No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6729717
01/15/20 10:46 AM
01/15/20 10:46 AM
Michigan, United States
O
ottertrapper Offline
trapper
ottertrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Michigan, United States
Great thread Mark been fun following along. How much longer do you two have?

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6730613
01/15/20 11:42 PM
01/15/20 11:42 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

otter - We're pulling traps on this ranch Sunday if the weather allows. Then, because I'm back to seminary studies, we're pushing our other ranches back to mid-spring and May/June during the fawn drop season. All of our ranches have just been so supportive of our scheduling and I guess at the end of the day, when we as trappers deliver, folks appreciate our day in day bust hump hard work and results and are happy to have a trapper they can bank on.

Donna is slamming it! 2 more cats today = 11 on this ranch in that many days + she got 5 last job = 16 bobcats the last two and a half weeks. She caught a taxidermy grade cat today. We love those kind because they really help with tuition!

She's getting it done. All walk-throughs. All Widowmaker bait + either Blackie's Spotted Fury or our Windwalker or Fox Frenzy. She's hooked on the catch pole portion of this show, let me tell ya and it's super fun for hubby for sure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6730657
01/16/20 12:11 AM
01/16/20 12:11 AM
Northern Mn
rick olson Online content
trapper
rick olson  Online Content
trapper

Northern Mn
You and Donna are getting it done,thanks for letting us ride along with you,i needed to apply sun screen some days lol.Tomorrow morning it will be around -30 with a high of -7 for the high,no flip flops tomorrow.God bless and look forward to your early spring fawn control trapping,Rick.

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: rick olson] #6730692
01/16/20 12:35 AM
01/16/20 12:35 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by rick olson
You and Donna are getting it done,thanks for letting us ride along with you,i needed to apply sun screen some days lol.Tomorrow morning it will be around -30 with a high of -7 for the high,no flip flops tomorrow.God bless and look forward to your early spring fawn control trapping,Rick.

So you're saying we shouldn't send you any sun tan/UV block Rick?
To be honest, trapping in temps from 30-90 is actually not as cushy as it may seem. First of all, you have to hustle to get to animals as early as possible which is tough when you have a line out that takes all day to run. By mid-afternoon, buzzards are literally circling critters.

Also, big swing in animal movement as in - they move heavy twice a week or so because they just don't burn fat. They don't have any and they don't need any. So "hungry" animals after baits in the holes here is no where as fun as say Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri or Kansas. I've trapped those and those dogs have to eat!

Then, the country just doesn't get much rain down here and the soil is weird because of it. You're done when it rains. Gumbo is bad. This stuff ruts and the cement last on your rig a million years and the ruts on the ranch last 1,000 years so you don't move until it dries up a bit.

But, that being said, I'd rather splash on bug spray and sun oil than deal with -7 brother!

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6730698
01/16/20 12:40 AM
01/16/20 12:40 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Awesome Trip!!! Thanks for posting!!!!

Beautiful spots on that last cat!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6730795
01/16/20 06:29 AM
01/16/20 06:29 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
thanks mark an donna for letting us ride along ,you guys sure got it done down there , what were your final number

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6733247
01/17/20 09:57 PM
01/17/20 09:57 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Donna is gaining momentum as we head into the final turn race fans....

We have two more days to check traps and today she was on fire! 3 bobcats and 3 coyotes.
One of the coyotes in particular was particularly interesting in that we saw it run in front of the buggy,
A few more traps were checked and then maybe 15 minutes later we rounded the circle and BANG a coyote was dancing and Donna yelled, "I got that one we saw a minute ago!"
You know, I think she was right. We were maybe 400 yards away from where it ran in front of the buggy, and there was nada for a catch circle mid day???
Turd set in the middle of the bladed road.
After 14 days of catching dogs on this high fence.
They still like to sniff each other's _____!
Gotta love it.

Oh and the smile in the photo is authentic! I didn't say "smile!"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6733327
01/17/20 10:28 PM
01/17/20 10:28 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Hello Mark,

You talked about the ranch having predator skirting around the fence. With skirting in place, do predators still get in if it is compromised by the weather or some other means? Or is the skirting just not effective at keeping the critters from finding some way in?

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6733612
01/18/20 06:43 AM
01/18/20 06:43 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

silky,

The skirting is placed on the inside and it is helpful. But coyotes, especially younger ones can get through the 6" portion of the fence on occasion. I've done this long enough to know that coyotes are pretty ingenious at getting where they want to go. But the bigger ones (20 lbs plus) need a bigger hole to shimmy through and those are the dogs they try to keep out.

Now, rain is when they erosion happens, creeks wash out, and coyotes get in before repairs can be made.
It's all "attempts" to keep them at low tide is all. Fence + trapping + shooting + whatever = minimal coyotes.
That's the plan.

But I'll tell you, I've always held, as a biologist trained in the 1980's with canids, that coyotes are density specific breeders = nature instills in them genetically the RNA of the DNA to throw more females to populate fast when the population density is low. Some say nope. That's not true. And to be fair there are studies for both directions on this, so only God knows how He designed them. But;

Population here is low. I've worked them over on 20 square miles of this high fence ranch for this, the 5th year.
This year we are catching just under 75% females. No mange. They've shot two is all this year (usually males and humans impact the males the most. Nature devastates females more). So I'm factoring in my head, all the variables.

And so the population here is very low to start with and...
We got another female, female, female, male, female, female, female, female, male. That's how it's going.
Ton of girls!

Interesting I think that they can breed back into "thick" given the chance!

Mark

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6744467
01/25/20 10:15 PM
01/25/20 10:15 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Had to look way back to find this...are y’all still trapping? I looked forward to the updates.

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6746177
01/27/20 12:29 AM
01/27/20 12:29 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Wanna Be. We pulled traps a couple days after my last post here as I had to get back for the start of Seminary studies. We had a record haul this year with 90 target animals in 18 days, 46 more than last year. She just really aided me and I got to see what a particular system did that was very effective on the coyotes. We didn't hammer them with loud lures much. A bit of skunk, but high fence areas are funny in that dogs get on to you. They get pressured and they get cautious quick. But yet you need to catch them. So we kept glands and fresh bait working on 'em. Bunch of turd sets. Never stopped connecting. As coyotes move around the 20 square miles on this ranch, they sniff the "piles" and get in trouble. We have our Trapping Academy starting March 8th for a week (I'm on spring break), and then I just got off the phone today with another nice ranch of 7,000 acres in south Texas, and we sealed the deal on Donna and I trapping that starting end of March time line for 2-3 weeks. Once again, Donna will have to run much of that line daily by herself, but she is getting it done and while it's grueling work, she loves it. I out kicked my coverage as they say when I married her!

Meanwhile, I'm taking 15 credit hours here at DTS, and boy-oh-boy, we don't sit around much.

Mark

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: Wanna Be] #6746194
01/27/20 12:45 AM
01/27/20 12:45 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I do have a couple more pics of Donna in action Jackson mode. Dogs and cats. Cats and dogs. Dogs and cats.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6746605
01/27/20 10:24 AM
01/27/20 10:24 AM
Minnesota
W
wheelers Offline

"Trap Shed Sheriff"
wheelers  Offline

"Trap Shed Sheriff"
W

Minnesota
Awesome pictures Mark. Looks like you and Donna are having a great time.

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6746922
01/27/20 02:43 PM
01/27/20 02:43 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

One thing is FOR SURE Wheelers. You see Donna using that Ketch-All.
When she says, "Jump!"
I say, "How high?"

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6747286
01/27/20 09:12 PM
01/27/20 09:12 PM
Michigan, United States
O
ottertrapper Offline
trapper
ottertrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Michigan, United States
Oh man that cat is a dandy!! Thanks for sharing have fun back in seminary that’s awesome you are doing that. Great pics

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6747291
01/27/20 09:16 PM
01/27/20 09:16 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Originally Posted by Mark June

[Linked Image]

Mark -

Looks to me from this photo that you posted that you need to get bigger, more agressive drags. That cat went just too far. grin

Last edited by Gulo; 01/27/20 09:18 PM.

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6747305
01/27/20 09:30 PM
01/27/20 09:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Great thread and post. Thanks for taking us along. Can’t wait to see what March brings.

Re: The June team is laying steel again [Re: ] #6747495
01/28/20 12:33 AM
01/28/20 12:33 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Gulo,
I'll be a jack-in-the-box if it doesn't look like the cat drug across the hard gravel. Donna was just having too much fun with the "selfies." But, the critters stopped laughing real quick once she got her wheels and got rolling. She hadn't trapped like this since about 2003-4. She is ready for the ranch in March, when we'll pal up again and hit 'em a lick at another ranch.

We had a good system going. She figures the spot, the wind, the location as they say, and I pound in her stake. By the time I walk over and get my set into the ground (and I'm pretty fast after all these years of fine tuning the process), I grab my gear, stand up and look over.... and she's finishing up too. Yes!

She got a good dose of sun too.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread