No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: The Beav] #6743838
01/25/20 01:18 PM
01/25/20 01:18 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by The Beav
On line voting Is going to screw us.

All these deer questions should benefit trappers. Fellow sportsmen now have a bigger interest to participate. Very few questions had a different result when you look at online versus in person. In person likely carries more weight as they are the folks that vote for delegates. Delegates need to represent those that elect them. Online won't screw us. Folks not showing up to elect delegates that will represent those that participate in the process will screw us IMO.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/25/20 01:19 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6743882
01/25/20 02:14 PM
01/25/20 02:14 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So do you think that with the option to vote on line will keep more sportsmen at home. In Dane county most of the time the antis out number the sportsmen. And they are briefed ahead of time on how to vote.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: The Beav] #6743884
01/25/20 02:16 PM
01/25/20 02:16 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
So do you think that with the option to vote on line will keep more sportsmen at home. In Dane county most of the time the antis out number the sportsmen. And they are briefed ahead of time on how to vote.

I don't. I think the people that go to the spring meetings will always go for the most part.

No Jab.
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6743896
01/25/20 02:26 PM
01/25/20 02:26 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I do. Sportsman participation is pathetic at best. The couch calls, and with smart phone in hand one can vote and watch TV at the same time.

S&R, you may be correct, but what is the average age of the dedicated participants? They are a dying breed.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6743925
01/25/20 03:06 PM
01/25/20 03:06 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I know at least 20 trappers from my county and NONE of them have ever been to a CC meeting.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6743929
01/25/20 03:10 PM
01/25/20 03:10 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the average age in Green is definitely grey hair. there are a few of us younger than retirement age.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6744506
01/25/20 10:45 PM
01/25/20 10:45 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
It will keep some home and especially if they think there is going to be a bunch of like minded folks there. That goes both ways. They tend to be folks that have listened to all sides and have made up there mind.

That said, here is a stat for you. Only 25% of deer hunters are aware that they have a county deer advisory council that sets population objectives, season framework, and permit levels. They have been in existence for six years.

Some folks are mad about poor attendance of CDAC meetings but there is really no benefit to attend IMO. They can get all the info online. I have gone so far to tell folks that. What I want is there input and I want it as easy as possible for them to do it. We have doubled our input every year that I have been on the council but we only have a couple folks attend in person.

Now the Conservation Congress has been around for forever, but I bet there are still folks hearing about the spring hearings for the first time. With all the publicity they are getting, even more folks will have an interest in attending their first meeting with these big topic items on the ballot. I wouldn't believe it but I see it on the FB page for the Congress. Counties that are willing to make the outreach should see some nice gains this year.

But the most important thing happening at the spring hearing is elections. With similar questions, there is a good chance those delegates will have to make a decision on how to interpret the results. Those delegates also will play a role in determine what is on the ballot in the future. Plus folks that attend can also introduce resolutions and vote on those resolutions submitted. By giving up one night a year, folks in attendance can ensure they elect someone that will work harder to make their lives easier.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/25/20 11:22 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6744919
01/26/20 09:49 AM
01/26/20 09:49 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The Patricia Randolph's of the world actually rent buses and bring In their antis to the Dane county CC

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: The Beav] #6745670
01/26/20 07:37 PM
01/26/20 07:37 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
The Patricia Randolph's of the world actually rent buses and bring In their antis to the Dane county CC

She used to be a delegate and even sat on the fur harvest committee at one time. She lacked influence so essentially the county wasted a delegate. But it speaks to their efforts to recruit. Frankly, we as sportsmen don't do enough of it and I know I am guilty of it.

Tomorrow I am going to do a podcast on all these advisory questions and how folks can participate. We will be taking questions on the fly so look up the TRS live podcast if you have an interest.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/26/20 07:39 PM.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Muskrat] #6746459
01/27/20 09:25 AM
01/27/20 09:25 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Yes 65 or older or disabled would have a regular archery license
Lol it has a scope and a trigger it’s a gun

Ah . . . elitist mentality.

So, a trigger release is technically not a trigger? Or it is a trigger? Then all of the bowhunters using trigger releases are actually using guns?

And if it had a peep sight instead of a scope then it would not be a gun? Or if a fella put a scope on a bow then it would become a gun?

Interesting.

agree muskrat! everyone says its not the same or not fair. my response has always been its just an upgrade just like the compound bow most hunters used along with the tree stands, blinds trail cams etc. ive never personally met a bow hunter that hunts on the ground or horseback with an old recurvew. IMO those are the only people that have the grounds to gripe about about new technology

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: tlguy] #6746465
01/27/20 09:28 AM
01/27/20 09:28 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by tlguy
Any evidence, any at all, to back that claim up? What do you "bet" it was when in person registration was required?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

exactly! ive heard stories since i was a kid of the "camp meat" deer

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: WIMarshRAT] #6746480
01/27/20 09:36 AM
01/27/20 09:36 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
For those that didn't watch, it sounds like there are going to be quite a few questions on the Conservation Congress spring questionnaire relating to deer. When you include department, NRB, and CC advisory questions, it includes everything from shortening Xbow season, extending rifle season to 16 days, moving rifle season earlier, possible simplification changes to antlerless tags and a few others. It will be interesting to see how the input breaks down this spring.

i dont see how lengthening the season will help much. hunting has changed alot since i was a kid. now everyone is after that 200" buck. there is a growing number of people that hunt more for horns than meat. hunters no longer get in the woods and move the deer around. land owners dont allow access to the avg hunter anymore because one or two guys will pay big money to have large parcels of land to themselves. When i was younger large groups would hunt many different farms and hunt for meat and we would see a hundred plus deer every year. now we are lucky to see a dozen- and this is not a deer population issue!

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: trapper20] #6746490
01/27/20 09:40 AM
01/27/20 09:40 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI

[/quote]
agree muskrat! everyone says its not the same or not fair. my response has always been its just an upgrade just like the compound bow most hunters used along with the tree stands, blinds trail cams etc. ive never personally met a bow hunter that hunts on the ground or horseback with an old recurvew. IMO those are the only people that have the grounds to gripe about about new technology[/quote]

If we ever get the chance to meet, you'll see someone who hunts with a handmade wooden (no fiberglass) longbow (no recurves) using wooden arrows with 2 blade broadheads who hunts from ground blinds.

I may gripe privatley about the new technology, but not when discussing hunting in a public setting.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: trapper20] #6748105
01/28/20 04:03 PM
01/28/20 04:03 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by trapper20

i dont see how lengthening the season will help much. hunting has changed alot since i was a kid. now everyone is after that 200" buck. there is a growing number of people that hunt more for horns than meat. hunters no longer get in the woods and move the deer around. land owners dont allow access to the avg hunter anymore because one or two guys will pay big money to have large parcels of land to themselves. When i was younger large groups would hunt many different farms and hunt for meat and we would see a hundred plus deer every year. now we are lucky to see a dozen- and this is not a deer population issue!

I guess it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. If the firearm season is moved up and they put a quiet period in, I think it would transfer some of the archery harvest to gun harvest. Those last couple of weeks in archery are big weeks for buck kill and ensuring you avoid the late gun hunts (like this year) would significantly increase the gun harvest. I included a link to the powerpoint deck that shows the impact of having a later vs earlier season and the average difference is like 13% (slide 15). https://p.widencdn.net/4ydoii/00-2020-01-Tuesday-3A-PP-re-2019-NRB-Deer-Season-Report-FINAL

Deer will be more likely on their feet and you have more that survived archery season. Keeping the gun hunt closer to the rut will likely help generate a little more interest if that was what you are trying to accomplish.

All that said, I am not sure that just extending the gun season to 19 days without moving it up helps on either front. You make a lot of good points on how folks hunting styles have changed over time.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/28/20 04:04 PM.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6748126
01/28/20 04:35 PM
01/28/20 04:35 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I think if you move the gun deer season from thanksgiving week it will hurt the season.

I am thinking making it longer so we have more snow and the deer start to heard up. then harvest doe in January a lot of swamp gets much more accessible when it is frozen and snow covered , snow shoeing across a frozen swamp in minutes making little noise vs an hour in waders making all kinds of noise.

I know the snowmobiles have complained about late deer seasons because they feel "unsafe" in the woods with hunters , I have news for them we can hear them coming a mile out snowmobiles don't look or sound like deer.

I suppose it could cause conflict between hunter and trappers who often like to wait till gun deer is over.

to ease snowmobile and possibly trapper tensions I was thinking a long late archery & muzzle loader season.

my interest is harvesting the deer that the biologists say need to be harvested to keep a healthy heard , they are supposed to be basing their numbers on science if you want a way to take more deer more days and opportunity seems logical to me you can always close a county early if a quota is reached.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6748160
01/28/20 04:58 PM
01/28/20 04:58 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
The problem snowmobilers have with late seasons has nothing to do with getting shot. Most if not all trails run across private land at some point or another, and private landowners dont want sleds on their land while they're hunting. So it's the landowners, not the snowmobilers, that push the seasons back.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6748178
01/28/20 05:16 PM
01/28/20 05:16 PM
wisconsin
B
big momma Offline
trapper
big momma  Offline
trapper
B

wisconsin
I've read most of these posts, I don't think doubling the season would be good. Too many hunters. What if we did a early short gun season to coincide with the rut? Four or five days? But allow archery AS well if we take away we are going backwards we are trying to have more opportunities for EVERYONE!

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: Green Bay] #6748213
01/28/20 05:44 PM
01/28/20 05:44 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I'd like to know where these proposals came from, and why these were selected. Let's see the guys pulling the puppet strings.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: big momma] #6748229
01/28/20 05:57 PM
01/28/20 05:57 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by big momma
I've read most of these posts, I don't think doubling the season would be good. Too many hunters. What if we did a early short gun season to coincide with the rut? Four or five days? But allow archery AS well if we take away we are going backwards we are trying to have more opportunities for EVERYONE!

Do you think the WBA would go along with that? They don't want the Xbow hunters killing their bucks do you think they would put up with gun hunters In the woods during the rut?

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6748267
01/28/20 06:26 PM
01/28/20 06:26 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

my interest is harvesting the deer that the biologists say need to be harvested to keep a healthy heard , they are supposed to be basing their numbers on science if you want a way to take more deer more days and opportunity seems logical to me you can always close a county early if a quota is reached.

Best way to harvest more deer is go to earn a buck, can't shoot a buck until you shoot a doe.
That would go for all hunters.
I know most don't like it but its the best way to cut the heard numbers.
The worst case would be the same number of bucks and does shot but in reality you'd see more does shot than bucks. I'd guess about 3 does to every 2 bucks.
This also would increase the percent of bucks in the herd and I'd also suspect that the quality of bucks would increase.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread