No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730193
01/15/20 06:08 PM
01/15/20 06:08 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
One time I went into town to get our mail,the post office is about 3/4 of a mile from our house.It involves driving down our road for 1/2 mile,turn left at the crossroads,and drive down a hill 1/4 mile,at the bottom of the hill sits the post office.I jumped in the truck w/o putting on my seatbelt.Turning left and going down the hill I met a state trooper going up the hill,I saw him do a double take when I went by,but oh well,he went up and over and I was at the p.o.Getting back in the truck I put my seat belt on (after that close call)and headed back home.I got to the top of the hill and there sat the trooper,as soon as I went by on came the lights and he was on my tail.I pulled over and he and his partner get out,his partner coming up on the passenger side while he was at my window.Wanting to see my insurance,license,registration,I couldn't find my insurance.He asked if I knew why he stopped me I just shrugged.He said they saw me w/o my seat belt on earlier and wanted to know where I was going.I told him,then he wanted to know where I lived.I could see my house across the fields and I pointed it out.His partner had been giving my truck the once over(bed was clean,nothing in the back seat),the way the trooper kept stalling it was like he was trying to find something but couldn't,and I had a clean driving record.So he said I'm writing a warning ticket for not being able to show proof of insurance,I had x amount of days to prove I had insurance(as if he didn't know).Being our state and county offices are 60 miles + one way from my house I said "can I just fax it"?He got a funny look on his face and said"nope,you have to take it in person".A couple days later I made the trip to Escanaba,when I showed the clerk the warning along with my insurance she said"why didn't you just fax it,you wouldn't have had to come all this way".I guess that was his way of getting back at me seeing as he didn't get me for no seat belt.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730230
01/15/20 06:30 PM
01/15/20 06:30 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I went to court on a ticket I could defend (long story, and I don't have the time), and the case was dismissed because the cop never showed up to testify against me. Happens a lot, I think.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730263
01/15/20 07:04 PM
01/15/20 07:04 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I guess if your get a ticket and you feel you are innocent go to court, if guilty pay the fine. It is worth being a liar.

*You are never to old to Vote. *

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: James] #6730270
01/15/20 07:09 PM
01/15/20 07:09 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by James
I went to court on a ticket I could defend (long story, and I don't have the time), and the case was dismissed because the cop never showed up to testify against me. Happens a lot, I think.

Jim

It does happen but most LEO's will have the court set a date on their day off. The brass at the PD will make them go to insure that the charges stick.

Beating a ticket on lack of an officer present or technicality works. My brother went to fight a ticket once. Cop had nailed about 30 people on one day for rolling a stop sign at one location. My brother did his homework however. The first 10 or so people went in front of him got charged/fined/nolleyed or what have you. My brother's time came up in front of the judge. He told the judge the police officer was hiding in a private driveway to nab offenders. The officer did not have permission from the homeowner and he had proof in writing from the homeowner. The judge questioned the officer about this , officer stammered out a reply but did not have permission. Ticket was thrown out. The officer needs permission to do this on private land but not public areas. All the people with tickets after my brother were thrown out at the same time. As my brother and the rest of these people left the courtroom they were high fiving him and thanking him. The ones before him stood with their fines. The officer learned a lesson that day taught to him by the judge and my brother.

NRA benefactor member
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: James] #6730277
01/15/20 07:11 PM
01/15/20 07:11 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by James

Jim

That happened to me

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730329
01/15/20 07:47 PM
01/15/20 07:47 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I fought a ticket about 10-12 years ago. I was running beaver traps and fell in behind a school bus on a rural dirt road. The road is/was a washboard chatter-bumpy mess, and as a result, you always drove sloooooooooow down that stretch............I followed the bus for a bit and knew it was going to make a stop just ahead, which it did. I was back a little bit and slow-rolled up toward the bus as it sat there with it's orange flashers on. They stayed on as I got right up to the bus, so I figured the driver was waiting for me to go around. I did just that, at about 15-20 mph. When I was almost abreast of the driver the little stop sign by his window came out (it is automatic when the red flashers come on). Rather than stop right there, with the front of my truck about 5 feet from the front of the bus, I kept going. Several days later a State Trooper showed up at the house and told me the driver turned me in for not stopping. I gave him my story and off he went. 2 or so weeks later he came back with a ticket. The Prosecuting Attorney in that county had said to write me up. Bummer. I was told by the cop that the bus driver said I'd gone by moments AFTER he'd let a kindergartner off the bus! If that was true, that little kid must have been fired off the bus with a cannon, 'cause the little feller couldn't have stepped off that bus in the time it took me to roll past the front of the bus. I was P.O.'ed and decided to fight it. The bus driver guy told the judge the same altered story, also said I was going much faster than I was. I was screwed and knew it. But the judge said this...."Due to Mr. Morse's truthful testimony, I am going to reduce his fine to $100". I saved $125 by taking a day off work to fight it,but I was still ticked about it. The only other ticket I was ever written was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. It was about 30 years earlier and written by a State Trooper with the last name of Beaver. I deserved that one. Yep, I'm a desperado.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730413
01/15/20 09:00 PM
01/15/20 09:00 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Online content
trapper
Diggerman  Online Content
trapper
D

Wi.
I got driving awards from 5 States, earned them all. Nebraska was the cheapest, hardly worth stopping.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730452
01/15/20 09:26 PM
01/15/20 09:26 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
I always fight it in court.....and I have a pretty good chance of getting it reduced or thrown out...just ask my sons......it’s a big Joke around here...true story

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Getting There] #6730530
01/15/20 10:33 PM
01/15/20 10:33 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by Getting There
I guess if your get a ticket and you feel you are innocent go to court, if guilty pay the fine. It is worth being a liar.

*You are never to old to Vote. *

I've fought a lot of tickets. I estimate that I've beat 80%. Living near a small town that writes 1,000 tickets per resident annually can make for a lot of experience fighting tickets. There is no need to lie in court to beat a ticket. There is no obligation to self incriminate either.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Gulo] #6730618
01/15/20 11:44 PM
01/15/20 11:44 PM
NH
T
thebeaverguy Offline
trapper
thebeaverguy  Offline
trapper
T

NH
Originally Posted by Gulo
I've received a total of 2 tickets in my life. Both back in the 70s. Both from the same state policeman, about a year apart. First was for crossing the center-line (inattentive driving) on a highway that one could see at least a mile in front. Second one was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. In my mind they were BS tickets, but I was indeed guilty of both violations. I took them both to court, and judge threw 'em both out. It did cost me, though, as I had to take the judge on a couple more goose hunts.

Jack

Sounds like frontier justice to me.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730766
01/16/20 03:00 AM
01/16/20 03:00 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I have a friend who got stopped by a city cop for not having a new license sticker. It was expired by 1 day. He explained he had the new one hanging on the refrigerator. Didn't matter wrong was wrong. He went to court and lost, then had like a $30 court fee extra. He went to the bank and got (I think like $90 in pennies and dumped them all in a sack). Took them to the clerk. They didn't like it one bit, but he argued it was legal tender. They agreed the amount looked about right and wrote him out a receipt without counting them.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730815
01/16/20 07:35 AM
01/16/20 07:35 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Only been stopped 2x in my life, paid the one ticket (1984, motorcycle, speeding going 80 in a 55) and once a couple years ago was passing someone and got lit up for doing 70 in a 55, I took the stop class for the second ticket online in comfort of my own home, cost about $100 and was way cheaper than paying the ticket...and I lost 0 points and no other issues. I was wrong in doing what I did, so I needed to make it right.
The stop class is a great option if you qualify. You just cant take it again for 3 years I believe.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: lindner115] #6730817
01/16/20 07:40 AM
01/16/20 07:40 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by lindner115
WI used to take points off driver license when you got a driving violation, usually if it was 4 points for common speeding, and when you went to court they would cut it down to 2 points, fine stayed the same. FYI i think each person had 16 points and when they were gone you lost license for a year or something. As a kid my first ticket parents made me go to court, just as more punishment i think.

We don't have points system anymore? Dunno, really. Last ticket was in '74 for three on a motorcycle, that was in Arizona during my Air Force days.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730844
01/16/20 08:15 AM
01/16/20 08:15 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If i did what i got a ticket for, speeding (last one was in 91) or whatever i will just pay it

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730866
01/16/20 08:35 AM
01/16/20 08:35 AM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Any tickets I've had in town, I went to court. Out of town depended how far away they were

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730874
01/16/20 08:49 AM
01/16/20 08:49 AM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

If I get pulled over I know if I am guilty or not. I have a tendency to drive 10 over all the time on the highway/county roads. I counted 16 warnings before I finally got a ticket from a trooper. When the officers comes to the window and asks or tells me why he pulled me over I just admit to him that ya I was speeding. He is doing his job and knows I'm guilty I know I am guilty. Just admit it and be cordial and in my case you go on your merry way.

However I would fight and did fight a bogus ticket. Won the case without having to say a word. The charging officers report and explanation to the judge did not meet the minimum and the judge chastised the office for wasting the courts time and mine and dismissed

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6730899
01/16/20 09:14 AM
01/16/20 09:14 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Got checked by a GW 4 days in a row. We had a little farm pond you could see from the paved road that was holding Redheads and Canvasbacks. Now those may be everyday ducks to y’all, but they were trophies to us. I got several people their birds they wanted to mount. We’d shoot only one Can and Redhead each and leave.
After day 2 I started videoing the GW checking us. He didn’t care for that. Day 3 he brought 2 others with him to “check” the pond and decoys. The pond was next to a corn field and husks had blown in from the wind. We had already taken our birds and was at the trucks when they showed up. I videoed them checking the pond and even one of the others that said there’s nothing here and we’re wasting time.
Day 4 the same 3 with the other two looking disgusted. Again they waited until we were done. Checked all guns, shells, license, stamps, etc. I told them we were leaving, even had that on video. Well, 2 hours later I get a call from the GW. He found a duck we “had hid” and it was a Redhead hen. Well I grabbed my youngest and Lab and went back to the pond.
When we got there, he said there was a wounded duck swimming around and we needed to dispatch it and once we did, we’d be over the limit. I told him if we find it and dispatch it that my son would do the shooting seeing how he didn’t go that morning. Needless to say, we finally found the duck and corralled it up in the cattails and I sent the dog in. He came out with a very much alive winged duck. I took the live duck and placed it in the back of his truck and said it’ll make it. Do what you want with it and left. 30 minutes later he dropped a dead duck and ticket off at the house for shooting over the limit.
To this day I don’t think we shot that bird. After the first day I was just watching and “guiding”.
I went to court with all my videos, and the judge dismissed it all and told the GW we had a big county to be concentrating all his time on one pond. Without video I’d probably had to have paid the fine.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Wanna Be] #6730924
01/16/20 09:31 AM
01/16/20 09:31 AM
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Got checked by a GW 4 days in a row. We had a little farm pond you could see from the paved road that was holding Redheads and Canvasbacks. Now those may be everyday ducks to y’all, but they were trophies to us. I got several people their birds they wanted to mount. We’d shoot only one Can and Redhead each and leave.
After day 2 I started videoing the GW checking us. He didn’t care for that. Day 3 he brought 2 others with him to “check” the pond and decoys. The pond was next to a corn field and husks had blown in from the wind. We had already taken our birds and was at the trucks when they showed up. I videoed them checking the pond and even one of the others that said there’s nothing here and we’re wasting time.
Day 4 the same 3 with the other two looking disgusted. Again they waited until we were done. Checked all guns, shells, license, stamps, etc. I told them we were leaving, even had that on video. Well, 2 hours later I get a call from the GW. He found a duck we “had hid” and it was a Redhead hen. Well I grabbed my youngest and Lab and went back to the pond.
When we got there, he said there was a wounded duck swimming around and we needed to dispatch it and once we did, we’d be over the limit. I told him if we find it and dispatch it that my son would do the shooting seeing how he didn’t go that morning. Needless to say, we finally found the duck and corralled it up in the cattails and I sent the dog in. He came out with a very much alive winged duck. I took the live duck and placed it in the back of his truck and said it’ll make it. Do what you want with it and left. 30 minutes later he dropped a dead duck and ticket off at the house for shooting over the limit.
To this day I don’t think we shot that bird. After the first day I was just watching and “guiding”.
I went to court with all my videos, and the judge dismissed it all and told the GW we had a big county to be concentrating all his time on one pond. Without video I’d probably had to have paid the fine.

Hey I had a similar event as you with a very over zealous warden years ago. Friends and I were duck hunting. My buddy needed a wood duck to fill out for the evening and when a few came busting over the islands he took a quick shot and two fell. As I walked out to grab the birds I heard a boat motor fire up. The warden came over and she said that she had watched us all afternoon and she needed to check us and we were over our limit. All our birds except the extra were in the boat and my buddy had put the it in the bird box in the blind. He stated to her that he took the one shot and two dropped. He wsn't trying to hide anything but figured instead of the bird going to waste he was going to keep it overnight in the bird box and claim it as part of his bag for the morning.

She was going to give him a ticket for overbagging which he technically did and give me a ticket for handling an illegally taken bird. Hunter code of ethics is to retrieve at all costs any game taken. We had done that and were trying to be responsible young hunters by keeping the bird from going to waste. We ended up in court and the judge threw my ticket out and only charged my buddy $20 dollars for a court fee. Had we been given an opportunity to self report the over bag I know that my buddy would have done so. But because she was on top of us so fast she never gave him the opportunity to say anything to her. She was later relieved of duties in our county and sent to another for her own protection. Not that she did anything wrong in this case per se but we were all under the age of 18 and just doing what we thought was the right thing to do under the circumstances.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6731309
01/16/20 04:12 PM
01/16/20 04:12 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
Got a ticket for trespassing on a river while trapping. I knew I was in the right, so went to court. The prosecution ultimately got the Assistant Attorney general for the state of montana to assist on the case. He looked the case over, said "You're right. You do have a right to trap the rivers in Montana". Case dismissed.

Re: To fight a ticket or not. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6731336
01/16/20 04:47 PM
01/16/20 04:47 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
I've fought a few in my day and it always turned out well. Usually, you just admit you screwed up to the judge and he gives you a minimum fine with no points. Usually 5mph over. All of this providing you are a gentleman in court and during the stop, didn't give anyone a bunch of crap.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread