No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707849
12/27/19 08:32 PM
12/27/19 08:32 PM
South Dakota
M
M.S. Pickins Offline
trapper
M.S. Pickins  Offline
trapper
M

South Dakota
We are going to regulate ourselves into complete slavery. Both Republicans and Democrats have their own special lists of things that "need to be banned."

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707859
12/27/19 08:48 PM
Omro, Wisconsin
C
Cooncuff Offline
trapper
Cooncuff  Offline
trapper
C

Omro, Wisconsin
I am probably in the minority but, I feel if you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you:re old enough for all of it. I find it ironic that society is wasting all this money on trying to stop smoking/ vaping on one hand and then turning around and spending all this time and money trying to legalize marijuana. Individual freedom of choice, you can't smoke i a resturant but you can in a bar, etc.

In youth we learn, In age we Understand.
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: Matt28] #6707860
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Originally Posted by Matt28
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Boys, your Savior Donald J. Trump signed the bill. Big time protector of liberty....

He will do something on guns before November. Remember you heard it here.

It's sad when the people that claim to be conservative cry as much as the Democrats. Hope we get trump another term just to hear you cry some more.

This conservative didn't sign a bill that infringes on freedom AND that gives the feds a blank hot check.

What's really sad is that the only conservatives left are the ones that oppose your Savior.

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707863
12/27/19 08:55 PM
12/27/19 08:55 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
The US has many social programs designed to provide protection to its citizens on a shared cost concept. Medicare and Social Security are probably the best known but we have hundreds of programs designed this way. Farm programs, National Flood insurance, veterans programs, welfare, food stamps, the list goes on and on.

Health Insurance used to be medically underwritten. Pre-existing conditions would drive up the cost to an applicant. Tobacco use carried a heavy premium. If you were a recreational pilot, a scuba diver, a skydiver, similar levies were applied to health and life premiums. Even your occupation mattered. Your race mattered.

Since Obama reformed our health insurance industry, ratings are mostly a thing of the past. This means non smokers are subsidizing health and Medicare benefits of smokers by paying the same premiums. That is a heavy financial burden. Non smokers are subsidizing the extra healthcare, disability, loss of work, home fires, and increased mortality of smokers. My wife has a relative that dropped out of high school because he could not sit in class without a cigarette. He is now a burden on society. Say thank you, if you use tobacco.

Unfortunately we cannot stay out of everyone’s business because not everyone we are caring for is making good decisions and I doubt our laws will regress a 100 years. It is who we are as a nation. We take care of each other. We defend each other. We lend to each other, and we insure each other, even tobacco users.

Last edited by charles; 12/27/19 08:59 PM.
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707869
12/27/19 09:03 PM
12/27/19 09:03 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Originally Posted by corky
The Feds just raised the age to purchase tobacco and vaping products to 21 from 18. I'm 68 and never smoked so this has no effect on me but I'm curious how others view it.
You can drive a car at 16. Join the military and marry at 18. Get free condoms and abortions without parental consent in high school. Vote at 18 with some wanting to change the age to 16. Buy alcohol at 21. Stay on your parent's health insurance until 26. At what age does the government believe a person is capable of making a mature decision and should the government even make the determination? I'm sure I'm not the only person confused by this.

That's a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) good question, I mean - if you can join the U.S. Army at age 18 and go on to become a Ranger..... I mean - are they going to raise the age one can enlist - or be drafted ??
To me, by raising the age to smoke or vape [neither of which I do or ever did], along with the 21 drinking age - all that does is encourage kids to start doing illegal things that much sooner.
It's a bad situation - like - lets make owning guns illegal, so only the bad guys have 'em.....

Makes me really wonder just how free of a society we still are today.

But I get it - you have all these mush heads in their late 20s, early 30s who still ain't gotta a clue while when I turned 18 [1983...] it was expected of me to become a productive member of society and support myself a.s.a.p. and know my career path.

Today... ha ha the kids ain't got a clue, but that I blame their parents for..............

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: Cooncuff] #6707895
12/27/19 09:21 PM
12/27/19 09:21 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Cooncuff
I am probably in the minority but, I feel if you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you:re old enough for all of it. I find it ironic that society is wasting all this money on trying to stop smoking/ vaping on one hand and then turning around and spending all this time and money trying to legalize marijuana. Individual freedom of choice, you can't smoke i a resturant but you can in a bar, etc.

Yup. Same here.

Soon tobacco will be near illegal and marijuana will either be legal de jure or de facto.

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707904
12/27/19 09:26 PM
12/27/19 09:26 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Yep and that's where the left wants ya. Just sit back, puff puff pass, and we'll take care of ya. Academia is their buddy. There's gonna be a lot of people, some on here, that are gonna wake up one morning and say oh (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), what just happened. I don't have any Freedom now. Well hello there.....

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707918
12/27/19 09:37 PM
12/27/19 09:37 PM
Livingston, Texas
S
Sheepdog1 Offline
trapper
Sheepdog1  Offline
trapper
S

Livingston, Texas
Texas raised it to 21 except for active military. I haven't talked to a single Officer that will enforce this if they are 18 or over. Darn prosecutors need to start hammering career offenders and dont need to be overwhelmed with such trivial crap. They cant even prosecute the voluminous felonies we get within a timely manner so this was a waste of ink and paper not to mention the time to write such asinine legislation. I dont use tobacco products and dont want them around me but for goodness sake get the hec to work on something that will actually make a difference in this screwed up state and country.

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707919
12/27/19 09:38 PM
12/27/19 09:38 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Charles, I agree 100%.

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: tomahawker] #6707922
12/27/19 09:41 PM
12/27/19 09:41 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by tomahawker
Why do we have speed limits. Because it benefits society. Why do we penalize speeders when they are caught. Because it benefits society.

Why are our vehicles registered for 120mph? The fastest you can go legally is 80mph?

"In 1995 the Republican Congress repealed the 55-mile-per-hour federal speed limit law. At the time, the highway safety lobby and consumer advocacy groups made apocalyptic predictions about 6,400 increased deaths and a million additional injuries if posted speed limits were raised. Ralph Nader even said that "history will never forgive Congress for this assault on the sanctity of human life."
But almost all measures of highway safety show improvement, not more deaths and injuries since 1995. Despite the fact that 33 states raised their speed limits immediately after the repeal of the mandatory federal speed limit, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported last October that "the traffic death rate dropped to a record low level in 1997." Moreover, the average fatality rate even fell in the states that raised their speed limits.
Higher speed limits have not caused one million more auto injuries. In fact, in 1997 there were 66,000 fewer road injuries than in 1995, the year before the speed limits were raised. The injury rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled fell to its lowest level ever recorded in 1997. If the injury rate on the roads had been as high in 1997 as it had been in 1995, approximately 17,000 more Americans would have been injured on the roads.
All of the evidence thus far indicates that Americans have not responded to higher speed limits by converting the highways into stretches of the Indianapolis 500. Any loss of life has been very minimal--and at most a tiny fraction of what had been predicted by the safety lobby. Meanwhile, Americans have saved some 200 million manhours in terms of less time spent on the road. The net economic benefit of raising the speed limit has been between $2 and $3 billion a year. "

Who is John Galt?
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: Big George W] #6707925
12/27/19 09:43 PM
12/27/19 09:43 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Big George W
Originally Posted by corky
The Feds just raised the age to purchase tobacco and vaping products to 21 from 18. I'm 68 and never smoked so this has no effect on me but I'm curious how others view it.
You can drive a car at 16. Join the military and marry at 18. Get free condoms and abortions without parental consent in high school. Vote at 18 with some wanting to change the age to 16. Buy alcohol at 21. Stay on your parent's health insurance until 26. At what age does the government believe a person is capable of making a mature decision and should the government even make the determination? I'm sure I'm not the only person confused by this.

That's a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) good question, I mean - if you can join the U.S. Army at age 18 and go on to become a Ranger..... I mean - are they going to raise the age one can enlist - or be drafted ??
To me, by raising the age to smoke or vape [neither of which I do or ever did], along with the 21 drinking age - all that does is encourage kids to start doing illegal things that much sooner.
It's a bad situation - like - lets make owning guns illegal, so only the bad guys have 'em.....

Makes me really wonder just how free of a society we still are today.

But I get it - you have all these mush heads in their late 20s, early 30s who still ain't gotta a clue while when I turned 18 [1983...] it was expected of me to become a productive member of society and support myself a.s.a.p. and know my career path.

Today... ha ha the kids ain't got a clue, but that I blame their parents for..............

Never mind being a Ranger... I guarantee there is some 19 y.o. kid doing a rotation in a Minuteman silo who we trust to turn his key if ordered to do so.

"Hey kid, we trust you with thermonuclear weapons... But Marlboros are above your clearance."

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707935
12/27/19 09:51 PM
12/27/19 09:51 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Speed limit got changed in the 80's not the 90's. It passed on a Friday. I was hauling a load to Denver out of SOCAL. Highway workers in NM were changing signs on Sunday in a snow squall. Monday they started changing signs to 65 in CO. (65 was max at first) CO local tv news that night was saying CO was the first to change the speed limit. They were not. NM had been changing signs over the weekend. Believe it or not both states were still very republican and pro gun.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: danny clifton] #6707943
12/27/19 09:59 PM
12/27/19 09:59 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Speed limit got changed in the 80's not the 90's. It passed on a Friday. I was hauling a load to Denver out of SOCAL. Highway workers in NM were changing signs on Sunday in a snow squall. Monday they started changing signs to 65 in CO. (65 was max at first) CO local tv news that night was saying CO was the first to change the speed limit. They were not. NM had been changing signs over the weekend. Believe it or not both states were still very republican and pro gun.

First '87 raised some, then '95 eliminated the Federal mandate.

"Congress passed the 55 mph speed limit law in 1973 to save gasoline during the Arab oil embargo. In 1987, Congress raised the speed limit to 65 mph on rural interstates.< "

Last edited by Dirt; 12/27/19 10:01 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707949
12/27/19 10:01 PM
12/27/19 10:01 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Breaker breaker 19, I'm lookin for the Rubberduck, come back. Rubberduck, you got your ears on, come back. grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6707961
12/27/19 10:12 PM
12/27/19 10:12 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
before cell phones cb was a very important tool. Break down you could holler at the next truck and get a ride to a pay phone or maybe borrow a tool you needed to get rolling. Law enforcement monitored channel 9. those old 23 channel radios were legal at twice the output of cb sold today. highway patrolman also monitered 19 in their cars. They literally saved lives. People were a lot politer back then. Wasn't all that incredibly filthy and or rude talk on them like today. Get a flat on a trailer or a brake light quit working or something another driver would tell you about it. They really were a good tool.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: danny clifton] #6707970
12/27/19 10:18 PM
12/27/19 10:18 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by danny clifton
before cell phones cb was a very important tool. Break down you could holler at the next truck and get a ride to a pay phone or maybe borrow a tool you needed to get rolling. Law enforcement monitored channel 9. those old 23 channel radios were legal at twice the output of cb sold today. highway patrolman also monitered 19 in their cars. They literally saved lives. People were a lot politer back then. Wasn't all that incredibly filthy and or rude talk on them like today. Get a flat on a trailer or a brake light quit working or something another driver would tell you about it. They really were a good tool.

Yes indeed danny. Another example of good days past!

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6708028
12/27/19 11:17 PM
12/27/19 11:17 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
When the speed limit was dropped to 55, a casket maker in Fabien TX went out of business. Now we have much safer automobiles with multiple airbags and crumple technology. Highways are safer also.

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: ] #6708332
12/28/19 09:54 AM
12/28/19 09:54 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
A fella can't buy a can of spray paint at Walmart if you're under 18 . That stops graffiti from being painted on concrete bridges.

All that graffiti is being done after they shop lift all that spray paint, so the rest of use pay for it in the end when the stores raise the price to cover the loss involved.

The spray paint thing isn't just about Graffiti I thought that too until I went to a medical call where the person still had paint around his nostiles from huffing that crap..
Took two young men off a ledge on the bluff in the dark of night nice 70-80ft drop half step away... Half dozen cans of spray paint and jar of pot they thought was nice place to get high.. Truth told could have had to pick them up in a bag at the bottom of hill..
Thing is age 18 for the paint or pot really wouldn't made no difference they just by can whipped cream. They were going there to get high could have easily culled them selfies from world....
What the government really needs to regulate is regulators...
I'd just like to buy a new gas can I can actually pour from.. Or pour the pee out of my boot when I get to drunk on moonshine wet myself. Not get a ticket for illegal dumping of waste.
It's all way gotten out of hand what others can tell others to do...

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: corky] #6708481
12/28/19 12:52 PM
12/28/19 12:52 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I had no trouble buying cigarettes between 13-18 years old, still remember all the main brand ad slogans on TV, I was a Marlboro man! Over 2 packs a day before I was 17, quit at 18, October 10-1975, still 45 cents a pack then, 4.00 cartons, now they are 6.50 -9.00$ a pack!!!!
Thank the Lord I quit, I'd be dead by now

Re: Age to buy tobacco raised [Re: charles] #6708493
12/28/19 01:06 PM
12/28/19 01:06 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by charles
When the speed limit was dropped to 55, a casket maker in Fabien TX went out of business. Now we have much safer automobiles with multiple airbags and crumple technology. Highways are safer also.

So an 18 year old kid can't be trusted to choose whether or not to smoke... But at 16 we trust them with a cell phone and a 3000 lb car?

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread