Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tire set [Re: The Beav] #6989519
09/13/20 01:58 PM
09/13/20 01:58 PM
mitchell,South Dakota
stumper Offline
trapper
stumper  Offline
trapper

mitchell,South Dakota
Originally Posted by The Beav
I figured you could screw a peace of plywood to the bottom of the tire fill it with dirt bed and anchor the trap and bait and lure the tire and load up about 10 of them In the back of the truck and have your buddy push them out as you drive along. Kind of like dropping depth charges. LOL

Sorry to drag this one to the top, but I figured I would throw .my 2 cents in.. I did this with the plywood on a really wet year and it was a great way to keep the trap operational. Keep the moisture from the ground beneath out of my dry dirt I had in the tire. I had a couple sert up this way, but switched to a small plastic bag as my "floor" . I wasn't targeting Coyotes as I was using these in a farm yard on coons and skunks(they loved it), but I did pick up one yote in it. This year I plan to use it on yote more and have a bucket of dry grass that I have a bunch of dead mice in that i am going to use inside the tires and "bait"

Re: Tire set [Re: jnsff69] #6989813
09/13/20 08:43 PM
09/13/20 08:43 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
it works in some places and situations and taught at our classes...and the tire is used as a drag.
[Linked Image]

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Tire set [Re: jnsff69] #6990077
09/14/20 08:39 AM
09/14/20 08:39 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
I have used it for years with a few twists different than Boddicker's. Here in livestock areas it is a winter set when the cows are out of the pastures. Tires are used for mineral block holders here and the cows will investigate each one. Trap - drag - bait all in one container makes it an easy (pasture) set but wonder about its use in your other areas (woods roads, river edges, non livestock travel routes, etc.). Its OK for a winter set where the weather is harsh but better fall sets are available to us as stated. The tire still makes a great drag though !...........................My take................. the mike

Re: Tire set [Re: jnsff69] #6990879
09/15/20 12:34 AM
09/15/20 12:34 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I show it in one of my DVDs, and I learned it back in the 1980's from Major B. It's not a routine set, but it has caught some coyotes for me I might not otherwise have caught in pastures. There's a bit of a knack in setting it up, to keep the moo-moos off it (or sheep) and the coyotes investigating.

I also use the tire as a drag.

Re: Tire set [Re: TRAPDOC57] #6990898
09/15/20 01:40 AM
09/15/20 01:40 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by TRAPDOC57
I made a tire set where people like to dump a bunch of garbage. A couple sheriffs were driving by when I grabbed a tire to move it 10 yards and they stopped and asked me if I was littering. I told them I was just trapping and using it for a set. They thought it was cool I was out trapping coyotes and it brought back some memories of coon trapping for the older sheriff. All I caught was a raccoon. I might try it again but I won't be carrying tires around with me just for a tire set.

I'll have to remember that if I ever get caught dumping old tires in the bush.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91