No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739196
01/21/20 10:38 PM
01/21/20 10:38 PM
PA
P
PSB1011 Offline
trapper
PSB1011  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Jeppers,Tracy,Ive only talked to you just a little, but you must of lernt something from me,lol

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Monster Toms] #6739204
01/21/20 10:41 PM
01/21/20 10:41 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted by Monster Toms

T

Most guys will browse over this and be right back next season over thinking things!!

And I'm one of them!!! Every year I start out with a bag full of tools, gear, gadgets, lure and what not. By the end of the season, there are only about 4 things in the bag and I'm running hard.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739207
01/21/20 10:43 PM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Originally Posted by Monster Toms

T

Most guys will browse over this and be right back next season over thinking things!!

And I'm one of them!!! Every year I start out with a bag full of tools, gear, gadgets, lure and what not. By the end of the season, there are only about 4 things in the bag and I'm running hard.

Funny how that works. Appreciate the rant, and the insights.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739208
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Great post. There is only 2 things I am doing right now, lol.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: PSB1011] #6739210
01/21/20 10:44 PM
01/21/20 10:44 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted by PSB1011
Jeppers,Tracy,Ive only talked to you just a little, but you must of lernt something from me,lol

About everything I learned about hard work and keeping things simple, I learned from Phil Brown!!

I still remember when Bob Jameson called and asked me to come to the PA convention years ago. I remember humming and hawing about going, and then he said the magic words: "Phil Brown is doing a demo." That's all I needed to hear. I still remember sitting on the front row when Phil got up to do his demo. I was sure I was going to learn everything I needed to know to be a successful trapper. Phil shows up with a tiny bag with about 4 things in it and makes a set in about 30 seconds, then stands up and says "Any questions?" It took me longer to type this than it did for him to make the set. THAT is when I started learning how to be a trapper.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739213
01/21/20 10:51 PM
01/21/20 10:51 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado

Sounds like the guys that ride along to learn cages. hop out shake the cage in the dirt cover it up, little stink, little urine and gone. Pupil still trying to find his camera app. load up lets go!!!

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739218
01/21/20 10:58 PM
01/21/20 10:58 PM
Iowa
TrapperDR Offline
trapper
TrapperDR  Offline
trapper

Iowa
I have a ton of respect for guys who speak the truth and keep it simple. That said, this comes from experience and time in the field. For many young trappers (myself included) the allure of a product or "magic potion" that will give us an advantage, peaks our interest and drives us to get into this lifestyle. I can vividly remember purchasing a bottle of Cherry muskrat lure from FF&G 20+ years ago and using it to catch my first season of muskrat. Towards the end of my trapping season my catch rate dropped after I ran out of the special juice and I was only using ear corn. In my mind, it was because I was out of the lure, looking back, it was because I had trapped down the population in that specific area. To this day, I still wish I could find that lure for memories sake. I think most of us go through a period of education of what is marketing for trappers. At the end of they day this is and industry driven by making money by both trapper and supplier.

Last edited by TrapperDR; 01/21/20 11:00 PM.
Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739226
01/21/20 11:11 PM
01/21/20 11:11 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Great post, Laz. As a new trapper I got a lot out of this post, so thank you. The "tools of the trade" have a ton of options. And I'm still figuring out what I like best but you did help simplify this a lot for me. So thanks.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739240
01/21/20 11:21 PM
01/21/20 11:21 PM
IN
A
Andy S Offline
trapper
Andy S  Offline
trapper
A

IN
Beautiful picture. Hope things are good for you, would be nice to see you again one day.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Andy S] #6739266
01/21/20 11:42 PM
01/21/20 11:42 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted by Andy S
Beautiful picture. Hope things are good for you, would be nice to see you again one day.

You too man. I miss you putting me in my place all the time. ....

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739274
01/21/20 11:49 PM
01/21/20 11:49 PM
PA
P
PSB1011 Offline
trapper
PSB1011  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by PSB1011

About everything I learned about hard work and keeping things simple, I learned from Phil Brown!!

I still remember when Bob Jameson called and asked me to come to the PA convention years ago. I remember humming and hawing about going, and then he said the magic words: "Phil Brown is doing a demo." That's all I needed to hear. I still remember sitting on the front row when Phil got up to do his demo. I was sure I was going to learn everything I needed to know to be a successful trapper. Phil shows up with a tiny bag with about 4 things in it and makes a set in about 30 seconds, then stands up and says "Any questions?" It took me longer to type this than it did for him to make the set. THAT is when I started learning how to be a trapper.

don't get mushy on me now.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739328
01/22/20 12:48 AM
01/22/20 12:48 AM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
I was always a sucker for a guy in a wife beater shirt.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739351
01/22/20 01:17 AM
01/22/20 01:17 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Laz so this is the post well written for sure ! To add some to what's already been written this basic concept holds true for snares and snaring or even cable restraints for that matter, people spend more time trying to find the perfect spot that's tightened down to force whatever target animal into the snare when it's possible to catch it while it travels down a cow trail with little to no funneling down.
Keep up the good work and Stay Safe out there !
Allan

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739493
01/22/20 09:23 AM
01/22/20 09:23 AM
Northern Nv
NvHermit Offline
trapper
NvHermit  Offline
trapper

Northern Nv
Originally Posted by NvHermit
How many days do you set 30-50 traps and how many do you have out at any one time ? Plus how many cats you average a season ?

I see some guys at Fallon with like 50 or more

Hmmmm. You might have seen me there then.

[Linked Image]

That's a lot of fur and way too much like a job for me. I live in Washoe co so I have to check traps every other day plus live at 6200' and get snowed in early.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739497
01/22/20 09:27 AM
01/22/20 09:27 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
mans killed more than Parvo. wink

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739752
01/22/20 01:05 PM
01/22/20 01:05 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Maybe it will be my last.

Been watching and reading a great deal on Tman . . . as always. Its a great diversion from work and its always fascinating to see how the other guy does things. I've learned a ton over the years but I see a lot of the same themes coming up over and over so I thought I'd just issue a pronouncement on some things and then be done with it. You know, kind of like how therapists tell their patients to write a letter and express all their frustrations, then throw the letter away to get rid of their anger. Here goes.

First, most trappers spend way too much time analyzing and second guessing their sets, their equipment, their baits, their lures, their pan covers, their everything. Everything from how to construct a cat/coyote set, to which lure or bait is currently the greatest on the market. Here's my take -- If I tried making some of the sets I see on here (especially cat sets), I'd only get 3-4 per day. Cats aren't rocket scientists. Its been said a lot of different ways, but get in front of them, and make them step on your trap as they go about their business. Same for coyotes. They aren't geniuses either. Don't mistake me -- I very much respect them and there are certainly plenty that outsmart me (not a real challenge for them). But for the average fur trapper, they are pretty simple -- they are always hungry (during trapping season) and they are always looking for a free meal. Give them one!! Just make it natural like it was something they would actually run into out in the field. Have you ever seen where a coyote or fox actually cached food it didn't want or have time to eat? What did it look like? Could you replicate it? If you've got a good strong, proven trap, with a reliable anchoring system, forget about using a trap that would hold a small elephant or one that requires a college degree to operate. Keep it simple. On a good day, I set 30-50 cat traps and I can do a bit better on setting coyote traps (because I set them closer to the vehicle). If you are constructing complicated sets, only getting a handful of them set on a given day, and your success is still subpar, think about simplifying things. I didn't say get sloppy; I said simplify.

Second, for canines and felines, bait and lure don't need to be complicated, and you should think about using the appropriate one in a given situation. Take a page from Mr. Waddell's adventure -- very simple bait, no lure (that's his choice) and some quality urine. Over 600 coyotes this year. I don't think he's sweating the current shortage of Abyssinian Civet Musk or whether its 5 ounces of castor or 6. Use something the animal actually wants to eat -- what a concept!! And without complicating it, think about where you should place that attractant in relation to your trap. Visualize how the animal will approach the attractant and place your trap where he will step on it. If you can't envision it, get yourself some good trail cameras and make mock sets in the off season and watch where/how/why a predator places his feet and body in relation to the attractant.

Third and final, traps are like trucks. We all drive a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan etc for one reason or another. Some of those reasons are valid and some of them probably aren't, but as long as its dependable and gets you down the road, who cares what make/model you drive? Traps are the same way. Some are better than others. My advice is to do your own research, or talk to experienced, actual trappers in your area and see what they like. Then buy the very best you can afford and do it right from the outset. When I was a kid, I was poor. I picked up potatoes on my uncle's farm for 6 cents per 100 pound sack. On a school day, after school, if I hustled I could pick up 20 sacks. On a Saturday, if I busted my fanny, I could get 100. Yup, a whole $6 for the day. I saved my money to buy coyote traps. In my mind, I couldn't afford to buy some of the better traps so I bought some cheap traps (not going to tell you what they were). When I learned to catch coyotes, I had to endure the pain of pullouts, broken trap parts and weak springs. One Christmas my grandmother gave me a dozen #3 Victor Longsprings. I'm not saying they are the BEST trap, but they were quality -- especially compared to what I had been using. I quickly learned that cheap traps cost me, and quality saved me money. I've tried to implement that principle every day of my life whenever I'm tempted to buy something cheap because "it was good enough." Instead, I try to buy quality and you should too. I think it was a trapper from Montana who said "you can judge a trapper by the quality of his tools."

OK, I'm done.

Dukes suck!!! laugh

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739785
01/22/20 01:33 PM
01/22/20 01:33 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Laz,

I read your post not long after you posted it yesterday and just reread it again. Truer words couldn't be posted. I seen you at the Nv rondies and read every thing you've posted, I've struggled with cats mostly because of time to travel to areas that aren't already being trapped or fires taking out the areas I have access to. I fit into the first group you wrote about and am going to try to take your advise to heart. Thanks for the post as I learned something from it.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739793
01/22/20 01:39 PM
01/22/20 01:39 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Awesome post Tracy. Needs to be pinned at the top.

That being said I think we need to talk about what cat set is best. Also what coyote set is best. I also think we need to talk about the best trap. Which ones are over rated and which ones are worth the money. Finally, what lures are the best for each, coyote and cats. I'm not sure if you mentioned these things in the post, I just skimmed through it and thought it would be easier to ask instead of reading it.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6739891
01/22/20 02:50 PM
01/22/20 02:50 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Mr. Tracy that was a good read and a great reminder ! I drove with my grandson 6 hours one way a few years back to northeastern Indiana to see Mr. Jepson do a demo. Now this was my very first demo by a big name trapper and I was totally disappointed by what I saw, he didn’t do anything much different that what I do . How could a guy that puts up those kind of numbers be doing something as simple as that ? Now I’ve been to a lot of conventions and seen a lot of demonstrations by some well known coyote trappers and they all have one thing in common, drive ! One may use dirt holes and another flat sets , one of them even puts pipes in the ground but they all put up numbers of coyotes with a lot of steel in the ground . KISS , thanks for the reminder Sir !

Re: My first Tman post of 2020 [Re: Lazarus] #6740026
01/22/20 05:07 PM
01/22/20 05:07 PM
New Mexico
D
Desertambition Offline
trapper
Desertambition  Offline
trapper
D

New Mexico
Good post.