No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How many generations have lived on earth #6764391
02/09/20 03:50 PM
02/09/20 03:50 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Adam till now?

So about how many generations are there from Adam to people today? In these two lines, I have a range from 87 to 103 generations—or 88 to 104 if you count my children. Both are reasonable, given what we know, and useful for approximating others’ lineages. But I’m not absolutely firm on either one of them.

How Many Human Generations Are There from Adam Until Today?
by Bodie Hodge on September 24, 2019
Share:
Science Confirms The BibleShop Now
Introduction
I’ve heard this title’s question many times over the years. Can we even get an estimate?

We are certain from Genesis 5 and 10 that Noah was in the tenth generation from Adam because all the genealogical data is given from father to son.1 After Noah, we split into three sons (Japheth, Shem, and Ham), and from there, to everyone today.

THE FULL GENEALOGY FROM ADAM TO JESUS WAS 76 CLEARLY LISTED GENERATIONS, AND FROM NOAH TO JESUS, IT WAS 66.
In Luke 3, we even have a full biblical lineage from Adam to Jesus through notable progenitors, like Noah, Shem, Abraham, David, and Joseph (Mary’s husband), who was only the supposed father of Jesus (Luke 3:23). The full genealogy from Adam to Jesus was 76 clearly listed generations, and from Noah to Jesus, it was 66.

Given the age of creation, can we know the approximate generation number from Adam to people today? Actually, we can in some instances. The Queen of England (Queen Elizabeth II) has a lineage that goes back to Noah—which is fairly well-known based on the six Anglo-Saxon royal houses (Anglia, Kent, Lindsey, Mercia, Northumbria, and Wessex).2 In fact, this is the case with many royal houses in Europe. Though this lineage is known, it is deemphasized and largely ignored in our secular culture that insists in recent times that we are the progeny of animals instead of Noah.

Bodie’s Short Lineage
Interestingly, I am aware of many of my genealogical lists through my father and my mother. Through one of my mother’s lineages, my genealogy connects to the same lineage as the Queen of England. She’s my cousin—a distant cousin. I am in no position to ever inherit that throne!

My closest direct ancestor with the Queen of England and her descendants is King Edward I, the Longshanks, who lived in the 1200s and early 1300s. (For the Hollywood crowd, this was the “bad guy” in the movie Braveheart.)

Where the Queen’s line continues with Edward I’s eldest son Edward II, my family line diverges with another of his sons, Thomas of Brotherton, the first Earl of Norfolk. In the list below, I split with the Queen between the 62nd and 63rd generation.

Adam (Created by God and placed in the Garden of Eden in 4004 BC; d. 3074 BC)3 and Eve
Seth
Enosh
Cainan
Mahalalel
Jared
Enoch
Methuselah
Lamech
The ancestors below this lived post-Flood.
Noah (King at the Flood; 2348 BC; b. 2948 BC, d. 1998 BC)
Japheth (Iafet also known as Sceaf)4
Bedwig (a son after the dispersion at Babel)
Hwala
Hrathra
Itermon
Heremod
Scealdwea
Beaw
Taetwa
Geat (founder of the Geats (Gēatas/Gotar/Goths) in southern Sweden)
Godwulf
Fin (Finn)
Frithuwulf
Freawine
Frealaf
Frithuwald
Woden (Othin/Odin/Oden/Bodo) (King of most Northern Europe; b. AD 256 and d. AD 3005; married to Frea/Fria)6
Baeldaeg (Beldeg/Baeldeagus)
Brand (Brond/Brandius/Brando)
Freothogar (Frithogar/Freodegarus/Fredegar)
Freawine (Freawin/Friairin)
Wig (Wigga)
Gewis (Gerisius/Gewisch)
Elsa (Esla I)
Elesa (Esla II or Elisius))
Cerdic (Cherdick/Cerdick; First King of the West Saxons; d. AD 534)
Cynric (Chenrick/Kenrick; d. AD 560)
Caewlin (Ceolin/Cheoline; deposed in AD 592)
Cuthwine (Cuthwin)
Cutha (Cuth)
Ceolwald (Chelward)
Cenred (Kenred)
Ingild (Ingrils)
Eoppa
Eafa (Efa)
Ealhmund (Elmund/Alemund)
King Ecbryht (Egbert; King of Wessex, i.e., West Saxons, from AD 802–839)
King Aethelwulf (Æthelwulf/Ethelwolf; AD 839 began reigning7)
King Alfred The Great (Æfred; b. AD 848; first overlord of all England; began reign AD 872, d. AD 900/901)
King Edward I The Elder
King Edmund I The Magnificent b. AD 921
King Aedgar The Pacific b. AD 944
King Æthelred II The Unready b. AD 968
King Edmund II Ironside b. AD 988
King Edward The Outlaw or Exile
Princess/Queen Margaret (daughter of Edward; m. to King Malcolm II Caenmor of Scotland) d. 1093
Queen Eadgith/Edith (Matilda of Scotland) (Daughter of Margaret and Malcolm III) b. 1080 married King Henry I Beauclerc [b. 1068], son of William the Conqueror)
Queen Matilda Lady of the English Empress b. 1102, d. 1167, m. Henry V of the Holy Roman Empire and Emperor of Germany
King Henry II Plantagenet b. 1133
King John Lackland Plantagenet (brother of King Richard I The Lion-Heart [Coeur de Lion], b. 1157) b. 1166
King Henry III Plantagenet b. 1207
King Edward I Plantagenet Longshanks b. 12398
Thomas of Brotherton Plantagenet 1st Earl of Norfolk b. 1300 – Alice de Hales/Halys Countess of Norfolk b. 1302
Margaret Marshall Plantagenet b. ~1322 – John de Segrave 4th Baron Segrave b. 1320
Elizabeth Segrave 5th Baroness Segrave b. 1339 – Lord John de Mowbray 4th Baron Mowbray b. 1340
Joan/Jane De Mowbray b. 1363 – Sir Thomas de Grey b. 1359
Matilda Maud Grey b. 1382 – Sir Robert Ogle, Warden of Roxborough Castle b. 1406
Owen Ogle 2nd Baron Ogle b. 1440 – Eleanor Hilton b. ~1446
Ralph Ogle 3rd Baron b. 1468 – Margaret Gascoigne b. 1473
Dorothy Ogle/Lady Grey b. ~1490 – Thomas Forster b. 1485
Margaret (Forester) Heron b. ~1505 – Sir William Heron of Ford b. ~1505
Elizabeth (Carr) Heron b. ~1520 – Thomas Carr b. ~1520
Agnes (Carr) Stackhouse b. ~1534 – James Stackhouse b. ~1520-1530
John Stackhouse b.1550 – Ellen Clark b. 1576
Thomas Stackhouse b. 1601 – Anna (?) Stackhouse b. 1611
Ellen (Stackhouse) Cowgill b. 1639 – Ralph Cowgill b. 1635
John Cowgill b. 1665 – Rachel (Baker) Bunting b. 1669 Born in Gigglewick, West Riding, Yorkshire, England died in Dover, Delaware;
All others below this are born in America.
Henry Cowgill I b. ~1704 – Mary Boulton b. 1706
Henry Cowgill II b. ~1735 – Ruth Johnson b. ~1740
James Cowgill b.1762 – Charlotte Holloway b. 1776
Abigail (Cowgill) Scott b. 1796 – William Scott b. 1796
Lewis Cowgill Scott b. 1824 – Anne (Montgomery) DeWitt b. 1834
Abigail (Scott) Tucker b. 1878 – James Edward Tucker b. 1872
Ary Abigail (Tucker) Vincent b. 1900 – John Edmond Vincent b. 1892
Aryetta Maxine (Vincent) Duvendack b. 1922 – Richard Warren Duvendack b. 1921 9
Cheryl Elaine (Duvendack) Hodge b. 1949 – James Alfred Hodge b. 1950
Bodie Hodge b. 1974 – Renee Ham b. 1978 (in Australia)
There are 21 generations between Queen Elizabeth II and Edward I the Longshanks; there are 25 generations between Bodie and Edward I the Longshanks. Subtract two to put us at the level of first cousins (19 and 23), and this makes the Queen of England, Elizabeth II, my 42nd cousin (by the common usage method (CU) not the consanguinity method [e.g., degrees and removals]).10

By this lineage, Adam is my 84th great grandfather, and I am in the 87th generation from Adam. Noah is my 74th great grandfather. There are 66 generations from Noah to Christ, and there are 77 generations from Noah to me. Subtract two from each side (64 and 75) to get to the level of first cousins. By tallying these up, we arrive at our Lord Jesus Christ being my 139th cousin (CU) in this lineage.

Is This Lineage Feasible?
IS IT FEASIBLE TO HAVE 66 GENERATIONS FROM NOAH TO JESUS PER LUKE 3 (WHO LIVED 2000 YEARS AGO) AND ONLY 77 FROM NOAH TO ME?
Is it feasible to have 66 generations from Noah to Jesus per Luke 3 (who lived 2000 years ago) and only 77 from Noah to me? There are a few things to consider.

Biblical record of Israelite rapid generations in Egypt
When the Israelites were in Egypt, God gave them explosive growth just as He promised (Genesis 13:16, 22:17, 26:4; Exodus 1:7, 12, 20). In only four generations in Egypt, they were living contemporaneously with the tenth generation and beyond. For example, Moses was part of the fourth generation in Egypt on his father’s side (third generation by his mother Jochebed’s side per Exodus 6:20 and Number 26:59), and Joshua was the 10th generation (1 Chronicles 7:22–27)!

The point is that God gave the Israelites far more generations beginning at this point. This is actually a blessing from God, and the increase was clearly shown. By the time the Israelites entered the Promised Land, the population had grown to more than 1.2 million people, if you presume there are about the same number of females as males over the age of 20, in Numbers 1:1–3 and 2:32.

So the lineage of Jesus, which comes through the Israelites rapid growth period, is far more than typical gentiles—especially of that time (the Egyptians wanted to slow their growth if you recall). This rapid Israeli growth explains why there are more generations from Noah to Jesus down the line of Shem than there are generations from Japheth to me (Bodie).

Lineage Factors
Another reason for 77 generations from Noah in my lineage is that lineage also heavily depends on generation times in Japheth’s line—their ages for instance, particularly the age at which their respective sons were born.

Did you know that one of the presidents of the United States who was born in the 1700s still has two living grandsons as of the writing of this paper (2019)? John Tyler was the President who held office from 1841–1845 and was born in 1790. John Tyler had a son named Lyon Gardiner Tyler Sr. when he was 63 in 1853. Lyon Tyler Sr. had sons in 1924 (Lyon Tyler Jr.) and 1928 (Harrison Tyler), when he was 71 and 75 respectively. These living grandsons are only the third generation!11

Consider this in regards to Japheth and his progeny’s early lineage. We know Shem’s lineage includes ages of birth and death, but not Japheth’s lineage. Did Japheth and his early descendants live longer than Shem’s descendants for some time? It’s possible.

One historical account has Japheth’s grandson Togarmah living 600 years.12 Yet Togarmah was living at the same time as Shem (Genesis 11:10–11), his great-uncle who lived 600 years (502 after the Flood). Shem was in the first generation after Noah where Togarmah was the third generation after Noah. Shem’s grandson Salah, who was in the third generation after Noah, however, lived only 433 years (Genesis 11:14–15).

Did Japheth and Bedwig13 still live upwards of 700–800 years? It’s possible. Did they have children much later as Noah did (e.g., at age 500)? It’s possible. If so, then with these considerations, 77 generations could work out rather reasonably.

Possible Gap
GAPS IN GENEALOGIES CAN EASILY OCCUR OUTSIDE OF SCRIPTURE.
A gap will not give millions of years, so don’t bother even considering it. Gaps in genealogies can easily occur outside of Scripture. These lists are not inerrant like Genesis 5, 11; 1 Chronicles 1–2; and Luke 3. The gaps in Matthew were intentional and without chronological data like Genesis 5 and 11.

But in my lineage’s case, it is possible there are gaps or errors (one possible gap is mentioned below). Ancient historical sources outside the Bible can err and get convoluted and should always be treated delicately.

Bodie’s Long Lineage
In my research, one alleged gap actually gives a genealogy, albeit longer, that still traces my lineage to Noah. I call this my “long chronology.” The following 16 “missing progenitors” from the genealogy above are between #11 Japheth and #12 Bedwig:

Javan (Jove)
Jupiter Dodanaeus (Dodanim/Rodanim)/Dardanus m. Batia (wife)14
Erichthonius
Tros
Ilus
Laomedon
Priam, High King of Troy15
Troan (wife) – m. Munon, one of the collective Kings of Troy
Tror
Loridi
Einridi
Vingethor
Vingener
Moda
Magi
Sceaf (Seskef)
This lineage adds a sub-lineage which can also be documented between the generations from Noah to Sceaf. This line presumes Sceaf is not a variant name of Japheth but a name of a person far down the line of Japheth.16 By this lineage, Adam is my 100th great grandfather, and Noah is my 90th great grandfather.

With this line, there are 66 generations from Noah to Christ, and there are 93 generations from Noah to Bodie minus two from each side (64 and 91) to get to the level of first cousins. By adding these up, we arrive at our Lord Jesus Christ being my 155th cousin (based on the CU method).17

Again, there remain 21 generations between Queen Elizabeth II and Edward I the Longshanks; there are 25 generations between Edward I the Longshanks and me (Bodie Hodge). Subtract two to put us at the level of first cousins (19 and 23), and the Queen of England, Elizabeth II, is my 42nd cousin (CU method). So this doesn’t change.

What Can We Know for Sure?
OUTSIDE OF THE HISTORICAL DOCUMENTATION IN SCRIPTURE, WE NEED TO BE CAUTIOUS.
Outside of the historical documentation in Scripture, we need to be cautious. In either lineage, I go back to Noah and Adam. Of course, all people after the Flood go back to Noah and Adam, according to God’s Word. But this effort gave me something tangible and two potential lineages. To a history buff like myself, this is exciting.

So about how many generations are there from Adam to people today? In these two lines, I have a range from 87 to 103 generations—or 88 to 104 if you count my children. Both are reasonable, given what we know, and useful for approximating others’ lineages. But I’m not absolutely firm on either one of them.

Bear in mind that if you are in the line of Israelites who had massive growth quickly, your generations could easily be more. And some cultures have quick generation times (e.g., Afghanistan even in modern times). Quick generation times can increase the number of total generations. In the case of former President Tyler’s grandsons who are still alive, it may be fewer, considering his family’s case in the last 230 years.

I encourage others to study their own ancestry. Perhaps you too can find some fascinating details of your heritage and even come up with numbers on your own. After all, this is but one lineage on my grandmother’s side. I have other lineages that I am still exploring.

Learning that we all go back to one man (Noah and ultimately Adam) only 4000 or so years ago is a great way to realize that we’re all One Race and One Blood with the same sin problem.

Noah had his Ark to be mercifully spared from the judgment of the Flood, and we all have Jesus Christ, the foreshadowed Ark of salvation to spare us from the judgment to come. Find out more about the first Adam’s problem and the second Adam’s solution that began in Genesis.

Footnotes
Paul F. Taylor, “An Extra Cainan?” in Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions: Volume 1 (Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 2010), https://answersingenesis.org/bible-timeline/genealogy/an-extra-cainan/.
See my genealogy below that shares these.
The genealogy of Adam to Japheth comes from Genesis 5. The date for Adam and Eve’s creation comes from James Ussher, The Annals of the World, revised and updated by Larry and Marion Pierce (Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 2003), 17–18.
Most believe the name Sceaf is a variant name of Japheth after the event that occurred at Babel in Genesis 11:1–9. Name changes were very common after the confusion; by this, his son Bedwig is merely another son after the split occurred at Babel. Other rare proposals are that (1) Bedwig was Magog or that (2) Sceaf is Ashkenaz, where Sceaf is not Japheth but Ashkenaz, the son of Japheth with a variant name. Though these possibilities are not as common, I made the main connection that Sceaf is Japheth.
James Anderson, Royal Genealogies (London: James Bettenham Publisher, 1732), 733. (Certain dates were inserted between Woden and King Alfred the Great.)
From Bedwig to Woden (and beyond), there are several patriarchal genealogies recorded of the Norwegians, Danes, Icelanders, and English Saxons, as found in several ancient documents: Asserius, De Rebus Gestis Alfredi; British Museum Cotton Manuscript Tiberius. A; Vetustissima Regum Septentrionis Series Langfethgatal Dicta; Fabii Ethelwerdi Chronicorum Libri Quattuor; Prose Edda; and Nennius, Historia Brittonum; as well as the Six Royal Houses of the Anglo-Saxons: House of Lindsey, House of Kent, House of Mercia, House of Northumbria, House of East Anglia, and the House of Wessex.
According to James Anderson, Royal Genealogies (739), King Ecbryht died in 836 and his son Aethelwulf began to reign in AD 836 as well.
From Woden to King Edward I (Longshanks) is in common with the current Queen of England (Elizabeth II) and was obtained in chart form from Windsor Castle (home of the Queen) as tallied from Ancestors.co.uk; Can also be found in James Anderson, Royal Genealogies, 1732, pp. 733–738.
The remaining ancestors from Thomas, the Earl of Norfolk to the present can be tallied through Ancestry.com.
Common usage method finds the closest set of first cousins and then merely counts cousins down the line(s) in question. It’s easy to use for long lineage comparisons, which is why I prefer it here.
Curt Mills, “President John Tyler Has 2 Living Grandsons,” US News and World Report, February 20, 2017, https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...rn-in-1790-still-has-2-living-grandsons. Though this paper was in 2017, these two grandsons were verified to still be living in 2019.
“Early Days: Chapter 1, Concise History of the Georgians,” The Georgian Chronicle, translated by Robert Bedrosian, accessed September 20, 2019, http://rbedrosian.com/gc2.htm.
A son born to Japheth after the events occurred at Babel. He was not listed in Genesis 10 as coming out of Babel with a new language and so he was born to Japheth later—how much later is the question being discussed.
Dodanim/Dardanus to Priam is recorded by ancient historians Homer, Virgil, and Hesiod; for graphical depictions and discussion of this lineage, see M. Gascoigne, Forgotten History of the Western People (Camberley, England: Anno Mundi Books, 2002), 91–93.
Priam to Sceaf (presuming Sceaf is disassociated from Japheth) is found in Brian Tompsett, Icelandic Prose Edda, Directory of the Royal Genealogical Data, University of Hull. From Japheth, the long and short genealogies deviate and return with Sceaf and Bedwig. For graphical depictions and discussion of this lineage, see M. Gascoigne, Forgotten History of the Western People (Camberley, England: Anno Mundi Books, 2002), 126–127.
Perhaps, as many people do, Sceaf was a person named for his ancestor Japheth (Sceaf). It’s possible then that these are two separate lineages were convoluted.
Cousins in this calculation is strictly by counting (e.g., common usage method), not by the consanguinity method (e.g., degrees and removals).

Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764464
02/09/20 05:05 PM
02/09/20 05:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Quit wasting bandwidth.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764501
02/09/20 06:00 PM
02/09/20 06:00 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
All of them wink

Nevada bound
Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: Bruce T] #6764511
02/09/20 06:10 PM
02/09/20 06:10 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by Bruce T
All of them wink

9725D231-0C04-45C8-B760-809C96B5AE16.jpeg

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764526
02/09/20 06:22 PM
02/09/20 06:22 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
There's probably around 30 to 60 human generations per 1000 years, figuring most people have children between the age of 16 and 33. Obviously people can have children earlier and in the case of men, much later. So there's probably been 180 to 360 generations of people if you believe that man is 6000 years old. I believe we are much older.

In just 30 generations, you have a potential 107,3741,824 ancestors. Most people further back in your lineage are in your lineage a lot. We are all cousins of some sort.

Keith

Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764542
02/09/20 06:39 PM
02/09/20 06:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Some think we all came from Noah's inbred offspring.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764548
02/09/20 06:43 PM
02/09/20 06:43 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
You might be about right regarding the number of generations of Adam's race. However, Homo Sapiens have probably been around for hundreds if not thousands of generations.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764550
02/09/20 06:47 PM
02/09/20 06:47 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I suspect that many of the ages in the old testament are given in months, not years, based on full moons. 900 months is 75 years, which makes more sense for a human life span.

Keith

Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764558
02/09/20 07:02 PM
02/09/20 07:02 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Brianmall,
History is one of those topics that people either seem to "like" or "no thanks."

Boco, my Canadian friend, even with the last 300 years years of tremendous secular pressures, thesis, and name calling, there's still only 11% worldwide who claim as atheists. They are a minority, even as you include gnostics, agnostics, and all categories of "nope" in that 11%. Thomas Aquinas, the philosopher Dominican friar in the 13th century, postulated 7 reasons that God exists, his Summas. One of which is why is there longing by humans for an afterlife? Why do we bury our dead? Why is there a universal quest for religion among those who are not in close proximity? Why do we intriguingly look at creation and wonder where it comes from? Does any other creature do this?

Your country sir, was settled by a free spirited, diverse group from various nations of Europe, most of whom would have professed the diversity of the nature they lived in each day came from a Creator, not by theory of happenstance. You would have been laughed at by suggesting such things. Today, we're so smart, we believe in those who have thin answers.

Maybe our forefathers were actually smarter than us in core ways.

Mark

Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: ] #6764577
02/09/20 07:16 PM
02/09/20 07:16 PM
Ontario
R
Rolee Offline
trapper
Rolee  Offline
trapper
R

Ontario
Mark june i agree .. for those who dare read thomas aquinas tittle (Summa Theologica) it will blow your mind away ..

Re: How many generations have lived on earth [Re: brianmall] #6764626
02/09/20 08:00 PM
02/09/20 08:00 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
So going by some of you you are counting any type of God?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread