No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please #6708441
12/28/19 12:04 PM
12/28/19 12:04 PM
Oregom
W
Wayofthewoodsman Offline OP
trapper
Wayofthewoodsman  Offline OP
trapper
W

Oregom
I joined this forum months ago and all you guys were very helpful in getting me setup to do "boomer" trapping in the Pacific Northwest and I have been successfully trapping those for anout 8 months now. Now I have the opportunity to trap some real Beavers. In trapping boomers I only have Conibear 110's so I know I will need new traps, can you guys recommend a good all around setup to get me going? I will try attaching some pics later of the area I am going to be trapping... maybe it will help you give me some tips on traps and methods. Thanks.

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708557
12/28/19 02:10 PM
12/28/19 02:10 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
There is a lot of useful information in the Water Trapping Archive- https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/10/1/water-trapping-archive.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708598
12/28/19 02:44 PM
12/28/19 02:44 PM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Originally Posted by Wayofthewoodsman
I joined this forum months ago and all you guys were very helpful in getting me setup to do "boomer" trapping in the Pacific Northwest and I have been successfully trapping those for anout 8 months now. Now I have the opportunity to trap some real Beavers. In trapping boomers I only have Conibear 110's so I know I will need new traps, can you guys recommend a good all around setup to get me going? I will try attaching some pics later of the area I am going to be trapping... maybe it will help you give me some tips on traps and methods. Thanks.

Not trying to be a dream killer here... Please answer a couple of questions for me... This beaver opportunity that you are being afforded to trap...

Are you being Compensated to trap said Beavers??

Are you asking Trappers that have educated themselves either by experience or instruction (often requiring cash payment) Provide you with an education that you have not earned or paid for??

You got a free education about the Boomer trapping....

I'm thinking you Might have to expend a bit of time and energy to learn the Beaver trade.

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708631
12/28/19 03:10 PM
12/28/19 03:10 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Being from the SE...what’s a “boomer”???

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708642
12/28/19 03:18 PM
12/28/19 03:18 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Ask any questions you like.The first thing you need to do is go over the regs in your area to find out if you have any restrictions on setting for beaver.Beaver traps are large and some places have restrictions on where you can set large powerful traps for safety reasons as well as to protect the industry.
taking a comprehensive trappers education course and learning the accompanying trapping manual will be your best first step.It should cover all the legal stuff as well as trapping methods for each species as well as basic biology and management.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wanna Be] #6708769
12/28/19 05:25 PM
12/28/19 05:25 PM
Ridgefield, WA
B
Bearguy Offline
trapper
Bearguy  Offline
trapper
B

Ridgefield, WA
WannaBe,, what's a boomer, there is a post up now, "Boomers in Oregon". Check it out.

All you "Woke" people need to go back to sleep!
Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708774
12/28/19 05:28 PM
12/28/19 05:28 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
Find a narrow spot and put in a submerged 330 hanging from a dead dive stick through the spring loops. That’s how most guy got their starts.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708784
12/28/19 05:35 PM
12/28/19 05:35 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Horn, back when I got started (70's) trappers were pretty conservative about helping new guys. Things have changed, some of us old hands like helping new guys, and a heartfelt thanks is payment enough. (Well, I'm open to a 6 pack from time to time too)!

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6708894
12/28/19 07:22 PM
12/28/19 07:22 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
who is mentoring you locally?
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. Then contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. Learn the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: beaverpeeler] #6709084
12/28/19 09:50 PM
12/28/19 09:50 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I agree Beaverpeeler.You can help people with some basic knowledge and still keep some of your best stuff secret.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: LAtrapper] #6709139
12/28/19 10:22 PM
12/28/19 10:22 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by LAtrapper
There is a lot of useful information in the Water Trapping Archive- https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/10/1/water-trapping-archive.

Thank you!

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Mike Cope] #6709146
12/28/19 10:28 PM
12/28/19 10:28 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by Horn
Originally Posted by Wayofthewoodsman

Not trying to be a dream killer here... Please answer a couple of questions for me... This beaver opportunity that you are being afforded to trap...

Are you being Compensated to trap said Beavers??

Are you asking Trappers that have educated themselves either by experience or instruction (often requiring cash payment) Provide you with an education that you have not earned or paid for??

You got a free education about the Boomer trapping....

I'm thinking you Might have to expend a bit of time and energy to learn the Beaver trade.

Sorry, I guess you misunderstood... I am not looking for free education nor did I get a free education before but I did receive some helpful tips from experienced trappers who pointed me in the right direction. I am not getting paid for this job, although I am a wildlife control operator in my state... because of my lack of experience with beavers I agreed to do it for free. Thanks for the response anyways.

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Boco] #6709151
12/28/19 10:31 PM
12/28/19 10:31 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by Boco
Ask any questions you like.The first thing you need to do is go over the regs in your area to find out if you have any restrictions on setting for beaver.Beaver traps are large and some places have restrictions on where you can set large powerful traps for safety reasons as well as to protect the industry.
taking a comprehensive trappers education course and learning the accompanying trapping manual will be your best first step.It should cover all the legal stuff as well as trapping methods for each species as well as basic biology and management.

Thanks, I am familiar with the regulations. I guess was just looking on some tips on how many and what traps would be my best investment to start with. Thank you for the input!

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: ] #6709154
12/28/19 10:33 PM
12/28/19 10:33 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
You have a different set of rules than I do as a trapper, I suggest you read through your manuel.
And post on the (ADC) form probably get more info there.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you! I do have this manual and am a wildlife control operator in the state.... just happens to be my first beaver job.

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6709157
12/28/19 10:34 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
I can't help with beavers but ask away for a free education. Trapper numbers are dwindling so help your fellow man.

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Law Dog] #6709158
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Find a narrow spot and put in a submerged 330 hanging from a dead dive stick through the spring loops. That’s how most guy got their starts.

Thank you, that is very useful. Do you think a few spots like this would be good or do I need more than 3 or 4 330s in your opinion to get going?

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: beaverpeeler] #6709160
12/28/19 10:37 PM
12/28/19 10:37 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Horn, back when I got started (70's) trappers were pretty conservative about helping new guys. Things have changed, some of us old hands like helping new guys, and a heartfelt thanks is payment enough. (Well, I'm open to a 6 pack from time to time too)!

I appreciate the helpful attitude and if you were close by I would be happy to treat you to a six pack!

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6709165
12/28/19 10:40 PM
12/28/19 10:40 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by traprjohn
who is mentoring you locally?
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. Then contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. Learn the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

Thank you so much for the insight. I do not have a mentor locally unfortunately. Been figuring things out on my own for the most part but have received some good advice here. Thanks for taking the time to respond... I really appreciate it!

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6709415
12/29/19 07:48 AM
12/29/19 07:48 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
what law dog said fine a spot were they are come out to eat on trees , there should be a channel there maybe two or three of them ,walk around the dam an see if they are crossing over any where ,

Re: First Beaver Trapping Job... Some Guidance Please [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6709467
12/29/19 09:08 AM
12/29/19 09:08 AM
Oregon
G
Goonie Offline
trapper
Goonie  Offline
trapper
G

Oregon
You could YouTube beaver trapping. You can learn all you need. Plus some help from this site like Turkeytime said. Learning something new and finally being successful makes you feel good. You will get them. YouTube! Where do you live in Oregon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread