No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730953
01/16/20 09:54 AM
01/16/20 09:54 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Liberal whiners? Who is doing all the whining in this thread? How many of those whiners have paid the money and put in the time to get the degrees that teachers must?
We make some of our most life shaping decisions when we are in our late teens(when most are at their dumbest). Some seem to think they made the wrong choices for themselves and now whine and complain because they feel others have it better.

Some states do, I feel, pay their teacher fairly. Some pay them much less than somebody doing something that is so important, with at least a 4 year degree, too little. And maybe some teachers are overpaid. Elected folks make that decision.

There are some poor teachers just there are poor employees in any field.
And if you believe most teachers are liberals trying to push an agenda, you have bought into a huge lie promoted by media source and other groups that truly are pushing an agenda and have many brainwashed to a point to which they can no longer look at anything objectively. These folks have allowed their capacity to think for themselves to atrophy.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: bblwi] #6730963
01/16/20 10:03 AM
01/16/20 10:03 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by bblwi
Then in KY why are the teachers being demeaned when they don't even have any voice in their compensation package? It sounds like the problem lies elsewhere and that means the solution lies elsewhere. So non teachers are complaining about teachers getting paid too much when the people who set their pay are not teachers? Sounds like there are far greater issues to resolve but then that takes work and effort instead of complaining and whining.

Bryce

I'll tell you why . Because the 2-3 days they went to protest during the general assembly NO ONE was there to baby sit their kids during the day !!!!!!! Parents got mad

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730968
01/16/20 10:08 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by rex123
I made a mistake it is after 27 years in ky unless you are 55 and have 5 years of service credit. Please jump on it but i also noticed none of you will answer my other questions. And to my fellow KY what was wrong with the 401k statement ? Would not have bothered any teachers working just new hires?

WRONG AGAIN the current teachers and those who are already retired pensions were also going to be effected. The state want to decrease the current retirements(not sure the EXACT amount) by around 15% and tier them down every 5- 10 years

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730969
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Ya gotta hear the complaining that some parents do when we get a heavy snow. If school is cancelled half of them whine that they have to make arrangement for their kids day. When it's not cancelled, other(or sometimes the same)parents complain that the district is risking the lives of the students so that they don't have to make the day up later in the year.

Has whining become the national pastime in the US?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6730989
01/16/20 10:32 AM
01/16/20 10:32 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
But someone made the comment that Ky as a state was broke. LOL LOL yea ALL states are struggling but for you non Kentuckians listen to this. The same Gov that wanted to reform the pension plan CUT the taxes to the top 5 % of the income level by 15% . OK Listen close. The BIG horse racing spring sale started this past Monday (13th) , with a total of 1827 horses to be sold. Guess how much sales tax the state is going to receive from those sales? ZERO ZILCH NADA!! Yes the thourobred industry lobbied to exempt sales tax from race horses !!!!!!! Give the right congressman enough "campaign" money and they will hide any law inside another bill. But that's a rant for another day.

REX why are you not on here whining about the tax loop holes instead of slamming teachers for getting what they work for....

https://www.keeneland.com/media/news/keeneland-catalogs-1827-horses-2020-january-sale

http://www.kjeanrl.com/full-blog/2010/01/horse-sales-tax-exemption-good-for.html

Last edited by jbyrd63; 01/16/20 10:46 AM.
Re: TEACHERS [Re: Steven 49er] #6730999
01/16/20 10:39 AM
01/16/20 10:39 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
For sure.

I'm not necessarily sticking up for teachers but I don't believe the majority is overpaid. For sure not not the majority in the small school district my children attend.

I think the pensions got pretty generous with promises made on the backs of tax payers but that has been somewhat addressed here in MN.

I completely agree with you Steven.

The pension issues have not been addressed here in PA. We have a very powerful educators union and they own most of our politicians on both sides of the aisle. That is one of the reasons we have such an unfair school tax system and the reason the school taxes in some districts are insane.

Eh...wot?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731005
01/16/20 10:47 AM
01/16/20 10:47 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
The teachers union is pretty powerful here as well.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731030
01/16/20 11:20 AM
01/16/20 11:20 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
[Linked Image]

Report a post club - Non member

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731031
01/16/20 11:21 AM
01/16/20 11:21 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
[Linked Image]

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731039
01/16/20 11:30 AM
01/16/20 11:30 AM
MN
4fisher Offline
trapper
4fisher  Offline
trapper

MN
Good Morning,

I've been a member on this forum for a long time. I don't post often, but I do a lot of reading. After reading through this entire thread I decided I'd throw a comment or two out there. For the most part I'm not going to address any particular person or their post. Everybody has opinions and were are all entitled to that. I believe this topic got started with two questions, one concerning teacher salaries, the other 401k.

Yes, I am a teacher.

I'm not familiar with schools in KY and what their benefit plans are, so I'm not going to attempt to answer that. As far as wages/salaries are concerned, my thought is this. I think that some of it, if not a lot of it comes down to getting great, quality individuals to enter the teaching field. I teach in a small rural MN town. 24 years ago when I applied for the position I still hold today there were 168 applicants for that one position. I firmly believe there were some outstanding teachers among those applicants, I'm sure there were some not so great as well. Two years ago our district had four elementary positions open. For those four positions we had six applicants. I would like to believe there were some great candidates out of those six. But I would have to believe having more than just six candidates to go through could have been beneficial. I guess for me, the answer to the question is if wages were higher for starting teachers, maybe more qualified individuals would enter the field.

I also think it's interesting how many people, not all, view teachers as lazy, worthless, and not good at their jobs. I know this has been addressed on this thread, but look at any other occupation/profession out there. There's great workers and worthless workers. Through high school, college, and now my summers I have had many different jobs. And with every single job I've worked with hard working people and others that didn't deserve to have the job. quite often on this site I see inquires about taxidermists. All of us know a taxidermist, but when it comes time for you to have your trophy done you want the best one you can find. I would think people would want that for their kids.....the best, qualified teachers that are out there. If it means raising salaries to get them, so be it.

I have standards and a curriculum that I'm responsible for covering (please don't bash me about standards, I don't make the rules but I follow them because it's my job). I teach in a k-12 building and every teacher has standards they are responsible for teaching. Other than teaching those standards I have no idea what conversations take place in other classrooms. I'm simply not in there to hear what dIscussions are taking place. It always surprises me how individuals that have never set foot in their child's classroom know exactly what idiotic thoughts teachers are putting into their childs head. Yes, I do understand that you know because your child tells you so. No need to go into that with anymore detail.

I have way too many stories on what teachers do for kids outside of just teaching, and I have way to many stories about the baggage that kids bring to school with them everyday. Most people have no background knowledge of what schools are like today. I tell friends of mine that are not in the education field that if they did my job for a week, they'd be in jail.

Again, I'm not belittling any thoughts that were previously posted. I chose to be a teacher. It's what I do. All of us have our own stories about our lives. Decisions we've made, paths taken, jobs we've held or have. I'm not saying this in a condescending way, but life is all about choices. If teachers have a cushy job and the profession is easy and you have the ability to express your own beliefs and ways of thinking to influence the kids and young adults of our future, why didn't you choose to go down that road?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731046
01/16/20 11:40 AM
01/16/20 11:40 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline OP
trapper
rex123  Offline OP
trapper

KY.usa
I don't see where I was whining about anything just stating the other side of the coin. Like I said last night You have to stick up for teachers because your wife is one. And I hate to tell you this but This is America and I get to say my piece. Like I said last night calm down breath in and out take your meds and have a nice day. lol

Re: TEACHERS [Re: Dirt] #6731057
01/16/20 11:46 AM
01/16/20 11:46 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Dirt
I'm with the OP here. Seems the educators blame the poorly educated children coming out of public schools on bad parents. I'll agree with them. So paying teachers more or spending more money on education will not fix the problem of bad parents. So don't waste the money.

If money could cure the problem, our students here should rank in the top 10 in performance not the bottom 5. blush

This makes since to me. I agree with bad parenting as one of the issues with our youth, but face it, giving a teacher more money on this reason won't change a thing. I have some suggestions.

1. Like pcr2 said, the world needs ditch diggers too. This whole no child will be left behind crap has done nothing but take away accountability for parents and hurt the education of the kids who actually want to learn.

2. Get rid of the Union and make Teachers work like most, merit based raises on performance. Think about what tenor is. It gives the opportunity for bad Teachers to continue teaching our youth. Ridiculous!

3. Make it mandatory that Teachers cannot express their own personal political views, ideologies or agendas. They need to teach both sides of the coin fairly, unbiased, and let the kids decide for themselves.

4. Don't hogtie Teachers with a forced curriculum, this is a disservice to the kids. Let Teachers teach, some of my most enlightening moments in school was when the Teacher went off script. Wonderful debates and discussions led to free thinking.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731062
01/16/20 11:49 AM
01/16/20 11:49 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Excellent post 4fisher.

Eh...wot?

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731077
01/16/20 12:03 PM
01/16/20 12:03 PM
Owatonna,mn
C
Cibarius Offline
trapper
Cibarius  Offline
trapper
C

Owatonna,mn
In southern MN they base pension on your last few years income. There is a unspoken code that they use to work the system. Teachers coming up on retirement are given all extra hours and work to boost their income. It is not unusual for them to double their income in the final years then collect 60 to 80 percent of that the rest of their lives. Most teachers around here spend the summer at their lake home up north!

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731091
01/16/20 12:14 PM
01/16/20 12:14 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Wow some of you make teaching sound like a horrible job

None i know are ever looking for something else

Hmmmm

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731093
01/16/20 12:17 PM
01/16/20 12:17 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Good teachers, bad teachers, just like any other profession. Pay, some are under paid some should be fired. Pensions are the killer, ponsi scheme at best. Tax payers will be on the hook when the shortfall comes.

Re: TEACHERS [Re: atrapper] #6731103
01/16/20 12:25 PM
01/16/20 12:25 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by atrapper
Originally Posted by Dirt
I'm with the OP here. Seems the educators blame the poorly educated children coming out of public schools on bad parents. I'll agree with them. So paying teachers more or spending more money on education will not fix the problem of bad parents. So don't waste the money.

If money could cure the problem, our students here should rank in the top 10 in performance not the bottom 5. blush

For seven pages teachers, retired teachers, and spouses of teachers have been giving you first hand knowledge of how the system actually works or why some parts aren't working. Not what they hear on the news or what their cousins-friends-little sister says. No matter what you or the OP read, it isn't going to change your opinion on why teachers should be paid. But you or the OP have yet to offer a reasonable solution. You don't think teachers should be paid decent, they who or what do you expect to teach our kids? You don't want to give teachers anything them you may as well go down to the local McDonald's and start recruiting teachers there. So if the problem is bad parents then why rant on about how teachers shouldn't be paid well? Maybe this is more than an education problem. If you want to know why our students don't preform in the top 10 anymore, PLEASE go into a classroom and see what the current clientele is and the baggage they're carrying. Then come back with solutions to how we can help them. Honestly, academics are the least of the problems that most of these kids have.

I just posted some facts. I never said teachers were overpaid. Their pay is market driven. I tried to explain why teachers cannot be underpaid. There is no coorelation between what you pay teachers or spend on education and student achievement. Of course education is suppose to be about students not the teachers.

I've witnessed fifty years of fixing public education and believe it is not possible from the evidence.

Who is John Galt?
Re: TEACHERS [Re: Posco] #6731107
01/16/20 12:35 PM
01/16/20 12:35 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by Posco
I just looked it up and the median income for a high school teacher nationwide is $60,000 a year. The median household income nationwide almost mirrors that.

The average starting salary for a new teacher nationwide is close to $39,000.

It's closer to 90k , a least here anyways when you add salary and 30 k for benefits

Not a bad gig for as much time off there is

Most don't leave , and why would you with a union constantly raping the tax payers for money

Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731108
01/16/20 12:36 PM
01/16/20 12:36 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Good post 4fisher. I'll wager you're darn good at your profession.

(Both my parents were educators too and met at Western Oregon teachers' college in the 30's.)

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: TEACHERS [Re: rex123] #6731121
01/16/20 12:51 PM
01/16/20 12:51 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
I often thought that a good way to get Teachers to teach Students better, is to base their wage on Student passing grades.

Say a Teacher makes $50,000 a year and teaches 100 Students a day. Teachers work only 10 Months out of the year. July and August is Summer Vacation for most of them. So, that is $5,000.00 a month / 100 Students = $50.00 per Student. Now, let's say 20 % of those Students are failing. Each Month those 20 % are failing, the School deducts 20 % from the Teacher's Monthly Salary . That would take $1,000 out of the Teacher's paycheck each Month until those Students reach a Minimum passing grade. In some Schools in Buffalo , NY, more than 60 % of the Students are failing. Picture 60 % of a Teacher's paycheck being taken away each Month until those Students get passing grades!!!

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread