No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Mercola needs to understand conservation #6711661
12/31/19 09:21 AM
12/31/19 09:21 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Hmmmm this piece from Mercola seems irresponsible.

I don't think "sin of omission" while spinning-hard-to-the-left from someone with such a large following is acceptable in this current social climate.

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/MERCOLA-writes-Anti-Conservation-Article

Even the "possum eating ticks" as modus operandi was WRONG. Geri Ann Albers if I remembered correctly said this was bunk on the Trap House podcast. And that was the smallest of their errors.

Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nyhuntfish] #6711980
12/31/19 01:50 PM
12/31/19 01:50 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
What's a "Mercola"?

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nyhuntfish] #6712082
12/31/19 03:48 PM
12/31/19 03:48 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
If I was getting 40% non target catches in snares I would quit trapping because it would be more trouble then it’s worth.

Truth is articles like this that use a reasoned argument are more dangerous to the future of trapping then ones that come right out and slams down on it even if their arguments are largely wrong or unreasonable or based on misinformation simply because most people have no real concept of how animals behave or live and survive in the wild and they want to be seen as caring and sensitive to animals and their wellbeing

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nyhuntfish] #6712095
12/31/19 04:09 PM
12/31/19 04:09 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
That's great! Tell that (I'm going to censor myself) -to get to Iraq where my kid is, pick up a rifle and shoot back.

I shouldn't post this. But I will. Happy New Year to all. God Bless our Troops, God speed, get home soon.

jim
Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nightlife] #6712200
12/31/19 05:49 PM
12/31/19 05:49 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Originally Posted by nightlife
If I was getting 40% non target catches in snares I would quit trapping because it would be more trouble then it’s worth.

Truth is articles like this that use a reasoned argument are more dangerous to the future of trapping then ones that come right out and slams down on it even if their arguments are largely wrong or unreasonable or based on misinformation simply because most people have no real concept of how animals behave or live and survive in the wild and they want to be seen as caring and sensitive to animals and their wellbeing

Exactly.

It's a recipe for a disinformation piece whether she was cognizant of that or not. Every little true-section buffered by a "why trapping is bad" statement.

Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: BigBob] #6712202
12/31/19 05:51 PM
12/31/19 05:51 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Originally Posted by BigBob
What's a "Mercola"?

A health doctor (MD I'm not sure) that gets a ton of press and people listen to, whether they should, should-not, or partially-should.

Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nyhuntfish] #6712214
12/31/19 06:00 PM
12/31/19 06:00 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Hate to hurt their feelings, but most animals caught in the traps are caught for a reason...to be killed. Heck, according to the article they are doing surgery on mice caught in traps! I’m not catching that mouse to talk to it...I’m gonna kill it when I catch it.
And as far as non-targets, all my sets are what I think are coyote sets. I catch way more cats, coons, and possums in them than I do coyotes. So technically they aren’t targeted in those traps. And if they are referring to what I call incidentals, then someone is trapping in a neighborhood or an area where a bunch of animals have been dumped and become feral.

Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: BigBob] #6712394
12/31/19 08:33 PM
12/31/19 08:33 PM
eastern washington
B
BillyTraps Offline
trapper
BillyTraps  Offline
trapper
B

eastern washington

Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: Wanna Be] #6712491
12/31/19 09:55 PM
12/31/19 09:55 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Hate to hurt their feelings, but most animals caught in the traps are caught for a reason...to be killed. Heck, according to the article they are doing surgery on mice caught in traps! I’m not catching that mouse to talk to it...I’m gonna kill it when I catch it.
And as far as non-targets, all my sets are what I think are coyote sets. I catch way more cats, coons, and possums in them than I do coyotes. So technically they aren’t targeted in those traps. And if they are referring to what I call incidentals, then someone is trapping in a neighborhood or an area where a bunch of animals have been dumped and become feral.

Exactly and that’s what makes it so effective and dangerous to trapping and consumptive use of wildlife no matter if it is trapping, hunting or fishing each and every one of them is on the list to be stopped, but trapping is first because it’s a easier target then hunting and finally fishing and then no doubt they will go after animal farming and raising and I bet the keeping of pets is last except for a blessed few that make the cut of being the right kind of people to do so

But I bet even them will loose that in the end if the animal rights people have there final say

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nyhuntfish] #6712501
12/31/19 10:02 PM
12/31/19 10:02 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Who runs that Trappers Report ??

Mean As Nails
Re: Mercola needs to understand conservation [Re: nyhuntfish] #6712502
12/31/19 10:03 PM
12/31/19 10:03 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Someone saw a pic of a bobcat I caught and stated if someone from peta saw it they would probably harass me for the rest of my life. My reply, If I release a bobcat in their residence or business they are going to do one of two things...call a trapper or kill it. And they are against both!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread