Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Bait solutions available in Canada #6715247
01/03/20 01:13 PM
01/03/20 01:13 PM
Colwell Lake, Manitoba
Bravo Bad Back Offline OP
trapper
Bravo Bad Back  Offline OP
trapper

Colwell Lake, Manitoba
Could someone please point me in the right direction as i cannot find a supplier for bait solutions in Canada and typically the American suppliers are unable to ship this product cross-border. I will be using fish (suckers) for one style and meat (beaver) for the other and won't amount to more than 6 or 7 gal. of each.

In the event that i am unable to secure a source here could a knowledgeable source help instruct me in a homemade concoction.

Target fur-bearers will be coyote, wolf, lynx, marten and fox.

Many thanks in advance.

Trapline #53 - Split Lake
Northern Manitoba
Re: Bait solutions available in Canada [Re: Bravo Bad Back] #6716148
01/04/20 10:06 AM
01/04/20 10:06 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have never trapped that far north. I have trapped in mountains in WY. Can get pretty cold there too. I had a marten line out and was using beaver meat straight for them. Worked great. Ran out as I was also using half carcasses as a bobcat attracter on another line. Cutting through 18 inchs of ice is a lot of work and I had had enough of it. So I put some prepared coyote bait in my boxes. A nelson type bait with a lot of stuff added. More lure than bait really. It caught marten too but not like the beaver meat did. I shot some jackrabbits and prairie dogs and was back in buisness. They definitely preferred that straight meat. Plenty of jack rabbits up there where the marten were but no prairie dogs. Didnt seem to matter though.

this is the "nelson" formula bait solution passed around a lot. its a good starting point.

NELSON BAIT FORMULA
Bait:
Any red flesh will do but the best is beaver, horse, woodchuck, skunk, housecat or bobcat. Cut into desired sized pieces, or grind. Place in gallon jar, 2/3 full. Place lid on loosely, just enough to keep flies out. Place in warm but shaded area until bait swells and juice forms on it and it has a frothy look to it. Just a good taint, not rotten. Stir in solution with a long fork. Mix well and when finished, the solution should cover the settled bait mass by about an inch. Bury a foot or so deep in earth trenches, lids on firm but not tight as jars may explode. Age in trench for at least one month.

Solution:

In a gallon jar, place 2 pints sun rendered fish oil (catfish or trout is best), 1 pint of glycerine and 20 heaping tablespoons of sodium benzoate. Add 1 ounce of valerian, 1 ½ ounces of tincture of aseofetida, then 8 tablespoons of ground beaver castor, 20 drops of pure skunk essence, and 1 pint of pure red fox urine. Fill jug the rest of the way with pure rainwater, shake well and age at least one week prior to adding to bait formula. It helps to add 4 ounces of ground muskrat or mink glands.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bait solutions available in Canada [Re: danny clifton] #6716246
01/04/20 11:44 AM
01/04/20 11:44 AM
Colwell Lake, Manitoba
trapper
trapper

Colwell Lake, Manitoba
I’ve always done well with a chunk of beaver or fish but I’d like to have another option so I’m not without bait which has happened when the bears dug up the fish I had buried to taint. A couple of buckets of ready made juiced up bait would be handy till I can get a net back in the water.

Northern Manitoba
Re: Bait solutions available in Canada [Re: Bravo Bad Back] #6723078
01/10/20 02:59 AM
01/10/20 02:59 AM
Maine
S
shorthair Offline
trapper
shorthair  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
ttt

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my traps for what I said I paid for them."
Re: Bait solutions available in Canada [Re: Bravo Bad Back] #6759185
02/05/20 06:07 PM
02/05/20 06:07 PM
Colwell Lake, Manitoba
trapper
trapper

Colwell Lake, Manitoba
I had never seen the instructions on how to do that so thanks Danny for that ! Curious if you have used this before and any recommendations on changing it up a bit for either the sucker or beaver meat would also be equally appreciated.
Again thanks, now i have a starting point so i can do up a couple of buckets of bait.

Northern Manitoba
Re: Bait solutions available in Canada [Re: Bravo Bad Back] #6759519
02/05/20 09:21 PM
02/05/20 09:21 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have tweaked it some. Just like everyone else who does it. As is it works pretty good. Beaver works good like that. I grind mine instead of chunking it up.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bait solutions available in Canada [Re: danny clifton] #7800489
02/17/23 01:15 AM
02/17/23 01:15 AM
West Virginia
S
Snaretrap Offline
trapper
Snaretrap  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
Ttt