No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: CDL question [Re: 20scout] #6718712
01/06/20 07:35 PM
01/06/20 07:35 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by 20scout
I drove OTR for several years and came across a number of drivers who I couldn't understand how they held a CDL. Two where deaf, one with a prosthetic leg, one with a heat condition and several who used C pap's. I quit driving when I was diagnosed with MS but discovered I could get a medical card by getting it from a chiropractor. Bottom line is if you are willing to take a chance, then have at it. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

No I get it!

I'm just looking at the guy and what he is. This guy can drive this thing backwards in his sleep. While I've had about 30 others apply with both eyes that couldn't back it out of my drive way!
He drives farm equipment all day.

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6718723
01/06/20 07:51 PM
01/06/20 07:51 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by brianmall
Originally Posted by 20scout
I drove OTR for several years and came across a number of drivers who I couldn't understand how they held a CDL. Two where deaf, one with a prosthetic leg, one with a heat condition and several who used C pap's. I quit driving when I was diagnosed with MS but discovered I could get a medical card by getting it from a chiropractor. Bottom line is if you are willing to take a chance, then have at it. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

No I get it!

I'm just looking at the guy and what he is. This guy can drive this thing backwards in his sleep. While I've had about 30 others apply with both eyes that couldn't back it out of my drive way!
He drives farm equipment all day.

It's a shame not to be able to have talent like that on your team due to a disability even though it doesn't slow them down any.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6718730
01/06/20 08:01 PM
01/06/20 08:01 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
No

I'm saying the guys with both eyes are more of a liability!

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6718816
01/06/20 09:29 PM
01/06/20 09:29 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Ah! Agree!

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6718868
01/06/20 10:10 PM
01/06/20 10:10 PM
MN
O
oneeyedtrapper Offline
trapper
oneeyedtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

MN
That sucks! It must vary between states as I was able to get mine in Minnesota. It's good for intrastate but not interstate driving.

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6720699
01/08/20 08:59 AM
01/08/20 08:59 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
o have lots of respect for truckers, but a lot of these new or young guys have no business driving truck. some i wouldnt want driving a pickup with a small stock trailer. i had one guy that needed a spotter for backing, not a bad idea but it was a straight in backing with about a 40 yd gap and he was still afraid of hitting something. im thinking the look on my face said he should look for a different profession

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6720718
01/08/20 09:17 AM
01/08/20 09:17 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
In the modern world the freight company has control of everything their driver does. The electronic log tells them how much he is driving. The gps tells them where he is at. The in cab camera shows them what he is doing. His credit card is only good for what is preselected at which fuel stop. The card will not work at a fuel stop the trip planner did not enter into the drivers computer.

The days of the driver having to pick routes, when to work, where to buy fuel etc are gone. So the guy that had the right mind set to be a driver 40 years ago won't stick around too long in today's environment. They get disgusted pretty quick when told to spend the night at a pilot truck stop with inadequate parking and a mcdonalds instead of a restaurant. Pilot doesn't care what the driver thinks as they are not who pilot markets too. Then on top of all that these big freight companies don't pay their drivers enough that they can afford to eat real food in a restaurant anyway. They buy 12 volt coolers, plug them into a cigarette lighter, and live on bologna sandwich's and cold cereal.

The result is a bunch of guys that would not make a pimple on a truck drivers hiney.

If you have a family stay away from OTR trucking. The demand for drivers is so great because of how sorry the profession has gotten.

A single guy, can still save money. Live in the truck, use mom for a mailing address. You better be the kind of guy that can put up with unimaginable b.s. from the company as well as truck enforcement cops.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: CDL question [Re: danny clifton] #6720927
01/08/20 11:57 AM
01/08/20 11:57 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by danny clifton
In the modern world the freight company has control of everything their driver does. The electronic log tells them how much he is driving. The gps tells them where he is at. The in cab camera shows them what he is doing. His credit card is only good for what is preselected at which fuel stop. The card will not work at a fuel stop the trip planner did not enter into the drivers computer.

The days of the driver having to pick routes, when to work, where to buy fuel etc are gone. So the guy that had the right mind set to be a driver 40 years ago won't stick around too long in today's environment. They get disgusted pretty quick when told to spend the night at a pilot truck stop with inadequate parking and a mcdonalds instead of a restaurant. Pilot doesn't care what the driver thinks as they are not who pilot markets too. Then on top of all that these big freight companies don't pay their drivers enough that they can afford to eat real food in a restaurant anyway. They buy 12 volt coolers, plug them into a cigarette lighter, and live on bologna sandwich's and cold cereal.

The result is a bunch of guys that would not make a pimple on a truck drivers hiney.

If you have a family stay away from OTR trucking. The demand for drivers is so great because of how sorry the profession has gotten.

A single guy, can still save money. Live in the truck, use mom for a mailing address. You better be the kind of guy that can put up with unimaginable b.s. from the company as well as truck enforcement cops.

AMEN!!

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6720974
01/08/20 12:43 PM
01/08/20 12:43 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
It is up to the medical examiner in this state if they want to give an exception for vision for intrastate the dot will honor it. Call a doctor that does cdl exams in your state and ask them, if they are certified to do the exam they will know the rules in your state.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: CDL question [Re: brianmall] #6721122
01/08/20 02:52 PM
01/08/20 02:52 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
It used to be that most truckers were polite and courteous, but the new generation likes to drive with their bright lights on , and just in general don't care like the old guys did. Like you say, it's usually a rag head or some other Immigrant that just don't care if he whizzes anyone. Ain't at all like it used to be!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread