No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761521
02/07/20 10:25 AM
02/07/20 10:25 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

If it came to light that the Bible was written by men just making note of events that happen in their lifetime would you walk away from the things you have experienced?

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 02/07/20 10:25 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761523
02/07/20 10:28 AM
02/07/20 10:28 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Are there people that are saved because they believed what they have heard, understood the importance of their personal relationship with Him yet have never seen a Bible?

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761525
02/07/20 10:29 AM
02/07/20 10:29 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

In the beginning was the Word and the Word became flesh. Putting your faith in the Word is the same as putting your faith in Christ. They're both the same.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761529
02/07/20 10:30 AM
02/07/20 10:30 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Here is a question for everybody. Is concealed carry a form of deception?

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761533
02/07/20 10:33 AM
02/07/20 10:33 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

Really???

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Yes sir] #6761534
02/07/20 10:34 AM
02/07/20 10:34 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I will say based of personal studies I have yet to see what I believe is a contradiction in the Bible. I believe that if the great deceiver can get us to doubt parts of God's word that in the future it will be easier for him to get others to doubt the Whole Word.

I suppose contradictions has a lot to do with the person perceiving. One might say tulips and daisies are different but another might say yes but they are both flowers.

Its just my opinion but I think God allows different denominations as a protection against such as what was happening at the time of the Tower of Babel. Its a protection against a one world government even in the church body. Many feel they have to be on the side of right, therefore if you don't believe the same as me you must be wrong.

Some people just have to be right all the time. A married couple was about to split up and went to a counselor. The husband was persistent that in the one part that they was having problems with, that he was right. Since no amount of debate would convince him that maybe he could be wrong, then the counselor asked him if he wanted his wife or if he wanted to be right!

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: ] #6761536
02/07/20 10:35 AM
02/07/20 10:35 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by J Staton
In the beginning was the Word and the Word became flesh. Putting your faith in the Word is the same as putting your faith in Christ. They're both the same.

The Gospel according to.........wait for it............John.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Catch22] #6761544
02/07/20 10:41 AM
02/07/20 10:41 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Catch22

Really???

Is the question too difficult?

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761547
02/07/20 10:43 AM
02/07/20 10:43 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Lol, have a good one.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761548
02/07/20 10:44 AM
02/07/20 10:44 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I know you folks think I’m being obtuse but I find it hard to believe that most of you having experienced an incident of divine nature in your life would throw that away simply because the Bible may have been just an account of events.

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 02/07/20 10:45 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Catch22] #6761549
02/07/20 10:46 AM
02/07/20 10:46 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Catch22
Lol, have a good one.

You too Catch.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761563
02/07/20 11:04 AM
02/07/20 11:04 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I know you folks think I’m being obtuse but I find it hard to believe that most of you having experienced an incident of divine nature in your life would throw that away simply because the Bible may have been just an account of events.

I have no problem with thinking of it as a history book, but seems to take man's hand out of it especially the parts of history that are written a thousand years in advance.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Foxpaw] #6761585
02/07/20 11:12 AM
02/07/20 11:12 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

I have no problem with thinking of it as a history book, but seems to take man's hand out of it especially the parts of history that are written a thousand years in advance.

That would hold water if there were specifics regarding time of events.

Based on what is happening currently anyone of us could write a book with “prediction of events” and many would happen.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761609
02/07/20 11:22 AM
02/07/20 11:22 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas

Really???[/quote]

[/quote]

Your probably the only on this thread that thinks that's why he didn't answer the question, I believe that you even know that isnt the reason.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Yes sir] #6761613
02/07/20 11:23 AM
02/07/20 11:23 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Really???

Your probably the only on this thread that thinks that's why he didn't answer the question, I believe that you even know that isnt the reason.

Is there great harm in answering it?

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761625
02/07/20 11:29 AM
02/07/20 11:29 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
So is it ok if I use your name when I say Hobbie said that in Isaiah 9: 6 it was just something Isaiah threw out there with a chance that maybe if we wait long enough it might happen. My self I don't put much faith in random chance.

Isaiah 9
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: loosegoose] #6761628
02/07/20 11:34 AM
02/07/20 11:34 AM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
I apologize in advance everyone. I do my best to refrain from posting anything ever, especially when it comes to religion and politics. The internet is really a terrible place to actually discuss either. As you can see after 8 pages of this, it is however a wonderful place to argue about them, which, I assume, is why politics is (or was?) a banned topic. After reading a lot of the posts on this thread, I just can't bring myself not to say anything at this point. There are so many common misconceptions floating around out here. We need to clear the air a bit, so I'm going to toss a few grenades into the room and leave you all to reckon with them. Just to be clear, I'm addressing those of us that call ourselves Christians, who have heard what Jesus said, reckoned with it, and are doing our best to follow him. If that's not your thing, that's fine. I'm not asking you to believe what I do. I'm not telling you how to live. I have no beef with you, and I certainly have no intention of arguing with anyone here.

First, we Christians believe that the Bible tells our story, and if we're thinking about it appropriately, we view our lives as being a part of that story. We believe that it tells us the truth about ourselves and our world and that it was inspired by God, but it didn't fall from the sky on golden tablets. It was absolutely written with human hands and has a long and complicated history. There is no reason to deny it. It's well worth acknowledging or even studying.

Second, in light of the Bible's long and complicated history, there have been many, many misconceptions surrounding it, and there have been for a long time. It is an ancient text written in other languages and in a totally different culture. There are parts of it that are downright bizarre. If we can work to understand the meaning that the authors are trying to convey with all those strange and difficult stories, I find the story very compelling. Others don't, and that's fine. The biggest misconception that I've seen floating around on this thread (and in our churches too, for that matter) is that Christianity is a set of rules, and if you obey you'll go to heaven when you die or suffer eternal torment if you don't. The biggest problem with this idea is the Bible. There are rules in the Bible, but they were never the point. The idea of heaven as a place for dead spirits is not in the Bible. It's just not. The Bible's conception of heaven is very different. Our western notions of heaven and (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) are based on Greek/Roman ideas (Elysium and Tartarus), not the Bible. The devil as a red, horned beast with a pitchfork is an image that is foreign to the Hebrew Bible. I'm not going to argue about it here. Read the book.

To bring this topic back to the original post, a major theme in story of the Bible is political oppression. Jesus said to love your enemies. If you're calling Jesus your leader, then I think you have to believe that he meant what he said. If you don't, read the story. His political enemies--the church leaders and Roman government, had him executed, and he went willingly to his death. Living in modern America, I doubt any of us will face a situation that dire, but we should still follow his example. Loving your enemy doesn't mean simply being passive, and it certainly doesn't mean being passive aggressive. It means actively seeking to good of another even when they actively pursue your demise. It's standing up for good in defiance of evil even if it costs you your life. It is completely illogical and backwards. It is a radical idea, but a good one, even if it's hard to accomplish.

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: Foxpaw] #6761631
02/07/20 11:36 AM
02/07/20 11:36 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
So is it ok if I use your name when I say Hobbie said that in Isaiah 9: 6 it was just something Isaiah threw out there with a chance that maybe if we wait long enough it might happen..

Careful, doing so surely identifies a misguided faith.

-Goofy-
Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761633
02/07/20 11:37 AM
02/07/20 11:37 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois

I have had old timers tell me that the The Apocrypha was not inspired but it was history and that I should know it and keep it as history and not to forget it so as not to live it again or at least identify it. So you might say that is concealed carry?

Re: Love your enemies? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6761636
02/07/20 11:38 AM
02/07/20 11:38 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas

Really???

Is there great harm in answering it?

No. The point of the question is so far out there based on the discussion that it's not worth answering

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread