No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Question for knife makers #6745193
01/26/20 12:58 PM
01/26/20 12:58 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline OP
trapper
nightlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Mn
I know there are a few knife makers here in Tman and would like to know how hard it would be to change the handle on a knife

I recently picked up a beautiful hand made knife but the problem is the handle it to fat and to short for my hand

The current handle is a fat stick of stag with the tang passing through and being held on with a metal end cap that is screwed on the end holding everything in place

My idea is to either replace the stag piece with a thinner one and then putting a longer end cap on to extend the handle or just put a pice of crown stag on and epoxy it in place

So ideas

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Question for knife makers [Re: nightlife] #6745437
01/26/20 04:20 PM
01/26/20 04:20 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
You can weld more material on the tang. Contrary to what you see sometime epoxy is great at keeping things tight but you really need mechanical attachment in a knife handle.

Re: Question for knife makers [Re: nightlife] #6747375
01/27/20 10:29 PM
01/27/20 10:29 PM
Iowa
M
Mitch L Offline
trapper
Mitch L  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
ALOT of it depends on how well that epoxy is holding! Perhaps contact the maker and see if he'll thin it down? otherwise I'd say give it a go.

Re: Question for knife makers [Re: nightlife] #6747433
01/27/20 11:26 PM
01/27/20 11:26 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline OP
trapper
nightlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Mn
It was made in the 70s and the maker is dead so I guess I will give it a go and see what happens

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread