No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beavers falling pine trees [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6766312
02/11/20 12:32 PM
02/11/20 12:32 PM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
They prefer sweet gum here, but I've seen them take down pines where the were lots of sweet gum. I've picked up the peeled sticks only to have my hands all sticky because it was from a pine that had the bark eaten. I've seen where they eat them here year round, but not so much in the heat of the summer.

I'v seen beaver chewing gum LOL

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Beavers falling pine trees [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6766324
02/11/20 12:50 PM
02/11/20 12:50 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
When I was in the navy and station in Norfolk , I use to go fishing with a friend at the time . Where we went the beaver had ate cedar and the stump heal over and some night while we where out fishing we would hear sometime the beavers chew on a tree. The next morning we found the teeth marks on the tree.

Last edited by coydog2; 02/11/20 01:14 PM.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Beavers falling pine trees [Re: Newt] #6766350
02/11/20 01:14 PM
02/11/20 01:14 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yea but did you see them blowing bubbles,Newt ?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beavers falling pine trees [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6767100
02/12/20 01:14 AM
02/12/20 01:14 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Here's the way I see it around here. Prime beaver habitat near areas suitable for a beaver to make a workable beaver pond don't always coincide.
They MUST have a suitable place where they can have success creating a pond. The soil can't be too porous, the stream can't be prone to frequent extreme flowage.
They have to settle for whatever trees species are in places where they can build their pond. I see a lot of paper thin tails where they have to eat pines.
The Boss mentioned sweet gum. I see a lot of large sweet gums girdled, but not felled nor peeled. I wonder sometimes if they are managing their forest by killing the gum trees to promote what they would rather eat. I don't think that they are "smart" enough to know this, but maybe the ones who have evolved to perform this behavior have survived the ones who did not.

Re: Beavers falling pine trees [Re: 52Carl] #6767111
02/12/20 01:31 AM
02/12/20 01:31 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by 52Carl
The Boss mentioned sweet gum. I see a lot of large sweet gums girdled, but not felled nor peeled. I wonder sometimes if they are managing their forest by killing the gum trees to promote what they would rather eat. I don't think that they are "smart" enough to know this, but maybe the ones who have evolved to perform this behavior have survived the ones who did not.

No, here they eat them and leave the peeled sticks behind, as they do with the pine. I've seen where they've eaten everything but sycamore. I've seen where they've gnawed on cypress knees, but not eat the cypress limbs.

Re: Beavers falling pine trees [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6767163
02/12/20 06:36 AM
02/12/20 06:36 AM
N.W. Pennsylvania
JTaddeo Offline
trapper
JTaddeo  Offline
trapper

N.W. Pennsylvania
I have definitely noticed the variety of what beavers will chew on and eat. At this spot I'm looking at right now I see where they've been chewing and eating the grape vines.

Keep your boots dry and your powder too.

I remember when a fur check was reality.....now I'm just trapping for the love of it.

Best Regards,

JT
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread