No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Eating muskrat. [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6722123
01/09/20 11:58 AM
01/09/20 11:58 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Originally Posted by Actor
I have eaten a lot of them... the secret is to cut the glands out of usually under front legs and another under the flap of skin in the hind legs. The second thing is when you par boil them, make sure they are well covered with water, when they become tender slowly pour the water off of them so any dissolved fat and bad tasting stuff is poured off of the meat. Then I take them out of the pot and rinse them in tepid water, roll them in flour with salt and pepper and slow fry them till brown. Remove the meat from the skillet and make a gravy from the flour and juice (water) left in the skillet. They remind me a lot of squirrel and I grew up eating squirrel.

Garry-

It is against the law here to serve muskrats with gravy. It should be everywhere.

And why is that ???? You have chicken and gravy, squirrel and gravy, rabbit and gravy, quail, turkey pheasant and every other kind of critter. Is that in the state of Maryland or just in your household?

Oh yes, thanks Paul, I forgot, we soaked it in salt water with some vinegar over night too.

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 01/09/20 11:58 AM.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Eating muskrat. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6722244
01/09/20 01:23 PM
01/09/20 01:23 PM
Metropolis Il.
S
story Offline
trapper
story  Offline
trapper
S

Metropolis Il.
Before I retired cooked some up and took to work. Told everyone it was marsh rabbit. They loved it until I told them what it was and then I recieved several new names that not allowed on here. LOL

Re: Eating muskrat. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6722280
01/09/20 01:42 PM
01/09/20 01:42 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I would have to be In the starvation mode before I would eat them.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Eating muskrat. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6722531
01/09/20 06:43 PM
01/09/20 06:43 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
My father was a fan of Muskrat, as result, I have eaten many of them. Even made jerky from it. It has been decades since I last cooked one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread