No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Banning Guns Leads To..... #6731514
01/16/20 07:45 PM
01/16/20 07:45 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Increase in knifing.

BBC English Knife Crimes

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731518
01/16/20 07:48 PM
01/16/20 07:48 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
There were 14,135 offences in the year to September 2019 - the most since the data was first compiled in 2007.

When possession offences involving other weapons were added, the total was almost 22,300 - the most since 2009.

This week it was reported Boris Johnson will lead a new cabinet committee looking at ways to tackle the crime.

It comes after data released by the Office for National Statistics in October revealed police-recorded offences involving a knife or sharp instrument hit a record high in the year to June - up 7% on the previous 12 months to 44,076.

The latest MoJ figures show that for most offenders (71%) this was their first crime of this kind.

According to the report, offenders are now more likely to be handed an immediate jail sentence for knife and weapon offences, and for longer.

In the year to September, 38% of knife and offensive weapon offences resulted in an immediate custodial sentence compared with 23% for the same period in 2009.

The average length of prison sentences also rose over the same period, from six to eight months, the document said.

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said the record number of knife possession offences could reflect a greater use of police stop-and-search powers, as well as a rise in the number of people carrying knives.

'Murderers are created'
Jonathan McPhillips, 28, was killed after being stabbed in the chest on a north London high street in 2017.

His mother, Michelle, said he had been trying to protect a teenager he knew who was being attacked by a gang when he was stabbed near Islington Town Hall.

The father-of-two, known as JJ, died in hospital four days later, on 28 February.

Michelle, who now campaigns against knife violence, said tougher sentences - including automatic jail sentences for carrying knives - and more police officers were needed to turn the tide against knife crime.

Young people also need to better understand the wide-reaching consequences of knife attacks, she says.

"They don't understand. It's not just the victim's family that are affected - it's the perpetrator's family, too. They feel guilty that they've given birth to a murderer, but no one gives birth to a murderer - murderers are created in our society."

No one has been convicted over Jonathan's killing.

A case against a man accused of the fatal stabbing was dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service in 2018 after it decided there was not a realistic prospect of conviction.

But Michelle said she would continue to fight for justice for her son.

"I'm not going away. I won't fade into the background."

'Complex causes'
Barnardo's chief executive Javed Khan said: "We need to tackle the root causes and understand why those involved carry knives.

"Increasing the number and length of sentences can only be part of the solution, as this may not deter young people who are suffering a poverty of hope.

"The new government urgently needs to work with charities, education, health, youth workers, the criminal justice system and local communities to find long-term solutions, so vulnerable children have a reason to turn away from crime."

On Wednesday, the Times reported that Mr Johnson had ordered all Whitehall departments to take action on tackling crime.

According to the paper, the prime minister told ministers every department should consider itself a criminal justice department as part of a drive to look at the "complex causes of crime", which would involve long-term reforms to improve health, social care, youth services and education.

'Little confidence'
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said there was "no evidence" in the data the government's approach to tackling knife crime was having a positive effect.

"Rising knife crime undermines all the Tory claims on law and order. Unfortunately, until they tackle the crises they created through cuts to policing, schools, to mental health and drug services, there can be little confidence of any major improvement," the Labour frontbencher added.

Justice minister Chris Philp said the government was recruiting 20,000 more police officers, replacing those lost over the last decade, was extending stop-and-search powers and ensuring the most violent offenders were kept in prison for longer.

"These figures should serve as a stark warning to those carrying knives - you are more likely to be jailed, and for longer, than at any point in the last decade," he added.

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731546
01/16/20 08:12 PM
01/16/20 08:12 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Facts that you never hear about around the world.

**Any Vote is better than not Voting.**

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Getting There] #6731574
01/16/20 08:39 PM
01/16/20 08:39 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Getting There
Facts that you never hear about around the world.

**Any Vote is better than not Voting.**

It was just on the news......

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731578
01/16/20 08:42 PM
01/16/20 08:42 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
More violence.

Nevada bound
Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731592
01/16/20 08:49 PM
01/16/20 08:49 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
Originally Posted by Pike River

'Complex causes'
Barnardo's chief executive Javed Khan (Good, solid, Anglo Saxon name, right there!) said: "We need to tackle the root causes and understand why those involved carry knives."

Well, perhaps because it's always been second nature to Somali's, Pakistanis and those boys from the Balkans?

I, obviously, don't know what you people think of the " BBC "? But, for a news source? Think " CNN ".

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731605
01/16/20 09:11 PM
01/16/20 09:11 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
The Muslims in Great Britain love throwing acid in people's faces too, especially women, who are their favorite targets.

Keith

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: KeithC] #6731625
01/16/20 09:34 PM
01/16/20 09:34 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by KeithC
The Muslims in Great Britain love throwing acid in people's faces too, especially women, who are their favorite targets.

Keith

...Cult of Peace right !!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: KeithC] #6731626
01/16/20 09:35 PM
01/16/20 09:35 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
Absolutely spot on, Keith! I'd forgotten That one!

Thankfully, I'm now on the outer edge of their range, and on the outer range of my own mortality! Though they're already building up a scary level of presence, in my nearest, tiny town!

London's finished now. Realistically. I've been there, at night. And, believe me; Even if ye visiting the most up market streets, during daylight? Once night falls, and ye hear the shouting and screaming, in foreign tongues. Feet pounding up and down the road outside? Ye stay in that hotel!

Over there, of course, ye not allowed guns. Only the savages have those. And knives. And machetes. And acid.

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731693
01/16/20 10:18 PM
01/16/20 10:18 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Not allowed to carry per company policy, but nowhere does it say anything about a blade. My sons bought me a nice auto Benchmade a couple Christmases ago. It goes everywhere. And legal in our State. Will it protect against a gun? Probably not, but I’m not dying on my knees begging for my life either.

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6731735
01/16/20 10:46 PM
01/16/20 10:46 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
I have a buddy from high school that lives in ipswich ( just outside of london) and is on the fire dept there -- he was over this last summer and we were talking about it -- he was saying there are quite a few acid attacks over there besides the knifings. He was more concerned with that than the stabbings.

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Wanna Be] #6731741
01/16/20 10:50 PM
01/16/20 10:50 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Not allowed to carry per company policy, but nowhere does it say anything about a blade. My sons bought me a nice auto Benchmade a couple Christmases ago. It goes everywhere. And legal in our State. Will it protect against a gun? Probably not, but I’m not dying on my knees begging for my life either.

Wanna Be:
They do not give those knives away!!!!!! Not many under $150.00 dollars.

**Do not forget to Vote in your local elections.*

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6732116
01/17/20 09:46 AM
01/17/20 09:46 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Keith

There's a great reason why the carrying of protection is prominent! Too many English/British being hurt with the thought that a "Bobbie" will help.

The Parliament ought to rethink the situation in a "LOGICAL" sense. A good .45acp to the body of those terrorists is almost too good.

If they care about their citizens/subjects, let them be armed.

Last edited by seniortrap; 01/17/20 09:47 AM.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6732134
01/17/20 10:01 AM
01/17/20 10:01 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
London is implementing knife control too know. They have a whole page on their governmental website about all the rules. England's knife rules

You can't carry a knife longer than 3" without "good reason", and you'll have to go to court where a judge will decide whether your reason was good enough.

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: H2ORat] #6732136
01/17/20 10:03 AM
01/17/20 10:03 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by H2ORat
I have a buddy from high school that lives in ipswich ( just outside of london) and is on the fire dept there -- he was over this last summer and we were talking about it -- he was saying there are quite a few acid attacks over there besides the knifings. He was more concerned with that than the stabbings.

I would be too!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: loosegoose] #6732139
01/17/20 10:05 AM
01/17/20 10:05 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by loosegoose
London is implementing knife control too know. They have a whole page on their governmental website about all the rules. England's knife rules

You can't carry a knife longer than 3" without "good reason", and you'll have to go to court where a judge will decide whether your reason was good enough.

And they are now selling square tipped knives, to reduce stabbing.

Makes you shake your head.

Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: k snow] #6732373
01/17/20 12:57 PM
01/17/20 12:57 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by loosegoose

And they are now selling square tipped knives, to reduce stabbing.

Makes you shake your head.

You have to admit a square tipped knife would work good for cleaning your fingernails.
crazy

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: 330-Trapper] #6732409
01/17/20 01:32 PM
01/17/20 01:32 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by H2ORat

I would be too!

I've worked at this one job with a type of paint stripper. It is seriously nasty. Just one tiny splatter will burn like crazy. I can't even imagine getting hit with it intentionally. I got a single tiny splatter once. Just once. Now ,full gloves , faceshield and tons of caution. I'll take the knife attack. Way less painful.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Banning Guns Leads To..... [Re: Pike River] #6732489
01/17/20 02:59 PM
01/17/20 02:59 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho