ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
In town coyotes #6715760
01/03/20 11:04 PM
01/03/20 11:04 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Anyone got any advice on how to catch in town coyotes? This pair of coyotes has been seen daily in the same area and I'm thinking they're going to raise a litter in the area. Residents have already complained of missing cats. The location is on top of a rocky ridge. The area also has a small group of does living there and lots of squirrels. All the neighbors are in agreement that they need to go. Not all property owners have been contacted yet. Currently I have a large cage trap (24"X24"X 60") brushed in with beaver meat as bait. First night I caught the cat of people who hired me. I'm not going to comment that except to say, what the....? Figure to leave the cage there at least a week before trying something else if it doesn't work. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6716411
01/04/20 02:07 PM
01/04/20 02:07 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
What kind of metro are you trapping in? I do not want the answer but Chauncey is smallville, so I would talk to the village cop, and inform him what you were doing and what I would do is set up, on land I had permission outside the city limits and shoot the b*tch and hope I would get the old boy in a second shot, as the chances of luring a coyote into a small cage is like the lottery. Twilight calling when they get vocal.
Your best bet is away from town, meaning dogs and cats, on land you can work. Ohio has legal snares so I would go that route on a travel lane.

You are almost getting into season there for denning, and as their food source is the town, they are going to be close. Locate them by howling or if you have a fur dog. Get the yotes whelped, set up with a pup in distress and they get aggressive around the den and will come in.

Jobs in town are nightmares, as there are always the accidental catch in a foot hold, or a nut who will find out, start stalking you, calling the police on you, and helping the coyotes.

I hope you catch them in your live trap, but without live bait, which is illegal in most locations, all you do is check traps. So while your cage trap is catching cats, I would get my binos and sit where people said they saw the yotes, find where they are moving and create the plan from that. At dusk you can park on a road outside of town and listen for them to tune up, (no calling), as they usually get vocal close to their bedding area. Coyotes make a great deal of noise as their voices travel great distances which tells other coyotes to stay out of the area.

I think your education will be to not take coyotes jobs in town, in it costs clients more than they are willing to pay, and it is humiliating to have them wondering why you can not catch them.

As I said, I hope that you catch them easy, but I do not know anyone who has it easy when it comes to coyotes.

Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6716779
01/04/20 08:58 PM
01/04/20 08:58 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I don't enjoy trapping a specific coyote when I am in the middle of nowhere. You can't find anyone to pay what it takes to catch it unless the coyote is killing livestock.

Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6718149
01/06/20 01:11 AM
01/06/20 01:11 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
This guy probably has more experience in urban coyote trapping than anyone on the planet:

http://scientificwildlifemanagement.com/our-services/urban-wildlife-management/

I've attended a couple of his seminars at wildlife conferences, and it's always an amazing presentation.

Ron Scheller

Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6718421
01/06/20 12:14 PM
01/06/20 12:14 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Ron's not kidding! Rob is the best in the country. We also buy his lures by the case!

Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6718430
01/06/20 12:21 PM
01/06/20 12:21 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Good video. Right to the point.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6719492
01/07/20 02:24 PM
01/07/20 02:24 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Second night I caught a large boar coon. At least he's big enough to put on a stretcher. I actually saw what home owner said was the smallest of the two coyotes while I was talking to the home owner. Of course my 25 caliber PCP was still in the truck. Because this ridge in town is covered by houses it makes it hard to form a plan of attack. The game warden suggested snares, but because there are at least 4 mature does living on the ridge its a toss up on whether I would catch a coyote or a deer. I'm going back tomorrow to refresh the cage with fresh beaver meat and plan to sit for a couple hours to see if I can either see them again or try to find their trails. I have notified the local police department and will have 25 caliber PCP. If I can get one within 50 yards I'm very confident the rifle will cleanly dispatch a coyote. I have held off trying to call them in and will use that avenue if all else fails. If I can get all the neighbors on board I would prefer to put in some foot sets. I think I have a few rubber jawed traps somewhere in my trap shed and will use those if possible. Thanks for the help, Mike.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6719770
01/07/20 06:45 PM
01/07/20 06:45 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Get some Michigan legal cable restraint. Nothing more than a choke collar with a break away device in case a deer does get in one.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6721660
01/08/20 10:49 PM
01/08/20 10:49 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Appreciate it strike2x. If it comes down to it I'll make my own cable restraints.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: In town coyotes [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6721930
01/09/20 08:45 AM
01/09/20 08:45 AM
Eastern Iowa
Joe Taylor Offline
trapper
Joe Taylor  Offline
trapper

Eastern Iowa
Originally Posted by Paul Winkelmann
Ron's not kidding! Rob is the best in the country. We also buy his lures by the case!

Paul, what is one of your favorite lures from Rob’s arsenal?

Joe Taylor
Paw Control Wildlife Solutions | pawcontrol.com
Re: In town coyotes [Re: wormbobskey] #6722090
01/09/20 11:17 AM
01/09/20 11:17 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Squirrel Paste, Coon SB, Chuckster, and Fish Paste!

Re: In town coyotes [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6722105
01/09/20 11:43 AM
01/09/20 11:43 AM
Eastern Iowa
Joe Taylor Offline
trapper
Joe Taylor  Offline
trapper

Eastern Iowa
Originally Posted by Paul Winkelmann
Squirrel Paste, Coon SB, Chuckster, and Fish Paste!

Well, if I’m reincarnated into a critter in the next life, I hope that its in your neck of the woods!

Joe Taylor
Paw Control Wildlife Solutions | pawcontrol.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread