Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Salting hides that are dry ? #6723061
01/10/20 01:49 AM
01/10/20 01:49 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline OP
trapper
kyron4  Offline OP
trapper
K

Indiana
I have some pelt that I put up (stretched and dried) that I decided to home tan. Do I need to soak them in water to rehydrate and then salt the hide ? The instructions say hides need to be salted for 24 hrs, scraped, and salt again for 24 hrs before going into a salt water bath. Does salting the hide and air drying do the same thing ? -thanks

Re: Salting hides that are dry ? [Re: kyron4] #6723077
01/10/20 02:48 AM
01/10/20 02:48 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If your pelts are air dried,just re-hydrate them in cold water with a little bleach(5 drops) per gallon to act as a bactericide.Too much bleach can cause hairslip,so stick to the drops.Check your skin every couple hours and throw it over the beam and scrape any hard spots so they will take up the water faster.The faster it rehydrates the less chance of hairslip.You want it the same as when it was skinned off the animal before you dried it.
8 hours should be plenty of time for this for a thicker hide like beaver,and a couple to 4hrs for thinner skinned animals.You can de-grease the skin after it is soft in a bucket of warm water and a cap of dishsoap.Use a scrub brush and scrub the soapy water into the flesh side.
Don't soak the skin in the soapy water just wash it in there-rinse it out several times right away after scrubbing to get all the soap out.Now it is ready to go in the pickle solution,and proceed with the tanning.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread