it and love it right away, you are going to be struggling forever with it. When a person is trying really hard to write something good, but they do not have the gift, it just seems like they are trying too hard when you read their stuff. Their adjectives are too flowery, you get the idea.

I've been fortunate to make the majority of my living from writing for nearly 30 years and I give the credit to God who gave me the gift and to the hours I spent busting my hump to get my writing sold. Doesn't matter how good of a writer you are, if you can't sell your stuff you are going to starve. And you better learn to take good photos and lots of them.

More than 1,000 magazine articles later, I have now begun to turn down work from some of the websites and print magazines that don't pay me what I believe my time is worth. Fortunately there are websites out there that pay as well or better than some of the print magazines. For example, realtree.com pays me $500 for features and $300 for shorts. I have turned down work at magazines that you all subscribe to because they don't pay enough.

Sorry this is so long but I thought it would help the OP and anyone else who might be reading this thinking they would like to write and get paid for it. I have a couple novels rolling around in my head but for the time being, I have to spend my days writing what pays the bills and I don't know if the novels will ever get written.

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691137
12/12/19 02:15 PM
12/12/19 02:15 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
In case you're interested, this is the cover of the book that will likely never be printed. smile

[Linked Image]

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691237
12/12/19 04:20 PM
12/12/19 04:20 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Thank you Bernie... that was very informative. Most of it I am very familiar with, but most younger enthusiasts aren't and that should be helpful to them. I am a writer, but don't consider myself a professional writer. To clarify that, I enjoy writing and after initial efforts many years ago to become a professional writer where I make my living from it, flew out the window. I wrote my book on "Muskrats", to try and answer questions to youngster that were just getting started and to try fill voids that others might have. I was entirely created by me including typing, most of the photography, layout, everything except the printing and I paid for that. I use to own a printing business, so was well aware of everything that went into it. After I sold enough of them to recoup my expenses + 4 Xs, I sold the printing rights to it. I still own the copywrite to it and if the person I sold it to, no longer decides to publish it, it comes back to me.

Self printing or vanity printing is not cheap nor is it easy to make any money from. Like you said, to sale it, you must have a market for it. I us to design web pages for myself and others. I charged them for my service, but not nearly what the "So called Professionals do". I had a hard time convincing people that having a web page is worthless, if you don't have a plan to put in place for others to find it.

I am not as prolific a writer as you are and I am happy for you. I have always been to active in too many things all at once along with having a full time to boot.

Such is life and we hope that each of take the gifts we are given and put them to use the best we can.

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 12/12/19 04:20 PM.

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691424
12/12/19 08:15 PM
12/12/19 08:15 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I write mostly fiction, which probably wouldn't surprise some of my fans here. I've sold (first rights only) ten stories, ranging from a short-short to a novella, mostly in the science fiction, fantasy, and mystery genres. I won an award from the Mystery Writers of America, and have been nominated for several awards in the SF genre. One of my SF stories was about trapping. It generated a few venomous letters to the editor from antis.

I have had published a few non-fiction articles, including one with F-F-G, but that's really not my bag. Whenever I get an idea for a non-fiction article, I always think I'll write it down someday, when I have time. The last few years I've been working mostly on novels, though I haven't found an agent or publisher for one--nor have I finished one to my own satisfaction.

I agree with the remarks above about vanity presses. They exist to take your money only. A legitimate publisher will pay you for your writing, if they think it will sell; and tell you no, if they don't. The only exception is if you know going in that the only sales will likely be to friends and family.

If you're trying to break into a short fiction magazine, all I can tell you is keep sending out your work, until you start getting personal notes from editors, which means you're getting close to selling your stories.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691605
12/12/19 10:21 PM
12/12/19 10:21 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
After a career of writing and publishing in scientific journals and several book chapters on a variety of wildlife subjects, I tired of the "paper chase". In that arena, the top line scientific journals generally charge "page charges" to have your manuscript published, and you pay them rather than the other way around. A real scam, as far as I'm concerned.

Several years ago, I wrote a piece of fiction called "The Last Hunt". Several of you have read it. I had a friend in Alaska that had published a couple books, and he turned me on to his agent. I sent her the manuscript and, lo and behold, she found a publisher. This publisher (top of the line) contacted me and said they really wanted the manuscript, but had a two page list of things he wanted changed. In my opinion, those changes would have altered the entire story, and made the manuscript much more "Hollywood". I was unwilling to alter it, so I declined. The manuscript laid around for another couple of years until my wife took it upon herself to find a publisher. She did so, but it was one of the so-called "vanity" publishers. We went ahead with the publishing, but it cost us nearly $1000. Without a recognized publisher behind me, along with an agent and a publicist (who all get a piece of the action), I suspect the book will never go anywhere. That's okay with me, as I didn't have to "dumb it down" for the commercial market.

Since that time, I've sold many articles to outdoor magazines, and, while it doesn't pay real well, I can generally turn out a salable article in just a few hours, and it beats skinning coyotes. The proceeds from those short articles paid for the publication costs of the novel, plus, only because my mother liked the book, I've netted enough to buy a cheap 6-pk of beer.

Jack

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691662
12/12/19 11:06 PM
12/12/19 11:06 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I have what I consider to be a "Cozy Mystery" that is all complete except the last 2 chapters. I have those 2 chapters written in my head so if I decide, I will put them on paper. I was in contact with a couple agents that showed some interest in this mystery and was interested enough that she had a professional (I am sorry, I still have holes in my memory) person that checks and makes changes to your manuscript read it the first chapter and make needed changes in the first 3 pages. I was really excited about this until I got the pages back. I thought they had sent me someone else's writing. I couldn't even recognize it. I told the agent to forget it.

When I write, I write with probably close to 75% dialogue, (strike 1). I write in normal every day speak. If scenario is in the 1960s, that is how I write it. (Strike 2). I don't use profanity, except maybe h3ll or dam. (Strike 3). I don't lace it with sex and drugs. (Strike 4)… I guess I am out. I was told by one agent those are things that sell books. I guess I will never sell many then.

Oh the person I was trying to think of is an EDITOR. I use to belong to a writers group on FB. There were several professional editors on there. I ask several of them the cost of having a novel of 40,000 to 60,000 words edited would cost. Between $2000 and $3000. I then ask them if there was a guarantee that came with that cost, that my book would be picked up by a publisher and printed. They said no, because a publisher would then want their own editors to go through it. I always ask these type of question on open forum to show those that would like to become writers, what they are faced with. Playing the Devils Advocate... so to speak.

But this doesn't mean if you have a story that you want to write … WRITE IT! YOU NEVER KNOW. Just be prepared for what you get back. I sent my first novel to 42 agents and got rejections from most of them and several never replied. Some of them wrote things I can't print here. It was a political based novel. This is the one I put in an EBook on Amazon and I think it has sold only 35 copies. I probably couldn't buy a bottle of Crown Royal with the proceeds.

Garry-

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691803
12/13/19 04:12 AM
12/13/19 04:12 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I haven't learned how to get a story on Amazon, or how to issue your own e-books or print-on-demand. I probably should, but I'd rather write than learn that stuff. Meanwhile, I found where Russian pirates had posted a few of my stories on line. Why don't I sue them for infringement, you ask? Ha! Because I'd rather use my time and energy writing. Also, figuring out who they are and getting jurisdiction over them would be a real challenge.

I don't write much profanity, not unless the character I'm writing about uses it. In Stephen King's book, On Writing, he makes a lengthy defense of use of profanity. I didn't some of it. The experience of having kids and now grandkids has pretty much excised profanity from my vocabulary.

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6691972
12/13/19 10:45 AM
12/13/19 10:45 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
It has been several years since I formatted and put my book on Amazon. It took me a while to be able to figure it out, but I understand it is much simpler now Then you had to convert it through a program you had to download. Once it is on Amazon in Ebook format, you can then make arrangement, pay a little money, to have it set up as a print on demand book. That is the route I will probably take with book of poetry.

I personally don't like Stephen King's stories. The only notable author I ever met was Rod Serling. He was giving a mini seminar at some college here in Ohio, I think it was Antioch College. It wasn't open to the public, but very close friend of mine's cousin was the professor of the class. It was in the summer a not many student, so I got to go. After the lecture they had a lunch and I attended that and had an opportunity to talk one on one with him. He was such a cool guy. He was only about 5' 4" or 5" tall. the one thing I remember him really emphasizing was, "Don't ever let anyone tell you your story isn't real enough. Ask yourself, what is real? We really don't know what is real". And as we all know he proved that in his stories.

Garry-

Re: A Writing of Miine.... [Re: Actor] #6692058
12/13/19 12:05 PM
12/13/19 12:05 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
It's really easy to sell books on Amazon, just set up an account and link it to your bank and you're good to go. They send you a payment to your bank account twice a month.

To put an eBook on Kindle is a little more complicated. When I first put my books on Kindle, I paid a company $250 to format the book for amazon with photos, etc. Now Amazon has a tool that converts books to Kindle format by just uploading a Word doc and the photos.

I have written a couple books just for Kindle and I have also combined some past magazine articles into eBooks for kindle but take my word for it don't waste your time. 10 years ago people thought kindle was going to be a big deal but it has never lived up to expectations. Far as I'm concerned Kindle is a failure. Printed books still sell and I believe people will always like to hold a book in their hand so there will always be a place for books. But the reality is that a LOT of people under 40 are getting their information from videos and not reading at all.

I have sold a few fictional stories to magazines and I like writing fiction, but frankly, my bread is buttered by writing hunting, fishing and trapping articles, and how-to articles pay the bills. Plus I can write a fiction story of 2000 words and get $300 for it or in the same amount of time I can write an article about how to kill a big buck in a bedding area and get $750 for it. Not a tough call when you are relying on your writing to pay the mortgage.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread