No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
First trap line in 15 years. #6770561
02/14/20 11:06 PM
02/14/20 11:06 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana

I have been taking sons 9 and 7 and daughter 17 hunting, and fishing since ther could walk. My daughter found her first moral when she was 3 I have no idea how many deer she has killed. My boys shot 5 this year. The youngest got his first with a 7mm08 at 96 yards and his 2nd with a x bow this year . My 9 year old shot 3 one with a 243 and 2 with supresed 300 black out. I think he is up to 7 deer now. They cast, bait, and unhook their own fish.

Point being I have them covered on the outdoor front. Or so I thought.

When they can't hunt or fish thay have been watching a lot of hunting and fishing u tube videos. Around the 2nd week of January I noticed they were watching traping videos I was pleased. After two days of nonstop traping videos it hit me I have never taught them to trap other than the occasional problem chicken killer. I felt like the largest failure as a father. Out to round up my traps I went only to discover very few remained. So I bought a few more and rounded up some leftovers snares.

I started out only to trap on our farm 96 acres for coon and coyotes. I'm gone for work for days at a time but only traping the farm my boys can run the line while I'm away and freeze them. We caught a few coons in dp a, foot holds, snares, even live traps. Doing my best to teach them how to use them all. When they connected with their first coyote of the year a large Male in a dirt hole with a bridger #2 dogless I was away at work but so proud and excited( almost as excited as they were) I sent the picture my wife sent me to all of my friends on my contact list. One being a neighbor about 1.5 miles down the road. That lead to an invitation to trap his place . He wanted to remove all the farm predators and beaver.

Being late in the year and my boys young age along with me being gone part time the logistics stunk. But I put out sets for a few days. His place is on a 22 mile creek that runs into the Ohio River. It has steep drop off and the water level goes from wading to fast flowing and deep over night. I talked my wife into taking them over in the car so they could run the line on their 4 wheeler. But not wanting them near the creek without me or having to deal with a large beaver I tripped all the sets, and snares near the water and only left the k9 sets up in my absence. They had a toe catch that left two pads and nails behind. Almond with another young mud ball yote and of course the set clogging opossums and coons.

I was able to connect on two beaver in snare and 2 on caster mound sets in mb 750s on downers. My first attempt at beaver with a foothold and castermound set. I never target beaver unless they are and add on faver to the land owner or just happen to be in the area I'm traping. That said being how pricey beaver traps are I only had one 330 and normally also used snares for them. Always wanting to try a new technique or set I saw the opportunity to try caster mound sets so picked up 2 mb 750s. Had one on the first check another on the 2nd.

I'm a was never more than a novice trapper and have a tone to learn but its wonderful to pass my limited knowledge along to my young boys and build knowledge together. I had forgot how much fun trapping was. I see myself adding several more dozen traps this year and getting started much earlier next season.

Out count for the year is 12 coons, 4 opossum, 2 coyotes, and 4 beaver. I still have a few coyote and beaver sets out but will probably pull them on Friday and conclude our season. Not record breaking numbers but fare with the late start limited # of sets, limit time they were out, and my limited ability.

I plan in having everything tanned for the boys and having a beaver tail bill fold and leatherman sheath made by Randy on hear that looks to do great work.

If you made it this far I am proud to be able to be a part of such a great fourm with helpful knowledgeable trappers. I have picked up a lot reading this form.

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770567
02/14/20 11:12 PM
02/14/20 11:12 PM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
Good deal. Sounds like your doing a good job as a father. I have a 5 yr old daughter and boys that are 7 and 9 and they all love the outdoors

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770568
02/14/20 11:13 PM
02/14/20 11:13 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Welcome enjoy your stay.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770591
02/14/20 11:30 PM
02/14/20 11:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Man that sounds like a great season and a great opportunity for your boys! Congrats!!

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770596
02/14/20 11:33 PM
02/14/20 11:33 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Way to go.

Nevada bound
Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770600
02/14/20 11:35 PM
02/14/20 11:35 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Welcome to Tman

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770614
02/14/20 11:47 PM
02/14/20 11:47 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

It's not easy working out of town and raising kids. Great job man.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6770628
02/14/20 11:56 PM
02/14/20 11:56 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Good job, you should be proud.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: FairbanksLS] #6770666
02/15/20 12:26 AM
02/15/20 12:26 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by gray dog

It's not easy working out of town and raising kids. Great job man.

You are correct sir. But honestly it's hard on me but my wife get all the credit for holding everything together. I'm a lucky man. She did even complain and actually was who suggested I let some frozen coons and coyote thaw out in the bath tub. I don't have a heated building other than the house, yet.

Now if I can just get confident and competent putting up out fur.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6772964
02/16/20 09:52 PM
02/16/20 09:52 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
My boys and I cought another coyote this morning. They were beyond excited and my 7 year old dispatched it and it didn't even kick.

I had a few of the coons and a coyote that was disguised as a mud ball in the round they cought and froze when I was gone at work thawed out. I got them skinned gave them my best standard washing out and still was not satisfied. Having just read here about guys running them through a washing machine I thought I would give that a try. I will admit I was concerned about them getting tore up but trusted the wisdom of the hive. I put ia small amount double what I would use to wash of shampoo in with them and went to cut wood. When I returned to check on them not only were not damaged they looked amazing. Shiny fluffy and clean thank you Traper man.

Re: First trap line in 15 years. [Re: Providence Farm] #6773074
02/16/20 10:27 PM
02/16/20 10:27 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
My boys and I cought another coyote this morning. They were beyond excited and my 7 year old dispatched it and it didn't even kick.

I had a few of the coons and a coyote that was disguised as a mud ball in the round they cought and froze when I was gone at work thawed out. I got them skinned gave them my best standard washing out and still was not satisfied. Having just read here about guys running them through a washing machine I thought I would give that a try. I will admit I was concerned about them getting tore up but trusted the wisdom of the hive. I put ia small amount double what I would use to wash of shampoo in with them and went to cut wood. When I returned to check on them not only were not damaged they looked amazing. Shiny fluffy and clean thank you Traper man.

Really Awesome!!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread