No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738545
01/21/20 12:35 PM
01/21/20 12:35 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Beaverpealer I think that is the idea of the year on here.
I'd try some if guys think it ok crossing with my Chinas? If the new ones made nuts of course.

Sure we may not see them but, if no-one planted cool trees, we'd have less cool ones now.

I'll try remember to bring this up to a schooled nursery man next I see him.

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738627
01/21/20 01:43 PM
01/21/20 01:43 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
My son got some chestnuts this fall to try and plant at the farm. Weird that I see this today because he called me last night to tell me that they have finally sprouted

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738672
01/21/20 02:15 PM
01/21/20 02:15 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I have a bout thirty Chinese chestnut in pots now that about 12-18" along with some paw paws from seeds that I Stratified last winter and planted in the spring. I'll be planting the chestnuts in a couple clearings on my land and the paw paws a couple places along a creek on our land.

There are a few American chestnut trees around that grow fro stump spouts but I have onlyu seen a few of them that produce seeds before the blight kills them.

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738745
01/21/20 03:28 PM
01/21/20 03:28 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Starting back in about 1960, I went to 3 different areas that had at one time massive big chestnut trees growing most of the stump were rotting away by that time, some were still pretty solid. At each of these places I got shoots that were coming up and took them home and transplanted them. I could get them to grow to between 15 and 20 feet... then they would die. I guess the blight had been bred into them or something.

I tried everything I could think to try and do something to help them grow. I tried bare root, I tried balling them, I dug holes twice as wide and deep and filled with potting soil, cleaned top soil, I even tried mixing a very small amount of bleach in the water,, washing the trees down with different chemicals someone would suggest. But …. it didn't make any difference they would all end up dying. I had one that got to about 15 feet and even put out blossoms, no fruit was produced and it died the next fall.

Now that they are close to being the real thing and resistant... I don't have a place to plant and to darn old to see any results.

I my lifetime, in my area I have seen the loss of the American Elm, the Box Elder, the oak that someone mentioned above and others I can't think of now. We had a lot of American Elm in and around our town. I can remember when coming across one, just standing admiring those trees. They were as straight as any tree I have ever seen and would reach up to the sky, I would think. The most impressive thing about the Elm trees, they would go up 20 or more feet before there we any branches. We have Mound Builders Park a couple blocks from where I live now, it was loaded with Giant Elm, White and Black Oak trees

If I had a choice of what time I could go back to, it would be in the early 1700s... just so I could see the virgin forests of the east and Midwest, the flocks of Passenger Pigeons, the squirrel by the hundred at a time and the large herds of buffalo.

Well, a guy can dream …

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738754
01/21/20 03:37 PM
01/21/20 03:37 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
I bought some seedlings last year and planted several around the edges of my yard. The nursery suggested that I add some powdered bone marrow to the root ball to help it along. Bad idea when you have a 10 month old pup who loves to dig. I'll be replacing them this spring.....

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: gryhkl] #6738826
01/21/20 04:56 PM
01/21/20 04:56 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Originally Posted by gryhkl
Originally Posted by wr otis
My friend told me about that virgin stand of timber in the cook state forest. Funny thing he said, that virgin stand of timber isn't where it used to be before WWII. He claimed they cut the original stand, and then moved the signs to a different area. He's been dead and gone now since the eighties but I never knew him to BS.

I believe you friend is mistaken, Otis.
There is also a stand of virgin timber with a trail through it on public land in Hearts Content in Warren county.

I would agree with gryhkl on this one.
Take a walk or ride through Cook Forest and you'll see white pine trees that are well over 200 years, and some pushing 300 years old.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: beaverpeeler] #6738942
01/21/20 07:08 PM
01/21/20 07:08 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Bigfoot, if I remember correctly mine started producing burrs at about 7-8 years. Might depend on how fast of a start they get.

BTW, interesting tidbit, bees love the chestnuts. When my american has its catkins in full pollen mode it sounds like a bee swarm with all the pollen gathering taking place.

Hey Clark, I kind of wondered the same thing about those pics. The biggest of the Morton arboretum had a breast-height-diameter of about 5 ft and they had a known age of 129 years when I saw them.

Does the pollen not carry the blight

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738968
01/21/20 07:32 PM
01/21/20 07:32 PM
Iowa
O
ou812 Offline
trapper
ou812  Offline
trapper
O

Iowa
I have 4 Dunstin Chestnuts growing in Northern Iowa. This will be 4th growing season. I had a flower on one of the trees last year will see what this year brings.

Last edited by ou812; 01/21/20 07:33 PM. Reason: Spelt words wrong
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6738975
01/21/20 07:37 PM
01/21/20 07:37 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Online content
trapper
beaverpeeler  Online Content
trapper

Oregon
Seniortrap, if you bought chestnuts from Italy those would have been the European chestnut which has a little bit of resistance to the blight. Remember if you buy chestnuts thinking to sprout them it probably won't work unless care was taken to not let them dry out. Commercially, chestnuts are dried for a couple of weeks before they are sold and the germ is no longer viable.

Bigfoot, good question on blight transfer with pollen. I don't think it would or could transfer blight...UNLESS some windborne spores got into the pollen. I do not believe the fungal disease is systemic. It spreads by wind and water action. In fact I read once that when the blight first got going that they burned great piles of dead and dying chestnuts and the heat/smoke plumes pushed up spores into the jet stream causing the disease to spread great distances.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 01/21/20 07:38 PM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739045
01/21/20 08:36 PM
01/21/20 08:36 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I bought 2# of seed three years ago that were supposed to be the 15/16 blight resistant variety. Out of 92 seeds 90 sprouted and by planting time 85 survivors got planted . I put 15 of them in the woods , all of them were dug out by coons before the following weekend when I went back to water. The other 70 were planted in rows 30’ apart and staggered every 30’ , 65 of the original 70 survived the first summer and to date about half of these still live . The coons did not bother this planting as it was 1/4 mile away from the timber, I believe I lost more to voles in the big planting as I had grow tubes over all of these. I did some experiments that killed a few and had a few small birds get down inside the tubes and die , killing the seedling also . The experiment that killed about ten trees was pruning all but the top leader during their second fall after leaf drop. This may work with swamp white oaks, but not with chestnuts. For you guys planing to start trees from seed make sure you remove the nut just before planting, because everything likes chestnuts ! If I plant in the woods again I will build a wire cage around them to keep the coons away .

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739117
01/21/20 09:36 PM
01/21/20 09:36 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I had 75-100 Chinese chestnuts in pots that were about three inches tall one day and when I checked the following evening over half them were gone. Squirrels had found them, snipped off the top growth and stole the nut it was growing from.
I will also plant them in tubes when they go into the field. I have some persimmons growing tubes now and the few that were not in tubes failed while in those in tubes are about eight feet tall now.

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739120
01/21/20 09:40 PM
01/21/20 09:40 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
for those that want to help https://www.acf.org/
thanx!

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739479
01/22/20 09:01 AM
01/22/20 09:01 AM
Western Michigan
Animals Only Offline
trapper
Animals Only  Offline
trapper

Western Michigan
If someone wants to send me American chestnut nuts, I would be happy to plant them on my property. Send me a pm if you're interested.

AKA: Rusty Shackleford
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739519
01/22/20 09:54 AM
01/22/20 09:54 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Golfball- Where did you get your seed?

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739553
01/22/20 10:24 AM
01/22/20 10:24 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
My son has an older friend's wife (from England) who "smuggled" in some European (Horse) Chestnut seeds over 25 years ago and planted them by Kearney Nebraska. They are NOT like Ohio Buckeyes from what I can tell. They are 30' tall and growing straight (for this prairie country) compared to a lot of trees. Probably do better in a forested environment. They have been producing seeds for 5-6 years and my son has planted seedlings --- 50-60 of them. I have a few (along with a Chinquapin) planted here in Northeast Nebraska that have survived 2 seasons. So the saying goes 'if they can grow here they probably can grow just about anywhere'. Droughts and Floods are the signature of the Great Plains, without that wild temperature and moisture swings it would not be the Prairie. My son may be looking for other spots to try some of these so pm me if you live close (preferably farther east). ......................... the mike

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: TurkeyTime] #6739935
01/22/20 03:31 PM
01/22/20 03:31 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Golfball- Where did you get your seed?

I also would like to know this!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6739958
01/22/20 04:08 PM
01/22/20 04:08 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I bought seed from Chestnut Ridge of Pike county, large seed was about six bucks a pound . I will say this , the trees that produce these seeds are not like the original American Chestnut. These trees grow like an orchard tree and the nuts are three to a pod like the Chinese verity. From what I’ve been told the nuts are not as sweet as the originals but, they will start producing seed as early as 4 years and double their production every other year . When I asked Mr. Black how long they would continue to double like that he said his trees were only 27 years old and he had no idea if they would slow down . The university of Mo. has spent quite a bit of time here studying this variety and they have several plantings of their own . They have recommended a 27 foot spacing on newly planted trees ( I went with 30’ because I had the room ) because once the trees grow together those branches quit producing seed . I would gladly plant some more and intend to order more seed next fall , you get about 45 seeds per pound of the large seeds and they are pretty easy to start .

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: gryhkl] #6740062
01/22/20 05:23 PM
01/22/20 05:23 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by gryhkl
One of my sons spent his summer two years ago working on an American chestnut project. He and another student went around western and central PA monitoring the health and taking measurements of the trees in stands of hopefully blight resistant chestnut that have been planted over the years. He was told that most stands are planted way of the beaten path because of problems with theft of the trees.

Nearly 40 years I ago when i was kid went with fellow from state that was working on a grant to help save chestnut. Took him into a bunch of old ginseng woods that had various sized chestnut trees from pretty big to little saplings and he took all kinds of samples and then did something where he innoculated some of them with something. A few of the trees are still alive in one area but many of them were victims of logging and construction in the housing boom of late 90's early 2000 era that swept across western Michigan.

Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6740665
01/23/20 01:05 AM
01/23/20 01:05 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Is there anywhere to buy saplings of the "new" American chestnut? We still have lots of sprouts that come up then die. It is surprising how strong the wood is for as light as it is. When we see the power companies clearing right of ways where we know of lots of the sprouts, we'll go after they trim and get the fresh cut chestnut sprouts that are big and straight enough to make excellent walking sticks. Occasionally we'll find a good nut or two. Hence the old saying " even a blind hog can find a nut very now and then!"

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Anyone have interest in American Chestnut trees [Re: Actor] #6740678
01/23/20 01:33 AM
01/23/20 01:33 AM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline
trapper
MAArcher  Offline
trapper
M

MA
Hmmm. About 4 years ago I was in south eastern Massachusetts and took a stroll in the woods and found a spot with a number of trees that I didn't recognize. The ground was covered with spiny shells. I took a pic of one and sent it to a friend who has a tree service. He was shocked to see the pic and told me it was chestnut. I always meant to go back and see if I could ID what strain they were and see if I could collect some nuts to plant. Maybe this fall.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread