No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Discount eyeglasses #6727995
01/13/20 09:05 PM
01/13/20 09:05 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline OP
trapper
LDW  Offline OP
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the discount eyeglass companies? I need bifocals and was wondering if their prices are cheaper or just an advertising gimmick. Glasses from my normal eye doctor are over a $1000.00 now. That's outrageous.

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728007
01/13/20 09:13 PM
01/13/20 09:13 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
Haven’t ordered bifocals but these days I get my glasses from zennioptical.com very happy with them. I got some of the super cheap ones as well to stash in glove boxes and such.

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728010
01/13/20 09:15 PM
01/13/20 09:15 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by LDW
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the discount eyeglass companies? I need bifocals and was wondering if their prices are cheaper or just an advertising gimmick. Glasses from my normal eye doctor are over a $1000.00 now. That's outrageous.

Heck ya. I get them WAY cheaper.

I use these guys
https://www.zennioptical.com/

Glasses start at $6.95 plus shipping. Thousands of frames to pick from. Been using them for about 5+ years now.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728016
01/13/20 09:19 PM
01/13/20 09:19 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Marks stores... (cheater glasses $0.99)

jim
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728046
01/13/20 09:37 PM
01/13/20 09:37 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Instead of telling the good , I'm only going to tell you the bad.

You need to have your prescription. Some optometrists are leery about giving it to you. They want to sell you some of their over priced glasses. I have always asked for a written copy of mine in case I am away on vacation and need to get some locally made ones. You can also tell the optometrist you are going to buy prescription diving googles which he probably doesn't sell.

The glasses are made in China. I would prefer to buy made in the U.S.A. but for the serious difference in price , I will deal with that. Shipping takes awhile of course , 2-3 weeks. Shipping on one pair can cost $10 but if you buy more , like an order over $50 , they waive the shipping. Check website for details. Might be better to buy more than one pair to beat shipping costs.

Quality of the frames are not as good , maybe 80% as good as ones from the optometrist. I have broken a couple. For the low cost , they go right in the trash. No more fixing them with dorky tape , just throw them out and order more.

That's the only bad things I can think about.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728076
01/13/20 09:48 PM
01/13/20 09:48 PM
MN South of Gotha
J
Jags Offline
trapper
Jags  Offline
trapper
J

MN South of Gotha
Try Wal Mart. I have progressive bifocals that get dark tint outside and clear inside ( can't remember what thats called) the lenses are usually $200 and whatever frames you pick.

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: Cragar] #6728080
01/13/20 09:50 PM
01/13/20 09:50 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline OP
trapper
LDW  Offline OP
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
Originally Posted by Cragar
Instead of telling the good , I'm only going to tell you the bad.

You need to have your prescription. Some optometrists are leery about giving it to you. They want to sell you some of their over priced glasses. I have always asked for a written copy of mine in case I am away on vacation and need to get some locally made ones. You can also tell the optometrist you are going to buy prescription diving googles which he probably doesn't sell.

The glasses are made in China. I would prefer to buy made in the U.S.A. but for the serious difference in price , I will deal with that. Shipping takes awhile of course , 2-3 weeks. Shipping on one pair can cost $10 but if you buy more , like an order over $50 , they waive the shipping. Check website for details. Might be better to buy more than one pair to beat shipping costs.

Quality of the frames are not as good , maybe 80% as good as ones from the optometrist. I have broken a couple. For the low cost , they go right in the trash. No more fixing them with dorky tape , just throw them out and order more.

That's the only bad things I can think about.

Thanks, gives me something to think about. Tired of paying that much for local services.

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728095
01/13/20 09:55 PM
01/13/20 09:55 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Years ago I worked with a woman who's ex-husband was an optometrist. She had worked in his office when they were married. She said that he was buying frames for $15 and selling them for $250. That was 20 years ago so double those prices today.

I buy mine from zenni optical. I ask my eye dr. for a paper script. He gives me the sales pitch about how much better his lens coating is and how a professional fitting is so important.

I uploaded my photo to the website (first selfie I ever took). You click on your pupils on the photo and then you get to try different glasses on your own face to see how you look.

Mine cost me $60 instead of $300 and I've been wearing them for 2 years. The only difference I notice is the metal inside the plastic nose pieces has started to turn green. You can't see it unless I take off the glasses so I don't care. For the price, I can buy new ones 4 more times and I'm still breaking even.

Last edited by maintenanceguy; 01/13/20 09:57 PM.

-Ryan
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728107
01/13/20 09:59 PM
01/13/20 09:59 PM
NE KS
B
bowhunterks Offline
trapper
bowhunterks  Offline
trapper
B

NE KS
I get my glasses from success vision last ones I got cost me 159.00 that's bifocals and shatter proof lens. Eye doc is next door get your script go next door pick out frames glasses are ready in 2 hours. I've had good luck with them

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728123
01/13/20 10:07 PM
01/13/20 10:07 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
The good.

I own many pairs of glasses now , almost 2 dozen. Different styles and frames. I have tinted sunglasses in black , brown , dark green , wayfarer style. I have some blue ones even a pair with round lenses aka John Lennon , I have yellow shooting glasses for the gun range. I can change what I wear depending on my mood and what I am doing that day. I have one pair Xtra dark I keep in the car for when I have to drive directly into the sun. Could possibly use them for light welding...lol They have ones that change with the light too.

They have frameless ones , titanium frame ones , ones with the flexy frames you can almost tie in a knot. Good choice for kids that break glasses. They have kinda like goggle ones. They have men's , women's , children's styles. Tons of choices. Even seasonal ones for Christmas and other occasions.

For the 2 dozen pairs I have , I have spent about $500 including shipping , split over 3 different orders.

For reference, I need my glasses for distance and I have a slight astigmatism.

Tints cost about $5 more than non-tints. Bifocals a little bit more than standard lens.

Highly recommend going this route , I will never overpay at an optometrist again. Plus there is always a pair near me in the house. No more hunting for that one pair when I am in a rush out the door. I used to spend about $200+ at the optometrist for one pair.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728130
01/13/20 10:10 PM
01/13/20 10:10 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Try costco.
Got my daughter glasses at eyemart recently. 2 pairs for $40 but it's a slim selection no additional features or upgrades. That's just for the basic lenses and frame. I opted out of addons since she is rough on glasses or loses them

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: Cragar] #6728131
01/13/20 10:12 PM
01/13/20 10:12 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline OP
trapper
LDW  Offline OP
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
The good.

I own many pairs of glasses now , almost 2 dozen. Different styles and frames. I have tinted sunglasses in black , brown , dark green , wayfarer style. I have some blue ones even a pair with round lenses aka John Lennon , I have yellow shooting glasses for the gun range. I can change what I wear depending on my mood and what I am doing that day. I have one pair Xtra dark I keep in the car for when I have to drive directly into the sun. Could possibly use them for light welding...lol They have ones that change with the light too.

They have frameless ones , titanium frame ones , ones with the flexy frames you can almost tie in a knot. Good choice for kids that break glasses. They have kinda like goggle ones. They have men's , women's , children's styles. Tons of choices. Even seasonal ones for Christmas and other occasions.

For the 2 dozen pairs I have , I have spent about $500 including shipping , split over 3 different orders.

For reference, I need my glasses for distance and I have a slight astigmatism.

Tints cost about $5 more than non-tints. Bifocals a little bit more than standard lens.

Highly recommend going this route , I will never overpay at an optometrist again. Plus there is always a pair near me in the house. No more hunting for that one pair when I am in a rush out the door. I used to spend about $200+ at the optometrist for one pair.

The last pair I bought locally cost me $650 and that was 3 years ago. My gal paid $1000 last year for hers. That's crazy!!

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: adam m] #6728155
01/13/20 10:26 PM
01/13/20 10:26 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by adam m
Try costco.
Got my daughter glasses at eyemart recently. 2 pairs for $40 but it's a slim selection no additional features or upgrades. That's just for the basic lenses and frame. I opted out of addons since she is rough on glasses or loses them

Costco is a good place to go for the exam , affordable. It sounds like the ones you got your daughter are about equivalent to the $6.95 selection at Zenni Optical. Wouldn't it be nice to buy your daughter 5 pairs of glasses for less than $40 ?

I had a friend get in my car one day. He didn't notice and sat right on one of my pairs of glasses and broke them. He felt real bad and apologized profusely. I said let me see those. He handed them to me. I chucked them out the window as I was driving. He looked at me like I was nuts. His face was priceless. I told no big deal , I spent less than the cost of a steak dinner for them. He felt much better knowing that.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728164
01/13/20 10:34 PM
01/13/20 10:34 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Zenni Optical promo code

Save even more

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/zennioptical.com

NRA benefactor member
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: Cragar] #6728174
01/13/20 10:41 PM
01/13/20 10:41 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline OP
trapper
LDW  Offline OP
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
Zenni Optical promo code

Save even more

Thanks for all the info, Cragar.

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: jctunnelrat] #6728205
01/13/20 11:03 PM
01/13/20 11:03 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
Marks stores... (cheater glasses $0.99)

Dollar store cheaters for me too!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728220
01/13/20 11:16 PM
01/13/20 11:16 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by LDW
Zenni Optical promo code

Save even more

Thanks for all the info, Cragar.

No problem , give them a try.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: LDW] #6728237
01/13/20 11:31 PM
01/13/20 11:31 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Looks like Zenni optical also has a refer a friend program where you get $5 off and so does the friend you refer. Just scroll all the way down and click on Programs. If anyone here is already using Zenni and wants to help out someone new to it, there's a way to help each other.

Re: Discount eyeglasses [Re: Cragar] #6728249
01/13/20 11:44 PM
01/13/20 11:44 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by adam m
Try costco.

Costco is a good place to go for the exam , affordable. It sounds like the ones you got your daughter are about equivalent to the $6.95 selection at Zenni Optical. Wouldn't it be nice to buy your daughter 5 pairs of glasses for less than $40 ?

I had a friend get in my car one day. He didn't notice and sat right on one of my pairs of glasses and broke them. He felt real bad and apologized profusely. I said let me see those. He handed them to me. I chucked them out the window as I was driving. He looked at me like I was nuts. His face was priceless. I told no big deal , I spent less than the cost of a steak dinner for them. He felt much better knowing that.

That's awesome. I'll give them a try. I had to buy a 3rd pair recently because she lost a pair. I was not happy about it at all. I told her I'm not buying her anymore if she's going to keep losing them. She doesn't need them for anything other than eye protection and her school won't allow her to wear shades if they aren't prescribed. She's only got the 1 eye so it's important she takes extra precautions with it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread