No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736264
01/19/20 06:40 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Wanna Be, some won't be changed, but there are many who have never heard our side of the fence, and will be intrigued by the new information they are hearing, and will be forced to make a decision based on this unheard of info the now have. That's the goal.

Psalm 34:6
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736266
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
trapper
F

AK
Wanna Be, some won't be changed, but there are many who have never heard our side of the fence, and will be intrigued by the new information they are hearing, and will be forced to make a decision based on this unheard of info they now have. That's the goal.

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736316
01/19/20 07:17 PM
01/19/20 07:17 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline OP
trapper
T

Michigan
right we are after the person that's has a open mine , flood them with facts , we will never change the anti

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736324
01/19/20 07:22 PM
01/19/20 07:22 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
trapper
F

AK
How about the people who aren't antis, just live in a city and have never heard other wise? They are the majority, not the trapper or antitrapper. They are the ones that need a reason to vote protrapper, the ones we need to give a reason to vote in favor of trapping in any situation where it comes to a vote.

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736325
01/19/20 07:23 PM
01/19/20 07:23 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
trapper
F

AK
How about the people who aren't antis, just live in a city and have never heard other wise? They are the majority, not the trapper or antitrapper. They are the ones that need a reason to vote protrapper, the ones we need to give a reason to vote in favor of trapping in any situation where it comes to a vote.

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736327
01/19/20 07:24 PM
01/19/20 07:24 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline OP
trapper
T

Michigan
cracker that's what I'm saying smile

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736333
01/19/20 07:30 PM
01/19/20 07:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ll be honest, living in the South, I have never met anyone opposed to trapping...or hunting...or fishing. I’ve got more places to trap than I have time or traps.

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736334
01/19/20 07:32 PM
01/19/20 07:32 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
You are correct, a non trapping public education campaign is going to be vital for our survival. Unfortunately the non trapping public includes a lot of people that hunt and fish. All states are rapidly approaching a time when game departments will not be self supporting, some may already be there. Like it or not another funding source will be needed to keep up programs and projects, i.e. public money. The anti's are a waste of breath as already stated, it's the majority in the middle we need, and the first step is for trappers to quit shooting themselves in the foot on social media!

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736345
01/19/20 07:41 PM
01/19/20 07:41 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I think anything we can do to change the mindset of any outdoor sport is good. Has anyone got any data from any study that is on Hunting of all kinds and trapping. As a hole how do people think about the two activity's. I do not think there as been as many issue in front of us as there is right know. You can change there minds but can you get them to the voting booth

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736422
01/19/20 08:41 PM
01/19/20 08:41 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
I once had a lady that was in a group of people attending a Sportsmen for Youth Field day start saying to anyone that would listen that trapping should be outlawed because it is shameful for anyone to kill an animal for it's coat for the sake of being in fashion .I said Do you understand that in many places of the world people wear fur because it keeps them warm .Fashion has nothing to do with it .She said what do you mean .In China, Russia and many other places it is the warmest thing people have to survire the sub zero weather She kept going on about how sad it is to kill animals for their fur .I ask her about rabies distemper ,parvo and the mange and ask if she thought natures way of dealing with over population was better than a bullet in the head for the animal.She started out loudly saying it should be outlawed but soon moved off into the crowd .She could not argue with the facts .Her only thing was how it was just not right as a fashion statement So if you just know a few facts and do not allow them to keep repeating how their emotions are the reason they are against it you can be at least some one that is trying to inform people about the benefits of trapping

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736526
01/19/20 09:20 PM
01/19/20 09:20 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
You need to let them know how it will impact them as most folks will vote against something if it has no impact on their lives. With all the pets being attacked by wolves and coyotes I’d focus on that and put them in a more realistic light.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: FL cracker in AK] #6736527
01/19/20 09:23 PM
01/19/20 09:23 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK

Agreed 100%

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736551
01/19/20 09:39 PM
01/19/20 09:39 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I've found that if you try to talk to them as a regular trapper or somthing along those lines it will never get across. Being bubba and shouting every one who dosent wanna kill coyote pups is a liberal while posting bloody pictures of dead predators with their tounges hanging out ( can't tell you how many times I've been talking to folks online about trapping aaand one of these types shows up and ruins it ) definitely dosent help. Honestly I've found being a general relaxed person just willing to talk and hear the other person out has done more than anything.

Honestly alot of people who are considered anti arnt anti. Their just folks who want to be good people and help animals ,all they have ever been told is this peta crap and tall tails. They simply dont understand how stuff works. You cant be super dogmatic like " look here snowflake this is how the real world works bla bla bla". Alot of times I've gotten though to people by trying to be understanding like " it's obvious you really care about all these animals and I know it seems I'm a real bad person I can understand that but let me explain why it's necessary ".

Having a little compassion ( I know I know this week snowflake generation ) and understanding can get you a long way with some of these folk imo

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Wolfdog91] #6736559
01/19/20 09:45 PM
01/19/20 09:45 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
I've found that if you try to talk to them as a regular trapper or somthing along those lines it will never get across. Being bubba and shouting every one who dosent wanna kill coyote pups is a liberal while posting bloody pictures of dead predators with their tounges hanging out ( can't tell you how many times I've been talking to folks online about trapping aaand one of these types shows up and ruins it ) definitely dosent help. Honestly I've found being a general relaxed person just willing to talk and hear the other person out has done more than anything.

Honestly alot of people who are considered anti arnt anti. Their just folks who want to be good people and help animals ,all they have ever been told is this peta crap and tall tails. They simply dont understand how stuff works. You cant be super dogmatic like " look here snowflake this is how the real world works bla bla bla". Alot of times I've gotten though to people by trying to be understanding like " it's obvious you really care about all these animals and I know it seems I'm a real bad person I can understand that but let me explain why it's necessary ".

Having a little compassion ( I know I know this week snowflake generation ) and understanding can get you a long way with some of these folk imo

Yup, me and you see things the same mostly. If you ever move to Delaware I have a spot as a volunteer instructor you

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Wanna Be] #6736575
01/19/20 09:52 PM
01/19/20 09:52 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TNcat Offline
trapper
TNcat  Offline
trapper
T

Middle Tennessee
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I’ll be honest, living in the South, I have never met anyone opposed to trapping...or hunting...or fishing. I’ve got more places to trap than I have time or traps.

Same for me.. I have some land, I’ve never set foot on.

IT'S A SOUTHERN THANG
Y'ALL WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

NRA member
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6736611
01/19/20 10:08 PM
01/19/20 10:08 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The very best way to have the public back up trappers against the antis is to get your local trappers council get active in the community volunteering same as the service clubs and putting on outdoor stuff for the kids and community like ice fishing days and wildlife dinners etc.
It works well for all the active trapping councils.
Many councils also provide nuisance animal control for the community which also brings in revenue to the council to be able to put on events in the community.
Trappers have to be willing to volunteer time and other things.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: TNcat] #6736652
01/19/20 10:35 PM
01/19/20 10:35 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by TNcat

Same for me.. I have some land, I’ve never set foot on.

Funny how some folks don't help but mind their own business. I think the world would be a better place if more knew how to.

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6737125
01/20/20 12:15 PM
01/20/20 12:15 PM
Idaho
Marten Ted Offline
trapper
Marten Ted  Offline
trapper

Idaho
Best way to fight antis is to educate the general, undecided public who have no idea about trapping or at least aren’t already opposed. We need to take more of a defensive strategy. First off, quit giving them ammo to use against us. Don’t set stupid locations, don’t catch dogs, don’t post stupid pictures. Stupid meaning anything that they can use for ammo against us. If they don’t have any ammo, they can’t shoot. Also talk to anyone that is open and willing to have a discussion about trapping and try to help them understand the importance of trapping and why foothold traps don’t inherently injure animals caught in them. I will stick my hand in any foothold trap I own. Educate educate educate. And make smart choices. We will never convince an anti why trapping is good but we can keep more people from becoming anti.

Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Wanna Be] #6737214
01/20/20 01:20 PM
01/20/20 01:20 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan

I was working in Mississippi during the Hurricane Katrina clean up.One of the locals brought out pictures of a recent deer hunt,so the next day I brought pictures of my catches here in the U.P.The locals tried savaging me every which way they could.One said he ran coon with hounds,the others just said it was "unfair"to the animal.I'm not saying everyone in the south is an anti,but my experience is different than yours.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: best way to fight anti [Re: Marten Ted] #6737226
01/20/20 01:32 PM
01/20/20 01:32 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by Marten Ted
Best way to fight antis is to educate the general, undecided public who have no idea about trapping or at least aren’t already opposed. We need to take more of a defensive strategy. First off, quit giving them ammo to use against us. Don’t set stupid locations, don’t catch dogs, don’t post stupid pictures. Stupid meaning anything that they can use for ammo against us. If they don’t have any ammo, they can’t shoot. Also talk to anyone that is open and willing to have a discussion about trapping and try to help them understand the importance of trapping and why foothold traps don’t inherently injure animals caught in them. I will stick my hand in any foothold trap I own. Educate educate educate. And make smart choices. We will never convince an anti why trapping is good but we can keep more people from becoming anti.

All of the above,but as a whole we need to treat this as an industry and not"recreation".I think the biggest step backward was when somebody came up with the phrase "Recreational Trapping"and everybody ran with it.Louisiana at one time,maybe they still do,had a lobbyist trying to promote their alligator and fur products.Thats what we should be doing.Forget about the mountain man era.Yes,its part of our heritage but its in the past.Way too much of what we do in the U.S.in regards to the trade reeks of the 19 th century,not the 21st.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread