No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6768472
02/13/20 06:31 AM
02/13/20 06:31 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
It's common sense to think if you want something of value you should expect to pay for it unless the other party is willing to give it to you or you have a legal right to it.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Dirt] #6768564
02/13/20 09:02 AM
02/13/20 09:02 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Dirt
[Linked Image]

I'll educate your trappers how to access your public land.

But thats TOO HARD. grin grin

Muskrat admits there is access but its not easy.

Even if the is ABSOLUTELY no way to get access that doesn't mean that private property rights should be ignored.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6768590
02/13/20 09:35 AM
02/13/20 09:35 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
If there was absolutely no access, the state should sell the land and buy some land that is accessible. They would have to sell it to the railroad since they're the only ones with access to it, and it should be sold at fair market value.

Access across open water or solid ice is fine, except it's a river so it's rarely one or the other between December and March.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6768660
02/13/20 11:06 AM
02/13/20 11:06 AM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
How about the State using it's Power of Eminent Domain to seize sections of Railroad tracks , just to provide crossings , and creating a Federal Law that states wherever there is any type of Railroad crossing, whether it be a private or public railroad crossing; the Railroad or Railways shall at all times allow access to use the crossing . In instances where rail cars are parked for whatever reason, there shall be rail cars unhooked so that all traffic, people and vehicles of any type, shall be allowed to use the crossings at all times of the day or night.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Dirt] #6769941
02/14/20 12:38 PM
02/14/20 12:38 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirt
[Linked Image]

I'll educate your trappers how to access your public land.

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Nice pic Dirt. Now hold that thought til Friday morning.

Well, it's Friday, and with the cold snap predicted here's what you've got in front of you if you need to check those sets across the river that could have been accessed by a five-minute walk from the highway across the tracks on the north side of the river into public lands and waters.

The boat landing. See that chunky look to the snow at the top of the ramp? That's ice left over from earlier this winter when the river was up into the parking lot and it froze.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you should decide to launch here and skid the boat across the ice, here's what you've got to look forward to soon as you hit the current. The pics don't give a good idea of how fast the current is moving alongside the shoreline.

[Linked Image]

Now slide along the bank 'til the engine warms up.

[Linked Image]

Now head across the river.

[Linked Image]

Or you might take the upstream landing which drops off into current, thus no bay to freeze up. It's there, just look for the parking lot.

[Linked Image]

Then fire 'er up and head on down the river.

[Linked Image]

Soon as this starts jamming together it will freeze tight, looking more like scree than lake ice. You can see that starting already close to the shore here.

So Dirt, educate me on how to cross this to access public lands and waters. You might get across there today, but guaranteed tomorrow it will be locked up. And if you think you're going to walk across it, best prepare your funeral plans now, IF they find your body down around New Orleans come spring.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6769956
02/14/20 12:49 PM
02/14/20 12:49 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
[Linked Image]

What's that thing on the other bank behind my boat?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Canvasback2] #6769986
02/14/20 01:20 PM
02/14/20 01:20 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by gray dog
It's common sense to think if you want something of value you should expect to pay for it unless the other party is willing to give it to you or you have a legal right to it.

No its common sense that the tradition of allowing foot traffic should have established an easement.
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
How about the State using it's Power of Eminent Domain to seize sections of Railroad tracks , just to provide crossings , and creating a Federal Law that states wherever there is any type of Railroad crossing, whether it be a private or public railroad crossing; the Railroad or Railways shall at all times allow access to use the crossing . In instances where rail cars are parked for whatever reason, there shall be rail cars unhooked so that all traffic, people and vehicles of any type, shall be allowed to use the crossings at all times of the day or night.

^^^ If they dont want to play ball do this.

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6770002
02/14/20 01:43 PM
02/14/20 01:43 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Did my best to try to figure out how to post some maps, etc. but can't....

The problems and access restrictions created by the railroad restriction are huge over here on the west side of Wisconsin. The train tracks run north and south along the Mississippi
River, most of which is the Upper Mississippi River Refuge, both lands and waters. We are effectively cut off from thousands of acres of lands that we historically had walk-in access for hunting and trapping after crossing the tracks. Most of these areas are not accessible by boat even in the best of conditions. Many of these areas are huge blocks of land cut by the tracks with either federal or state lands being divided. Comparing this to a simple private versus public lands access issue is comparing apples to oranges.

Moosetrot

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Moosetrot] #6770021
02/14/20 02:08 PM
02/14/20 02:08 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Did my best to try to figure out how to post some maps, etc. but can't....

Moosetrot

This is a pretty good interactive map of the Mississippi river. https://lacrossetribune.com/limited...9ab87bf-7e4e-5a25-9002-c03fe2bf02c2.html

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 02/14/20 02:09 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: FairbanksLS] #6770097
02/14/20 03:17 PM
02/14/20 03:17 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Donnersurvivor,

Apparently You missed this post of mine.

Originally Posted by gray dog
Canvasback2,

Look up New York State laws about prescriptive easements and easements of necessity which can be found on the internet. If you are serious about determining what you legal rights are you will hire an attorney or contact Donnersurvivor on this forum.

Good luck.

Last edited by gray dog; 02/14/20 05:50 PM.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6770099
02/14/20 03:18 PM
02/14/20 03:18 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Just wondering if it's patrolled heavily. What are the chances of even being caught crossing?

No Jab.
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6770176
02/14/20 04:34 PM
02/14/20 04:34 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
People complain about the thought of eminent domain being used to get access, but wasn't it eminent domain that took their property to build the railroad in the first place?

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6770811
02/15/20 08:22 AM
02/15/20 08:22 AM
Taylor county, Wisconsin
T
Twisted metal Offline
trapper
Twisted metal  Offline
trapper
T

Taylor county, Wisconsin
I love hard to access land because of less pressure. Private property is just that if I worked hard and own it that should mean no one but me has any right to hunt fish or trap unless permission is given. I think people should stop crying about it get off there a$$ and work a little harder.

Life member NRA
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Twisted metal] #6770899
02/15/20 09:52 AM
02/15/20 09:52 AM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Originally Posted by Twisted metal
I love hard to access land because of less pressure. Private property is just that if I worked hard and own it that should mean no one but me has any right to hunt fish or trap unless permission is given. I think people should stop crying about it get off there a$$ and work a little harder.

Once again, in this case, it is many thousands of acres of public land that is effectively cut off to the tax paying and license buying citizens of this state. Land that was accessible for the entire lives of some members here on this site. It is not a matter of your fellow trappers not willing to put in the effort as the available legal access points are such that a 10 mile or more circuitous route over ever changing conditions during the open season basically prevents any use of the public resource. Common sense needs to take the lead on this issue and collectively we should be encouraging the continuing outdoor pursuits of our fellow trappers, hunters and fisherman, many who now are senior in age, on lands owned by all of us without the ad hominem attacks. Contact your State Senator and State Representative and support the legislation needed so that the law can be reasonable changed to allow for foot traffic straight across the tracks to the public lands on the other side!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6770933
02/15/20 10:15 AM
02/15/20 10:15 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So looking at the rats pictures of all that floating Ice why would you want to be out there any way? And even If you could cross the tracks at any point you would still have to drag your boat across and what would be the point when you have conditions like shown In the pictures.

But If the boat landing Is un useable just get some one with a plow and pay him $40.00 to clean It out. Think out of the box.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Twisted metal] #6770935
02/15/20 10:16 AM
02/15/20 10:16 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin

More apples and oranges.

Moosetrot

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Twisted metal] #6770939
02/15/20 10:20 AM
02/15/20 10:20 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI

There are more things here in play than just walking across the tracks in straight line..
People who don't know this area just say come at it from a different direction..Fine.. I own an airboat, flatboat with motor, a quad runner, canoe, couple kayak's...get the picture..
Most of the area we are talking about is a Federal National wild life refuge.. So there are areas I can not legally run the airboat or a mud motor and this is during trapping season. Which I also have to have a different additional permit to trap on that land..Then take the quad right or snowmobile. Well good but you can only run the quad or snowmobile on the ice can't cross any land or islands..
Nothing like drive 2 miles paying to launch the airboat.. then using $25.00 dollars worth fuel to get to a place can trap rats worth $2.50. Before I could drive 2 mile park truck pull otter sled 20 yards straight across track. Hike couple yards start setting traps..

We all talk about getting more kids involved in outdoors.. When I was a kid I spent hours fishing and crawling around in these places. Now there not accessible to kids.. But I guess them kids are just lazy or they would find time and a way to get in there.. Just need to remember can only check traps during day light hours.. Oh and if your out past dark fishing or what ever..don't leave the truck and trailer at the boat landing where you paid to park. Might get a ticket for $50.00.. No over night parking allowed.. And that is a whole different battle with different folks.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: The Beav] #6771098
02/15/20 12:19 PM
02/15/20 12:19 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by The Beav
So looking at the rats pictures of all that floating Ice why would you want to be out there any way? And even If you could cross the tracks at any point you would still have to drag your boat across and what would be the point when you have conditions like shown In the pictures.

But If the boat landing Is un useable just get some one with a plow and pay him $40.00 to clean It out. Think out of the box.

C'mon Beav. Do I have to draw ya a picture? Hmmm . . maybe I do. Me thinks you've been in the box way too long.

Now I can either park the truck on the north side of the river, walk across the highway, the tracks and into the marsh to the nearest 'rat hut, all of which would take 5 minutes, OR . . . drop the boat in at a landing on the south shore (there are none on the north shore in this 11-mile stretch) motor up/down stream to the edge of the marsh/swamp, then walk through the bottoms up to that hut, that is maybe thirty yards from the highway. And that's if the river is open. Make sense now?

[Linked Image]

Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6771150
02/15/20 12:55 PM
02/15/20 12:55 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I'd go across the tracks with the ice that bad myself.

Nevada bound
Re: Crossing railroad tracks to access public lands [Re: Muskrat] #6771158
02/15/20 01:01 PM
02/15/20 01:01 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Kind of glad I left Wisconsin before this was an issue

NRA and NTA Life Member