No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
FFG Jed Smith article #6731125
01/16/20 12:53 PM
01/16/20 12:53 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
Just read the article in FFG. I’ve never heard this version of Smith’s bear attack. Specifically where his party split and he was left with 2 comrades to watch over him while he healed up. (Sounding familiar). These two were killed by Indians while Smith hid in some brush. Forcing Smith to drag and crawl about for survival until another party of trappers rescues him.

The version I always heard was Jim Clyman had to stitch his ear back on, and his survival was touch and go, but after about ten days he recovered enough to travel with his party.

The first story sounds like a blending of Smith and Hugh Glass’s ordeal. And there is no mention of Jim Clyman at all. Who in his journal says Smith told him personally to sew him up as best he could. In Glass’s story he wasn’t able to communicate much at all. Two amazing frontier survival stories none the less, and no need to embellish either one. Before you call FFG and cancel your subscription, they simply reprinted from John Neihardt’s 1920 book. I personally would love to see a new column dedicated to the stories of the old LongHunter’s and Mountain Men every month.

Re: FFG Jed Smith article [Re: tomahawker] #6731130
01/16/20 12:58 PM
01/16/20 12:58 PM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
It was an entertaining read.

I am just diving into the mountain man period, having spent the last 10 years in the WI fur trade history.

I am looking forward to reading what primary sources are available.

No doubt those men were tough as nails, life and death weren't very far apart for them.

Re: FFG Jed Smith article [Re: tomahawker] #6731203
01/16/20 02:16 PM
01/16/20 02:16 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Looks like they are trying to boost some sales for a new book they are advertising.

Heck, I'm thinking about buying one!

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: FFG Jed Smith article [Re: tomahawker] #6731218
01/16/20 02:33 PM
01/16/20 02:33 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
I’m a book nut myself.

Re: FFG Jed Smith article [Re: tomahawker] #6731271
01/16/20 03:36 PM
01/16/20 03:36 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by tomahawker
Just read the article in FFG. I’ve never heard this version of Smith’s bear attack. Specifically where his party split and he was left with 2 comrades to watch over him while he healed up. (Sounding familiar). These two were killed by Indians while Smith hid in some brush. Forcing Smith to drag and crawl about for survival until another party of trappers rescues him.

The version I always heard was Jim Clyman had to stitch his ear back on, and his survival was touch and go, but after about ten days he recovered enough to travel with his party.

The first story sounds like a blending of Smith and Hugh Glass’s ordeal. And there is no mention of Jim Clyman at all. Who in his journal says Smith told him personally to sew him up as best he could. In Glass’s story he wasn’t able to communicate much at all. Two amazing frontier survival stories none the less, and no need to embellish either one. Before you call FFG and cancel your subscription, they simply reprinted from John Neihardt’s 1920 book. I personally would love to see a new column dedicated to the stories of the old LongHunter’s and Mountain Men every month.

I have read both Jedediah Smith's book and James Clyman's journals and neither one of them matched the account in the article. You are right it sounds like the author was confused between the Hugh Glass story and Jed Smith's attack.

Re: FFG Jed Smith article [Re: tomahawker] #6731422
01/16/20 06:17 PM
01/16/20 06:17 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
Hope they have more