No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6757479
02/04/20 03:21 PM
02/04/20 03:21 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
One of my coworkers has gout. He avoids alcohol and red meat... He says he was never much of a drinker to begin with and loves fishing for/eating crappie so he says controlling it is easier for him than a lot of people.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: ~ADC~] #6757497
02/04/20 03:40 PM
02/04/20 03:40 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Go to the doctor. Like wrr said. They will put you on allopurinol to control your uric acid. This acid is ruining your joints even when you don't have a flare up. If you have a flare up after taking allopurinol, they will prescribe indomethicin and it will stop the pain completely overnight. I have joints that will never be 100% again because I was too stubborn to go to the doctor for years. It effects all your joints, not just your big toe, even though that is the most common place for the flare ups. What I thought was arthritis in my fingers was actually related to gout, I have a couple fingers I can barely use now.

mine too,,knees,ankles,shoulders,fingers many joints all messed up from gout

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6757574
02/04/20 04:58 PM
02/04/20 04:58 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
In many individuals it has nothing to do with their diet and everything to do with the amount of Uric Acid your body produces. I could go 100% vegan, swear off beer (I actually don't drink beer now) and I would still get gout attacks. My body over produces uric acid. The allopurniol pills have saved me from having any gout attacks for over 16 years now.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Machias] #6757581
02/04/20 05:04 PM
02/04/20 05:04 PM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Machias
In many individuals it has nothing to do with their diet and everything to do with the amount of Uric Acid your body produces. I could go 100% vegan, swear off beer (I actually don't drink beer now) and I would still get gout attacks. My body over produces uric acid. The allopurniol pills have saved me from having any gout attacks for over 16 years now.

x2

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6757707
02/04/20 06:33 PM
02/04/20 06:33 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
Eat some Celery, if ye can.

Suggested that once, to a friend who was plagued by gout. He thought I must be some kind of miracle worker, after that.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6758513
02/05/20 09:48 AM
02/05/20 09:48 AM
PENNSYLVANIA, USA
C
cpizzicharlie Offline
trapper
cpizzicharlie  Offline
trapper
C

PENNSYLVANIA, USA
I have had it for years, I drink cherry juice all the time. I also drink more water and I like wine. Was told beef could cause flair ups and switched to only bison and venison, this made a big difference for me. Hope this helps.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Mike in A-town] #6758555
02/05/20 10:31 AM
02/05/20 10:31 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline
trapper
N

New York
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
One of my coworkers has gout. He avoids alcohol and red meat... He says he was never much of a drinker to begin with and loves fishing for/eating crappie so he says controlling it is easier for him than a lot of people.

Mike

"fructose is metabolized to uric acid. It has essentially replaced a meat-rich diet as a major contributor to increased precipitation of uric acid, i.e., gout."

From .... The Wheat Belly Cardiologist, William Davis, M.D.

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/09/an-open-letter-to-the-grain-foods-foundation/

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: nyhuntfish] #6758570
02/05/20 10:54 AM
02/05/20 10:54 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

"fructose is metabolized to uric acid. It has essentially replaced a meat-rich diet as a major contributor to increased precipitation of uric acid, i.e., gout."

From .... The Wheat Belly Cardiologist, William Davis, M.D.

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/09/an-open-letter-to-the-grain-foods-foundation/

you guys just arent getting it....its not about the food,its about the body"s inability to process and expel it thru urine...in my case I believe it happened as a result of too much alcohol consumption as a young man......damaged the kidneys....kidneys expel urine....many ppl who get gout also get kidney stones...thank good i dont.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6758678
02/05/20 12:18 PM
02/05/20 12:18 PM
Wisconsin
T
trapdad Offline
trapper
trapdad  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I get both gout and stones. In fact I have three stones now. Lots of 100% cherry juice and water. Too much asparagus, beer, and soda pop will bring it on for me. Will help with the gout and not cause problems with the stones. Doctor just gave me list of foods to avoid and another list of ones to limit. For stones, it's something called oxalates. This list is hard! Some bad things for stones are beer, coffee (instant worst, brewed limit) asparagus, organ meat, beans (baked, green, wax), potatoes, carrots, celery, tomato, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, it's unbelievable and goes on and on. But again, it's too much of them for too long of times.

I had severe gout twice, but now just watch what I eat. It usually comes on relatively slow and I can cut beer and soda out, and it usually subsides.

About five years ago I passed 9 stones, from 1 up to 6 mms. but had to have surgery to remove one that had grown to 17 mms. Right now I got one that is 8 and they are not sure if it will pass.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6758679
02/05/20 12:19 PM
02/05/20 12:19 PM
Hutchinson KS
K
Kansas Rook Offline OP
trapper
Kansas Rook  Offline OP
trapper
K

Hutchinson KS
Okay after reading all of these I went ahead an made an appointment to see if I can get some long term solutions in line. I do have a bottle of cherry juice and have been hammering water. I guess you guys have me a little worried about long term damage. So off to the doc tomorrow at 9:15. I will be interested to hear what he thinks.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6758693
02/05/20 12:26 PM
02/05/20 12:26 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by Kansas Rook
Okay after reading all of these I went ahead an made an appointment to see if I can get some long term solutions in line. I do have a bottle of cherry juice and have been hammering water. I guess you guys have me a little worried about long term damage. So off to the doc tomorrow at 9:15. I will be interested to hear what he thinks.

He is a doctor and will do what doctors do , prescribe you a lifetime pill.

Americans love medication

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6758700
02/05/20 12:31 PM
02/05/20 12:31 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Kansas Rook

Smart move. You'll pee in a cup, they'll test your uric acid levels and most likely start you on Allopurinol. Its a drug that has been around forever. It will control the acid and your joints can begin to repair themselves. I've gotten most of the mobility back in my fingers (even the two that will never be great are better) and increased range of motion in my elbows and knees. I still can not straighten my right arm 100% but its better than before. It's not about controlling the attacks. I used to just get anti-inflammatory meds to stop an on-coming gout attack, not realizing the damage the acid crystals was creating. Your cherry juices and no more beer will help with lowering the instances of attacks but they aren't controlling the acid. Let us know how it turns out.

On a side note, I've given this advice numerous times on here over many years, and you're the first one not too hard headed to heed it that I can recall.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: trapdad] #6758702
02/05/20 12:34 PM
02/05/20 12:34 PM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by trapdad
I get both gout and stones. In fact I have three stones now. Lots of 100% cherry juice and water. Too much asparagus, beer, and soda pop will bring it on for me. Will help with the gout and not cause problems with the stones. Doctor just gave me list of foods to avoid and another list of ones to limit. For stones, it's something called oxalates. This list is hard! Some bad things for stones are beer, coffee (instant worst, brewed limit) asparagus, organ meat, beans (baked, green, wax), potatoes, carrots, celery, tomato, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, it's unbelievable and goes on and on. But again, it's too much of them for too long of times.

I had severe gout twice, but now just watch what I eat. It usually comes on relatively slow and I can cut beer and soda out, and it usually subsides.

About five years ago I passed 9 stones, from 1 up to 6 mms. but had to have surgery to remove one that had grown to 17 mms. Right now I got one that is 8 and they are not sure if it will pass.

youre right,the list is just too long...speaking of stones...my mom had 600 0f them when I was a kid....they said if there was ever criteria for setting a record she had it....1960"s,also if you only had 2 severe cases of gout you dont have it bad. When its chronic , then its bad

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #6758753
02/05/20 01:13 PM
02/05/20 01:13 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
You guys sure know how to make a man nervous. I had gout in my hip last year that made me bed ridden for 3 days. Literally could not move and thought I was dieing. Don't drink alcohol, not an excessive amount of red meat and am fairly young at 25. Hopefully it was a one and done kind of deal but I doubt it.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #7581757
05/11/22 12:36 AM
05/11/22 12:36 AM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
How is everyone gout coming along (or hopefully not coming I guess)?! Went almost two years between flare ups but she came back with a vengeance this year and I finally went to the doctor. Now I’m just trying to get it under control and hoping it’s more of an alcohol thing than a red meat thing for me as I’d have very little problems adjusting that part of my diet compared to the meat aspect. Last year I was limiting alcohol and exercising several days a week and had no issues. Lately been pretty sedentary and having beverages as I desire and been having issues. Went to two large grocery stores yesterday and neither had a single cherry aside from froze ! Gonna really watch my eating, start exercising more, and lose some weight and take the colchicine when I have any flare ups to stay functional! I will agree with many…..no fun at all! Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #7581766
05/11/22 12:52 AM
05/11/22 12:52 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Gout caused by a high carb diet. Like most of our heart and diabetes problems.Beer is a high carb drink as well and that adds to the problem.
Your body produces Uric acid so that’s not the problem at all.
A doctor will treat the symptoms but only you can fix the problem by diet change and it’s not meats fault.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #7581778
05/11/22 01:37 AM
05/11/22 01:37 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Black cherries helps me when get a flare up.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #7581937
05/11/22 11:10 AM
05/11/22 11:10 AM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
Have had gout off and on for last 5 years often twice a year. Last October had gout flare in October. Got past it and a week later it popped again. This time debilitating pain in left big toe. Couldn't keep a sock on it hurt so bad. I finally gave in and went on alpurinol.. After a bit of indomethacin, the miracle cure, everything has been good since. Taking a pill of allpurinol is a hundred times better than gout.

Cherry juice never worked for me. I tried allpurinol previously but it really messed with my stomach so I was real hesitant to try it last fall. Seems to be working though, as april\may I would normally be getting a spring installment . knock on wood nothing yet.

Good luck

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: yukonjeff] #7581955
05/11/22 11:41 AM
05/11/22 11:41 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by yukonjeff

Your body produces Uric acid so that’s not the problem at all.

Too much uric acid is what causes gout. Just like cholesterol, uric acid levels vary from person to person. Some can somewhat control it with diet, some not so much. If your uric acid level runs on the low side, you can tolerate a lot of food or drink that causes it to rise but if it runs high, it takes very little to cause a spike and gout.

My uric acid level is near the high end of normal without medication. The first time I had gout, I got treated and saw immediate improvement but it would flare back up as the dosage tapered off. Went through 3 or 4 rounds including NASIDs and steroid packs. Even had a shot in the joint but it would not go away. DR finally started me on allopurinol and it cleared up completely and no more problems while taking allopurinol for several years. DR suggested we stop the allopurinol which surprised me but I agreed. Went about 3 years with no problem and then it hit me again. I felt it coming on while out of town and I went to a clinic and got a steroid pack prescribed. Knocked it right out.

Next time I saw my DR, I told him what happened. He checked my uric acid level and it was just under the upper limit of normal and he put me back on allopurinol. Been on it ever since and zero problem with gout. Never noticed any side effects from allopurinol either.

This is based on my experience and my discussion with my DR. YMMV

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. [Re: Kansas Rook] #7582008
05/11/22 01:28 PM
05/11/22 01:28 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
My uncle eats about 1/3 can of cherry pie filling every night. He swears by it, hasn't had an attack in years. If it works, it's a lot better than medicine.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread