No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
White sugar and cancer #6741704
01/23/20 08:58 PM
01/23/20 08:58 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Something West River Rogue said on another thread that got me thinking about sugar and cancer. I read various reports that sugar causes inflammation and inflammation feeds cancer cells. Any truth to it? Also, what type of inflammation. Is it like the inflammation around an inflamed injured joint or something else? Is the inflammation all through your body when you eat sugar therefore the cancer cells have no problem finding the inflammation?

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741729
01/23/20 09:31 PM
01/23/20 09:31 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Not a md nor a very wise scholar on the subject. I have done some self research on the topic. My thoughts and opinion on the inflammation is that a temporary swell due to most minor injuries usually heals itself with out long term side effects. The CHRONIC inflammation we tend to develop as we age or are otherwise unhealthy with obesity, diabetes,smokers, drinkers, immobilized and such starts to cause great stresses on our immune systems to be able to Properly and efficiently heal ourselves. Many of us just dont realize the inflammation attacks our healing organs ie... stomach, small intestines, large intestine, pancreas, liver, kidneys.
Our nutritional inputs have become so toxic it stresses our whole system to remove the waste and toxins we consume on a daily weekly yearly lifetime of several decades.
The most nutrient dense foods we eat (that are clean) is how our body receives the ability to cure itself. Nutrient dense and as organic as you can find such as Broccoli, spinach, kale, Cauliflower, apples, blueberries. Avacado. Asparagus. Carrots. Wild game there are many many nutrient dense foods and potato chips and pizza are not them. The highly processed food giants are slowly killing us from the inside.
JMO

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741736
01/23/20 09:45 PM
01/23/20 09:45 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
California to ban sugar in 3 , 2 , 1.......
Except for Starbucks......lol

NRA benefactor member
Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741748
01/23/20 10:06 PM
01/23/20 10:06 PM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Ohio
From what i have read in past, there is some truth to sugar.. think of all the cakes and sweets..junk food with the amount of sugar we consume.
I switch fom sugar to honey atleast in my coffeeand cut back on sweets, hoping it helps the energy level and immune system.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741757
01/23/20 10:12 PM
01/23/20 10:12 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
A fine example of too much available online information being a bad thing, since much of it is false or outright lies. And people don’t know any better. And now this thread is going to contribute, because there’s some ridiculous garbage in here already being presented as facts.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741764
01/23/20 10:20 PM
01/23/20 10:20 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Its all about moderation with anything.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741792
01/23/20 10:58 PM
01/23/20 10:58 PM
Illinois
D
DRF Online content
trapper
DRF  Online Content
trapper
D

Illinois
Dang, I'm gonna have to eat more brown sugar.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741804
01/23/20 11:07 PM
01/23/20 11:07 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Everything causes cancer they will tell you.One day don't eat eggs They are bad for you.Months later oh never mind eggs are good for you.Dont eat sugar that's bad eat artificial sweetners.Later find out it's worse then sugar.Don't eat lobster as it's full of cholesterol. Nope never mind it's the right cholesterol......it just goes on and on.

Nevada bound
Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741808
01/23/20 11:13 PM
01/23/20 11:13 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Something West River Rogue said on another thread that got me thinking about sugar and cancer. I read various reports that sugar causes inflammation and inflammation feeds cancer cells. Any truth to it? Also, what type of inflammation. Is it like the inflammation around an inflamed injured joint or something else? Is the inflammation all through your body when you eat sugar therefore the cancer cells have no problem finding the inflammation?

I do believe there is some sort of affinity between mutant cells and sugar. That relationship is even used as a diagnostic tool.

Example: back in 2010 when I was diagnosed with throat cancer the doc wanted to pinpoint the source.

Some of you will have had a PET scan. It was my first and quite interesting.
I was in Anchorage, at the hospital radiology lab early in the morning.

Meanwhile in Seattle a technician mixed a solution of sugar and a radioactive isotope to a specific half-life concentration.
They put it on a plane and flew it to ANC.

A courier picked it up at the airport and brought it to the lab.

At this point it had 1 hour of half-life remaining. They hooked it up to my IV drip. I sat there for 60 minutes.

Then they stuck me in an MRI machine and turned it up to redline.

My cells had attracted the sugar from the solution. But the cancer cells had attracted way more sugar and thus way more radioactive isotope. The MRI clearly showed the concentration of the isotope on the source of the cancer.
So YES, I believe that sugar is probably not a good thing to eat a lot of.

Mean As Nails
Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741832
01/23/20 11:48 PM
01/23/20 11:48 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
Cancer is metabolically much more active than your normal cells. It grows much faster, and therefore needs more energy. So, since sugar is energy, it will concentrate in areas that need the most energy.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Dean Chapel] #6741837
01/23/20 11:55 PM
01/23/20 11:55 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Cancer is metabolically much more active than your normal cells. It grows much faster, and therefore needs more energy. So, since sugar is energy, it will concentrate in areas that need the most energy.

Correct.
Chemotherapy in a nutshell is taking poison. Think of a lawn with weeds. Put down weedkiller , the weeds take in more than the grass and die. The grass takes in less , suffers but recovers. Cancer cells are like weeds , grow faster than the other cells. This is why your hair falls out during chemotherapy , fast growing. Your nails also get stunted during this period. I had growth rings on my nails as they stopped growing with each cycle of chemotherapy.

Last edited by Cragar; 01/23/20 11:56 PM.

NRA benefactor member
Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Boco] #6741876
01/24/20 01:12 AM
01/24/20 01:12 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline
trapper
kyron4  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
Originally Posted by Boco
Its all about moderation with anything.

This is the key. To much water can be bad for you.

Sugar is poison, I cut out processed sugar and lost 20 lbs. and feel better than I did in my 20's. After a week or so without it you lose the craving for it. To each his own.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: white17] #6741878
01/24/20 01:20 AM
01/24/20 01:20 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Online content
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Online Content
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by white17

I do believe there is some sort of affinity between mutant cells and sugar. That relationship is even used as a diagnostic tool.

Example: back in 2010 when I was diagnosed with throat cancer the doc wanted to pinpoint the source.

Meanwhile in Seattle a technician mixed a solution of sugar and a radioactive isotope to a specific half-life concentration.

At this point it had 1 hour of half-life remaining. They hooked it up to my IV drip. I sat there for 60 minutes.

My cells had attracted the sugar from the solution. But the cancer cells had attracted way more sugar and thus way more radioactive isotope. The MRI clearly showed the concentration of the isotope on the source of the cancer.

I hated the two PET scans I had. I much preferred the CT scans. The problem with the PET scans was the extended time of absolutely no movement. I'm not like that. I asked if I could move my big toe now and again. The technician granted this request, but if I only moved that one body part.

That's interesting about the sugar. I know they put a radioactive isotope in me, but I had no idea what it was.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741880
01/24/20 01:23 AM
01/24/20 01:23 AM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Those of us who have had an impact believe in what helped us. I had some chronic issues for several years and made some lifestyle choices. Nothing major just watched what i put inside my body. Slowly I started to feel and see some positive changes and after a year most of the chronic stuff was nearly a forgotten issue after a decade of some very uncomfortable times. I cut most of the refined sugar out, cut back on most all breads and tried to eat the Whole Foods I grew up eating and yes I feel 90% better 90% of the time.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Dean Chapel] #6741907
01/24/20 03:48 AM
01/24/20 03:48 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel

x2

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: white17] #6741908
01/24/20 03:49 AM
01/24/20 03:49 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by white17

This

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741909
01/24/20 03:53 AM
01/24/20 03:53 AM
trapper
trapper

2 of you nailed it.

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741943
01/24/20 06:07 AM
01/24/20 06:07 AM
trapper
trapper

I also didnt say white sugar...i said sugar of all types...i never do it. We get enough in things we eat

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741947
01/24/20 06:09 AM
01/24/20 06:09 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Again no cancer expert here, but very true that so many eat too many refined products, especially refined sugar and white flour. Plenty on here eat lots of game, but it doesn't cost a lot more to eat better. Buy unrefined sugar, eat whole wheat bread, less pasta, less bacon/sausage, and more whole grains and fresh vegetables. Easy to give up some of the bad stuff like cheap pizza, drive through burgers and fries and soft drinks. It just takes more time to prepare a good meal.

Those who garden are well ahead. Fresh produce is a lot better than canned or frozen in terms of nutrition. When we lived in CA I ate a lot more game, because of good duck/goose/turkey hunting plus wild salmon and stripers. Here I still do OK on deer and wild boar but I can buy lambs and veal from the neighbors that is organic.

Good luck to all who fight cancer.

Pete

Re: White sugar and cancer [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6741970
01/24/20 06:53 AM
01/24/20 06:53 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Here is a couple thoughts , Jack Lalane lived to be 98 years old. The man ate like a goat. Ate everything healthy he could think of , exercised like a fanatic. He admitted to eating less than 10 candy bars in his whole life.

George Burns drank , smoked and chased younger women. He lived to 100. Bob Hope lived to be 100.

There is a HUGE amount of disinformation out there in the media about diet and food. A lot of it is put out by food companies out for your dollar. Remember when bottled water first got popular , they were telling you that you needed 6-8 glasses a day and soda , coffee and other drinks didn't count. That made the bottled water companies grab large amounts of market share that they still own. However a lot of that has been debunked. Even though soda with sugar or artificial sweeteners may not be as good as plain water , it still hydrates your body. There was a push not too long ago to sway people away from high fructose corn syrup. Like it was the most horrible food invented. Bet the sugar companies pushed that. The suppliers of high fructose corn syrup came out with a great ad to counteract it . Two women talking , one is telling the other how bad high fructose corn syrup is , the other one replies well they make it out of corn. How bad is corn for you ? Orange juice is pushed as a healthy drink , it has more fructose per oz. than soda , but minimal vitamins. Yes , it is better than soda by only by a very tiny bit.

Bet you know somebody who buys gluten free foods but doesn't have celiac disease. There is no need to buy this unless you are affected by celiac disease , it doesn't make you any healthier. Plus it is real pricey.

Ever notice , oh , this food is bad , then a short period later it is good for you. Milk , butter , eggs are typical examples.
Take a good look at the USDA food pyramid. It has gotten revised a couple times. Why ? It has been proven that earlier editions of it were swayed by farmers/industries to push certain food groups to bolster sales. One version of the food pyramid not too long ago pushed lots of servings of breads and grains. They have toned that down a bit lately. Proven fact the earlier version was slanted to push grains for the people who sell make/sell them.
Everything in moderation , an active lifestyle and MOST importantly great genetics is probably your best bet.
Ever seen a person who smoked like a chimney but lived to 100+ and never got cancer. Genetics. Then there is the other side of the coin , those that died very young with cancer but lived a very healthy lifestyle.

NRA benefactor member
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread