No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: tlguy] #6767178
02/12/20 07:14 AM
02/12/20 07:14 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by tlguy
Originally Posted by Dirty D

Personally I'd be happy having the area more inaccessible, it means less people will put forth the effort. So the fewer people the happier I'll be.

There it is. In case Dirty D tries to hide his shame and delete his comment.

Indeed. Took awhile for his agenda to be revealed. Probably detests trapper education too. Can't have all these educated trappers taking MY fur. What a shame.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767396
02/12/20 10:49 AM
02/12/20 10:49 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Sounds like a bunch of old women on here worrying about crossing the freaking tracks. Grow a set and cross the tracks and be done with It.

I can just see old Muskrat sitting on his pack basket along the tracks and saying well should I or shouldn't I. May be I should call my buddy Tony and see If It's Ok.
Heck we drive right down the tracks on our wheelers to get from point A to point B haven't been caught yet. And could care less.
Get er done.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767406
02/12/20 11:00 AM
02/12/20 11:00 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Don't stop with the railroad, throw crossing people's vacation homes in that ring a lake. Why should they keep you from the lake?

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767417
02/12/20 11:12 AM
02/12/20 11:12 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Dirty D is correct-most people are lazy and wont put in the effort if access is difficult.Those that put in the effort are rewarded with better hunting and trapping.I agree.

Last edited by Boco; 02/12/20 11:13 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: hippie] #6767420
02/12/20 11:18 AM
02/12/20 11:18 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by hippie
Don't stop with the railroad, throw crossing people's vacation homes in that ring a lake. Why should they keep you from the lake?

Originally Posted by Boco
Dirty D is correct-most people are lazy and wont put in the effort if access is difficult.Those that put in the effort are rewarded with better hunting and trapping.I agree.

Either clueless or couldn't care less.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767546
02/12/20 11:36 AM
02/12/20 11:36 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
What I posted is a fact jack.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Boco] #6767603
02/12/20 11:54 AM
02/12/20 11:54 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Boco
What I posted is a fact jack.

Both

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: The Beav] #6767658
02/12/20 12:51 PM
02/12/20 12:51 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by The Beav
When we were kids the first place we went was to the tracks to hunt rabbits and pheasants and no one gave a dam.

How is the hunting and trapping on all those rail grades the State turned into trails?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767698
02/12/20 01:38 PM
02/12/20 01:38 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
I'm sure Bernie would be willing to help you if elected. He believes the right of the majority is greater than individual rights.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: FairbanksLS] #6767706
02/12/20 01:45 PM
02/12/20 01:45 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by gray dog
I'm sure Bernie would be willing to help you if elected. He believes the right of the majority is greater than individual rights.

another clueless troll on the subject

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767714
02/12/20 02:01 PM
02/12/20 02:01 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

Good luck.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767781
02/12/20 02:52 PM
02/12/20 02:52 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
For those of you have no personal gain in this matter if the bipartisan legislature does restore the right for trappers, hunters and anglers to cross railroad tracks to access public lands and waters, let me explain a miniversion of what's happening statewide with the situation.

Before I do, I must admit I'm a bit taken aback by the sentiments expressed by trappers on this forum who have absolutely no dog in the fight, yet feel the need to explain to us trappers who have been excluded from these areas why we shouldn't be able to access these areas. Interesting isn't it, we don't read one post here from any of the fellas that have had these access points taken away on why we shouldn't be able to cross the tracks to access these areas. It's always someone who probably never has and never will attempt to access these areas for the purpose of trapping, hunting, and/or fishing. King George III would have loved you guys back in the day.

A stretch of my winter trapline is only accessible by walking across the tracks at several points off a major highway. This stretch of highway runs for eleven miles. On both ends of this eleven mile stretch, there is no way to access the 11-mile area by walking around the end and walking towards the middle, say five miles plus from each direction. There is no public access across the tracks. The tracks continue west and continue east, without a public crossing. So from the north, there is no access.

From the south side of this 11-mile stretch, there is the Lower Wisconsin River. It freezes up when it gets real cold, and opens back up when it gets into the 20s, if it hasn't been below zero for too long prior. It's shallow, and there is good current. You wouldn't want to try walking across it. The boat landings are not maintained during the winter. Some have frozen bays and/or snow on the ramps. If you can dump the boat into the river when there is chunk ice flowing downstream, you've got the bump and grind of cutting across the river through the ice chunks. When you land on the opposite bank, you've got quite a bit of marsh to walk through to access the areas just south of the tracks paralleling the highway. Some of it is frozen, some of it isn't. And when it gets real cold, you would have to pull traps as you couldn't cut across the river to get to the places where you still have another mile or so to walk through the marsh to get to the areas just south of the tracks.

So what we have here is this situation: there is no access from the north side of the river. There is limited access from the south side of the river if the weather is mild. Nobody runs a boat across this section of the Lower Wisconsin River in the winter. So there literally is no access.

Trapping Spot A is a five-minute walk from the truck across the tracks to the slough. The same spot is, weather permitting, a twenty to thirty-minute run up or down the river from a boat landing that may or may not be accessible, then a half mile jaunt through the bottoms, which might take the average fella what . . . ten to fifteen minutes to walk, or Boco five minutes.

Interesting when I read a thread about public lands being closed off to the public by more gates and fences here, there is usually an outcry on how we're losing access to "our" lands and waters. But when the railroad keeps us out of public lands and waters, some of you must hear a calling to tell us just how wrong we are and we should simply take it in the shorts and give up on the issue.

Well, I ain't giving up, I'm still checking sets by walking across the tracks, and if a bipartisan push to restore our rights to cross the tracks causes you to get loose in the bowels 'cause it's a BIPARTISAN campaign, well then diaper up me buckos.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767821
02/12/20 03:23 PM
02/12/20 03:23 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The river stuff sounds real familiar. Happens every year. Might have to modify the daily check requirements. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767831
02/12/20 03:29 PM
02/12/20 03:29 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Most guys running the river are not running daily checks so how does that help?

The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation needs a stable or growing population of users to make it work and yet we have folks trying to limit participation. Access is number one reason keeping more folks from joining the ranks. The state spends millions each year trying to open up access and could do millions of acres with the stroke of the pen. Folks need to hold their elected officials accountable. Reminder for those folks not paying attention, we do have elections coming up. Find a representative in your area and if they are willing to support the issues, offer to help him/her. It will come in handy next legislative session.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 02/12/20 03:42 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767841
02/12/20 03:36 PM
02/12/20 03:36 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Hope the highway doesnt close down-however would you be able to trap then?

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767869
02/12/20 03:57 PM
02/12/20 03:57 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Muskrat
For those of you have no personal gain in this matter if the bipartisan legislature does restore the right for trappers, hunters and anglers to cross railroad tracks to access public lands and waters, let me explain a miniversion of what's happening statewide with the situation.

Before I do, I must admit I'm a bit taken aback by the sentiments expressed by trappers on this forum who have absolutely no dog in the fight, yet feel the need to explain to us trappers who have been excluded from these areas why we shouldn't be able to access these areas. Interesting isn't it, we don't read one post here from any of the fellas that have had these access points taken away on why we shouldn't be able to cross the tracks to access these areas. It's always someone who probably never has and never will attempt to access these areas for the purpose of trapping, hunting, and/or fishing. King George III would have loved you guys back in the day.

A stretch of my winter trapline is only accessible by walking across the tracks at several points off a major highway. This stretch of highway runs for eleven miles. On both ends of this eleven mile stretch, there is no way to access the 11-mile area by walking around the end and walking towards the middle, say five miles plus from each direction. There is no public access across the tracks. The tracks continue west and continue east, without a public crossing. So from the north, there is no access.

From the south side of this 11-mile stretch, there is the Lower Wisconsin River. It freezes up when it gets real cold, and opens back up when it gets into the 20s, if it hasn't been below zero for too long prior. It's shallow, and there is good current. You wouldn't want to try walking across it. The boat landings are not maintained during the winter. Some have frozen bays and/or snow on the ramps. If you can dump the boat into the river when there is chunk ice flowing downstream, you've got the bump and grind of cutting across the river through the ice chunks. When you land on the opposite bank, you've got quite a bit of marsh to walk through to access the areas just south of the tracks paralleling the highway. Some of it is frozen, some of it isn't. And when it gets real cold, you would have to pull traps as you couldn't cut across the river to get to the places where you still have another mile or so to walk through the marsh to get to the areas just south of the tracks.

So what we have here is this situation: there is no access from the north side of the river. There is limited access from the south side of the river if the weather is mild. Nobody runs a boat across this section of the Lower Wisconsin River in the winter. So there literally is no access.

Trapping Spot A is a five-minute walk from the truck across the tracks to the slough. The same spot is, weather permitting, a twenty to thirty-minute run up or down the river from a boat landing that may or may not be accessible, then a half mile jaunt through the bottoms, which might take the average fella what . . . ten to fifteen minutes to walk, or Boco five minutes.

Interesting when I read a thread about public lands being closed off to the public by more gates and fences here, there is usually an outcry on how we're losing access to "our" lands and waters. But when the railroad keeps us out of public lands and waters, some of you must hear a calling to tell us just how wrong we are and we should simply take it in the shorts and give up on the issue.

Well, I ain't giving up, I'm still checking sets by walking across the tracks, and if a bipartisan push to restore our rights to cross the tracks causes you to get loose in the bowels 'cause it's a BIPARTISAN campaign, well then diaper up me buckos.

The only thing I have to ask about your rant is, if it was your land that the general public wants to cross at their whim, would you be ok with it?

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767873
02/12/20 04:03 PM
02/12/20 04:03 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Not even hypothetical, it IS his land on the other side of the tracks. It's my land, too. And yours.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: hippie] #6767878
02/12/20 04:06 PM
02/12/20 04:06 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
. . . The only thing I have to ask about your rant is, if it was your land that the general public wants to cross at their whim, would you be ok with it?

Not a rant, rather an explanation to those who don't want to understand it. You are included.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767886
02/12/20 04:12 PM
02/12/20 04:12 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
So if you owned land between the public and public land, your be ok with anyone crossing you?

It's more common than you think if you haven't been out west and looked for a spot to get to BLM ground.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6767893
02/12/20 04:19 PM
02/12/20 04:19 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Muskrat
. . . The only thing I have to ask about your rant is, if it was your land that the general public wants to cross at their whim, would you be ok with it?

Not a rant, rather an explanation to those who don't want to understand it. You are included.

You think we don't have railroad tracks along every river here? Lol

I live and trap along a river that has tracks along its entire length!

We're not ignorant about what were talking about.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread