No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
c.l.l. leukemia #6752126
01/31/20 11:54 AM
01/31/20 11:54 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline OP
trapper
west river rogue  Offline OP
trapper

Who has taken the pills and gone into remission. Dr told me yesterday she is thinking its time.....what were the good and bad of it?

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752176
01/31/20 12:40 PM
01/31/20 12:40 PM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

After the initial chemo treatments, I'm taking the imatanib. Not in remission yet but my numbers are looking good. One pill a day, it is a form of chemo, and take at the same time each day with a big meal or you will get the runs. You can't miss a day either or the cancer cells will build immunity to the pill and then you start all over. They have four different pills in the same class to switch to. I have one on me at all times. When it gets down to where they can't detect it on a molecular level, they're gonna stop the pill and see if its gone.
I feel like poop for about three hours after taking but that feeling wears off. Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752220
01/31/20 01:26 PM
01/31/20 01:26 PM
trapper
trapper

she told me no chemo just the pill if i understood her correctly...osu
I guess ill find out wednesday

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752244
01/31/20 01:52 PM
01/31/20 01:52 PM
Lufkin, Tx.
L
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper
Lufkin Trapper  Offline
trapper
L

Lufkin, Tx.
Good luck, rogue.

Billy
Member # 16.
Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752256
01/31/20 02:05 PM
01/31/20 02:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Good luck WRR.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752292
01/31/20 02:34 PM
01/31/20 02:34 PM
trapper
trapper

thanks guys

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752497
01/31/20 05:19 PM
01/31/20 05:19 PM
trapper
trapper

anybody else who has gone thru it recently have more to add?

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752555
01/31/20 06:33 PM
01/31/20 06:33 PM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
A friend of mine beat it a year or 2 ago. He had chemo, not sure about pills.

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752560
01/31/20 06:36 PM
01/31/20 06:36 PM
trapper
trapper

u never beat cll if your lucky it goes into remission
as of yet its incurable

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752564
01/31/20 06:38 PM
01/31/20 06:38 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
hoping things go well for you, good luck...keep us posted!

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752572
01/31/20 06:41 PM
01/31/20 06:41 PM
trapper
trapper

thanks

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752656
01/31/20 07:54 PM
01/31/20 07:54 PM
trapper
trapper

strange we had a few on here who told me the other yr they were treated for it and now nobody answers,,did u all die?

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752918
01/31/20 10:25 PM
01/31/20 10:25 PM
Slaughter Slough, MN
Dead Coyote Offline
trapper
Dead Coyote  Offline
trapper

Slaughter Slough, MN
I am on my fifth year of taking imbrutib aka Imbruvica. I am currently in remission and have no side affects from the drug. I see a Doctor & have a blood test every 4 months at the Mayo in Rochester. Numbers have been looking great. I have good insurance, so my co-pay is $10. I get a statement that says it is $13,800 for a 28 day prescription.

Live everyday like it is the last day of your life!
MJPPTA 1%
Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6752936
01/31/20 10:38 PM
01/31/20 10:38 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Hope you have good luck hard to keep track of the different kinds, I always thought the irradiation and bone marrow transplants cured leukimia types but I learned something today.

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: Dead Coyote] #6753221
02/01/20 05:13 AM
02/01/20 05:13 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Dead Coyote
I am on my fifth year of taking imbrutib aka Imbruvica. I am currently in remission and have no side affects from the drug. I see a Doctor & have a blood test every 4 months at the Mayo in Rochester. Numbers have been looking great. I have good insurance, so my co-pay is $10. I get a statement that says it is $13,800 for a 28 day prescription.

Thanks dead coyote,,,it was you I remember hearing from. Did you do chemo also or just the one u mentioned? She told me they are thinking of one that attacks the proteins that feed the cancer. She said most people take it well with no sickness or hair loss(no matter my hair is long gone) She said most start feeling better right away. She did mention the names of 2 drugs but I cant tell you the names. I dont feel bad,i feel very good just cant seem to get over sickness anymore

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6753340
02/01/20 08:08 AM
02/01/20 08:08 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
Good luck.God bless.

Nevada bound
Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6753345
02/01/20 08:16 AM
02/01/20 08:16 AM
trapper
trapper

thanks Bruce!

Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6753468
02/01/20 09:55 AM
02/01/20 09:55 AM
Slaughter Slough, MN
Dead Coyote Offline
trapper
Dead Coyote  Offline
trapper

Slaughter Slough, MN
I had taken chemo infusion over a year and half, and it kicked a lot of white blood cells out immediately. But after a couple years It creeped back. That’s when they told me about this drug. My WBC levels when I started chemo infusion was 240,000 per million. Normal is 6 to 10 per million. I was very lethargic with very large swollen lymph nodes and enlarged spleen to the size of a big loaf of bread in my abdomen. I still tried to work, but it was 2 hours work and 6 hours of sleep. When they offered me the prescription I immediately said yes, I will try anything not to suffer like I did before.

Last edited by Dead Coyote; 02/01/20 09:56 AM.

Live everyday like it is the last day of your life!
MJPPTA 1%
Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6753532
02/01/20 10:31 AM
02/01/20 10:31 AM
N.W. Pennsylvania
JTaddeo Offline
trapper
JTaddeo  Offline
trapper

N.W. Pennsylvania
I'm not expert or a doctor but you folks might want to take a look at medicinal mushrooms and extracts and see if they have anything to offer you....I HATE CANCER with a passion personally...

A few worth looking at IMHO,

BROWN BEECH Hypsizygus marmoreus
MAITAKE (Grifola frondosa)
KING TRUMPET POWDER (Pleurotus eryngii)
AGARICUS BLAZEI POWDER
TURKEY TAIL (Coriolus versicolor)
CORDYCEPS (Cordyceps militaris)
ANTRODIA (Antrodia camphorata)
REISHI (Ganoderma lucidum)
LION'S MANE (Hericium erinaceus)

Originally Posted by "I'll have to find the link original source of this"
BROWN BEECH Hypsizygus marmoreus

-Alternative Names: Hypsizygus tessulatus, Buna Shimeji, Hon Shimeji

-Description:
Cultivated varieties harvested in tight clusters with mushrooms attached to common base. Caps 1/2 to 1-1/2 inches wide, brownish with mottled "water spots". Stems and gills white to cream in color. Additional information and descriptions of this mushroom can be found in the Fresh Mushroom section of this website. Produced and marketed the fresh mushroom for several years. To further exploit this mushroom's unique and remarkable flavor, nutritive and medicinal qualities, we have initiated production of dehydrated, powdered fruitbodies and dehydrated, powdered mycelium cultured on organic oats. These new products are intended for the functional food, nutraceutical, and flavor/spice industries.

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides, L-Ergothioneine, Sterols, Ergosterol - Provitamin D2

-Purported Uses: Anti-oxidant, Arteriosclerosis treatments, Skin treatments, Anti-inflammatory
Immune system enhancement

-Medicinal Properties and Modes of Actions:
The Brown Beech mushroom is a highly nutritious mushroom containing significant amounts of potassium, protein, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium and Vitamin D2 (please refer to Nutrition Facts in Fresh Mushroom Products section). The Brown Beech is highly valued for its culinary properties. Recent research indicates that this mushroom also has strong medicinal activities. Unpublished research in Japan found that the addition of Beech mushrooms to the diet of mice with deficient ApoE levels reduced the density of serum cholesterol and the areas of arteriosclerosis around the heart and main artery by 74% when compared to the control group (see section titled "Recent Medical Research on Beneficial Effects of Mushrooms on Health). Matsuzawa (1998) reported that adding Beech mushroom fruitbodies to the diet of tumor-bearing mice resulted in a potent anti-tumor effect. This research suggests that the significant increases in antioxidant activities (AOA) in the plasma may be a mechanism of the cancer preventative effects.

The Beech mushroom also has been reported to have beneficial effects on skin conditions. A high-end cosmetic company (Origins) includes Hysizygus mushroom extracts in some of its skin treatment products.

-Selected References:
Ikekawa, T. et. al., 1992. "Antitumor activity of Hypsizygus marmoreus. I. Antitumor activity of extracts and polysaccharides." Chem. Pharm. Bull. 40(7):1954-1957.
Matsuzawa, T, et. al., 1997. "Studies on antioxidant effect of Hypsizygus marmoreus I. Effects of Hypsizygus marmoreus for antioxidant activities of mice plasma.
Matsuzawa, T, et al., 1998. "Studies on antioxidant effect of Hypsizygus marmoreus. II. Effects of Hypsizgus marmoreus for antioxidant activities of tumor-bearing mice". Agricultural Technology Institute of Nagano, Japan. Yakugaku Zasshi Oct; 1998(10):476-481.
Saitoh, H. et. al. 1997. "Antitumor activity of Hypsizygus marmoreus. II. Effect against lung metastasis on Lewis Lung Carcinoma. Yakugaku Zasshi 117(12)1006-1010.
Tsuchlda, K. et. al. 1995. "Isolation of a novel collagen-binding protein from the mushrooms, Hypsizygus mamoreus, which inbitis Lewis Lung Carcinoma cell adhesion to the Type IV collagen". Journal of Biological Chemistry. 270(4):1481-1484.

-MAITAKE (Grifola frondosa)

-Alternative Names: Hen-of-the-Woods, Kumotake ("Cloud Mushroom"), The Dancing Butterfly Mushroom
Sheep's Head

-Description
A large, fleshy polypore comprised of multiple, overlapping layers of caps that are 2 to 10 cm in diameter. The caps are attached to branching stems proliferating from a common base with white spores coming from white pores on the underside of the cap. There are several strains ranging in color from dark grey brown to tan yellow. The color tends to lighten as the mushrooms mature. This species is delicious and much sought after for both its culinary characteristics and its strong medicinal qualities. Medicinally active components are found in the fruit bodies and also the mycelium of this species. Dried and powdered mycelia has a pleasantly sweet taste.

Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides, both alpha- and beta-D-glucans, with 1,3 beta-D- glucans and 1,6 beta-glucans appearing to be most active. Maitake can contain up from 10 to 50% beta-glucans on a dry weight basis.
Protein, approximately 25% dry weight basis. Vitamins B1, B2, C and D2 (ergosterol), Niacin. Potassium, Magnesium, Selenium, Calcium, Phosphorus.

-Purported Uses: Cancer (especially breast, prostate and colorectal), Tumor inhibition, Diabetes, HIV-virus
Immunomodulation & Immunostimulation, High Cholesterol, Hypertension, Weight loss and control Hepatitis B

-Medicinal Properties of Modes of Action:
The National Cancer Institute tested an acid extracted fraction of the maitake mushroom on the HIV virus. The results showed significant efficacy against HIV early in 1992, one year after the National Institute of Health in Japan announced the same conclusion. It was reported that the Maitake extracts had no negative side effects for patients and was comparable in efficacy to AZT.

This mushroom contains high concentrations of 1,6 beta-D-glucans. These compounds exert their effects by activating various effector cells such as macrophages, natural killer cells, T cells, interleukin-1 and superoxide anions, components of our bodies' immune system all of which have anti-cancer activity. These glucans were first characterized by Ohno et al. 1986. His work showed strong anti-tumor activity in mice against solid tumors. In his study, one-third to one-half of the tumors showed complete remission. In an in vitro study by Lovy et al., 1999, a water extract of Maitake significantly slowed the growth of T-4 leukemia and Hela cervical cancer cells. Nanba, 1997, reported results of a clinical study of 165 advanced stage (III-IV) cancer patients who received Maitake extracts. Tumor regression or significant symptom improvements were observed in 11 of 15 breast-cancer patients, 12 of 18 lung-cancer patients and 7 of 15 liver-cancer patients. These response rates improved 12 to 28% if Maitake was administered in addition to chemotherapy.

Kubo, et al. (1994) reported that Maitake appeared to help lower and moderate glucose levels and reduce insulin resistance. Studies by Konno et al. (2001) and Manohar (2002) also suggest that Maitake may be useful in modulating glucose levels in diabetic patients.

In clinical trials with 32 chronic hepatitis B patients, there was a 72% recovery rate in the Maitake group as compared to 57% in the control group. Seroconversion from HBeAg positive to negative was 44% in the Maitake group as compared to 13% in the control group (Wu
Research in Japan has shown that Maitake increases the recovery ability of skin that has been subjected to stress and also increases the amount of blood flow to the skin (see Section "Recent Unpublished Medical Research)

-Selected References:
Adachi, K. et al., 1987. "Potentiation of host-mediated antitumor activity of in mice by B-glucan obtained from Grifola frondosa (Maitake) Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 35:262-270.
Adachi, K. et al., 1988. "Blood pressure lowering activity present in the fruit body of Grifola frondosa (Maitake)". Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 3:1000-1006.
Fullerton, S.A., A.A. Samadi, D.G. Tortorelis, C. Mallouh, H. Tazaki & S. Kunno, 2000. "Induction of Apoptosis in Human Prostatic Cancer Cells with Beta-Glucan(Maitake Mushroom Polysaccharide). Molecular Urology. 41): 7-13.
Exploration of effective treatments of prostate cancer with extract of the Maitake mushrooms.
Kubo, K., H. Aoki, H. Nanda, 1994. "Anti-diabetic activity present in the fruit body of Grifola frondosa (Maitake)". Biol. Pharm. Bull. 17(8): 1106-1110.
Konno, S., D. Tortorelis, S. Fullerton, A. Samadi, J. Hettiarcarchchi, & H. Tazaki, 2001. "A possible hypoglycaimic effect of maitake mushroom on Type 2 diabetic patients". Diabetes Medicine Dec: 18(12):1010.
Konno, S. et al., 2002. " The anticancer and hypoglycemic effects of polysaccharides in edible and medicinal Maitake mushroom (Grifola frondosa (Dicks.: Fr.) S.F. Gray). International Journal of medicinal mushrooms. 4:185-195.
Lovy, A., B. Knowles, R. Labbe, L. Nolan, 1999. "Activity of edible mushrooms against the growth of human T4 leukemia cancer cells and Plasmodium falciparum" Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants. 6(4): 49-57.
Manohar, V., N. Talpur, B. Echard, S. Liberman, & H. Preuss, 2002. "Effects of a water soluble extract of maitake mushroom on circulating glucose/insulin concentrations in KK mice" Diabetes Obes Metab Jan: 4 (1):43-48.
Nanba, H., 1992. "Immunostimulant activity in-vivo and anti-HIV activity in-vitro of 3 branched beta 1-6 glucans extracted from Maitake mushrooms (Grifola frondosa)".Proceedings of the VIII International Conference on AID and the III STD World Congress.
Nanba, H., 1997. "Maitake D-fraction: Healing and Preventative Potential for Cancer". Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. Vol. 12: 43-49.
Ohno, N. et al., 1986. "Characterization of the anti-tumor glucan obtained from liquid-cultured Grifola frondosa". Chem Pharm Bull. 34:1709-1715.
Zhuang, C. and Takashi Mizuno. 1999. "Biological responses from Grifola frondosa (Dick.:Fr.) S.F. Gray - Maitake (Aphyllphoromomycetideae). International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. 1:317-324.
Research on the antitumor activity, immunological enhancement, cytotoxicity, anti-HIV activity, antihypertensive activity, antidiabetic activity, antihyperlipemic activity, and antiobesity activity of the delicious Maitake mushrooms.

KING TRUMPET POWDER (Pleurotus eryngii)

-Product Description: Dehydrated, finely ground King Trumpet mycelium cultured on organic whole oats supplemented with mineral Selenium

-Mushroom Description:
A large, stout, thickly-fleshed mushroom highly valued for its superior texture, flavor and shipping qualities. Produced and marketed the fresh mushroom for several years. To further exploit this mushroom's unique and remarkable flavor, nutritive and medicinal qualities, we have initiated production of dehydrated, powdered fruitbodies and dehydrated, powdered mycelium cultured on organic oats. These new products are intended for the functional food, nutraceutical, and flavor/spice industries.

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides: Beta-1,3-D-glucan, Pleuran, Pleureryn, L-Ergothioneine, Chelated selenium, Lectins, Peptides: Pleurostrin

-Purported Uses: Anti-oxidant, Cholesterol lowering, Bone health, Anti-tumoral, Immunostimulation

-Medicinal Activities and Modes of Action:
The anti-oxidative properties of both the mycelia and fruitbody of the King Trumpet mushrooms are primarily due to the high content of L- ergothioneine (LE), a naturally occurring antioxidant amino acid. LE is an essential amino acid, meaning that the body cannot produce it and must obtain it from outside sources. The compound has a very high ORAC value (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) and is found in the human body in high levels in regions of high oxidative stress such as the kidneys, liver, and eyes. The King Trumpet has recently been found to contain up to 40 times the amount of L-ergothioneine found in wheat bran, the food previously thought to contain the highest level of this important antioxidant (Dubost et al., 2005). Antioxidants such as LE are believed to reduce the risk of chronic disease by limiting damaging cell oxidation in the human body.

The mycelia of the King Trumpet mushroom have the ability to extract and concentrate high levels of selenium from its environment (Stajic et al., 2006). The selenium in mushroom tissue is organically bound and much easier to absorb than inorganic selenium in most vitamin supplements. Selenium is another important antioxidant. Deficiencies of selenium have been associated with increased risk of cancer.

In studies of a closely related species, Pleurotus ostreatus, strong antitumor activity was observed when the mushroom was included in the diet of mice. The tuber inhibition rate reached 79.4%. Against a mammary tumor system (MM-46) there was an 89.7% inhibition rate (Mori et al., 1986). Yoshioka et al. (1972) reported an acidic polysaccharide fraction of this mushroom showed a 95% tumor inhibition rate against sarcoma 180. Zusman et al. (1997), reported that when rats were fed corncobs partially colonized by Oyster mushroom, they were significantly protected from treatment with chemicals which otherwise induced colon cancer in rats who were fed corncobs without mycelium. A lectin isolated from the fruiting bodies of P. ostreatus demonstrated antitumor activity in mice bearing sarcoma and hepatoma (Wang et al., 2000)The King Trumpet Oyster mushroms would be expected to have similar effects. Recent studies show that Pleurotus species naturally produce a form of Lavistatin, a patented drug (Bobek et al., 1999). Lavistatin was approved by the FDA in 1987 for treating high levels of blood cholesterol. In animal studies, oyster mushrooms significantly enhanced plasma cholesterol turnover by 50% with a corresponding 25% decrease in liver cholesterol levels as compared to controls (Bobek et al., 1995). Other animal studies have shown significant reductions in serum and liver cholesterol levels when dried and powdered mushrooms were included in the animal diets, even with high-fat diets and in animals with hereditary high cholesterol levels (Bobek et al., 1991a, 1991b &1993). Recent animal research from Japan (see section "Recent Unpublished Medical Research") concluded that the high fiber content of the King Trumpet mushroom (P. eryngii) promoted the discharge of cholesterol by the liver and inhibited absorption of cholesterol.

Selected References:
Bobek,, P., et al. 1991b. "Effects of mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus and isolated fungal polysaccharide on the serum and liver lipids in Syrian hamsters with hyperlipidemia". Nutrition 7:105-108.
Bobek P., et al., 1991a. "Cholesterol-lowering effect of the mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus hereditary hypocholesterolemic rats". Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 35:191-195.
Bobek, P., O. Ozdin & M. Mikus, 1995. "Dietary oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) accelerates cholesterol turnover in hypercholesterolaemic rats". Physiological Research 44(5):287-291.

Bobek, P., E. Ginter, M. Jurcovicova, & L. Kuniak, 1999. "Actual reviews for selected medicinal properties of mushrooms. Cholesterol reducing effects of Pleurotus species (Agaricomycetidease) (Abstracts of papers published in 1991-1999". International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, vol 1, pp.371-380.
Bobek, P. and S. Galbavy, 2001. "Effect of pleuran (beta glucan from Pleurotus ostreatus) on the antioxidant status of the organism and on dimethylhydrazine-induced pre-cancerous lesions in rat colon". British Journal of Biomedical Science 58(3):164-168. Dubost N. J., R. Beelman and D. Peterson, 2005. "Identification and quantification of ergothioneine in cultivated mushrooms by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry". View Article
Gunde-Cimerman, N. 1999. "Medicinal value of the genus Pleurotus (Fr.) P.Kast. (Agaricales s.1., Basiomyceltes)" International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, vol. 1, pp. 69-80.
Mori, K. et al., 1987. "Antitumor effects of edible mushrooms by oral administration". From Wuesst, P.J. et al. (eds.). Cultivating Edible Fungi. Amsterdam: Elsevier:1-6.
Stajic, M. et al., 2006. "Screening of selenium absorption ability of mycelia of selected Pleurotus species". AgroFood Industry. May/June 17(3) View Article
Wang, H., J. Gao, & T. Ng, 2000. "A new lectin with highly potent antihepatoma and antisarcoma activities from the oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus". Biochem Biophys Res Commun 275(3):810-816.
Wang, H. and T. Ng, 2001. "Pleureryn, a novel protease from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Pleurotus eryngii". Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 289(3):750-755. View Article
Yoshioka, Y. et al. 1972. "Studies on antitumor activity of some fractions from basidiomycetes. I. An antitumor acidic polysaccharide fraction of P. ostreatus" (Fr.) Quel. Chem Pharm Bull. 20:1175-1180.
Zusman, I., et al., 1997. "Role of apoptosis, proliferating cell nuclear antigen and p53 protein in chemically induced colon cancer in rats fed corncob treated with the fungus Pleurotus ostreatus". Anticancer Research May/June 17(3C):2105-2113.

AGARICUS BLAZEI POWDER

-Product Description: Dehydrated, finely ground Agaricus blazei mycelium cultured on organic whole oats.

-Alternative Names: Agaricus brasiliensis, Royal Sun Agaricus, King Agaricus, Almond Portobello, Himematsutake, Kawariharatake, Songrong, Cogmelo de Dues (Mushroom of God)

-Mushroom Description:
In the same genus as the common button mushroom, this large and robust tropical species is found in Brazil and also in the southeastern United States. The thick, tall stem is whitish and bruises golden when handled or cut. The cap is whitish-brown with chocolate-brown gills and spores on the underside when mature. Both the fruitbodies and cultured mycelia have a wonderful, pervasive almond flavor and fragrance.

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides: A wide range of alpha- and alpha-D-glucans; beta- and beta-D-glucans, Proteoglucan, Riboglucans, Anti-angiogenic compounds, Sterols: Ergosterol

-Purported Uses: Anti-tumor, Anti-cancer, Anti-viral, Arteriosclerosis, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hyperlipidemia, Immune enhancing, Stimulant

-Medicinal Properties and Modes of Actions
The anti-tumor properties of this mushroom have been attributed to its high content of polysaccharides and antiangiogenic compounds. Such effects are thought to be exerted by immunopotentiation and/or direct inhibition of angiogenesis (the process whereby blood supply to tumors is increased) (Ahn et al., 2004; Lee et al., 2003;Takaku et al., 2002). Interestingly, a unique potein-bound polysaccharide ("Atom") was found to have no activity against four cancers in vitro (in a test tube)but had pronounced and significant activity in vivo (in a living creature) (Ito et al. 1997). This suggests a host-mediated immune response mechanism.

Hot water extracted beta-glucans from Agaricus blazei show overall anti-diabetic activity including antihyperglcemic, antihypertriglyceridemic, anticholesterolemic, and antiarteriosclerotic activity (Kim et al., 2005). Agaricus blazei has been shown to stimulate and modulate the immune system. Fujiyama et al. (1999) reported that the beta-glucans in this mushroom activated the immune response to abnormal cells, but had no effect on normal cells.

Selected References:
Ahn, W.S. et al., 2004. "Natural killer cell activity and quality of life were improved by consumption of a mushroom extract, Agaricus blazei Murill., in gynecological cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy". Int J Gynecol Cancer 14(4):589-594.
Fujimiya, Y., Y. Suzuki, K. Oshiman, H. Kobori, K. Moriguchi, H. Nakasima, Y. Matumoto, S. Takahara, T. Ebina, R. Kakkura. 1998. "Selective tumorcidal effect of soluble proteoglucan extracted from the basidiomycete, Agaricus blazei Murrill, mediated via natural killer cell activation and apoptosis". Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy. 46:147-159. View Article

Fujiyama, Y. et al., 1999. "Tumor-specific cytocidal and immunopotentiating effects of relatively low molecular weight products derived from the Basiodiomycete, Agaricus blaxei MurRill." Anticancer Research 19:113-118.
Ito, H., K. Shimura, H. Itoh & M. Kawade, 1997. " Antitumor effects of a new polysaccharide protein complex (ATOM) prepared from Agaricus blazei Murrill. (Iwade strain 101) "Himematsutake" and its mechanisms in tumor-bearing mice" Anticancer Research Jan-Feb 17(1A): 277-284.
Kim, Y.W. et al., 2005. "Anti-diabetic activity of beta-glucans and their enzymatically hydrolyzed ogliosaccharides from Agaricus blazei" Biotechnol 27(7): 483-487.
Lee, Y. et al., 2003. "Oral administration of Agaricus blazei (H1 strain) inhibited tumor growth in a sarcoma 180 inoculation model". Exp Anim 52(5):371-375.
Mizuno, M., M. Mizumoto, K. Minato, and H. Tsuchida, 1998. "Polysaccharides from Agaricus blazei stimulate lymphocyte T-cell subsets in mice". Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry Mar; 62(3):434-437. View Article
Takaku, T., Y. Kimura & H. Okuda, 2001. "Isolation of an antitumor compound from Agaricus blazei Murrill and its mechanism of action" J Nutrition 131(5)1409-1413.

TURKEY TAIL (Coriolus versicolor)

-Product Description: Dehydrated, finely ground Turkey Tail mycelium cultured on organic whole oats

-Mushroom Description:
A fan-shaped bracket fungus with wavy margins often forming overlapping layers of fruitbodies. The fruitbodies are multicolored with zonate regions of grays & browns, reds, blues, greens and white. True to their name, they actually resemble turkey tails. The underside of the caps covered with whitish pores. Widely distributed throughout the world, this mushroom has been used for medicinal purposes by Asians for thousands of years. The fruitbodies are tough and woody and are extracted by boiling in water for use in teas or in soups. Active ingredients are found in both the fruitbodies and mycelia of this species. Dried fruitbody and mycelial powders are slightly bitter in taste.

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharide-K (PSK), Polysaccharide-P (PSP), Coriolan, Triterpenoids, Sterols

-Purported Uses: Gastric cancer, Colorectal cancer, Cancer metastasis, Inhibition of HIV replication, Non-small cell lung cancer, Leukemia, Anti-bacterial, Anti-viral, High cholesterol lowering

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Turkey Tail is used to clear dampness, reduce phlegm, heal pulmonary disorders, strengthen the physique, increase energy and benefit people with chronic diseases (Yang & Yong, 1989, Ying et al., 1987). Chinese medical doctors consider it a useful treatment for infection and/or inflammation of the upper respiratory, urinary and digestive tracts. Turkey Tail is also regarded as curative to liver ailments (including hepatitis B and chronic active hepatitis) and is used to treat general weakness of the immune system (Ying et al., 1987)

Krestin (PSK), a proprietary anticancer drug approved in Japan, is extracted from the Turkey Tail mushroom and accounted for 25.2% of the total Japanese national expenditure for anticancer agents. Nakazato et al. (1994), reported that 262 gastric cancer patients treated with PSK as an adjunct to chemotherapy showed a decrease in cancer reoccurrence and a significant increase in disease-free survival rate. Kobayashi et al. (1995) reported that the protein-bound polysaccharide PSK reduced cancer metastasis. Sakagami et al. (1993) reported that PSK stimluted interleukin-1 and interferon production in human cells. Other researchers have reported that PSK appears to be a scavenger of free-radical oxidizing compounds. Unlike many conventional anticancer drugs, PSK produces few, if any, side effects and shows no immunosuppressive activity.

PSP, a water soluble, low-cytotoxic polysaccharidepeptide appears to induce cytokine production and T-cell proliferation. Collins and Ng (1997) based on an in vitro study proposed the use of PSP as an antiviral agent for the inhibition of HIV replication. In a controlled clinical trial of 485 cancer patients (211 control patients) with cancers of the esophagus, stomach and spleen; treatment with PSP in combination with radio- and chemo-therapies was investigated. In the PSP group, the side effects from the conventional therapies (pain, poor apetite, fatigue, weakness, dryness of throat and mouth) was significantly lessened and body weight, T-cell ratios, NK cell activity and IL-2 levels were significantly increased. PSP also raised the one year survival rate of esophageal cancer patients by 11% and significantly increased remission rates when compared with conventional chemotherapy treatments.

The medicinally active components of Turkey Tail are considered to be biological response modifiers which induce immune responses including the increased production of gamma interferon, interleukin-2 and T-cells. Reported adverse reactions to Turkey Tail are rare.

Selected References:
Collins, R.A., and T.B. Ng. 1997. "Polysaccharides from Coriolus versicolor has potential for use against human immunodeficiency virus type I infection". Life Sciences. 60(25):383-387. View Article
Nakazato, H., A Koike, S. Saji, N. Ogawa & J. Sakamoto, 1994. "Efficacy of immunotherapy as adjuvant treatment after curataive resection of gastric cancer". The Lancet May7,343: 1122-1126.
Ng, T.B. 1998. "A Review of Research on the Protein-Bound Polysaccharide (Polysaccharopeptide, PSP) for the Mushroom Coriolus versicolor (Basidiomycetes: Polyporaceae)". Gen. Pharmac. 30(1): 1-4.
Tsang, K. et al., 2003. "Coriolus versicolor polysaccharide perp
Tochikura et al. 1987. "A biological response modifier, PSK, inhibits immunodeficiency virus in-vitro". Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 148: 726-733.
Tsang, K. 20003. "Coriolus versicolor polysaccharide peptide slows progression of advanced non-small cell lung cancer". Respir Med. 97:618-624.
Torisu, M., Y. Ishimitsu, T. Fujimora, K. Katano, H. Yamamoto, Y. Kimua, M. Takesue, M. Kondo, & K. Nomoto, 1990. "Significant prolongation of disease-free period gained by oral polysaccharide K (PSK) administration after curative surgical operation of colorectal cancer" Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy 31:261-268.
Tsukagoshi, S., Y. Hashimoto, G. Fujii, H. Kobayashi, K. Nomoto, & K. Orita, 1984. "Krestin (PSK)." Cancer Treatment Review 11:131-155. View Article
Yang, Q.Y., et al., 1993. "A new biological response modifier - PSP". From Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products S. Chang et al. (eds.) Hong Kong. The Chinese University Press, 247-259.
Yang, Q.Y. & S. C. Jong, 1989. "Medicinal Mushrooms in China". Mushroom Science XII (Part 1) 631-643. Proceedings of the Twelve International Congress on the Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi. From K. Grabbe & O. Hilber (eds.). Braunschweig, Germany.
Ying, J. et al., 1987. Icons of Medicinal Fungi from China. Translated by C. Yuehan. Beijing: Science Press.

CORDYCEPS (Cordyceps militaris)

-Product Description: Dehydrated, finely ground Cordyceps mycelium cultured on organic whole oats

-Mushroom Description:
There are many species of Cordyceps mushrooms distributed throughout the world. Two species, C. sinensis and C. militaris, have attracted considerable attention from the medical community in recent years due to their potent medicinal qualities. Both of these species are parasites on the larvae of caterpillars of moths. C. sinensis is native to remote, high elevations of Tibet and southern China. Traditional Chinese medicine generally involves the consumption of both the mushroom fruitbody and the parasitized larvae. The fruitbodies are small, blade-like and difficult to find and thus are rare and expensive. Additionally, there are concerns regarding microbial contamination when consuming dead carcasses of larvae. Scientists have developed techniques to culture and ferment the mycelia of these species. Culture of the mycelia without the caterpillar has enabled the production of consistant products with equal or greater potency than the natural form.

-Known Active Constituents: Cordycepin (3-deooxyadenosine), Cordycepic acid *Sterols: ergosterol, Polysaccharides

-Purported Uses: Immunostimulation & Immunomodulation, Anti-tumor, Bronchitis, Asthma, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis
High blood cholesterol, Impotence, Liver disease, Anti-fatigue, Anti-inflammatory, Atherosclerosis

In Traditional Chinese medicine, Cordyceps has a long history of use as a lung and kidney tonic, to increase sperm production and for the treatment of chronic bronchitis, asthma, tuberculosis and other diseases of the respiratory system. Chinese herbalists believe that Cordyceps replenishes Yin and Yang Jing and restores the deep energy expended as a result of extreme exertion or stress or from aging. Cordyceps captured the attention of the West in 1993 during the Chinese National Games where a team of nine Chinese women runners shattered 9 world records, including breaking the 10,000 meter run by an astounding 42 seconds. The athletes' coach attributed their performance in part to the use of Cordyceps (Steinkraus et a. 1994).

Lou et al. (1986) reported that Cordyceps increased the survival times of mice kept in low oxygen environments. Cordyceps appeared to help the mice utilize oxygen more efficiently and increased oxygen absorption by as much as 40%. This activity may help to explain the extraordinary performance the Chinese athletes.

Regular ingestion of Cordyceps appears to ameliorate the effects of aging. In placebo-controlled clinical studies of elderly patients with fatigue and other senescence-related symptoms (Cao & Wen, 1993; Zhang et al., 1995), patients receiving Cordyceps exhibited clinical improvements including significant alleviation of fatigue, cold intolerance, dizziness, frequent nocturia, tinnitus, hyposexuality, and amnesia. Placebo-treated patients exhibited no improvement in symptoms.

The fruitbody and mycelia of Cordyceps have been shown to be potent immunopotentiators. Several studies have demonstrated the Cordyceps has a wide range of immunostimulating and immunomodulating activities (Koh et al, 1994; Kuo et al, 2005; Ng et al, 2005). In a clinical study of 36 patients with advanced breast and lung cancer, Cordyceps restored immunological function (Zhou & Lin, 1995).

Many researchers have studied and reported on the anti-cancer and anti-tumor activities of Cordyceps (Chen et al., 1997; Kuo et al., 1994; Yoshida, 1989). Li et al. (2001) reported strong anti-oxidation activity in Cordyceps and that the activity in cultured mycelium was equal or greater to that in the natural form.

Cordyceps has also been shown to have cholesterol-reducing and general cardiotonic properties (Chiou et al., 2000; Lou et al., 1986; Yamaguchi, et al. 2000). Cordyceps appears to inhibit cholesterol deposition in the aorta by inhibiting LDL oxidation. Geng et al. (1985) in a 2 month long controlled clinical study of 273 patients with hyperlipdemia, reported that Cordyceps reduced total cholesterol blood level by 17.5% and triglyceride level by 9.9%. No serious side effects were reported.

The long history of use of Cordyceps in Traditional Chinese Medicine to restore and enhance sexual function has been validated by research. Wan et al. (1988), conducted a clinical trial with 189 patients who reported decreased sex drives. Those patients receiving Cordceps reported significant improvement when compared to those patients receiving placebos. In another trial involving 22 male patients with impotence (Guo, 1986), after treatment with Cordyceps more than one-third of the patients were able to engage in sexual intercourse and more than one-half experienced improvement. Yang et al. (1995), in another clinical trial reported that treatment with Cordyceps significantly increased the sex drive of patients with low libido. Several animal studies involving Cordyceps have demonstrated the significant enhancement of sexual function in mice and rabbits. Lin et al. (2007) reported that supplementation of the diet with Cordyceps militaris mycelium significantly improved sperm quality and quantity in subfertile boars.

Selected References:
Chen, Y.J., 1997. "Effect of Cordyceps sinensis on the proliferation and differentiation of human leukemic U937 cells." Life Sciences 60 (25):2349-2359.
Halpern, G.M., 1999. "Cordyceps: China's Healing Mushroom" Avery Publishing Group, Garden City Park, New York
Koh, J.H., K. Yu, H. Suh, Y. Choi, & Y. Ahn, 2002. " Activation of macrophages and the intestinal immune system by an orally administered decoction from cultured medium of Corydyceps sinensis". Biosci Biotechno Biochem Feb; 66(2)407-411.
Kuo, Y.C., W. Tsai, M. Shiao, C. Chen, C. Lin, 1996. "Cordyceps sinensis as an immunomodulatory agent". American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. XXIV, No. 2, pp. 111-121
Li, S.P., P. Li, T. Dong, & K. Tsim, 2001. "Anti-oxidation activity of different types of natural Cordyceps sinensis and cultured Cordyceps mycelia". Phytomedicine May; 8(3)207-212. View Article
Lin, Wen-Hung, & Mun-Ta Tsai, 2007. "Improvement of sperm production in subfertile boars by Cordyceps militaris supplement". American Journal of Chinese Medicine 35(4)631-641.
Ng, T.B. & HX Wang, 2005. "Pharmacological actions of Cordyceps, a prized folk medicine". J. Pharm Pharmacol. Dec; 57(12): 1509-1519. View Article
Steinkrauss, D. C. & J. Whitfield, 1994. " Chinese caterpiller fungus and world records". American Entomologist Winter 235-239. Won, S.Y and Eun-Hee Park. "Anti-inflammatory and related pharmacological activities of cultured mycelia and fruiting bodies of Cordyceps militaris". 2005. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 96(3): 555-561. View Article
Yu, Hui Mei et al. 2006. "Comparison of protective effects between Cordyceps militaris and natural Cordyceps sinensis against oxidative damage". J. Agric. Food Chem. 54(8) 3132-38.
Zhou, D. H. & L. Lin, 1995. "Effect of Jinshubao capsule on the immunological function of 36 patients with advanced cancer" Chung-Kuo-Chung-His-I-Chieh-Ho-Tsa-Chih Aug: 15:8):476-478.
Zhu, J.S., G.M. Halpern, & K. Jones. 1998. "The scientific rediscovery of an ancient Chinese herbal medicine: Cordyceps sinensis Part I". The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 4(3): 289-303.
Zhu, J.S., G.M. Halpern, & K. Jones. 1998. "The scientific rediscovery of an ancient Chinese herbal regimen: Cordyceps sinensis Part II". The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 4(4): 429-457.

ANTRODIA (Antrodia camphorata)

-Product Description: Dehydrated, finely ground Antrodia mycelium cultured on organic whole oats

-Alternative Names: Niu-Chang-Chih, Niu-Chang, Niu-Chang-ku

-Mushroom Description:
Antrodia camphorata is a highly valued polypore mushroom native to only to Taiwan. This orange-red to brown-red colored mushrooms are very bitter in taste with a camphor aroma. The mushroom grows only on one species of rainforest tree that is also native only to Taiwan, Cinnamomum kanehirai, usually in hollow areas of the trunks of mature trees. The host tree is related to the Camphor tree and contains highly aromatic oils. In Taiwan, this endemic tree species is highly valued for manufacturing furniture. The tree is becoming increasingly rare and is now protected by the government. Consequently, it has become increasingly difficult to find Antrodia fruitbodies in the forest and the price for high-quality fruitbodies has increased dramatically. Scientists have recently developed techniques to culture the mycelia of this mushroom in submerged liquid culture and also with Solid State Fermentation (SSF) methodologies. Both the fruitbodies and mycelia have been proven to contain powerful, medicinally-active compounds. We are the first company in the West to successfully cultivate the mycelia of this unique species.

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides, Triterpenoids, Sterols

-Purported Uses: Anti-cancer, Hepatoprotection (liver protection), Treatment of alcohol induced hepatitis, Anti-bacterial, Anti-oxidant, Anti-inflammation, Anti-allergenic, Anti-fatigue, Immunity enhancement, Blood circulation improvement

Antrodia is well-known and highly valued as a medicinal mushroom in Taiwan, but it is relatively unknown outside of Taiwan and virtually unknown in the Western world.

In Traditional Taiwanese Medicine, Antrodia is commonly used as a anti-cancer, anti-itching, anti-allergy, and liver protective drug. Scientific research have also shown that the mushroom can be useful in the treatment of diabetes, cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, hepatitis, and many types of cancers including liver, lung, cervical, colon, and breast cancers and also leukemia and adenoma.

Recent research from Taiwan has shown that Antrodia camphorata crude extract (ACCE) does indeed have strong activity against prostate, breast and bladder cancer. Kuan-Chou Chen et al. (2007) found inhibits prostate cancer cells and concluded that Antrodia camphorata “due to its nontoxicity, might be used as a good adjuvant anticancer therapy for prostate cancers. Chiumg-Chi Peng et al. (2007) found that ACCE showed rather significant inhibitory effects on the growth and proliferation of invasive transitional bladder cell carcinomas cells. You-Cheng Hsu et al. (2006) reported that Antrodia exerts growth inhibition on highly-invasive estrogen-nonresponsive human breast cancer cells through apoptosis induction associated with COX-2 inhibition. Chen, Kuan-Chou et al. 2007. Unique Formosan mushroom Antrodia camphorata differentially inhibits androgen-responsive LNCaP and independent PC-3 prostate cancer cell Nutrition and Cancer 57(1): 111-121.

Selected References:
Cheng, J., et. al., 2005. "Characterization and functional study of Antrodia camphorata Lipopolysaccharide" J. Agric. Food Chem. 53(2), 469-747.
Hseu, YC, et al., 2006> Inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 and induction of apoptosis in estrogen-nonresponsive breast cancer cells by Antrodia camphorata Food and Chemical Toxicology 45:1107-1115.
Hseu, YC, et al., 2002. "Protection of oxidative damage by aqueous extract from Antrodia camphorate mycelia in normal human erythrocytes". Life Sci. June 14;71(4):469-482.
Lee, IH, RL Huang, CT Chen, HC Chen, WC Hsu & MK Lu, 2002. "Antrodia camporata polysaccharides exhibit anti-hepatitus B virus effects" FEMS Microbiol. Lett. March 19, 209(1): 63-67.
Lu, JJ., et al., 2004. "Antitumor effects of the partially purified polysaccharides from Antrodia camphorata and the mechanism of its action". Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. Dec. 1;201(2):186-193.
Mau, JL, et. al., 2004. "Antioxidant properties of methanolic extracts from two kinds of Antrodia camphorata mycelia". Food Chemistry 86:25-31.
Peng, Chiung-Chi et al. 2007. Antrodia camphorata extract induces replicative senescence in superficial TCC, and inhibits the absolute migration capability in invasive bladder carcinoma cells. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 109(1):93-103.
Song TY, SL Hsu & GC Yen, 2005. "Induction of apoptosis in huma hepatoma cells by mycelia of Antrodia camphorata in submerged culture". J. Ethnopharmacol. Aug. 22;100(1-2):158-167.
Wang, GJ., et al., 2003. "The vasorelaxation of Antrodia camphorata mycelia: involvement of endothelial Ca(2+)-NO-cGMP pathway". Life Sci. Oct. 10;73(21)2769-2783.
Wu, S-H, L. Ryvarden & T-T. Chang, 1997. "Antrodia camphorata ("niu-chang-chih"), new combination of a medicinal mushroom in Taiwan" Bot. Bull. Acad. Sin. 38:273-275.

REISHI (Ganoderma lucidum)

-Product Description: Dehydrated, finely ground Reishi mycelium cultured on organic whole oats

-Alternative Names: Ling Zhi (Mushroom of Immortality), Mannentake, Varnished Conk, Artists' Conk, Panacea Polypore

-Mushroom Description:
A woody textured mushroom with a shiny cap surface from yellow to dull red to brown in color often with zonations from concentric growth pattern. Pores on underside of cap are whitish, stem is white to yellow eventually darkening to brown or black. Widely distributed throughout the world especially in subtropical regions. Medicinally active components are found in the fruitbodies, spores and mycelia of this species.

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides; beta-D-glucans, Ganoderans, Triterpenes: ganoderic & ganoderenic acids
Sterols: Ergosterol, Coumarin, Triterpenoids

-Purported Uses: Antitumor, Antiviral, Cholesterol reducing, Anti-fatigu, HIV and AIDS, Hypertension, Immunostimulation, Anti-inflammatory, Strength & Stamina.

-Medicinal Properties and Modes of Actions
Ganoderma mushroom species have been used for a variety of medicinal purposes thoughout the world for many centuries. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Reishi is considered warming and acts to nourish, tonify, remove toxins, and disperse accumulation (Hsu et al., 1986). It has also been used in China and other parts of Asia to treat many age-related diseases such as coronary heart disease, chronic bronchitis, hypertension, and cancer (Chen & Zhang, 1987). Reishi has traditionally been used in Japanese folk medicine to help treat cancer, heart disease, liver problems, high blood pressure, joint inflammation, ulcers and other diseases (Matsumoto, 1979). The Japanese government has officially listed Reishi as an approved adjunct herb for the treatment of cancer (Willard, 1990) As drug resistance and toxicity become ever more significant hindrances to successful treatment of chronic diseases, herbal medicines represent useful supplements to existing antibiotics and chemotherapeutic agents. Polysaccharides and triterpenoids from Ganoderma have shown activities against Herpes simple virus, Hepatitus B virus, HIV, and Epstein-Barr virus in vitro and in animal studies. In a clinical study by Gao et al. (2005), treatment of hepatitis B patients with Ganoderma polysaccharides resulted in significantly decreased serum HBV DNA and hepatitis B e antigen levels.

Reishi primarily acts as a biological response modifier (BRM). Most of the biological activity in this mushroom comes from triterpenes and polysaccharides. Zhou et al. (2002) isolated more than 100 polysaccharides and 119 triterpenes from Reishi. The triterpenes are reported to have adaptogenic, antihypertensive, and anti-allergenic effects.
Berger et al. (2004) on the basis of in vitro and animal studies, envisions new cholesterol-lowering foods and medicines containing Reishi.
Recent research has shown Reishi to be a potent anti-inflammatory agent and that the mushroom may be useful in the treatment of such diverse diseases as Alzheimers Disease and Cardiovascular disease (Stavinoha, 1995).

-Selected References
Information on Reishi: http://www.reishi.com/research.htm
Excellent on-line source of information and research on Reishi.
Berger, A. et al., 2004. "Cholesterol lowering properties of Ganoderma lucidum in vitro, ex vivo, and in hamsters and pigs". Lipids Health Dis. Feb 18;3:2. View Article
Chen, K. & W. Chang, 1987. "Advances on anti-aging herbal medicinals in China". Abstracts of Chinese Medicines 1:309-330.
Eo, S.K., Y.S. Kim, C.K. Lee, S.S. Han, 2000. "Possible mode of antiviral activity of acidic protein bound polysaccharide isolated from Ganoderma lucidum on herpes simplex viruses". Journal of Ethnopharmacology Oct. 72(3): 475-481. Abstract of article about the Reishi mushroom: View Article
Gao, Y., W. Tang, H. Gao, E. Chan, J. Lan, X. Li, & S. Zhoi, 2005. "Antimicrobial activity of the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma". Food Reviews International. 21(2):211-229.View Article
Hattori, M. 1997. "Inhibitory effects of components from Ganoderma lucidum on the growth of immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and the protease activity". Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Ganoderma lucidum in Japan Nov. 17-18th, Tokyo. pp. 128-135.
Hsu, H-Y., 1986. "Oriental Materia Medica, a Consise Guide. Long Beach: Oriental Healing Arts Institute.Matsomoto, K. 1979. The Mysterious Reishi Mushroom. Santa Barbara: Woodbridge Press Publishing Company.Shiao, MS 2003. "Natural products of the medicinal fungus Ganoderma lucidum: occurrence, biological activities, and pharmacological functions." Chem Rec. 3(3):172-180. View Article
Stavinoha, W., N. Satsangi & S. Weitraub, 1995. "Study of the anti-inflammatory efficacy of Ganoderma lucidum. In: Recent Advances in Ganoderma lucidum research (pp3-7). Seoul, Korea: The Pharmaceutical Society of Korea
Willard, T. 1990. The Reishi Mushroom: Herb of Spiritual Potency and Medical Wonder. Sylvan Press, Vancouver, B.C., Canada

LION'S MANE (Hericium erinaceus)

-Alternative Names: Hericium erinaceum, Pom Pom, Monkey's Head, Yamabushitake, Sheep's Head, Hedge Hog
Houtou

-Description:
A "toothed" fungi consisting composed of downward cascading spines in the wild. Cultivated varieties usually harvested as roundish mounds of tissue before the spines have elongated. Typically whitish in color, discoloring to yellow or brown with age. This mushroom is popular with gourmet chefs for its distinctive seafood-like flavor which some people describe as being very similar to lobster. Both the fruitbodies and mycelium of the species have been found to contain a variety of medicinally active compounds

-Known Active Constituents: Polysaccharides: many forms & derivations, Erinacines, Hericenones
Ergo-sterol: provitamin D2

-Purported Uses: Nerve regeneration, Anti-diabetic, Anti-cancer, Anti-tumor

-Medicinal Activities and Modes of Action:
This mushroom has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for the treatment of stomach distress and for cancer prevention. Many distinct polysaccharides have been identified in this species several of which have demonstrated potent anti-tumor properties that extended the lifespan of cancer patients (Mizuno, 1995). Studies in Taiwan on rats that were fed Hericium fruitbodies demonstrated significant beneficial effects on blood glucose, serum triglycerides and total cholesterol levels.

Perhaps the most intriguing medicinal effect of this mushroom has been the discovery of a group of compounds that appears to have the ability to stimulate the re-growth of neurons and nerve cells (Kawagashi, et al., 1994; Kenmoku, et al., 2002). These compounds are known as erinacines (Erinacines A, B, C, Q) . Japanese researchers have patented an extraction process which isolates and purifies "Nerve Growth Stimulant (NGS) factor from this mushroom. Research indicates great potential for the use of this mushroom in the treatment of senility and Alzheimer's disease and the repairing of nerve damage from various traumas.

-Selected References
Son, Chang Gue et. al. 2006. "Macrophage activation and nitric acid production by water soluble components of Hericium erinaceum." International Immunopharmocology 6:1363-1369.
Kawagishi H., et al. 1994. "Erinacines A, B, C, strong stimulators of nerve growth factor synthesis from the mushroom Hericium erinaceum". Tetrahedron Letters 35(10):1569-72
Kenmoku, H, T. Shimai, T. Toyomasu, N. Kato, and T. Sassa, 2002. " Erinacine Q, a new erinacine from Hericium erinaceum and its biosynthetic route to erinacines C in the basidiomycete". Bioscience Biothechnology & Biochem Mar:66(3):571-577.
Mizuno, Takashi et. al. 1992. "Antitumor-active polysaccharides isolated from the fruiting body of Hericium erinaceum, an edible and medicinal mushroom called yamabushitake or houtou." Bios, Biotech. Biochem. 56(2): 347-348.
Mizuno, T., ed. 1995, "Mushrooms: The versatile fungus-food and medicinal properties" in Food Reviews International 11(1)no.1, Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York
Nagai, K, A. Chiba, T. Nishino, T. Kubota & H. Kawagishi, 2006. "Dilinoeoyl-phosphatidylethanolamine from Hericium erinaceum protects against ER stress-dependent Neuro2a cell death via protein kinase pathway" J. Nutr. Biochem. Aug.;17(8)525-530. View Article
Wang, JC, et al., 2004. "Hypoglycemic effect of extract of Hericium erinaceus". Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 85(4):641-646. http://www.progenebio.in/DMP/Hericium.htm 

Disclaimer:

The information provided within this site is intended for information purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from a physician or other health care professional and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. Taking natural products should be a decision based upon personal research and the advice of health care professionals and be based upon a thorough understanding of the role food-derived medicinally-active compounds play in health and wellbeing. A health care professional should be consulted before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Do not discontinue any other medical treatments without first consulting your doctor.

The best of vibes and warm well wishes to you all...... smile

Keep your boots dry and your powder too.

I remember when a fur check was reality.....now I'm just trapping for the love of it.

Best Regards,

JT
Re: c.l.l. leukemia remission [Re: west river rogue] #6753584
02/01/20 11:08 AM
02/01/20 11:08 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Good luck on this, WRR. Hope it straightens things up for you, bud!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread