No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Trapper7] #6746988
01/27/20 04:16 PM
01/27/20 04:16 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Trapper7
I'd sooner skin and flesh a beaver than a coyote any day. Too much fussing around with a coyote. Besides that, some of them stink like a dog that rolled in something rotten. I like the smell of castor.

It is an unfair world where diseased, parasite infested long legged opossums are worth 5 times as much as beautiful well groomed beavers. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6746990
01/27/20 04:17 PM
01/27/20 04:17 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
amen Dirt

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747366
01/27/20 10:21 PM
01/27/20 10:21 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
There's a reason beaver is always the last thing at the bottom of the freezer when everything else is put up.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: beaverpeeler] #6747379
01/27/20 10:32 PM
01/27/20 10:32 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
It comes down to what you're comfortable with. Once you learn to do it a certain way any other way will seem clumsy. I always felt like skinning and then fleshing was redundant. Clean skinning does both things at the same time. I no doubt would feel differently if I had learned to rough skin and flesh on a beam.

One can argue about which is more time efficient but I don't honestly think there is that much difference for those that are experienced in either way.
I average about 15 minutes to clean skin a blanket and about another 15 minutes to board it. I'm sure there are lots of guys faster than me.

Yeah I hear you on what we're comfortable with. I need to at least try clean skinning beaver a few times to see if it grows on me. I've only done roughly 30 beaver in the last 2 seasons but every one of those was rough skinned then put on a beam. We will see if I adapt to the change or stick to the way I've learned.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747395
01/27/20 10:48 PM
01/27/20 10:48 PM
Ontario
R
Rolee Offline
trapper
Rolee  Offline
trapper
R

Ontario
I use both methods but when i have 20 beavers to skin in front of me i just rough skin and frezze to flesh and board an other day .. that being said i feel clean skining is less messy in the shop and easyer on the paper towel lol

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Dirt] #6747405
01/27/20 10:58 PM
01/27/20 10:58 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Dirt
It is an unfair world where diseased, parasite infested long legged opossums are worth 5 times as much as beautiful well groomed beavers. frown

This is a very, very true statement. Neighbors dog got into the fur shed today and was caught red handed carrying away a beaver pelt I was thawing out. No damage done but I was glad it wasn't a $70 coyote. A finished beaver pelt is one of the most beautiful furs available.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747450
01/27/20 11:53 PM
01/27/20 11:53 PM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
What do you guys do when the beaver are mostly dry but you have some spots that have been missed. I never had so many beaver till this year when I got a hair. Trying to make a blanket, so all will be for me. That said I seem to always have this problem with beaver. I have scraped the rest off with a spoon. Has a worked appearance after but never got docked at NAFA. thoughts? Thanks. Always learning.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747709
01/28/20 09:48 AM
01/28/20 09:48 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So are you clean skinners doing a bunch of touch up when you board?

Most of my beaver trapping was done away from home and clean skinning wasn't feasible. So I got to where In most cases I could rough skin a beaver In 5 min flat.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747746
01/28/20 10:15 AM
01/28/20 10:15 AM
Huntingdon Co. Pa.
F
forestman3 Offline
trapper
forestman3  Offline
trapper
F

Huntingdon Co. Pa.
Have any of you guys tried fleshing them on your knee with a knife?I saw it on you tube and tried it once and quit using the beam.Trick is having a burr on your knife blade just right.I can do a beaver in 15 minutes this way.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: The Beav] #6747785
01/28/20 10:48 AM
01/28/20 10:48 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by The Beav

Most of my beaver trapping was done away from home and clean skinning wasn't feasible. So I got to where In most cases I could rough skin a beaver In 5 min flat.

Years ago when testing our body grip setter with my buddy Robbie in Canada we had a pile of Beaver at the bottom of a steep portage. From his pack, he took a set of sharpening sticks, a Victorinox skinning knife, a utility knife with hook blade, and two large fish hooks with barbs pinched down and light wire attached to eyes. He flopped a Beaver on a fallen log and made opening cut with hook blade. He wired the hooks to brush behind the log and used them to hold the carcass where he wanted as he worked his way clean skinning around the Bev. I watched in amazement as he finished the first one. He looked over his shoulder and said, "I can undress these girls if you wanna get our gear up over the hill". I made one trip with the canoe and one more with the gear. When I got back he was done with all but the castor removal. I think it was 5 or 6 Beavers, I couldn't believe how simple and matter of fact he made the task. A task that at the time would have consumed most of my weekend to do rough skinning and fleshing. LOL When I told him how I rough skinned he said " why would we wanna pack all that extra weight up the hill?" Over the next few days I learned to clean skin and never went back to rough skinning.

To each his own. I think the biggest lesson I got at the time was to not make to big of deal out of the skinning. He did it just as matter of fact as if he were setting a 330 in a run, it was just one more step. No more or less important than any other in the process. Before that trip I dreaded the task, since its no big deal.

Here's a pic of a pile of clean skinned Bev's.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747791
01/28/20 10:51 AM
01/28/20 10:51 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
great pic.

most of mine have been for buyers and thats how it was done.

its a no right or wrong way thing.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Bruce T] #6747852
01/28/20 11:45 AM
01/28/20 11:45 AM
Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline
trapper

Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
I am a person who sets goals for myself since before I fleshed my first beaver when I was 14. The goal is to get a top market pelt to the sales and to enjoy the trip as an added bonus. When working my pelts I feel the reward of catching the animal & knowing that my hard work will put me in top percentages in the sales market and I enjoy that work . Never used a Pattern for my beaver pelts as the body shape using diagonal nailing back and forth will give you just as good a finished product anyway. I use lots of nails which allows a full stretch without fur tearing as it dries. I have also used stiff cardboard between pelt & board for beaver pelts for extra absorption on the fur side coupled with better circulation in the process. Also grips the nails as you are trying to line them up into the wood.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Trapset] #6747928
01/28/20 01:07 PM
01/28/20 01:07 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Trapset

Years ago when testing our body grip setter with my buddy Robbie in Canada we had a pile of Beaver at the bottom of a steep portage. From his pack, he took a set of sharpening sticks, a Victorinox skinning knife, a utility knife with hook blade, and two large fish hooks with barbs pinched down and light wire attached to eyes. He flopped a Beaver on a fallen log and made opening cut with hook blade. He wired the hooks to brush behind the log and used them to hold the carcass where he wanted as he worked his way clean skinning around the Bev. I watched in amazement as he finished the first one. He looked over his shoulder and said, "I can undress these girls if you wanna get our gear up over the hill". I made one trip with the canoe and one more with the gear. When I got back he was done with all but the castor removal. I think it was 5 or 6 Beavers, I couldn't believe how simple and matter of fact he made the task. A task that at the time would have consumed most of my weekend to do rough skinning and fleshing. LOL When I told him how I rough skinned he said " why would we wanna pack all that extra weight up the hill?" Over the next few days I learned to clean skin and never went back to rough skinning.

To each his own. I think the biggest lesson I got at the time was to not make to big of deal out of the skinning. He did it just as matter of fact as if he were setting a 330 in a run, it was just one more step. No more or less important than any other in the process. Before that trip I dreaded the task, since its no big deal.

Here's a pic of a pile of clean skinned Bev's.
[Linked Image]

My first thought when I saw that pic was Global warming!

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6747958
01/28/20 01:35 PM
01/28/20 01:35 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
When we had beaver to tote up the hill or back In a way's we just gutted them. Just grab them by the rib cage and go. Know I would be lucky just get myself up the hill. LOL

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: The Beav] #6747973
01/28/20 01:53 PM
01/28/20 01:53 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Yes I believe most "clean skinners"do a bit of touch up when boarding the pelt. This picture is an example of what I consider a clean skinned beaver ready for final 2-3 minute touch up and trimming.
[Linked Image]

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6748108
01/28/20 04:05 PM
01/28/20 04:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The best way to learn clean skinning(or any other method) is to watch an experienced person do it and have him explain the technique as he goes along.Then have a go and he can critique your effort so you dont make mistakes that can become ingrained.He will also explain the tools and how to maintain them properly so efficiency is maximized.Then once you have the proper tools and technique down pat,speed will come with repetition
Stuff you cant learn from reading or on your own.
The two main things for fast and efficient cleanskinning is a razor sharp knife (and the knowledge how to keep it that way)and a feather weight hold on the knife.

Last edited by Boco; 01/28/20 04:11 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6748272
01/28/20 06:35 PM
01/28/20 06:35 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Agree with Boco. The knife sharpening aspect of it is crucial to the success of the clean skinner.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6748431
01/28/20 08:04 PM
01/28/20 08:04 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Yup, sharp knife and hands on advice. Saves years.

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6748435
01/28/20 08:06 PM
01/28/20 08:06 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
I love setting for, catching, skinning and boarding beaver. But man do I hate fleshing them. One of these days gonna have to learn how to clean skin. Not sure why this one was so troublesome but it took me an hour to flesh it. Saddle just didn't want to peel off. Also tried my hand at boarding without stencil lines for the first time.

[Linked Image]

Come on down and Jerry will teach ya how to clean skin

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Hate Fleshing Beaver [Re: bctomcat] #6748491
01/28/20 08:49 PM
01/28/20 08:49 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Yes I believe most "clean skinners"do a bit of touch up when boarding the pelt. This picture is an example of what I consider a clean skinned beaver ready for final 2-3 minute touch up and trimming.
[Linked Image]

I agree with that. I usually spend a couple minutes with a hand scraper during the boarding process. Here's one about ready for the hand scraper.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread