No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735191
01/18/20 11:59 PM
01/18/20 11:59 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
....the thing is, Some people Care Jim, even about you.
But you just like to twist.

Read it for Yourself!
The Endings the Best

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: James] #6735196
01/19/20 12:02 AM
01/19/20 12:02 AM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
Originally Posted by James
Does the Bible say you can't ask for forgiveness after you die?

Jim

You can ask but the consequence remains the same.

James 1: 19-20
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735214
01/19/20 12:10 AM
01/19/20 12:10 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I'm not twisting anything. It's what I believe.

Look, my son is different. He had a conversion experience in his late teens. He says Jesus literally came into his heart. I don't understand his experience, but nothing like that has ever happened to me.

So I'm left with my rational mind. The mind God--if He exists--gave me. Blind faith is just not part of my make-up. I'm not much on believing something just because someone else tells me it's true.

It makes no sense to me that God would send His Son to be tortured and killed to wash away the sins of believers. It would take a pretty awful God to demand a blood sacrifice of a human being. I don't think I'd want to spend eternity with such a god. Please explain what sense there is in such a doctrine.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: J Staton] #6735217
01/19/20 12:11 AM
01/19/20 12:11 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by J Staton
Does the Bible say you can't ask for forgiveness after you die?

Jim

Even if I'm genuinely repentant?

Hey! Who are you to presume what God will do with me, anyway?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735230
01/19/20 12:20 AM
01/19/20 12:20 AM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
I'm sure a death row inmate is awful repentant at zero hour....but the consequence remains the same.

James 1: 19-20
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735237
01/19/20 12:30 AM
01/19/20 12:30 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
My view on all of this is remarkably similar to yours James. I am a believer. Just not a believer of religion. No disrespect intended to those that are.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: beaverpeeler] #6735277
01/19/20 01:31 AM
01/19/20 01:31 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.

Look, my son is different. He had a conversion experience in his late teens. He says Jesus literally came into his heart. I don't understand his experience, but nothing like that has ever happened to me.

So I'm left with my rational mind. The mind God--if He exists--gave me. Blind faith is just not part of my make-up. I'm not much on believing something just because someone else tells me it's true.

It makes no sense to me that God would send His Son to be tortured and killed to wash away the sins of believers. It would take a pretty awful God to demand a blood sacrifice of a human being. I don't think I'd want to spend eternity with such a god. Please explain what sense there is in such a doctrine.

Jim

James
You wouldn't believe it anyway.

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: James] #6735330
01/19/20 07:25 AM
01/19/20 07:25 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Jim

Good morning James. Your name has rich biblical heritage, as it was James, the younger brother of Jesus, an Apostle who wrote the Book of James, part of the Biblical Canon we now have. It's a book about sinners trying to convince other sinners (and God) that their sins are "good" sins.

I can appreciate your candor and your training. My dad is a retired attorney and we have great discussions about a host of topics from hunting, to family, to trapping, to faith, etc. A couple comments about your rational mind... we all have one of those and we each use our mind to figure out as best we can, a host of questions.

You state it makes no sense to you that God would send His Son to be tortured and killed for the reasons you list. TMan is a tricky forum to answer deeper questions such as this, but the answer may be simpler than we can imagine. the Bible, the Book inspired from God, written by human authors, is a book about God, and it is a must read cover to cover. Not for self help (it helps). Not for learning about humankind (it wasn't written about us). Not for figuring out how to live a Godly life (it describes Holy and righteous ways). It's the book about God. The bible is a narrative, and as such, needs to start on page 1 and then flip the page and read on... to understand as best we can, what it's all about. You can't open any book, read three pages and know, plot, protagonist, antagonist, setting, and on and on. Can't happen. Don't understand it. We weren't taught to read a book or watch movies or even listen to song lyrics that way. Why do we open a bible and slice a piece and digest it? Probably won't land square on the proper interpretation if we do read the narrative in that manner. I can open any book, not know what it's about, and give you my opinion on that slice, right? And I'll be wrong most often because you'll tell me that I don't know the first part of the book's narrative. Make sense?

James, when you attended law school, did the professor say, "Alright class, I want you to read 1100 pages, but I want you to start at page 567 and tell me what pages 567-589 tells us? Of course not. The prof said read the book! And then you figured out much of what you learned as you did. That's the way to figure out the Bible's narrative. Page by page starting at page one of God's story about Creation, man created in the image of God, Satan shows up as a beast and then man's sin against God at the garden, and off we go. Like someone mentioned here on TMan, the book has a great ending (for some).

And the answers to the questions you ask have been provided in it. I'm in a wondrous course at seminary currently on Old Testament History and the professor is passionate about the course of action, we as students at DTS (Teach the Word, Love Well as our motto) are to take. Stop reading the Bible in bits and pieces as if we walked into the movie theater in the middle of the show, and try to figure out "What is going on here?" That's not how it was written. Only in the last two centuries has the Bible even been taught that way.

You will see why and how Christ was killed and for what reason, but a sentence on the topic, misses the richness and vastness of our Lord, whose narrative is much more rational than we are. I'd point out, that the fact that He rose from the grave, after persecution and death on a cross by the Romans and religious entitled of that time, is the game changer. When a dead person walks, eats, is touched by many, and then is witnessed ascending into the clouds by several who will die later, not repenting of which they saw, but rather further professing in it... rationality begins to appear valid my friend. That's no small ordeal. No one before or since has pulled that off! "Hey, I just saw a dead man, that guy the Pharisees were bickering about and the guy who the Romans crucified.... he's alive! I tell you, many of us saw him! Well, he was. And then right before our eyes, he lifts up into the sky! I've got to tell people this story!" And here we are, 2000 years later, God's created, living the pages that are scribed in the biblical narrative. All has come true thus far. And if all continues to come true (I and others believe it will) we're siding with the one who made us from dust, and rose from the dead to prove His love for us. When those of that day called for a warrior Messiah, He shows up as the Lamb (meek). Interesting how we wouldn't do it that way, but not God.

I know you read countless pages in law school, prepared briefs, poured over tort law cases, and on an on. The biblical narrative is much more entertaining than all that James. There's real life drama weaved in ever thread. Plus, understanding the whole of God's story, provided to us, has a better outcome for the faithful, than any court case, civil trial, or punitive award here on earth.

God sent His only Son so that His Creation, created for His Son, would someday be made whole again as it was in the beginning. Perfect. It's the greatest love story ever told. Don't fog the lens with our perspective on it all.

FYI- you live in my favorite state sir!
Alaska - what splendor!

Blessings
Mark

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735369
01/19/20 08:17 AM
01/19/20 08:17 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

James,

has your rational mind ever proven to be wrong, or you misjudged a situation? (careful answering this...we can go back in the archives)

so, your rational mind is not perfect in determining how things will turn out, is it?

Last edited by white marlin; 01/19/20 09:44 AM.
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735372
01/19/20 08:24 AM
01/19/20 08:24 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735377
01/19/20 08:31 AM
01/19/20 08:31 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

judge lest not ye be judged.

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: west river rogue] #6735380
01/19/20 08:33 AM
01/19/20 08:33 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted by west river rogue
judge lest not ye be judged.

or SOMETHING like that....

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: James] #6735387
01/19/20 08:44 AM
01/19/20 08:44 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted by J Staton

Even if I'm genuinely repentant? Jim

that would negate the faith aspect of Faith, wouldn't it?

there are numerous places in the Bible where Jesus chastises people for not having enough Faith.

Last edited by white marlin; 01/19/20 09:35 AM.
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735393
01/19/20 08:54 AM
01/19/20 08:54 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Ignorance (or outright rejection) of The Law does not absolve one of its consequences, does it, Jim?

can an American who claims Sovereign Citizen status ignore our Laws with impunity??

why would it be any different with God's Law?

Last edited by white marlin; 01/19/20 09:37 AM.
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735398
01/19/20 09:01 AM
01/19/20 09:01 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

lol yeah,,judge not lest ye be judged...brain glitch

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735400
01/19/20 09:03 AM
01/19/20 09:03 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Prediction: James will ignore my questions to him...

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735536
01/19/20 10:03 AM
01/19/20 10:03 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
Seams like I remember a story about some crumbs and a rich man and this poor guy and something about a drop of water. Freely it is given and freely it can be accepted or denied it's just that simple I would hope that at some point between writing and passing a revelation to the truth came.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735558
01/19/20 10:13 AM
01/19/20 10:13 AM
Indiana
cattails Offline
trapper
cattails  Offline
trapper

Indiana
C S Lewis said it best in my opinion.. Using the bible to explain god is similar to.....trying to explain the grand canyon to someone by showing them a picture of it. I personally believe we a far more spiritually connected than we understand or can comprehend. Listening to humans trying to explain the bible to me is mentally exhausting. Again...my opinion

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: Vatrapper63] #6735843
01/19/20 01:33 PM
01/19/20 01:33 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Mark, sorry this couldn't be longer. I'm in a hotel room in Freeport, Maine, waiting for the shuttle to take me to the airport to fly to Denver. And I've caught some kind of flu that's going around the hotel.

I did read the Bible from beginning to end when I was a teenager. I was trying to figure out if it made any sense. Some parts did make sense to me and some did not. Anyway, Christian ministers and priests tend to read their own favored passages and avoid the ones that make little sense or would be embarrassing.

Sorry I can't type more right now,

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Professors self written obituary - Wow [Re: white marlin] #6735851
01/19/20 01:44 PM
01/19/20 01:44 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by white marlin
Ignorance (or outright rejection) of The Law does not absolve one of its consequences, does it, Jim?

can an American who claims Sovereign Citizen status ignore our Laws with impunity??

why would it be any different with God's Law?

I'm tempted not to reply in order to fulfill your prediction.\

Ignorance may not absolve one, but may mitigate the consequences, depending on the circumstances.

I follow God's law mostly, except for the first two Commandments, which are thought crimes.

Do YOU follow all of Jesus' teachings? Have you given up everything you own to follow Him?

And that is all I have time for.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread