No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730068
01/15/20 04:35 PM
01/15/20 04:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,569
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,569
Asheville, NC
My mom taught public school in the same town for 45 years and retired at 70. She walked to work every day. Upon her retirement, she immediately went to the community college and was hired to teach adult reading. On her first evening of adult reading, an elderly man brought his Bible to class and wanted to learn to read it. She stopped at age 85. Said her back bothered her and she could not bend over a student's desk to help them any longer.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: ~ADC~] #6730072
01/15/20 04:37 PM
01/15/20 04:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 326
edwardsville,IL
stoke Offline
trapper
stoke  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 326
edwardsville,IL
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world. There are a lot of great teachers who won't, or can not afford to be teachers for the pisspoor wages they get. There are a lot of teachers who do it because its important and they want to make a difference, but the best ones often advance into other positions where they can make more money. If teachers were paid like they should be, there would a bunch more of them to choose from = better teachers teaching your kids. IMO the teachers are not the ones to blame for your child's poor performance.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world. There are a lot of great teachers who won't, or can not afford to be teachers for the pisspoor wages they get. There are a lot of teachers who do it because its important and they want to make a difference, but the best ones often advance into other positions where they can make more money. If teachers were paid like they should be, there would a bunch more of them to choose from = better teachers teaching your kids. IMO the teachers are not the ones to blame for your child's poor performance.

[Linked Image]


Spot on ADC! I’m always disappointed when I see the occasional “bashing teachers” thread.


[Linked Image]
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730089
01/15/20 04:47 PM
01/15/20 04:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,970
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,970
SEPA
If your students know your political ideology, your a crappy teacher. There are a lot of crappy teachers indoctrinating our youth, infecting their young minds with liberalism.


Eh...wot?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730092
01/15/20 04:50 PM
01/15/20 04:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 270
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 270
mo.
Cathode Jim
I wonder if the teacher that took your wives job is happy or complaining. Starting sallery would be less I'm guessing? Not trying to argue but like i said before someone else may be thrilled to have it.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730098
01/15/20 04:55 PM
01/15/20 04:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 514
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 514
Wisconsin
Lugnut and if they are indoctrinating them with Conservatism is that ok then?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730100
01/15/20 04:57 PM
01/15/20 04:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,683
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,683
PA
I am very pleased with the education my sons received in their public school. The oldest earned his masters last May and is making over 100K in the medical field(PA). He did very well in a very demanding major.
A couple of his High school buddies have been bouncing from job to job and are constantly whining that their poor education is what holding them back. Their parents bash the school too.
These young men had every opportunity that my sons all did.
My two younger boys are also doing very well with their college pursuits. Their teachers played a huge part in that.

I was talking to one of the guy's father a couple years ago. He said he couldn't believe kids could afford college or even trade school. This guy bought his kids ATVs, pickups when they turned 16, and never made the kid hold a job, even during summer breaks. My sons worked at least part time since they turned 16.

Most of a kids education is like everything else in real life-you get out of it what you put into it. If the kid hears his parent constantly blame the school system for his problems, he gets a different kind of education that often follows him through life........ Very often, a poorly educated kid is a poorly parented kid too.

Teach your kids a work ethic and expect them to do their part in everything they do. Teach them to listen to the opinions of others, but be sure they know that they must do their own thinking. When they get a little older don't be too disappointed if the see things differently than you do. It could just mean you did a good job. And do not teach them to look for somebody else to blame when the come up short. Not accepting responsibility may be American's biggest problem in more than just education..

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730101
01/15/20 04:57 PM
01/15/20 04:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,970
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,970
SEPA
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Lugnut and if they are indoctrinating them with Conservatism is that ok then?


Nope. Go back and read the first sentence. The one where I said, "If your students know your political ideology, your a crappy teacher. "


Eh...wot?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: Lugnut] #6730111
01/15/20 05:05 PM
01/15/20 05:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,683
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,683
PA
Originally Posted by Lugnut
If your students know your political ideology, your a crappy teacher. There are a lot of crappy teachers indoctrinating our youth, infecting their young minds with liberalism.


This is one of the biggest lies told by some of folks who call themselves conservatives. I hear the talking heads on foxnews say similar things every day. The last thing most of this type want is an educated populous-they are threatened by anyone who does not believe all they believe themselves.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730119
01/15/20 05:11 PM
01/15/20 05:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,970
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,970
SEPA
Sorry grackle, I'm not taking the bait.


Eh...wot?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: gryhkl] #6730121
01/15/20 05:14 PM
01/15/20 05:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 198
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 198
SW MISSOURI
Originally Posted by gryhkl
I am very pleased with the education my sons received in their public school. The oldest earned his masters last May and is making over 100K in the medical field(PA). He did very well in a very demanding major.
A couple of his High school buddies have been bouncing from job to job and are constantly whining that their poor education is what holding them back. Their parents bash the school too.
These young men had every opportunity that my sons all did.
My two younger boys are also doing very well with their college pursuits. Their teachers played a huge part in that.

I was talking to one of the guy's father a couple years ago. He said he couldn't believe kids could afford college or even trade school. This guy bought his kids ATVs, pickups when they turned 16, and never made the kid hold a job, even during summer breaks. My sons worked at least part time since they turned 16.

Most of a kids education is like everything else in real life-you get out of it what you put into it. If the kid hears his parent constantly blame the school system for his problems, he gets a different kind of education that often follows him through life........ Very often, a poorly educated kid is a poorly parented kid too.


Teach your kids a work ethic and expect them to do their part in everything they do. Teach them to listen to the opinions of others, but be sure they know that they must do their own thinking. When they get a little older don't be too disappointed if the see things differently than you do. It could just mean you did a good job. And do not teach them to look for somebody else to blame when the come up short. Not accepting responsibility may be American's biggest problem in more than just education..


sent you a pm regarding your son that is a pm - my daughter is looking into that.


www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: TEACHERS [Re: AntiGov] #6730122
01/15/20 05:15 PM
01/15/20 05:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,779
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,779
Ky
Originally Posted by AntiGov
Normal full time is 2000 hrs

Teacher 3/4 time 1500 hrs



You are so wrong on so many levels. You can't put a time frame on the hours they work. Yes if you are talking about the pe teacher that leaves before the bell rang. Then has NO papers to grade because tossing a ball up in the air and bouncing on one leg is not a class. It's pretty obvious the PE teachers are failing because of all the FAT kids running around.
My wife taught HIGH SCHOOL algebra for 29 years. I saw the late nights grading exams for 300 students. The countless hours making lesson plans. With all the kids and parents blaming the teachers because their einsteins can't pass a common exam she retired . Started teaching at a local college . TOTALLY different. The students want to be there not forced.
AS for pay ,with the amount of college she had to take in order to work her way up the pay scale ANY job in the private sector would have paid double. Triple? Sky the limit. But she wanted to help kids to succeed and make a difference . Then it felt like the kids no longer wanted to work for their success they expected it because of whom their parents where.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 01/15/20 05:18 PM.
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730125
01/15/20 05:24 PM
01/15/20 05:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,779
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,779
Ky
ONE BIG problem is as the older teachers retire the learning values go with them. You must remember that the "entitled" generation are the ones filling these openings. Sense of pride and ambition are going away as the kid that finishes last will get the same trophy/ diploma as the one that finishes first ............. And if you say anything to the kid that is lazy and doesn't put forth any effort then you are bulling them!!!!


Jesus wept ......................

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730126
01/15/20 05:24 PM
01/15/20 05:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,669
Central Oregon
A
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,669
Central Oregon
Dang ! 300 students , she is prolly an exception then

Most would cry a river a mile long with half that

Last edited by AntiGov; 01/15/20 05:26 PM.

Report a post club - Non member


Re: TEACHERS [Re: gryhkl] #6730129
01/15/20 05:27 PM
01/15/20 05:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,233
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,233
Oklahoma
Originally Posted by gryhkl
Originally Posted by Lugnut
If your students know your political ideology, your a crappy teacher. There are a lot of crappy teachers indoctrinating our youth, infecting their young minds with liberalism.


This is one of the biggest lies told by some of folks who call themselves conservatives. I hear the talking heads on foxnews say similar things every day. The last thing most of this type want is an educated populous-they are threatened by anyone who does not believe all they believe themselves.

I don't know about that, every school has teachers with opinions and them teachers past the opinion on the the students, That's a fact. You dont think all the liberal thought just came to the kids by them selves do you? It isn't just political stuff even animal related. You can bet that alot of the major schools are pushing kids to help animals when they can. If they can put a soft spot in there heart. It will be that much easier to get them to vote to end trapping and hunting. Surely you can see that

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730131
01/15/20 05:30 PM
01/15/20 05:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,045
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,045
Armpit, ak
A teaching degree is the easiest college degree to get and the people getting them have below average SAT scores. At or near the bottom. Hard to soar like an eagle when your workforce are turkeys.


Who is John Galt?
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730133
01/15/20 05:30 PM
01/15/20 05:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 350
Minnesota
S
shortliner16 Offline
trapper
shortliner16  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 350
Minnesota
My favorite is when people say they are glorified baby sitters and should be payed like it. I agree. Average babysitter gets payed what, $20 a night.

So lets say teachers should get $30 a day for "babysitting each kid. Say they have 18 kids on average. That's $540 a day. With 175ish working days that's $94,500 a year.

So for those that say they get payed plenty, pull your head out of your rear end. My wife teaches, I have a teaching degree but chose to do something else. WAY more work than most people could understand.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: gcs] #6730149
01/15/20 05:37 PM
01/15/20 05:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,470
New York border
Cragar Online content
trapper
Cragar  Online Content
trapper

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,470
New York border
Originally Posted by gcs
"Here" teachers are the highest paid of anywhere,.. and they still claim if only they were paid more they would be better teachers.


Same here. A friend pointed this out to me one day , look at your local town/city budget. About 60%-65% of the the budget goes to the schools , the lion's share. However , look closely to the other side of the budget , everything else. There is usually debt or other things directly related to the schools , maybe funds for a new parking lot at a school or roof repair. Now figuring in that , the school system is getting 70%-75% of the budget. But they always want more.

Good teachers are rare and worth praise , most good ones leave for better jobs. I would not want to be one nowadays , the inmates are running the asylum.


NRA benefactor member
Re: TEACHERS [Re: shortliner16] #6730158
01/15/20 05:45 PM
01/15/20 05:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,470
New York border
Cragar Online content
trapper
Cragar  Online Content
trapper

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,470
New York border
Originally Posted by shortliner16
My favorite is when people say they are glorified baby sitters and should be payed like it. I agree. Average babysitter gets payed what, $20 a night.

So lets say teachers should get $30 a day for "babysitting each kid. Say they have 18 kids on average. That's $540 a day. With 175ish working days that's $94,500 a year.

So for those that say they get payed plenty, pull your head out of your rear end. My wife teaches, I have a teaching degree but chose to do something else. WAY more work than most people could understand.


It all depends on where you live. My neighbor's son is a teacher at a state trade school , does drafting CAD/CAM. Also coaches after school hours for extra pay. He makes $140k


NRA benefactor member
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730159
01/15/20 05:47 PM
01/15/20 05:47 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,183
KY.usa
rex123 Offline OP
trapper
rex123  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,183
KY.usa
Didn't start this to bash teachers,even said there are good ones but I still don't see how giving someone more money makes them better at what they do. They are either good at it or not . The kids are for the most part in need of a swift kick. But once again how is giving a teacher more money going to change that in any way? They decided to be a teacher like every where else do it or leave. Find something you will enjoy .As you all have said you can't be staying for the money, union protection or early retirement.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: white17] #6730184
01/15/20 06:05 PM
01/15/20 06:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,662
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,662
Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by white17
My dad, who was a 6th grade graduate, made it clear to me that my teachers all deserved my respect. But he also stressed that they are not always right just because they are a teacher. He always encouraged me to contest anything that did not pass the smell test.....but do so politely.


I'll bet he was a good man. One of my favorite teachers was also my grade school principal and I loved the guy. He's gone now but I still interact with his kids on FB. They must cringe when they see me attacking the educational establishment and mistakenly think I'm attacking their father. Nothing could be further from the truth.




Last edited by Posco; 01/15/20 06:05 PM.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread