No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774894
02/18/20 12:44 PM
02/18/20 12:44 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
Look up tree stabilizer rods. I think that is what you are looking for. I can't answer the care or other questions but I have looked at fiberglass as well.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774897
02/18/20 12:47 PM
02/18/20 12:47 PM
NH
T
trapNH Offline
trapper
trapNH  Offline
trapper
T

NH
If I had to jump thru all those hoops, he would be paying plenty per beaver.

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774904
02/18/20 12:56 PM
02/18/20 12:56 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
This Is how I trapped beaver when I first started out. We didn't have BGs at the time so It was foot holds only.

We staked out In deep water with a steel fence post. We used 10' of chain between the trap and the stake. Then we attached a rail road tie plate or a sash weight as close to the trap as possible. Those weights weighed about 5 Lbs to 10 lbs each. The beaver would be caught and head for the deeper water but with the trap and the weight hanging On It's foot It soon tired out and drowned. Most of the time they made at least 2 turns around the stake before wearing down.
We tried to target a front foot since you can drown a beaver In 2' of water. If you have deeper water then I would try and target a hind foot. A beaver will tire rather quickly with this set up.
We never even considered a drowning rod or cable slides. If you go this route just leave all the gear behind and then you won't have to keep hauling It back and forth.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774907
02/18/20 01:01 PM
02/18/20 01:01 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
He's looking for help locating
Fiberglass rods

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774908
02/18/20 01:04 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
No need for all that stuff.
When I read the initial post I assumed he was looking for a simple drowning method.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774910
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I cannot find someone selling the kit shown here ( with) the hex key stops

I went to Mike Kelly's site and it says sold out.

Heres his pictures https://www.wildrivertraps.com/

Last edited by 330-Trapper; 02/18/20 01:07 PM.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: trapNH] #6774912
02/18/20 01:08 PM
02/18/20 01:08 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by trapNH
If I had to jump thru all those hoops, he would be paying plenty per beaver.

Whole different ball game in this state. There is some VERY well off people here. I had a gig for a gentleman who owned at least 6 houses scattered across the world. Bond trader/hedge fund manager or something like that.
He had contacted me about some ADC work , lots of hurdles and hoops to jump through , had to be available 24/7 for this client.

He paid me $2200 to remove 4 raccoons , 1 possum. He was very happy and paid promptly. Job took 5 days.

Hope he calls again. I love jumping through those types of hoops.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774914
02/18/20 01:09 PM
02/18/20 01:09 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Hiding trapping activity from people who don't understand it is the reason it's being banned by more states and municipalities every year. Take the time to educate people out in the open, or tell them to find another trapper willing to operate in the shadows and allow the folks that NEED trapping to pretend it doesn't exist, and let their kids continue to be ignorant.

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774915
02/18/20 01:10 PM
02/18/20 01:10 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
You can make drowning rods out of 1/4" rod. You need to use a loop on each end with a cable stake to hold both ends solid. Not as easy to use but a lot lighter than 1/2" rebar.

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6774925
02/18/20 01:28 PM
02/18/20 01:28 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
amleo.com

They sell the 10' 3/8 " fiberglass rods.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Cragar] #6775247
02/18/20 05:46 PM
02/18/20 05:46 PM
Ct
S
Swamp Yankee Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Yankee  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ct
So to elaborate alittle more part of the problem is he had another trapper on there before me who apparently morals and ethics were not a top priority. He used chains, cables or wire and didn't properly weight them down and his family had to bear witness while they ate lunch to a very mad beaver that had pulled his weight up on shore and tangled in the wire when the guy showed up be proceeded to bludgeon the beaver to death with an axe. While I'm going to guess this family watched. On numerous occasions they caught said trapper using their property as his own to hunt fish trap and bring friends along. So I can understand why he is very weary on letting people in so if it means playing his game with his ball on his field to try and restore faith in trappers or the locals in general I feel it is my duty to take the beating. I will say that this gentleman has given me more and more every year this year is the second year he's allowed me to hunt his property. Which he offered to me I did not ask for that right. The first year working for him he accompanied me on every check and the setting and removal of traps and he kept detailed records of my doings. For those of you who answered my question thank you. But please dont pass judgement on a land owner that one of our own took advantage of.

“The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom.” - President Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6775251
02/18/20 05:53 PM
02/18/20 05:53 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee
So to elaborate alittle more part of the problem is he had another trapper on there before me who apparently morals and ethics were not a top priority. He used chains, cables or wire and didn't properly weight them down and his family had to bear witness while they ate lunch to a very mad beaver that had pulled his weight up on shore and tangled in the wire when the guy showed up be proceeded to bludgeon the beaver to death with an axe. While I'm going to guess this family watched. On numerous occasions they caught said trapper using their property as his own to hunt fish trap and bring friends along. So I can understand why he is very weary on letting people in so if it means playing his game with his ball on his field to try and restore faith in trappers or the locals in general I feel it is my duty to take the beating. I will say that this gentleman has given me more and more every year this year is the second year he's allowed me to hunt his property. Which he offered to me I did not ask for that right. The first year working for him he accompanied me on every check and the setting and removal of traps and he kept detailed records of my doings. For those of you who answered my question thank you. But please dont pass judgement on a land owner that one of our own took advantage of.

Great post. I enjoy when landowners/managers get involved as well. I even enjoy sleeping in a little when they want check my sets on their property. I enjoy the questions through text or phone calls. I enjoy the pics they share showing me where they see critters. I enjoy them getting involved with it all. If they eventually start trapping themselves and I don’t get to trap their property, then that’s fine as well. I talked to the “kid” checking my traps in the mornings and told him if he ever has something else going on that I can check them. His response...Heck Mr. Mark, don’t take my anticipation and excitement away from me, I look forward to checking traps every morning!

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6775271
02/18/20 06:07 PM
02/18/20 06:07 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I have had to trap on properties with regulations but nothing that tight

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #7450331
01/04/22 04:28 AM
01/04/22 04:28 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Swamp Yankee -

Yes I see this is old.

You have a very good arrangement with that landowner! I love those jobs so long as they don’t try to infringe on my morals or ethics (rare). I welcome their specificity because I can meet their terms, impress them, enjoy the work, and charge them for it.

He offered the deer hunting precisely because you did not ask.

Did you get set up with drowning rods?

Best wishes.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Drowner rods.... gotta be a better way [Re: Swamp Yankee] #7450351
01/04/22 06:48 AM
01/04/22 06:48 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Gator foots suggestion of leaving them onsite, if an option, is good one.

If it were me in typical conditions I encounter here, I would use 1/2” rebar stakes, 60” long with an annealed nut smashed onto it a foot off the bottom and a crosspiece near the top for a deepwater stake. If there isn’t a bottom that would solidly support a stake there, scratch deepwater staking and stick to rods.

I would carry several adjustable cable sliders per stake. This would allow making multiple sets per deepwater stake. The shallow anchor point can be stake or earth anchor. Each adjustable (important part) cable would be rigged with a cam lock and a flat stock toggle for the slider and a cam lock with loop for the adjustment on top. The toggle allows for easily swapping out traps. The adjustment will make your life much easier when setting them up. 1/8” 7x19 cable is what I use. If you use this setup and keep it taut, you get use after use from them. You could replace the sliders with wire if that’s how you do things.

Just trying to give suggestions for lightening the load carried. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread