No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wild Horses/Mustangs #6750091
01/29/20 11:23 PM
01/29/20 11:23 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
I have a question I am hoping someone may know the answer to about Mustangs. The Free roaming horse and burro act of 1971 defines free roaming horses and burros as

"(b) "wild free-roaming horses and burros" means all unbranded and unclaimed horses
and burros on public lands of the United States; "

Does that mean any mustang/burro who wanders onto private land could be captured legally? Or is there other laws that protect them?

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750094
01/29/20 11:28 PM
01/29/20 11:28 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Don't know but...Interesting

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750097
01/29/20 11:30 PM
01/29/20 11:30 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I would think on your own land once it was branded it would be yours.

Nevada bound
Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750106
01/29/20 11:38 PM
01/29/20 11:38 PM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN
I just found this reading the act

"If wild free-roaming horses or burros stray from public lands onto privately owned land,
the owners of such land may inform the nearest Federal marshal or agent of the Secretary,
who shall arrange to have the animals removed. In no event shall such wild free-roaming
horses and burros be destroyed except by the agents of the Secretary. Nothing in this
section shall be construed to prohibit a private landowner from maintaining wild freeroaming horses or burros on his private lands, or lands leased from the Government, if he
does so in a manner that protects them from harassment, and if the animals were not
willfully removed or enticed from the public lands"

Reading the act further I have found several places were the BLM is acting outside the law regarding horses. For example

"(C) The Secretary shall cause additional excess wild free-roaming horses and
burros for which an adoption demand by qualified individuals does not exist to be
destroyed in the most humane and cost efficient manner possible. "

The fact we are paying people $1,000 dollars a year to take a horse or burro and feeding tens of thousands more on the public dime is ridiculous.

I asked the original question because one of my life goals is to catch and train a wild horse, dont really want to "catch" one at the BLM holding facility.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750117
01/29/20 11:47 PM
01/29/20 11:47 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
You could always try one the reservations and see if they would let you catch a tribal horse.

My suggestion is start with one from a corral first, i can guarantee they are plenty wild . Congress has included a budget rider since 1971 saying no appropriated funds can be used to destroy healthy wild horses.

Also just like any other animal if the government claims it as wild it has protection under the act on federal lands or off. It maybe trespassing but its still protected on private ground

Just out of curiosity how would you go about catching a wild horse if you had the opportunity?

Last edited by nvwrangler; 01/29/20 11:50 PM.
Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: nvwrangler] #6750122
01/29/20 11:52 PM
01/29/20 11:52 PM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by nvwrangler
You could always try one the reservations and see if they would let you catch a tribal horse.

My suggestion is start with one from a corral first, i can guarantee they are plenty wild . Congress has included a budget rider since 1971 saying no appropriated funds can be used to destroy healthy wild horses.

Just out of curiosity how would you go about catching a wild horse if you had the opportunity?

I have only trained two horses myself, one of them being pretty feral but I understand not the same. For whatever reason I have wanted to do this since I was a kid and now I am 30 and have the means to do it. I will probably Adopt one in the near future, I mean heck why not they pay you $1,000 to do it now.

As far as catching one, ill be honest I have a couple ideas in my head but it would be a stretch to say I had any real feasible plan at this point.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750131
01/29/20 11:56 PM
01/29/20 11:56 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

I have only trained two horses myself, one of them being pretty feral but I understand not the same. For whatever reason I have wanted to do this since I was a kid and now I am 30 and have the means to do it. I will probably Adopt one in the near future, I mean heck why not they pay you $1,000 to do it now.

As far as catching one, ill be honest I have a couple ideas in my head but it would be a stretch to say I had any real feasible plan at this point.

If you want a truly wild one let me know ill help you get your wish how about a 5 year old freash cut stud? Any wild horse if feral no native horses to north America.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: nvwrangler] #6750141
01/30/20 12:06 AM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN

If you want a truly wild one let me know ill help you get your wish how about a 5 year old freash cut stud? Any wild horse if feral no native horses to north America.

Thanks! An interesting fact about horses is that they evolved in North America originally then traveled to Asia through the land bridge before becoming extinct in North America for whatever reason. I really feel like horses belong here, I just dislike the emotional management of them.

I appreciate the offer of the stud but I am not quite ready, need to upgrade my fences to make sure they dont go over. I trained a QH/blegian this fall, beautiful 6 year old mare who was a total bronc, I didnt know horses could throw a rider so high until I got on her the first time. After a couple months with her we were getting along well, she was becoming quite the saddle horse. Then she did a total horse move and pulled a tendon in the pasture so she is just a big pasture ornament at this point, needs a year to heal then light riding only, sending her to the next auction regretfully.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750142
Lakeland, Louisiana
C
CajunMan Offline
trapper
CajunMan  Offline
trapper
C

Lakeland, Louisiana
I just watched a show last weekend called Wild Horse, Wild Ride. Pretty good show about 100 trainers who get100 wild mustangs and have 100 days to break and train them. At the end of the 100 days they are all entered into a competition and afterwards are auctioned to the highest bidder. Most all were turned into some really nice horses at the end of the 100 days and went for some big money

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: CajunMan] #6750150
01/30/20 12:15 AM
01/30/20 12:15 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted by CajunMan
I just watched a show last weekend called Wild Horse, Wild Ride. Pretty good show about 100 trainers who get100 wild mustangs and have 100 days to break and train them. At the end of the 100 days they are all entered into a competition and afterwards are auctioned to the highest bidder. Most all were turned into some really nice horses at the end of the 100 days and went for some big money

They ended up with about 75 or 80 horses that showed up to compete and only 25 to 30 had a reall good handle on them. Most of those in that event were 4 and 5 year old geldings that had been in the corrals for at least 2 years and were hand picked for size and temperament. They had an event a couple years ago and those had only been in a corral for 4 months way less showed up to compete.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750156
01/30/20 12:20 AM
01/30/20 12:20 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Cool Thread

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: nvwrangler] #6750157
01/30/20 12:21 AM
01/30/20 12:21 AM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN

They ended up with about 75 or 80 horses that showed up to compete and only 25 to 30 had a reall good handle on them. Most of those in that event were 4 and 5 year old geldings that had been in the corrals for at least 2 years and were hand picked for size and temperament. They had an event a couple years ago and those had only been in a corral for 4 months way less showed up to compete.

Do you find the Geldings are better to work with than the mares? I have started looking at horses in the BLM corrals online and it does seem difficult to find one with size, hard to get an idea of temperament from a quick video on the internet as well.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750161
01/30/20 12:25 AM
01/30/20 12:25 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Ive had both geldings and mares , as long as i can do my job that day ive no preference. Each one is different when starting different things are harder to get past for each one.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750170
01/30/20 12:27 AM
01/30/20 12:27 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Donner pm sent

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750189
01/30/20 12:51 AM
01/30/20 12:51 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
No you can not go out and catch your horses, as they are your property, but it is a racket.

For a bit of history and advice.

These are not mustangs. These are crossbred horses of American horses which escaped and interbred with the "mustangs". The Indian horses were so horrid that Col. Charles Askins used to shoot them for his pack of hounds back in the day. The best purpose for them was then pet food companies rounded them up and killed them for food.

My friend and his father who was a deputy sheriff, obtained 3 of these things. They literally climbed the walls of the barn, they never could do anything with them, and eventually sold them, which meant they were slaughtered. I strongly suggest that you look online as there were sites in people who attempt to train these animals. They built wood holding stalls higher than they could jump out of for starters. One guy had a castrated old stud, and the only way they could do anything with him, was the wood chute as that is the only place the animal would feel secure. The cattle out west are going "mad" because wolves and mountain lions are driving them that way. These mustangs are hunted by large predators and survive by being this wild. I read of a gal in Montana who had a "pet" curly stud, who one day decided to do what studs do and bit her hand, crushing it.

Most of these horses are small and inferior. If you read the history of the way Indians broke these animals in George Catlans journals, they would run these animals to ground, meaning exhaustion. Once they had them down, they would breathe into their nostrils, get on them and ride them to more exhaustion. It does not seem humane, any more than the other method of shooting them in the neck with muzzleloaders to stun them, but that is what Catlin wrote of, and mentioned a Comanche chief who was riding a stud horse, a Spanish bit had it bleeding from the mouth, and he had Mexican spurs on, and would jam them in, the horse would go wild, the chief would laugh and gallop across the plains. All that makes a person cringe now, but that is the history of this animal. They ate cottonwood bark and were abused.

There is a very good book by an American trainer that is free online from the 1800's. He had a method of roping and throwing horses to train them. There is a difference between training, gentling and breaking a horse. I have trained horses and while there are exceptions to the rule, I would advise not dealing with these animals. Teddy Roosevelt in his Ranchman and the Hunting Trail gave some statistics in if he purchased 20 horses, about 15 would either try to kill you, continue to buck or run off. He had two good horses on his ranch, one was too small and the other was an Indian trained horse he called Manitou.

If you are still wanting to do this, get your health insurance paid up, never trust that animal and never forget it was wild. You may get the 1 out of 1000 in a suitable horse. I hope it turns out for you, but there is a reason the federals had orders that people could not sell these animals, and that was because no one could handle them, and there is reason they are trying to sucker people into taking these horses, as no one wants them from past experience.
If you are looking for something to give you problems, just buy a Poco Bueno descendant, as my neighbor has one which bucked off his 70 year old dad and broke his shoulder, and I have a red roan who has attitude like a woman scorned. That is from the Quarterhorse line of race horses.

Lastly, quality hay is 35 dollars for grass and over 100 for alfalfa. 500 dollar from the government disappears fast and the 500 dollars for keeping that mustang past the first year in a second payment disappears as fast and the key word from the BLM is THE LIFETIME OF THE HORSE. What are you going to do if you have to keep that animal for 20 years, it turns out it is dangerous to people, and you have the BLM and Humane checking on you, inquiring why you are abusing that horse having it locked up all the time, because it keeps tearing through fences and you can't catch it.
There is nothing free in life and 18 years of feed at 500 dollars a year is 8000 dollars, plus the insurance if you mustang gets loose and hurts someone.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bureau...-you-1000-to-adopt-a-mustang-wild-horse/

So BLM did some simple math: Rather than pay $2,000 to care for a mustang for one year, they'll pay $1,000 to someone willing to adopt and care for a mustang over its lifetime.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750196
01/30/20 12:59 AM
01/30/20 12:59 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Star most of what you wrote is false but to each his own. My comments are all based on first hand knowledge not old journals and hearsay.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750202
01/30/20 01:08 AM
01/30/20 01:08 AM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN
I have a mare currently who is a decendant of poco, she is a total doll, alotta stereotypes do not hold true. As far as keeping a horse for it's lifetime, once you have it for a year you get the title to it and it's yours to do with as you please as long as you don't sell it for slaughter.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750204
01/30/20 01:13 AM
01/30/20 01:13 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I have a mare currently who is a decendant of poco, she is a total doll, alotta stereotypes do not hold true. As far as keeping a horse for it's lifetime, once you have it for a year you get the title to it and it's yours to do with as you please as long as you don't sell it for slaughter.

Partly correct once you have title after 1 year for an adopted horse you can do any with it you want including slaughter. You can not purchase a sale authority horse with the intention of slaughtering or transferring it to someone with the intention of slaughter.

My 23 year old daughter has started numerous poco breed horses and mustang's with no issues its all about knowing what and how to start and gentle horses.

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750209
01/30/20 01:21 AM
01/30/20 01:21 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
If anyone likes this type of stuff and wants to watch some good history shows about how cowboying developed look up the " vaqueros" series by j&s movie

Great watching

Re: Wild Horses/Mustangs [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6750217
01/30/20 01:43 AM
01/30/20 01:43 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
A friend of mine and I took his two mustangs elk hunting riding them all over the mtns they like any other animal had their quirks but they loaded up in the trailer well and hauled just as good .
Our Border Patrol uses mustangs to patrol our borders with mustangs in the hard to reach area's for motorized vehicles.

I've seen some of the adoption mustangs that were part draft horses with hooves as big as dinner plates , if I remember correctly a enclosed horse trailer is mandatory to pick up your mustang .

I wish you well on getting one personally I'd want a stud horse or a gelding have all mares or geldings have both and it's going to be a freight train wreck ha ha

Allan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread