No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house #6731220
01/16/20 02:35 PM
01/16/20 02:35 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
Been around 40 turkeys around here and a bald eagle killed one today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nevada bound
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731223
01/16/20 02:42 PM
01/16/20 02:42 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
I have no idea why it is showing the pictures sideways on here.On facebook it shows them upright.

Nevada bound
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731230
01/16/20 02:48 PM
01/16/20 02:48 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
They have to eat also. I have no problem with it.

** Your Vote can get things done. **

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731242
01/16/20 03:03 PM
01/16/20 03:03 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
The golden eagles in CA took their share of wild turkeys. I never saw a kill but I saw them hunting them. A young turkey would be easy pickins for any eagle.

I couldn't find it but I've seen a picture of a golden eagle with a drake mallard's head and neck in its beak.... the mallard looks like a young teal in the beak. Big birds.

Pete

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731287
01/16/20 03:54 PM
01/16/20 03:54 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
I watched a bald eagle take down a full grown goose in flight while I was goose hunting.

Nevada bound
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731289
01/16/20 03:56 PM
01/16/20 03:56 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Bruce T
I watched a bald eagle take down a full grown goose in flight while I was goose hunting.

That must have been something to see

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: 330-Trapper] #6731291
01/16/20 03:59 PM
01/16/20 03:59 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

It was.Sure wished I had a video camera.

Nevada bound
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731294
01/16/20 04:00 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Locally the eagles sure are getting thick. I now see nests even in marginal areas. They are all over my dead piles nowadays, too. Something I never saw years ago. They're getting to be like crows around here. Well alittle better but you get my drift.

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731296
ND
G
gwm Offline
trapper
gwm  Offline
trapper
G

ND
An immature golden eagle swooped for my turkey decoy in the badlands of North Dakota. It dove at the decoy with talons opened but must have realized it wasn't real as it didn't strike it or maybe it saw me. Wish I would had a camera to record it.

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731300
01/16/20 04:02 PM
01/16/20 04:02 PM
Minnesota
W
wheelers Offline

"Trap Shed Sheriff"
wheelers  Offline

"Trap Shed Sheriff"
W

Minnesota
Plenty of Turkeys around

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Getting There] #6731302
01/16/20 04:04 PM
01/16/20 04:04 PM
Iowa.
I
imissed Offline
trapper
imissed  Offline
trapper
I

Iowa.
Originally Posted by Getting There

X2

WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO TRAP!
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: 330-Trapper] #6731305
01/16/20 04:08 PM
01/16/20 04:08 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

The whole story was first the eagle tried to steal a goose I had shot.The goose landed in the water and was still flapping around when the eagle swooped down out of nowhere and landed on my goose.It was to heavy for him to fly off with so he was swimming headed to shore.I paddled my canoe up to him and the eagle let go and toke off flying.As the eagle did that I looked up and there was another goose swimming about 70 yards away.When the goose saw the eagle take of flying it panicked and started to fly about 4 feet above the lake.I got to watch the eagle zero in on the flying goose and knock him out of the air then pounce on it in the water.It was pretty amazing to watch.

Nevada bound
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Getting There] #6731310
01/16/20 04:14 PM
01/16/20 04:14 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA

Would you have a problem if the eagle at your dog or decided your grandchild looked like a fawn? I live in an area where the winter's are hard. Everything has to eat, and that includes the coyotes, fox and cats, who run out of food, because in the summer, all of these protected winged predators have killed off all the prey animals, as cold wet summers do not produce a great deal of prey species. So at Christmas I had a pair of coyotes slaughter four Canada geese I had as pets. It looked like Jack the Ripper..
The line about everything has to eat, includes rural people like myself who feed the rest of the non agricultural peoples. I lost over 1500 dollars worth of poultry and no one subsidized that, and the IRS still demands to get paid, like my fuel and electric company. It is when predators start eating my things and placing my life and family at financial risk, that the benevolent attitude disappeared long ago.

All predators kill something at least every other day. I am certain that dead turkey if it had a brain would take issue with a human condemning it to death, because everything has to eat.
If you read the works of John Boroughs (Father of Yosemite) and Theodore Roosevelt (Father of Yellowstone) they both as conservationists advocated the elimination of large predators in the United States, with just a few in Yellowstone. They advocated only keeping elk, deer, turkey and other animals which were of a benefit to humans. No one reads those founding conservationists works, but America was a much better place from 1890 to 1970 (Richard Nixon banned poison control of coyotes in the west.) American wildlife policy is a disaster. It raises predators, prices licenses so only the rich can afford to be outdoors, and disenfranchises Americans from their pursuits of happiness.

I in not any way mean any of this as a challenge or to pick a fight on here, but to have people think about the history and realities. If people think eagles are so wonderful killing turkeys, then next Thanksgiving don't have turkey as the eagle ate your turkey. Maybe the point would resonate better if people went hungry every few days for all the prey animals, which are millions that are slaughtered every year due to international treaties and current regulations which raise predators, as predators do not vote or call up the Fish and Game to complain.

I like to see my pheasants, turkeys, rabbits. What I don;t like to see is them bunched up on 20 below zero weather, having been moved out of their areas, because a coyote, horned owl or eagle is terrorizing them from their home. I do not raise wildlife or livestock to feed predators.

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731491
01/16/20 07:27 PM
01/16/20 07:27 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
That turkey's luck ran out today!

Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: Bruce T] #6731519
01/16/20 07:48 PM
01/16/20 07:48 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
I'm with star flakes. They're gettin too thick, predators need managed.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Eagle killed a turkey in front of my house [Re: star flakes] #6731559
01/16/20 08:25 PM
01/16/20 08:25 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by star flakes

Would you have a problem if the eagle at your dog or decided your grandchild looked like a fawn? I live in an area where the winter's are hard. Everything has to eat, and that includes the coyotes, fox and cats, who run out of food, because in the summer, all of these protected winged predators have killed off all the prey animals, as cold wet summers do not produce a great deal of prey species. So at Christmas I had a pair of coyotes slaughter four Canada geese I had as pets. It looked like Jack the Ripper..
The line about everything has to eat, includes rural people like myself who feed the rest of the non agricultural peoples. I lost over 1500 dollars worth of poultry and no one subsidized that, and the IRS still demands to get paid, like my fuel and electric company. It is when predators start eating my things and placing my life and family at financial risk, that the benevolent attitude disappeared long ago.

All predators kill something at least every other day. I am certain that dead turkey if it had a brain would take issue with a human condemning it to death, because everything has to eat.
If you read the works of John Boroughs (Father of Yosemite) and Theodore Roosevelt (Father of Yellowstone) they both as conservationists advocated the elimination of large predators in the United States, with just a few in Yellowstone. They advocated only keeping elk, deer, turkey and other animals which were of a benefit to humans. No one reads those founding conservationists works, but America was a much better place from 1890 to 1970 (Richard Nixon banned poison control of coyotes in the west.) American wildlife policy is a disaster. It raises predators, prices licenses so only the rich can afford to be outdoors, and disenfranchises Americans from their pursuits of happiness.

I in not any way mean any of this as a challenge or to pick a fight on here, but to have people think about the history and realities. If people think eagles are so wonderful killing turkeys, then next Thanksgiving don't have turkey as the eagle ate your turkey. Maybe the point would resonate better if people went hungry every few days for all the prey animals, which are millions that are slaughtered every year due to international treaties and current regulations which raise predators, as predators do not vote or call up the Fish and Game to complain.

I like to see my pheasants, turkeys, rabbits. What I don;t like to see is them bunched up on 20 below zero weather, having been moved out of their areas, because a coyote, horned owl or eagle is terrorizing them from their home. I do not raise wildlife or livestock to feed predators.

I disagree while I believe all animals including predators need to be controlled I could do with a lot fewer turkeys and rabbits around

You will talk about how predators have caused problems well here it has been the prey ie deer, Turkeys, rabbits ect that have been the problem

There really needs to be a balance, kill off all the predators and the pray becomes overpopulated, don’t control the the predators and the prey vanishes

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread