No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
City folk lost in the woods #6735868
01/19/20 02:02 PM
01/19/20 02:02 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline OP
trapper
Cragar  Offline OP
trapper

New York border
I gotta laugh. Just heard a fire dept call for a woman lost in the woods in my city. We are lucky enough to have a fairly large park for a city. It is just a couple acres larger than Central Park in NYC. Mostly wooded , nice place.

The woman called for help , lost. OK , she called on a cell phone. That means she has a signal , there is a cell tower tucked away on a hill in the park.

If you have a signal , that means you can also access Google maps which will get you to were you are going.

Also , there is fresh 1 1/2" snow from last night. You can find your way back tracing your footsteps.

This happens several times a year........

NRA benefactor member
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6735877
01/19/20 02:08 PM
01/19/20 02:08 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Some time you just can't help stupid.

* Voters can make the difference.*

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6735881
01/19/20 02:10 PM
01/19/20 02:10 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Hopefully this incident will keep her in the city where she belongs

Report a post club - Non member

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6735890
01/19/20 02:16 PM
01/19/20 02:16 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline OP
trapper
Cragar  Offline OP
trapper

New York border
The funny thing is if you intentionally go to the most remote area of the park , the furthest you can get from a paved road is about 1/4 of a mile.

She found someone else in the park as she was on the phone with dispatch , they lead her to a road. She got there before the FD showed up. They checked her out real quick , no problems. Gave her a ride back to her car.

NRA benefactor member
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736003
01/19/20 03:45 PM
01/19/20 03:45 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
She would probably look back at her tracks and think someone was following her. laugh

Nevada bound
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736050
01/19/20 04:15 PM
01/19/20 04:15 PM
N.Y.,E. Adks
TRADER TUT Offline
trapper
TRADER TUT  Offline
trapper

N.Y.,E. Adks
With what little brain she has.She look at the foot prints and report a stalker. Tut

I Farm The Forest
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: AntiGov] #6736051
01/19/20 04:16 PM
01/19/20 04:16 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by AntiGov

wink

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736079
01/19/20 04:33 PM
01/19/20 04:33 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.

Last edited by 20scout; 01/19/20 04:33 PM.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736080
01/19/20 04:34 PM
01/19/20 04:34 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Come on give this woman a break. If those uneducated boobs like Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Kit Carson and the Indians can do it, just by being evil men, then surely nature will show the way to a university educated woman, who is there to commune with mother Ghia, as Ghia unleashes rabies and mange to cull her children, and wolves eat moose calves, cougars the elk and coyotes the fawns, as her cell phone battery is produced by African slave labor, her cell phone is produced by Chinese slave labor and her Microsoft program is produced by Indian slave labor, as nature knows she is pure of heart, like all the children of nature, and by instinct she will know the way, just like voting for Obama, Bernie, Warren and AOC is by instinct the correct way to vote, as they tell her she can have everything for free. Nature is a beautiful thing as Disney and the Nature Channel have shown us.

Just a thought though, if these nature women are single, maybe the New York State Trappers association can round up a few single Trappers who can rescue these lost souls or at least by the first date learn that it would have been more fun to turn a wolverine loose barehanded than to have made the first date.

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736104
01/19/20 04:55 PM
01/19/20 04:55 PM

R
Rubee
Unregistered
Rubee
Unregistered
R

I feel just as lost in a city

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: 330-Trapper] #6736109
01/19/20 05:01 PM
01/19/20 05:01 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by AntiGov

wink

Unless.....they are willing to give the deep dark woods a go .

Years ago a woman I worked around, told me she was raised in a CA big city . Since moving out to Idaho, where I lived at the time, just the trees along town frightened her- too "woodsy" in look for her. She had never been in true wild land . Not once.

She couldn't fathom how anyone could enjoy the wilds of the outback for a picnic, much less two weeks , or more, on walkabout in wilderness areas .

I invited her to the woolly wild lands for a two day outing . A real tent to sleep in...plenty of firearm protection along , all the amenities to make camp enjoyable . The very thought froze her mind, though she kept being intrigued and asking questions , which I answered in short, calm, matter of fact fashion....no big deal....

Her boyfriend, a fireman, was exuberant that she was wanting to try . " I know you have enough guns for safety ", he whispered to me with a wink...

She wanted to see beauty in places that she had only seen in photos , and in this case, would never see even in popular photos , in person.

I told her we would make it fun . Anytime she felt overwhelmed I promised we would break camp and leave to the truck....the door left completely open in choice.

She knew and trusted me so that she would finally want to go .

She was whiter than normal on the drive out ...upon arriving , she stood open mouthed speechless as a wee lass staring up at the silent beauty of very tall cedars and hemlocks . I chose a most majestic old growth stand of my favorite conifers ....you just have to see them in person to feel present in the moment.

A comfy camp, a few short hikes that afternoon, good fresh water, great supper , beverage of choice, helped her relax , to smile at the campfire, making s'mores to eat smile and recall the beauties seen from the day . She hardly slept , but was overall comfortable and seemed to like my rifle and pistol better and better , as the artistic wonders they were decorating the inside of the tent.

Next day, she became very much braver and we trekked up the switchback of a mountain and sat in silent awestruck glory at the uninterrupted ranges marching away to the horizon. Not a road or building in sight...only the spot of blue way below of our tent in the valley. " Photos don't even touch this.." is all she finally said.

You could feel the change in her countenance after that...months later.. confidence and happiness coloured her in a new tone dimension.

She told everyone who would stand still long enough of her life alerting event.

" NOW, you're ready for a month on walkabout with lions and tigers and BEARS , in the hunting season !" smile For a second that old panic look swept across her face...then a big smile , seeing I was basically joking -for now...she knew she would work up to some more goals met.

Been a long time since I've thought of this event.

Wish they were all wanting to try , as she was....when someone's education and mind expansion changes for better, they in turn, can enforce much good .

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736110
01/19/20 05:02 PM
01/19/20 05:02 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I can get lost in the big city...…. could be a life threatening situation as I am allergic to asphalt and people.... that's lots of people !! smile smile smile

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736132
01/19/20 05:18 PM
01/19/20 05:18 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
I know the frustration happens all the time here. There is a very popular hiking trail in the Sandia mountains called La Luz. Just last night hikers got lost and called S&R. Here's the thing if you hike up you go to the Crest which has a paved road on the east side, a restaurant and a tram going down the west face to a parking lot with a restaurant. If you hike down (west side) you're in the city. If you hike north or south you go directly into small towns. On this trail at 1830hrs (when S&R was called) you can clearly see city lights and the homes at the base of the mountain and the parking lot for said trail.

Last edited by adam m; 01/19/20 05:20 PM. Reason: Stupid phone put wrong words
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: star flakes] #6736135
01/19/20 05:20 PM
01/19/20 05:20 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline OP
trapper
Cragar  Offline OP
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by star flakes
Come on give this woman a break. If those uneducated boobs like Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Kit Carson and the Indians can do it, just by being evil men, then surely nature will show the way to a university educated woman, who is there to commune with mother Ghia, as Ghia unleashes rabies and mange to cull her children, and wolves eat moose calves, cougars the elk and coyotes the fawns, as her cell phone battery is produced by African slave labor, her cell phone is produced by Chinese slave labor and her Microsoft program is produced by Indian slave labor, as nature knows she is pure of heart, like all the children of nature, and by instinct she will know the way, just like voting for Obama, Bernie, Warren and AOC is by instinct the correct way to vote, as they tell her she can have everything for free. Nature is a beautiful thing as Disney and the Nature Channel have shown us.

Just a thought though, if these nature women are single, maybe the New York State Trappers association can round up a few single Trappers who can rescue these lost souls or at least by the first date learn that it would have been more fun to turn a wolverine loose barehanded than to have made the first date.

Great post , love it.

NRA benefactor member
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736146
01/19/20 05:29 PM
01/19/20 05:29 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Cragar
I gotta laugh. Just heard a fire dept call for a woman lost in the woods in my city. We are lucky enough to have a fairly large park for a city. It is just a couple acres larger than Central Park in NYC. Mostly wooded , nice place.

The woman called for help , lost. OK , she called on a cell phone. That means she has a signal , there is a cell tower tucked away on a hill in the park.

If you have a signal , that means you can also access Google maps which will get you to were you are going.

Also , there is fresh 1 1/2" snow from last night. You can find your way back tracing your footsteps.

Unreal

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: 330-Trapper] #6736156
01/19/20 05:32 PM
01/19/20 05:32 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Cragar

Unreal

The fun part is when the city rescuers also get lost themselves.

Nevada bound
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Sharon] #6736158
01/19/20 05:33 PM
01/19/20 05:33 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline OP
trapper
Cragar  Offline OP
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Sharon

Unless.....they are willing to give the deep dark woods a go .

Years ago a woman I worked around, told me she was raised in a CA big city . Since moving out to Idaho, where I lived at the time, just the trees along town frightened her- too "woodsy" in look for her. She had never been in true wild land . Not once.

She couldn't fathom how anyone could enjoy the wilds of the outback for a picnic, much less two weeks , or more, on walkabout in wilderness areas .

I invited her to the woolly wild lands for a two day outing . A real tent to sleep in...plenty of firearm protection along , all the amenities to make camp enjoyable . The very thought froze her mind, though she kept being intrigued and asking questions , which I answered in short, calm, matter of fact fashion....no big deal....

Her boyfriend, a fireman, was exuberant that she was wanting to try . " I know you have enough guns for safety ", he whispered to me with a wink...

She wanted to see beauty in places that she had only seen in photos , and in this case, would never see even in popular photos , in person.

I told her we would make it fun . Anytime she felt overwhelmed I promised we would break camp and leave to the truck....the door left completely open in choice.

She knew and trusted me so that she would finally want to go .

She was whiter than normal on the drive out ...upon arriving , she stood open mouthed speechless as a wee lass staring up at the silent beauty of very tall cedars and hemlocks . I chose a most majestic old growth stand of my favorite conifers ....you just have to see them in person to feel present in the moment.

A comfy camp, a few short hikes that afternoon, good fresh water, great supper , beverage of choice, helped her relax , to smile at the campfire, making s'mores to eat smile and recall the beauties seen from the day . She hardly slept , but was overall comfortable and seemed to like my rifle and pistol better and better , as the artistic wonders they were decorating the inside of the tent.

Next day, she became very much braver and we trekked up the switchback of a mountain and sat in silent awestruck glory at the uninterrupted ranges marching away to the horizon. Not a road or building in sight...only the spot of blue way below of our tent in the valley. " Photos don't even touch this.." is all she finally said.

You could feel the change in her countenance after that...months later.. confidence and happiness coloured her in a new tone dimension.

She told everyone who would stand still long enough of her life alerting event.

" NOW, you're ready for a month on walkabout with lions and tigers and BEARS , in the hunting season !" smile For a second that old panic look swept across her face...then a big smile , seeing I was basically joking -for now...she knew she would work up to some more goals met.

Been a long time since I've thought of this event.

Wish they were all wanting to try , as she was....when someone's education and mind expansion changes for better, they in turn, can enforce much good .

Another great post , and an eye opener for your guest.

I've been deep in the north Maine woods. Been there hunting and fishing , not a problem for me , even with zero cell service. It's actually better with no cell service , peaceful. One of the guides in camp was telling us about a client he had guided one year on a hunt. They took him in on a 2 track about 200 yards from the paved road. The guy was given a stand there for his hunt. He was terrified of being that deep into the woods. After the guide left him there , he snuck out on the 2 track to the point he could see the paved road. He didn't do to good on his hunt.

NRA benefactor member
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736179
01/19/20 05:41 PM
01/19/20 05:41 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
The feet of the city folk never touch the dirt , ever ..........concrete , pavement , flooring ..........

I love the fact the most liberals choose to live in big - hole cities ...........Can you imagine if they were all out tromping around in the woods?

Report a post club - Non member

Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: Cragar] #6736226
01/19/20 06:14 PM
01/19/20 06:14 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Panic due to the inability to think/figure things out on their own. Pretty common in todays society.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: City folk lost in the woods [Re: ] #6736239
01/19/20 06:24 PM
01/19/20 06:24 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper