No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: AR15 Guys [Re: Zim] #6768155
02/12/20 08:56 PM
02/12/20 08:56 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline
trapper
redsnow  Offline
trapper
R

WV
Let me ask you guys what's your favorite scope for a black gun?

Not long ago I bought a Colt M-4, never shot the little thing yet. I've been told by several friends that I'd like it.

Re: AR15 Guys [Re: redsnow] #6768638
02/13/20 10:38 AM
02/13/20 10:38 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by redsnow
Let me ask you guys what's your favorite scope for a black gun?

Not long ago I bought a Colt M-4, never shot the little thing yet. I've been told by several friends that I'd like it.

mine isn't my favorite for the black gun , it is my favorite for black , brown , slug gun anything were the primary use will not be shooting little bug hole groups at distance or calculating targets at range but shooting game or varmint from 10 to 300 yards
not that I haven't taken 7x to 400yards very successfully and not that I haven't ranged targets it is a very good all purpose optic with generous eye relief and when I catch them on sale 129.99 normally 149.99 so I can aford to have them on many guns all with the same reticle so I know all the subtenses
Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II BDC hash reticle
shot a lot of running deer with the scope set to 2x
my son had been looking at scopes for his black gun , he borrowed my 308 with a 2-7x32 Vortex this year for deer hunting , I come over after he shot his deer form about 100 yards across a small hay field , he said ok I get it I understand why you like the 2-7 so much it is really fast on target and you watch the deer fall in the scope he came home and when he had the money saved up a 2-7x32 Vortex BDC-Hash now sits on his black gun.

no you won't co-witness irons
no it isn't tacticool
no it isn't high dollar , it is a really good budget optic
no spinny target turrets to play with or get bumped off walking

it does have numbered turrets that can be zero set without tools but if you have more than 12 minutes to dial for the distance your shooting you should consider a different optic
I also run them with a set of flip up caps to keep them clean but quick to use.

these images come from a ballistic calculator I have loaded on my phone called Strelock , the basic is free , I paid the one time 12 dollars for the pro version to be able to add more rifles and loads and such. it will even bring data in from a weather station if you have one at the range.

the horizontal hashes are 2moa apart , the vertical are 1.5moa , 4.5moa , 7.5moa and 11 moa

this is what it looks like on a 400 yard target it lets you see what the reticel looks like. these numbers are for my 308 load there was wind this day 10-20mph gusting this image is set for 15mph full value wind
[Linked Image]

this one is set for my 223 load
[Linked Image]

this one is mounted on the 30-06 I shot my buck with this year running at 125 yards worked well
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/13/20 10:46 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: AR15 Guys [Re: Zim] #6768654
02/13/20 11:03 AM
02/13/20 11:03 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Zim
I am building a new one, kind of on the upper scale of things.
I would like your opinions on 223 Wylde versus 5.56 NATO chamber.
Hoping to keep the upper at 1K or so, 2K or a bit more finished with lower and scope.
Thoughts on a 16" or 18" barrel?

Thanks, Zim

Keep your receipts, you know for when Muskrats Governor wants to "buy it back".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread