No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6685980
12/07/19 01:37 PM
12/07/19 01:37 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I believe a past president of them is the main character. He’s kind of like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson in that he has to keep trouble stirred up for his own self relevance. He has a personal vendetta that the entire group is not in favor of but he’s where he can cause trouble now. He has proven he has absolutely no problem lying in the past. I believe he will be his own undoing.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6686022
12/07/19 02:54 PM
12/07/19 02:54 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
It is a sad day for us all when people start paying attention to fools.Don't they understand after us they are next?

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: rex123] #6687701
12/09/19 05:52 AM
12/09/19 05:52 AM
NE North Carolina
V
varmintshooter Offline
trapper
varmintshooter  Offline
trapper
V

NE North Carolina
Coyotes and beaver are your best friends. Farmers, ranchers, sheep, goats, pigs, cattle. Get these folks calling. Even pet owners who lost pets to coyotes.
USDA Wildlife Services can't politic but can give out research information, USDA Ag,

Beaver, timber companies, Soil and water, private timber growers, DOT flooded roads, fields, houses.

You won't have but a handful of trappers, but with these folks you will have hundreds. Most big timber co have their own lobbyist as does many farm and ranching groups.

We went through the same thing several years ago and won. The houndsmen lobbyist even brought in the head of the Humane Society to speak against trapping.

When it directly effects a persons wallet they get interested

Disease, rabies, distemper, rodent population explosions, human attacks.

Protecting other wildlife populations, songbirds, Low ground and ground nesting birds, saving protected habitat, mitigation sites, ground water, runoff, flood control, Fish migrations affected by beaver dams.

Farmers, certified crops, can't have but so much animal waste in a field, crop damage from coons, coyotes, fox, groundhogs, etc.

Let other groups do your work

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: varmintshooter] #6687739
12/09/19 07:32 AM
12/09/19 07:32 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline
trapper
_fletch_  Offline
trapper
_

South Dakota
It's been several years ago now, but my son was a youngster attending the Hunter Safety Course here in Kentucky. I went along, of course. I hadn't been myself in almost three decades, so I was curious as to how it was handled. To my surprise, they even had a trapping segment. I thought it was strange how a particular gentleman that was not one of the volunteer instructors, had a discussion with the one preparing to talk about trapping. This fellow then had a seat at the front of the room. The volunteer began to talk about trapping, and painted a horrible picture of the sport, talking in vivid detail how a Conibear works, what raccoons sometimes do in a foothold, how every animal including coyotes, foxes, and even bobcats will chew (which is an outright lie), and that if you're going to engage in such an endeavor, then you should check your traps 6 or 7 times per day. There was more, but that was the gist of it. I'll never forgive myself for not speaking up at that moment, but I was furious, and was afraid if I lost my temper in front of everyone the discussion would get uncivilized quick, and I would do more harm than good. I kept looking at the horrified looks of the children and the parents in the room, and it was like a bad dream. After he was finished speaking, the man that was seated at the front of the room, got up, shook the instructors' hands, and left. I found out later he was a representative from the KY Houndsmen. I called United Trappers of Kentucky immediately following that class, and they went to work, and I was fielding calls from the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources that next week, who wanted names and details, and who supposedly conducted their own investigation. I was even called at a later date by the head of the Hunting Education training department, an avid trapper, to make sure I was satisfied. I was told the instructors were reprimanded and re-educated, but I'll never know if anything at all ever happened. I've also thought a lot over the years about how many kids' minds were poisoned against our way of life before and after that time. With this proposed legislation I can see now that this plan has been in the works for many years.

Does anyone know how long we have before this goes up for a vote? If this passes, I believe also it is definitely worded where it can be applied to footholds as well. We will become the great cage trapping state of Kentucky.

It blows my mind how ignorant an outdoors group can be to not realize they are in bed with the enemy, and that they are being used as a means to an end. The Anti's will not stop until they have every form of hunting stopped.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6688002
12/09/19 01:56 PM
12/09/19 01:56 PM
KY
P
Pawbracelets7 Offline
trapper
Pawbracelets7  Offline
trapper
P

KY
Here's a little gem for you to ruminate on. Taken straight from the Kentucky Houndsmen Associations Facebook page, October 29, 2019:" Good news!! The proposal to extend the trapping season for furbearers into the month of March has been pulled. This means that although it was PASSED by the KDFW Commissioners, it will not be sent on to the State Rep. Outdoors Committee. I can only assume that they didn't think it would have enough support to be passed out of the Outdoors Committee with their approval. Thank you to the men that attended the Commission meetings in opposition to this proposal, your help and support is much appreciated. UNITED WE STAND, Doug Johnson, President, KY Houndsmen Association."
The extended season was approved for this past March in leu of an extremely rainy winter here. Many landowners, some unable to access parts of their land especially in Western KY, were and are dependent on trappers to remove problem beaver that have flooded farm lanes and fields. Many problem beaver were removed by various trappers, including the United Trappers of KY Beaver Brigade. There were a lot of happy landowners this past spring due to ability of KY trappers solving wildlife problems with equipment that has scientific research support. On the other hand from the KY houndsmen Association website:" WORKING ON YOUR BEHALF" "Houndsmen are the backbone of the hunting industry which is the mainstay of KY economics." Funny considering this group constantly opposes any regulation change that would benefit not only landowners, the general public, but also their selves. From the president: "My philosophy: Work hard to improve the rich heritage we have now, work harder to preserve it for the generations to come and always be a positive influence." Hard to justify being a positive influence when you're working against the farmers that feed everyone. This organization only proves it is self serving and is not for sportsmen, outdoorsmen, or anyone that isn't houndsmen. Your talk talks but your walk talks louder.

Darkness flees in the presence of light. Jesus Christ, lighting the way for over 2000 years.
Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6688155
12/09/19 05:51 PM
12/09/19 05:51 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Well it sounds like the new and old president are of the same material. I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt but he did a 180 after our meeting on the March extension. He agreed with the KDFWR’s suggested extension and everyone left the room thinking that it was a done deal. I believe he was reigned in by the other one. The truth of the matter is that we Trappers requested it be pulled because we did not like the watered down division they had weaseled out. We would not agree that bodygrips are ok in March but footholds and snares weren’t . It may take a few more seasons but this will come back up again when beaver explode. As for the ones that showed up at the commission meeting and stood up straight faced and stated they had treed a sow coon with five kittens in March and that March was the ONLY month they ran their dogs anyone with any common sense can be the judge of that. It is very disheartening trying to work with dishonest people and try to figure out the political angle of simple wildlife management. The whole political angle may be exposed before long to all Kentucky Sportsmen and women.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6690305
12/11/19 06:42 PM
12/11/19 06:42 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
To all of you that have helped on this Thank You. If several of you all across the country have few words to say about how important and necessary for wildlife management traps “ with springs” are it’d be good for her to hear it. She did not come up with this on her own. She is being coached. I believe if she were inundated with emails she may do a little thinking about it. So far she has not replied to our request to discuss it. Here’s her contact info.

https://legislature.ky.gov/Legislators/Pages/Legislator-Profile.aspx?DistrictNumber=136

Last edited by kytrapper; 12/11/19 07:03 PM. Reason: Added link
Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6690329
12/11/19 07:03 PM
12/11/19 07:03 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Here's a little gem for you to ruminate on. Taken straight from the Kentucky Houndsmen Associations Facebook page, October 29, 2019:" Good news!! The proposal to extend the trapping season for furbearers into the month of March has been pulled

This shows you how untruthful they are. The proposal was for water sets only. Not all furbearers. We also discussed at the sit down with them and KDFWR an extended check for lethal water sets similar to neighboring Tennessee, which they did not have much of a problem with. Well, before you know it they were telling their membership we were wanting a three day check for all land sets. The guys that showed up at the commission had bought into that lie because the big cheese said so. How do You deal with people like that? There’s just a handful of bad eggs in their leadership. I believe many hound hunters don’t know how they are. I do know some do though. I’ve had discussions with a few of them that are reasonable and they’ve given me a heads up on what they’re up to.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6690825
12/12/19 08:19 AM
12/12/19 08:19 AM
KY
P
Pawbracelets7 Offline
trapper
Pawbracelets7  Offline
trapper
P

KY
Thanks to you Steve. KY trappers owe a lot to guys like Chet and you. Most good things are accomplished by folks behind the scenes, working their tails off, that others never hear or know about. Every end of the season barn picture and every fur check, you guys play an important part. Without the sacrifice of personal time and energy a lot of KY men, women, boys , and girls wouldn't get to enjoy some of the great trapping experiences we have here in KY. We still have some antiquated regulations here, but through your efforts we have left many behind us. Most of the ones left, to my understanding are the result of political compensation and posturing, not actual wildlife management related. Lets hope this current situation can be an inspiration for other trappers in KY to pick up their own cause and get these regulations changed for the betterment of trappers in our state. Again thank you for all you've done for trappers in KY. We're the better for people like you.

Darkness flees in the presence of light. Jesus Christ, lighting the way for over 2000 years.
Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6691177
12/12/19 02:49 PM
12/12/19 02:49 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6695907
12/17/19 06:48 AM
12/17/19 06:48 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Thank you to all that have taken a few minutes to help us on this. She, as far as I know, has replied to no one on this. If you can find time before Jan. 5 to voice your support we’d appreciate it.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: kytrapper] #6699401
12/19/19 10:47 PM
12/19/19 10:47 PM
E.C.Iowa
Z
Zookeeper Offline
trapper
Zookeeper  Offline
trapper
Z

E.C.Iowa
Even though I am not currently a resident, I did just send Julie Adams an e-mail asking her to get correct info before proposing a bill, as she was definitely misled on this topic.

Zookeeper

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6699567
12/20/19 06:50 AM
12/20/19 06:50 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Thank you sir. She was definitely fed untrue and misleading information. She probably knows that by now with everyone’s help on this.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6707610
12/27/19 02:50 PM
12/27/19 02:50 PM
kentucky
K
kybeaverman Offline
trapper
kybeaverman  Offline
trapper
K

kentucky

I think this is sponsored and co-sponsored by republicans. It doesn't matter if they are democrats, republicans or independents; if they are opposed to trapping, they are opposing our rights.
Please contact your legislators!

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: kybeaverman] #6708885
12/28/19 07:17 PM
12/28/19 07:17 PM
Henderson, KY
jzahntrapper Offline
trapper
jzahntrapper  Offline
trapper

Henderson, KY
is bill 492 just about body grips or all traps

Trap or Die!
Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6709011
12/28/19 09:00 PM
12/28/19 09:00 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
It is poorly, loosely worded and could certainly be interpreted as all traps. The wordage is largely copied from anti web propaganda because the guy that came up with it is really ignorant about trapping. The homegrown antis attempted to divide and conquer on the March season by separating bodygrips and footholds as being “ acceptable”. We were trying to help farmers, landowners and county road officials with problem beaver by asking to extend it a month. When they attempted to limit our traps We said forget it and asked it be pulled. There is no more of a “problem” with footholds in an extended March water trapping only season than there is during the regular season going on right now. We will not allow them to start picking our equipment apart. Ive seen this in other states. Death by a thousand cuts.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: kytrapper] #6709082
12/28/19 09:49 PM
12/28/19 09:49 PM
Henderson, KY
jzahntrapper Offline
trapper
jzahntrapper  Offline
trapper

Henderson, KY
yes it is hard to understand by the wording

Trap or Die!
Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6714525
01/02/20 09:01 PM
01/02/20 09:01 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Thanks to everyone. Something may happen next week and I’ll let everyone know.

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: Donnie Shafer] #6719616
01/07/20 05:08 PM
01/07/20 05:08 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Great news! She pulled the bill today. Thanks to all that helped

Re: Anti Trapping legislation in Kentucky [Re: kytrapper] #6720562
01/08/20 02:48 AM
01/08/20 02:48 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline
trapper
_fletch_  Offline
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted by kytrapper
Great news! She pulled the bill today. Thanks to all that helped

That's awesome!!! So, that's it for this round? Do you feel like they were just testing the waters and a new amended one will be forthcoming? I know personally I'm not okay giving up anymore ground but they always chip away slowly, starting with the usage of conibears on public land.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread